Home > Categories > Protein > Casein Protein > Muscle Pharm > Combat > Reviews

Combat

By Muscle Pharm
Combat Muscle Pharm
7.8/10
(Weighted average based on 52 Reviews)

Ranks #12 of 21 (better than 45%)
in Protein > Casein Protein

birdman2211

birdman2211's Combat Review

After a long break from SR.com, I've decided to come back for a couple of reviews of a few products that I have impressed me over the last year. I know its difficult to review protein powder because its almost impossible to feel or see the effects of them. So I like to judge them by price, mixability, taste and amino acid profile. This is where Muscle Pharm Combat shines in all those areas. Thanks to Petey for recommending Combat to me almost a year ago, I've been on the bandwagon ever since! After taking all types and brands over the last 14 years, Combat is now is my personal favorite.

Combat is a time-released protein blend. Containing whey isolate, whey hydroslate, micellar casein and egg white albumen. Claims to feed muscles for up to 8 hours. Combat also has a added digestive enzyme blend for ease of absorption. Muscle Pharm also claim they added extra bcaa's and glutamine to blend but does not specify how much was actually added. The supplement facts I feel are pretty dang solid. 130 cals, 2.5g of fat, 3 net carbs and 24g of protein. Another important feature of this protein is there is not a lot of unnecessary fillers added. I feel Muscle Pharm did a great job on keeping it clean.

-Taste 10/10: Hands down the best tasting protein I've ever had! I've had chocolate milk, peanut butter, cookies n'cream, banana cream, orange creamsicil and vanilla. Rarely do ever find that all flavors are amazing! My GF even loves it and shes extremely picky when it comes to protein shakes.

-Mixibility 10/10: When mixed in a standard shaker cup the mixibility is superb! Never had any clumps or anthing left over in the bottom. There is no grittiness taste, just smooth, light consistency from start to finish.

-Effectivness 9/10: This area is hard to measure with protein powders. However, I never had any issues with digestion. Combat never gave me the protein farts that I would sometimes get with other powders. Combat would also keep me full for a few hours at a time. Just wish they would break down the amino profile to see what your actually getting extra.

-Value 9/10: You can find Combat for around 39.99 for a 4 lbs jug with 52 servings which I thought was very reasonable. Comes out to 77 cents per scoop. Not the best priced but not going to break the bank either.

-Overall 9/10: Overall I give Combat a solid 9 because nothing is perfect, however Combat is very close. I currently have 4 jugs of Combat in my supplemet closet, thats how much I enjoy this protein! I am a huge fan and highly recommend it to anyone who wants an amazing tasting, smooth and all around great protein shake.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Superior Mixability
  • Great Digestion
  • Nothing

Blade410

Posted March 9, 2013
Omg. A truly epic birdman review. From a legend.

deumcole

The Birdman lives!

WarMachine

Posted March 9, 2013
Glad to see you back bird, superb review!!!

kevO

Posted March 9, 2013
Back from the brink, the legend comes out of hiding. Great to see u back Bird!!!

birdman2211

Posted March 9, 2013
I really apperciate the kind words gentleman!!! I can't believe how much SR has grown since my absence. Its great to see my "old school" brothers still on here and like always give out great advise!!!

Meuth

Posted March 10, 2013
I have been thinking about this one for a while. Now that Myfusion is garbage, I may have to pick this one up! Thanks Bird!

workoutguru

Posted March 10, 2013
Welcome back birdman. Nice review you did on this product. I just may have to check this out.

IMO its a great produc

I have to say, before using any Muscle Pharm product, I was very skeptical of their effectiveness and quality of their products. I would say this is the highest quality supplement they produce IMO of course. I was highly impressed with Combat, and heres why.

First off the protein ingredients where very top notch. The protein blend consisted of fast to slow digesting proteins such as, whey protein isolate, Partially hydrolyzed whey protein, Micellar Casein (highest quality of casein,) Whey Protein concentrate, and Egg Albumin. Another great feature to their blend is a digestive enzyme blend which is, Protease and Lactase, to help fully digest the proteins for their maximum utilization. Also dont forget about the BCAA blend; , L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine; Alanine, Lysine, Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan. With all that being said, what impresses me the most is their protein blend which is near perfect when it comes to digestive ratio.

Effectiveness: 9/10- I took one scoop in skim milk every night before I went to bed, and I noticed every time I woke up, it seemed my muscles were full as if I still had a gym pump. My strength increases were decent but still something, also I noticed I was less sore with Combat then I was with glutalyn alone. So with strength increases, improved muscle fullness, and better recovery, I would give the effectiveness a 9.

Taste: 6/10- This is were the downside came with Combat, the taste. I purchased chocolate milk twice (dont know why. The taste had me thinking I was drinking chocolate milk that was warm and preserved in a cardboard box, it literally tasted like cardboard chocolate. Even with milk and some pb it really didnt change the taste. Also the mixing was a little tuff, it would clump even with water, and it was very thick to put down. But in all fairness, it was tolerable, but not enjoyable. I give the taste a 6.

Value: 8/10- Another great pro to Combat was its price. I purchased mine at bb.com for $39.00 for 52 servings. IMO that is a very good deal and fairly affordable. For such a high quality protein blend for a reasonable price, I give the value an 8.

Overall: 8/10- After everything being said, IMO its a great product. Yes, the taste isnt good but again it is tolerable. But what makes Combat a good product is its protein blend along with its price for serving. All in all I would recommend this to anyone whos looking for a high quality protein blend with a nice value, but that doesnt mind the taste. So, I would give the overall an 8. I will definitely try more Muscle Pharm products within the future.

• But Tolerable
  • Can Be Tough To Mix With Cold Liquids

sorry for the typos lol

Manimal

Bro, LEGIT review!

toolhead

Posted August 6, 2010
Excellent review. I found the taste a bit off at first too, but i found it all depends on the portioning. For me around 1 1/2 cups of skim milk for every scoop tastes excellent.

Posted August 6, 2010
@ manimal- Thanks brotha!

@toolhead- You know what I even tried that man, but for me the taste just wouldnt budge.

Posted August 6, 2010
Great Review! How would you compare it to other protein blends such as Syntha-6, Elite 12, or Probolic... If you tried any of those that is.

Posted August 7, 2010
I have never tried probolic or elite 12, but I have tried syntha 6 and I would definitely say this is better both in price, quality, and effectiveness.

Posted August 7, 2010
i just picked ordered this instead of my usual probolic sr. 35 grams of amino acids? wow

Posted August 7, 2010
picked up an order of this*

Posted August 7, 2010
Could this be better than ON Gold Standard Casein for late night?

Posted August 7, 2010
Nice review have heard a lot of good thing about this and now with this I'll probably look into getting a jug.

Posted August 7, 2010
I tried the choc milk also, not big on it. Got a jug of the chocolate peanut butter and that is a 9! IMO THIS IS BEST PROTEIN BY FAR. Better then ON Gold and dymatize.

Posted August 8, 2010
Try the s'mores soo good best tasting protein I've actually ever had. And I just mix it in water imagine with milk mmmmm

Posted August 8, 2010
Do you consider a wise choice to drink the specific supplement before sleeping?
Is it actually slow released supplement?

Posted August 8, 2010
THANKS MAN! I THOUGHT THE ONE I ORDERED WAS FAKE... NOW I KNOW THAT IT REALLY DOES TASTE LIKE INSTANT CHOCO MIX OR CARDBOARK CHOCOLATE. THIS IS A GOOD REVIEW FOR ME. :)

workoutguru

Let's Go To Combat.

This is my first experience with Muscle Pharms Combat protein. A few months ago they started selling this at Costco and thought I would give it a try. They have a special on this that you can only get at Costco. Costco is the only place that sells a 5lb container of this with 65 servings in it. If you order this online the biggest size you can find is a 4lb tub with 52 servings.

Ingredients:
Zinc 0%
Copper 0%
Featuring Omegawaveâ„¢
Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix 35g **
Alanine, Leucine, Lysine Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine,Tyrosine,Valine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan, Glutamic Acid
Combat Powderâ„¢ Proprietary Time Release System **
Whey Protein Isolate, Partially Hydrolized Whey Protein, Micellular Casein,Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg Albumin, L-Glutamine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin (Dutch Process), Digestive Enzyme Blend.

This is an Advanced time release protein. This has a pretty decent ingredient profile I think. It says on the label that this will feed your muscles up to 8 hours. This has 5 different sources of protein fast, medium, and slow digesting and I will explain each of them.

Whey Protein Hydrolysate
Broken down into faster absorbing peptides, this rapidly infuses muscle-building amino acid.

Whey Protein Isolate
Digests and absorbs rapidly and is, gram for gram, the highest available yield of protein.

Whey Protein Concentrate
Closest to whole food and contains real subfractions.

Egg Albumin
Highly bioavailable and is high in BCAA's and arginine, contributing to hormone productions and muscle building.

Micellar Casein
Digests slowly, infusing valuable amino acids over several hours.

Value:
For this special 5lb tub they are selling it for $42.99 for 65 servings. If you order the 4lb tub online you only get 52 servings and the price I have seen for that is around $40 plus shipping. I feel this is a pretty good deal they have at Costco plus you get 15 more servings.

Taste/mixability/dosing:
Right now the only flavor they have at Costco is cookies & cream flavor. From what I heard this is the only place you can get the cookies & cream flavor but I am not for sure on that. This reminded me of eating an ice cream chocolate chip cookie. I thought it tasted really good but as I got towards the end of the container I was starting to get a little tired of this flavor even thought I liked it. I wish they could get a couple more flavors so I could switch it up a little so I don't get tired of the same flavor all the time.

Mixability:
There were no issue at all with this mixing up. It mixed up real nicely and had a very smooth texture to it.

Dosing:
I always took one full scoop after each workout for recovery mainly and to help tide me over a little until I could eat supper later in the evening. I always start my workouts around 3pm or so and would take this around 5:30pm after my workout. This would also be good to take at night before bed or in the morning because of the different type of proteins in this.

It's hard to tell how well a protein product in general really works and if it's effective. I do believe this worked pretty good for me. I feel I built a little more muscle mass on this and leaned up some. I was a lot less sore the next day or two after some really hard workouts. Had no issues at all with digestion. I really enjoyed the different kinds of protein they put in this. This seemed to keep me feeling more full a few hours after I took this. It was good getting some of these different proteins in me if I knew I was not going to be eating for awhile after my workouts. It's nice having the added BCAA's they put in this for recovery but a better breakdown of how much they put in this would be kind of nice to know.

Overall:
I feel this was a pretty solid protein and I would for sure recommend it. If you ever make it into a Costco store and are in the need of a good protein product this I would highly recommend. I am for sure going to be getting this again which I all ready have done. It's just a great all around protein and for the price it makes it a pretty good deal I think. I just wish Costco could get a few more flavors to sell also.

• Gained Lean Muscle

Jpotter21's Combat Review

So nothing really special here guys, this is honestly a review you can probably pass up. Lol its just protein. Here is Muscle Pharm Combat.

MP combat is actually marketed as a timed release protein. It is basically a protein blend which can feed your muscles for up to 8 hours. It does this by having 5 different protein sources, consisting of fast digesting and slow digesting. We have Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Whey Hydrosolate, Micellar Casien, and Egg White Albunem. All in all a pretty decent variety of protein. Its 25g per scoop, with a 33g scooper. So not the best protein per scoop ratio, but MP does add some other things as well. They have added BCAA's and Glutamine as well. So your not getting a bunch of fillers you dont need. They also add in a digestive enzyme blend to. So I actually really like the ingredient profile, and feel this is marketed well for what it should be used for.

Taste 7/10- Okay so this is my major gripe with all Muscle Pharm products, they are so sweet! I had the smores flavor which literally tasted like a synthetic smores. You must certainly got the smores flavor, but it was way to sweet for my tastes. I found myself drinking this with 20oz of water just to help combat it, no pun intended. The problem was, even then it was still sweet. I've ran into this problem with Recon, and Assult as well. The artificial sweeteners they use are bananas. If you like things that are extremely sweet, give it a shot. But if you don't this is not your protein.

Effectiveness 7/10- So I feel like protein is something hard to rate effectiveness on. I used this a couple of different ways. I used this post workout for a while before I started using Humapro, and I felt its recovery was actually pretty decent. It would also keep me full for a couple of hours before my next meal which is always a plus. The digestive enzyme blend gave me gas, which was awesome because it didnt stink but they were just loud farts. My ex girlfriend told me it sounded like a goose, score. But it also helped to keep my bowel movements regular. So it definitely helps with digestion.

I also used this pre bed. Seeing as its marketed as an 8 hour muscle feeding protein. Well we all try to get 8 hours of sleep a night, so it works perfect for pre bed protein. I noticed while doing this I wouldn't wake up as sore the next morning, and I wasn't nearly as hungry. Again it also helped keeping bowels moving regularly. So all in all I feel like a 7 is fair for its effectiveness.

Value 6/10- This is also another gripe I have with MP. Their value is just off. When they relabeled their products, this almost always ensues a price increase btw, they switched their serving sizes around. Which I feel ultimately slashed the value on some of their products. this being one of them. this is a 4 lb tub with 48 servings. I used two scoops which cuts it to 24 servings. The price I paid was around 33 dollars. So for me it was roughly $1.37 a day which is a little high for me. Now if you use just one scoop you are getting around $.68 a day which isnt to bad. I got a little under a month with this so for me personally the value was not all that great. I feel like it could fluctuate depending on ones personal goals and budget.

Overall 7/10- So overall I give it a 7, which I feel is pretty fair. I feel it does what it is advertised to do, but it has some shortcomings. Both of those which are subjective to the user. Price and taste are both personal depending on your buds and pocket. So if you are looking for a time released protein, Muscle Pharm Combat may be what your looking for. Check it out.

• Wish It Was A 5lb Tub
    • Made Me Fart

Mooselini

Posted July 10, 2012
    I actually hated this protein didnt feel like it worked at all will stick to MTS . Good review homie

Posted July 10, 2012
    MTS is on my to try list if I ever get back to using whey. I have fallen in love with Humapro, and will probably continue to use that. Thanks for the input and +rep.

Mooselini

Posted July 10, 2012
    Does humapro fill you up?

Posted July 10, 2012
    Oddly, I can comment on this only because I just realized it, lol yes it does for me at least. For whatever reason when I take it post workout it seems to subside my hunger for an hour at least. Biggest benefit I find with it is muscle hardness, and just the over all 30g of protein per serving with no calories. Impressive stuff.

slysteps's Combat Review

oh combat powder. sweet sweet sweet combat powder. this right heeyuh is my favorite protein powder thus far. one of its selling points being the multiple forms of protein, with different digestion rates that will "feed your muscles for up to 8 hours".

the nutritional profile 10: 1 serving...

the nutritional profile 10: 1 serving is 130 calories-2.5g fat-4g carbs-24g protein. this is a fairly lean protein which is good if youre on a cut, or maybe bulking to add some flavor/calories to whatever bland food you may want to add it to... tho i dont recommend rolling your chicken in it.

taste10- I LOVE THE TASTE!!!! to me this powder is sweeter than a serenade from the punk rock legend mike ness. i tend to find myself wanting to throw it in almost everything. and wanting to just constantly down shakes. but then i remind myself HEY this cost 40 bucks yo... anyways id recommend chocolate milk. chocolate and peanut butter is good, but its not all youll crack it up to be. i was hoping reeses and got chocolate with a slight other taste...

effectiveness9- ok so heres the most important part right. now being this has some added bcaa, digestive enzymes and all the different sorts of proteins i do feel like it did a pretty good job of reducing muscle soreness and possibly helpin me get some gains as well as assist with some issues i seemed to be having with digesting veggies. so for that i applaud MP.

cost/value9- a 54 serving tub is about 39 bucks. and for a name brand, multiple proteins, and the other added goodies i say this fair price!

mix ability7- I NEVER GET THIS TO MIX WELL its kind of annoying. always little itty bitty clumps. but that could be in part that i typically stir this with a spoon in water. but even when in a shaker cup it never seemed to fully disolve into the water.

now for my problems with this product-
    if i take it before i go to bed i wake up with a slightly upset stomach. and after noticing how it sits and rots in a cup if you forget to clean it out i really think that's what it did in my stomach. BUT with the casein in it i figured its worth it. but this seems to only happen on an empty stomach. also it occasionally gave me some gas.

my other problem, with this being different forms of protein taking this post workout wont supply you with enough when you want it the most. i mean theres hydrolized in there but how much of that 25g is it? to be honest id recommend getting a straight up hydrowhey or regular protein for post workout.

id definitely recommend this (and i do) as your any time of the day protein. and if you want your, post. but more so meal replacement, added protein/flavor/calorie supplement. Ive gotta give it to MP. they do know how to make some top notch stuff in my opinion.

• Wish It Was A 5lb Tub

Posted December 28, 2011
    this review kinda blows. had to much e&j last night. dealing (like a man) with some issues right now ;)

AS79

Posted December 28, 2011
    Good review. I liked this as a meal replacement as well, but prefer pro complex and a seperate casein.

Posted December 28, 2011
    im yet to try pro complex. i really didnt like the gold standard. it didnt seem to stack up to this. but seeing as im down to 1 scoop in the tub i might as well get some of that next

IamAlex

Posted December 28, 2011
    Social D all the way baby!

nickfuri's Combat Review

I have been intrigued by Muscle Pharm products and have slowly been checking them out. Usually sports celeb endorsed lines tend to be a lot of flash with no delivery in the end. After a mostly positive experience with Assault, I decided to give the Combat Powder a go. I was coming off a tub of Syntha6 and decided to try a similar protein blend product from the Muscle Pharm fam. Just so you know I'm not super knowledgeable about ingredients, so I'm not going to pretend to know what i'm talking about here. I'm just giving you my honest experience.

Taste - 6/10 - as most lifters would say, "who cares about the taste, as long as it works i'll take it". this is not necessarily the case with me. As stated in past reviews, i tend to have a weak stomach and if it doesn't taste well it doesn't appeal to me. I would use the 2 scoops with water (i always mix with water) and it was very bland with a bad aftertaste. I should also mention there were no mixing problems. Needless to say it took me a while to choke it down towards the end.

Value - 7/10 - I paid $40 from Netrition for a 4lb tub. I am willing to pay that much to try something new. It basically is along the same price range as Syntha6. If your on a budget it may not be the protein blend for you.

Effectiveness - 8/10 - from what i've seen from many reviews, MP tends to put solid ingredients in there sups. I definitely noticed that the Combat Powder works. When i took it at night, i noticed that i didn't have any substantial pains or aches in the morning. I also made solid lifting gains at the gym, yet i should note it wasn't any more or less than when i was taking Syntha6.

• But Tolerable
    • Made Me Fart

Picky

Posted January 25, 2012
    Yeah, Muscle Pharm is one of the few companies that uses very good ingredient and adequate amounts, unfortunately their prices reflect that a bit too much in my opinion.

A quick background before I review the supplement. I am average when it comes to weightlifting (not scrawny and not huge). I am 5'11 and weigh 174lbs. When I started this supplement a month ago, I was 180lbs and was beginning a cutting cycle. Workout was chest/back on mondays, bis/tris/forearms on wednesdays, legs/shoulders on fridays, and some kind of activity on tuesday/thursdays with resting on the weekends. Reps were 12 reps followed by 8 superset reps, 30 sec of rest between supersets. This was the ONLY supplement I took during this period. On lifting days I would take 1 scoop after working out and 1 scoop before bed. On conditioning days, I would take 1 after working out.
    Taste: I am usually not a fan of chocolate protein powders, but Choco-PB sounded the best out of the options. This has to be my favorite chocolate taste out of the others I have tried (Myofusion, ON, and Syntha). The PB taste was pretty weak, but overall the taste was very good.
    Mixibility: I always mixed it in a blender or shaker cup, and have no complaints about the mixibility. It ends up creamy and smoothe. I cannot judge for just mixing with a spoon tho.
    Results: I ended up losing 6 lbs over the course of the month. Muscle measurements were virtually the same, lost a very little size here and there but kept most of what muscle I have. Also, I was rarely sore the morning after my workouts. I just ordered a couple more tubs to start a cycle to try and gain some muscle so I will review again for the results of using this to gain mass. This was all around a great protein and I will continue to use this for working out.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Keeps Muscle
    • Price

Taste is good, have had better

I've been on this product a little over a week, taking approx 6 scoops spread out over the day. It has tightened up my abs w/ no other changes to my diet/ workout. Taste is good, have had better...but if it keeps shedding bf it is a definate winner in my book. the biggest drawback is price. overpriced if you ask me. probably because they spend so much on advertising.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Decent Taste
    • Price

Great tasting protein blend for a good price

Muscle pharms combat is one of the few protein blends that i have tried. Ive gone through 4lb of the smores and a small tub of banana, both flavors were awesome.
    Taste: 10/10- this protein has to be the best tasting protein i have ever had, and i have tried MANY different protein powders. The smores flavor was incredible plus i enjoyed the marshmallow and chocolate chunks even though they did sink it was like an extra treat at the bottom. The banana flavor was also very tasty as well. Not only did i drink it i have also cooked with it and i have to say it makes a mean tasting protein pancake.
    Mixability: 8/10- mixed pretty well with no trouble with about 10 seconds of solid shaking in a cup, no chunks at all unless you count the pieces of marshmallow and chocolate in the smores flavor which don't mix. Gave an 8 because they sink and you gotta keep shaking em.
    Effectiveness: not rate able- i wont rate effectiveness of a protein just off the basis of it only being a protein. They arent miracle supplements just a replacement for food for me when its convenient.
    Ingredients: 9/10- has around 25g protein 5g carbs and 1.5g fat which is on par with most whey proteins which i consider good for a protein blend. The proteins are from various wheys casein and egg which are all solid sources.
    Price:9/10- for what it is and its quality id rate this a 9/10 because i hve found it as cheap as 35$ for 4lb with free shipping. For around 50servings i consider this a very competitive price.
    All in all i woul definately reccomend this protein to anyone looking for a great tasting good priced protein with quality ingredients.

• Amazing Taste

While it isn't a terrible product, it sure isn't anything special either

As a big Muscle Pharm guy, I was really excited to try Combat. While it isn't a terrible product, it sure isn't anything special either, in my opinion. As far as blends go, the profile is pretty standard, however from the first look I could tell it wasn't going to be on par with say, ON's Pro Complex, which is my 'reference' protein blend. Instead of being smooth and fine like the Optimum, it was kind of "chunky". Mixability was mediocre with a shaker cup, with lots of particles and chunks floating about. At 24 g of protein per serving, it's ok, but again, less than the 30 g you get from a scoop of Pro Complex. To be fair, it's about $15 cheaper for the 4.6 lb tub than the ON, but I'm a big believer in the old adage " you get what you pay for". Taste (chocolate peanut butter) was pretty good, although somewhat mild, and the peanut butter flavor didn't come through very well..tasted more like chocolate milk. I didn't notice any significant strength or size gains as compared to any other decent protein either. Overall, I thought it was a very ho-hum effort from MP....I will be switching back to PC as soon as I finish this tub up.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Decent Taste
      • Can Be Tough To Mix With Cold Liquids

Posted November 23, 2010
      what other type of liquids can you use with this supp??

Posted November 23, 2010
      with this flavor, i'd say water or skim milk, although the flavor is pretty sweet even with the water...might be almost TOO sweet with milk, depending on your taste..