Combat Reviews

By: Muscle Pharm

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #5 of 16 (better than 73%) in
Protein > Casein Protein

Combat is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Pharm. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
INGREDIENTS (38)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Purest form of whey protein (contains at least 90% protein) that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

COMPARE SIMILAR

boris-chan
  March 8, 2016

----Introduction----
(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
Hi I am a college student ex-division 1 student-athlete. I used to play basketball at University of Oregon before suffering a career ending knee injury. Now I have recently gotten into power lifting and calisthenics and my goal is to be fit, strong, and healthy. Being an athlete and a bioengineering major I believe I can give a decent opinion about these products.

----Ingredient Profile----
Great blend of several bio-available proteins. Whey isolate: standard whey protein proven to build muscle. Partially Hydrolyzed Whey: this is just faster absorbing whey protein and it actually lives up to its promise. I can drink this before a workout if I'm hungry and 30 min later I feel full but not bloated and ready to get in the gym. Casein: Slow release protein so you'll be getting muscle building nutrients hours after your workout. Although the dose is kinda low so I recommend either taking 2 scoops before or 1 scoop before and 1 scoop after. Concentrate Whey Protein: I am not sure what this does to be honest. Egg Ablumen: Claims to be a bio-available source of BCAA I myself have never heard of this before but It definitely gets the job done keeping me from getting too sore during the workout. Digestive Enzymes: Claims to help digestion and protein absorbing. I don't know if it does but I do have to say this is hands down the most easily digested protein I have ever taken never had a stomach ache using this. Added BCAAs: Got your standard BCAA and gets the job done

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
This is probably where the product shines the most. I have never ever had a protein that mixes this easily with water. I swear if you just swirled it around in a cup the protein will dissolve. If you have a shaker cup then you won't ever have to worry about this product mixing. This is by far the easiest mixing protein I have ever taken. 10/10

Taste: I have the cookies and cream flavor. It is a little sweet but not bad I take it with a smoothie or with water and it adds a good touch of sweetness to other wise tart berries. 9/10

Dosing: The dosing is honestly a little weak. 1 scoop only gives you 25g of protein which is then split up between several different types so your getting even less. I would recommend taking 2-3 scoops per a day to make up for the low dosage. 8/10

On the plus size you can get a giant tub at costco for way cheaper than competitors

----Effectiveness----
Before my surgery I was 6ft 4in 190 lbs 13% body fat. When I got off knee surgery and finished recovery I had dropped to 178lbs. After hitting the gym and physical therapy consistently in 4 months I was back up to 195 and 11% body fat. That was almost 20lbs of pure muscle my doctors were all really surprised at how fast I was able to gain and improve my muscle mass. 2 months later I am now 205 at 12% body fat. Another 10lbs of solid lean muscle. This protein gets the job done!! In terms of pure whey I think it still takes second place to Optimum Nutrition's gold standard however Combat is far more versatile. I can take this before I can take this after I can take this before I sleep and I will be slowly feeding my body different protein complexes over a period of 8 hours. This is probably what helped me buff up so much.

----Value----
If you get this at coscto I would give 10/10 value as they sell a 5lb tub. However if you buy this at the stor the 2.5lb tub is a little costly I give it 7.5/10 value as you need to take more than 1 scoop a day for the best results.

----Conclusion----
I recommend this to anybody serious about building muscle from athletes to body building enthusiast. This can easily be an all in one protein albeit you will have to take more scoops, or it can be stacked onto any current supplements that you are using right now with no consequence. Highly recommend 9/10 protein
  • Wish It Had A Little More Protein
ChaseRyan
  February 5, 2016

----Introduction----

Hey guys this is my first review on SR. I have used this site for a couple years now and am beginning to take lifting more serious. I have always been an athlete, but recently have only been strength training and going for gains. I am not fundamentalist nutritionist yet, but i do make sure to eat 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of bw, eat a decent amount of carbs such as oats, whole wheat bread, and rice cakes as well as cooking with olive oil, eating mixed nuts, and fish for my fats. My only goal as of now is to keep lifting properly with dedication, improve my knowledge of different tactics to tax my body, and continue learning about supplements that can aid my goals of swole.

I have used MusclePharm Combat Cookies and Cream for a couple years now.

I discovered SR one day just surfing the web looking for information on supplements. When possible, I like to know and control what is going into my body. I also was aware that some companies are out for $$, and not for my gains. After doing some looking, i felt as though the credibility system used on SR was legit with honest and wise information. I recently have purchased ON ZMA, Swanson Health Probiotics, NutraBio BCAA 5000, and iSatori PreGro. I hope to relay my results on all these products soon! Thanks SR members!

----Ingredient Profile----

I like the idea that there is an 8 hour protein release since the powder includes whey protein concentrates, hydrolysates and isolates, egg albumen, and micellar casein. Each serving contains 25g of protein. Along side the protein, some essential building blocks are added such as: The BCAAs l-leucine, l-isoleucine, and l-valine. L-Glutamine and Glutamine are also included.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

I think the flavor is the closest thing to a cookies n cream milkshake that you can get. I usually add Combat with water, since my stomach cannot handle too much milk product, and it tastes awesome. When i have added it to milk, it mixes easily and replaces cravings for an actual milkshake. Since there are 25 grams of protein in a serving, i usually take about 1.5 scoops immediately after my workout and occasionally half an hour before. Since there are different proteins digesting at different rates, i believe taking more protein will not be wasted/ not utilized since some of the proteins will be digesting at slower rates.

----Effectiveness----

I eat around 250-300 grams of protein a day. I usually take at least one, if not two protein shakes throughout the day as well. I believe the additional powder is necessary, but solid food is essential when building too. Combat powder has definitely been an asset in making gains.

----Value----

The prices are great for my budget. I recently picked up a 5lb jug at Costco for $36 when they had it on sale. If the price is less that $10 a lbs, and the quality is on point, i believe the price is awesome.

----Side Effects----

Drinking too much may have caused a little bit of a break out on my face. Other supplements that i am on may have contributed to this but it seems as though the increased powder/ protein bars have added acne to my face. I dont think this has to do with the product, but powder in general.

----Conclusion----

Love it. Like i said above, i have been using it for years. I love the flavor and how easy it mixes, the multiple sources of protein, and the price.
I do wish that the exact grams of each type of protein was listed. Overall this is a prop blend of 32 grams of "time release blend" and this includes the added amino's. A little more transparency would be nice.
  • Multiple Sources Of Protein
    • Cookies N' Cream: 9/10
    elee229
      September 14, 2015

I wasn't sure about this product since previously I had been taking ON Whey Isolate. However, I bought this product at Costco since they had a sale. I believe it was $5 off MusclePharm combat (65 serving container). And I can say now that this is a great product. Will be buying more in the future.

There are 5 different types of protein (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin). They all release protein at different times and feed muscles over a course of 8hrs. Also contained is 5g of naturally occurring BCAAs, bonded to the proteins. I love the fact that it is low in fat. Only 1.5g of fat per serving. Other proteins out there have 3g of fat on average.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 9/10

Great tasting product. I've only tried cookies n' cream since Costco only sells that flavor. Would recommend cookies n' cream. Mixes very well in my blender bottle, even the crappy one I have. Love the fact that it has 25g of protein and 5g of BCAAs per scoop. Never clumps up. I like my protein shakes cold. So I mix it with room temperature water and shake that up. Then I put 4-5 pieces of ice and shake it again. If you mix it with milk, it tastes like a milkshake. I've never had any problem mixing it with cold liquids.

Effectiveness 9/10

This topic is a hard one for protein powders. Protein powders are hard to judge for effectiveness. However this product has only sometimes given me protein farts. It mixes smoothly and has never upset my stomach. I drink this right when I get up (5am) and it keeps me feeling full for a few hours until I eat breakfast (9am). I also take this after my workout (7pm) and it helps feed my muscles overnight since of the time release protein.

Value 10/10

I got this on sale at Costco so the price was great. I think it was around $40-45 (or maybe less) for a 5lb container. Good price overall. Would definitely buy again for the price.

Side Effects

I have almost finished my second tub. Sometimes you will get protein farts. However I have rarely gotten protein farts from this product. No pain or discomfort in my stomach.

Conclusion

I was skeptical about this product first. But now I would recommend this product to anyone. It tastes great and mixes well. Try buying it at Costco (if you can) since you get more bang for your buck. Otherwise overall a great product. Good job MusclePharm!
      • Cookies N' Cream: 10/10
      jasonstith90
        January 23, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
      I tried the hybrid version of Combat. It utilizes whey protein isolates, whey protein concentrates, hydroslate proteins, and casein proteins. The whey proteins are fast digesting, so they are good for post workout and when you wake up in the morning. The casein proteins are slow digesting, so they are best for before you go to bed. Combat also has glutamine and BCAA's in it to help speed up recovery time.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
      I had the chocolate milk flavor. I thought that it tasted really good.
      I generally mixed with 10-12 ounces of water. Usually, there is a tiny bit of residue left over in the bottom.

----Effectiveness----
      I haven't lost any muscle while I have increased the intensity of my cardio workouts.

----Value----
      It seems to have quality ingredients and helped speed up recovery. It is worth the price.

----Side Effects----
      I did not have any side effects.

----Conclusion----
      This is a great all around protein. I would definitely use it again in the future.
      • Chocolate Milk For Chocolate Lovers Craving
        kristof
          December 12, 2014

I have not reviewed a supplement in a while so why not start with one of my new favorites. I have used countless tubs of Combat. I have been looking for a while for a casein that can keep my stomach full throughout the night and well into the morning. Muscle Pharm says that, it feeds muscles up to 8 hours. Well, Combat did that for me, and more.

Ingredient profile:
        Combat has 130 calories per serving and about 5 grams of carbohydrates, which makes Combat a perfect casein protein while cutting. It is also, great for any other uses, such as maintenance or even bulking. Muscle Pharm claims it is loaded with extra amino acids, which is something that really got my attention.

Taste – 10
        The only flavor I ever bought was COOKIES N’ CREAM. The best tasting cookies n’ cream protein I have ever had. With every sip that I took it tasted exactly like cookies with an after taste of cream… Delicious. I would mix it with water only. I noticed when I drank it fast I had very bad smelling burps.

Mixability – 9
        When mixed with water there were no chunks or clumps of protein. It was very smooth. The only thing that I have to say about mixability is that at the bottom of my shaker, in my last gulp, there was a bunch of black dots; this was probably to help it taste like cookies because in my last gulp the flavor of cookies was always plentiful.

Effectiveness – 10
        Well combat made me one very happy costumer. I want to start of by saying to keep a guy like myself full throughout the night and into the morning is impressive. I’m 6’4, 308lbs. I eat A LOT of food. But, somehow Combat did it. When Muscle Pharm said that it feeds muscles up to 8 hours they were not lying. I would sleep an average of 7.5 hours every night. I did not wake up in the middle of the night hungry. I did not go to bed hungry because this satisfied me completely. When I woke up in the morning my muscles felt fuller. After I woke up I was not looking for food. I was able to accomplish a few tasks in the morning before I would start breakfast, without having the feeling of hunger. I felt like when Muscle Pharm claimed that is has extra amino acids they told the truth because of the recovery I noticed. The recovery was noticeable but nothing crazy. It always helped my legs recovery from a workout or from a football practice. My teammates would complain about their leg soreness during doubles and I felt like I had fresh legs a majority of the time. Another thing I like about Combat is that it can be taken at any point in the day. When I knew would not be able to eat for a while because of practice and class, I would drink Combat and it kept me full till I could eat my next meal. I have also taken Combat after workouts and I loved it. I did not notice any better recovery compared to other proteins when I took it after workouts. But I did enjoy how smooth it went down after long workouts.

Value -7
        2lb tub of Combat is $ 26 from allstarhealth.com, which is 27 servings. A 4lb bag is $42 from allstarhealth.com, which is 50 serving. I wish it were cheaper. It is a great product but I’m not happy about the price.

Conclusion –
        Combat is a great Casein protein. It helped me recover and stay full throughout the night and day. It can also be used at any point in the day. BUT, I think it is a bit pricey.
        • Price
        • Wish It Was A 5lb Tub
        workoutguru
          January 19, 2014

This is my first experience with Muscle Pharms Combat protein. A few months ago they started selling this at Costco and thought I would give it a try. They have a special on this that you can only get at Costco. Costco is the only place that sells a 5lb container of this with 65 servings in it. If you order this online the biggest size you can find is a 4lb tub with 52 servings.

Ingredients:
        Zinc 0%
        Copper 0%
        Featuring Omegawaveâ„¢
        Multi-Level Amino Acid Growth Matrix 35g **
        Alanine, Leucine, Lysine Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine,Tyrosine,Valine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan, Glutamic Acid
        Combat Powderâ„¢ Proprietary Time Release System **
        Whey Protein Isolate, Partially Hydrolized Whey Protein, Micellular Casein,Whey Protein Concentrate, Egg Albumin, L-Glutamine, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin (Dutch Process), Digestive Enzyme Blend.

This is an Advanced time release protein. This has a pretty decent ingredient profile I think. It says on the label that this will feed your muscles up to 8 hours. This has 5 different sources of protein fast, medium, and slow digesting and I will explain each of them.

Whey Protein Hydrolysate
        Broken down into faster absorbing peptides, this rapidly infuses muscle-building amino acid.

Whey Protein Isolate
        Digests and absorbs rapidly and is, gram for gram, the highest available yield of protein.

Whey Protein Concentrate
        Closest to whole food and contains real subfractions.

Egg Albumin
        Highly bioavailable and is high in BCAA's and arginine, contributing to hormone productions and muscle building.

Micellar Casein
        Digests slowly, infusing valuable amino acids over several hours.

Value:
        For this special 5lb tub they are selling it for $42.99 for 65 servings. If you order the 4lb tub online you only get 52 servings and the price I have seen for that is around $40 plus shipping. I feel this is a pretty good deal they have at Costco plus you get 15 more servings.

Taste/mixability/dosing:
        Right now the only flavor they have at Costco is cookies & cream flavor. From what I heard this is the only place you can get the cookies & cream flavor but I am not for sure on that. This reminded me of eating an ice cream chocolate chip cookie. I thought it tasted really good but as I got towards the end of the container I was starting to get a little tired of this flavor even thought I liked it. I wish they could get a couple more flavors so I could switch it up a little so I don't get tired of the same flavor all the time.

Mixability:
        There were no issue at all with this mixing up. It mixed up real nicely and had a very smooth texture to it.

Dosing:
        I always took one full scoop after each workout for recovery mainly and to help tide me over a little until I could eat supper later in the evening. I always start my workouts around 3pm or so and would take this around 5:30pm after my workout. This would also be good to take at night before bed or in the morning because of the different type of proteins in this.

It's hard to tell how well a protein product in general really works and if it's effective. I do believe this worked pretty good for me. I feel I built a little more muscle mass on this and leaned up some. I was a lot less sore the next day or two after some really hard workouts. Had no issues at all with digestion. I really enjoyed the different kinds of protein they put in this. This seemed to keep me feeling more full a few hours after I took this. It was good getting some of these different proteins in me if I knew I was not going to be eating for awhile after my workouts. It's nice having the added BCAA's they put in this for recovery but a better breakdown of how much they put in this would be kind of nice to know.

Overall:
        I feel this was a pretty solid protein and I would for sure recommend it. If you ever make it into a Costco store and are in the need of a good protein product this I would highly recommend. I am for sure going to be getting this again which I all ready have done. It's just a great all around protein and for the price it makes it a pretty good deal I think. I just wish Costco could get a few more flavors to sell also.
          Vamp1618
            July 27, 2013

This is my first review, so any tips would be awesome. I discovered SR.com through Google while looking for reviews about supplements... fancy that?

I don't yet know that much about supplements of any kind, but wanted to try reviewing this supplement because I greatly enjoyed it.

I started lifting in February '13 and gained about 25 pounds (140 to 165) by the end of May. Cut down to a decently lean 155 in June and July (this month). I went through two 4 pound tubs of Combat Powder during the bulk, one tub during the cut, lifting 5-6 days a week. I dosed this at one scoop, usually mixed with a nutritional shake (like Boost), and a spoonful of peanut butter.

Taste: A
          I thoroughly enjoyed the Chocolate Milk flavor. It tastes good whether mixed with milk, chocolate milk, water, nutritional shakes, everything I've tried. I wouldn't recommend something crazy like orange juice, but any liquid within reason should taste good mixed with the Chocolate Milk flavor.

Mix: B+
          This powder mixed pretty well with all of the liquids mentioned in the Taste section, even when I added in a small spoonful of peanut butter and used a regular water bottle. Found some clumps every now and then.

Effectiveness: A?
          I'm not sure how to rate the effectiveness of a protein powder, mostly because of a lack of experience. I'm gluten-free, making it difficult to get enough protein in a college cafeteria, so for me this product seemed incredibly effective. Also, this is my first protein powder, so I can't compare it to anything else. Digested well, no problems with protein gas.

Price: B
          I guess $39.99 for 52 servings is a good price, but it still seems expensive to a broke college kid!

Overall: A-
          I thoroughly enjoyed this product and I'm trying the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor next!

Again, this is my first review, so I appreciate any comments or tips.
            Sebdog5
              June 10, 2013

Hi all, first review here. I took Muscle Pharm Combat because I wanted to try a protein blend which could serve as a post-workout and night time supplement. Looking over the profile its a five protein blend which features whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, whey protein hydrolyzed, micellar casein, egg albumin and it has added bcaa's and glutime to help with recovery.

In a 33 gram scoop you get 25 grams of protein per serving with 2.5 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbs which isn't not to bad for a blend. My main problem with any protein blend is you don't know exactly what amount out whey proteins your getting. With anything that features an ingredients list the first thing to feature is the thing there will be the most of, and in the case its the Whey concentrate followed by isolate and then hydrolyzed.

- Taste 8.5/10: The taste of this blend is amazing. I found with the cookies and cream that it was spot on in terms of the flavors but was a pinch too sweet. For me personally I can't help but be weary of the amount of artificial sweeteners based on the fact that you wouldn't even know your drinking a protein powder. Another interesting thing was the amount of ingredients that make up the cookies in the shake, there are at least 10-12 ingredients in the 'other ingredients' section but the interesting thing is you can't find them on the internet because they only ever show the 'chocolate milk' supplement facts.

-Mixibility 9/10: I always mix with a shaker and found it was fine with water or milk. It was really amazing with water in the way it would thicken it up and almost give you the illusion you were drinking milk.

-Effectiveness 7/10: I found it was generally pretty good with recovery but I wasn't thrilled with the amount of bloating.I normally workout before work and I don't get a break for 5 hours so it was good to have a serving before I started just so I didn't get a headache from an empty stomach.

-Value 6.5/10: I live in Australia so we will always have to pay more but at $75 for around 4lbs its not great but its not that bad. My main problem is that its marketed as a slow release/post-workout powder and the main protein in the blend is whey concentrate, not that its bad or anything but I could pretty much buy 4kg/8.8lbs of whey concentrate for that amount. I know people are going to say 'yeah but you don't get the 4 other proteins' which is true but it doesn't even state the ratios between all five proteins

-Overall 7/10: I'm giving Muscle Pharm Combat a 7 because as far as protein 'blends' go I think this is a good option for anyone who only want to take one protein powder. I just find it interesting with the marketing of the product because its marketed as a post workout and night time recovery supplement yet its not going to be really great at either. Obviously it depends on your workout, diet, schedule etc. In my opinion I wouldn't waste your time with a blend, I would look a getting a top quality whey isolate or hydrolyzed for post workout and casein for night-time recovery. It will probably cost more but you will get more servings which will balance that out and the quality will be a lot better.
            • Price
            • Made Me Fart
            Nickthatowel
              June 10, 2013

Muscle pharms combat is one of the few protein blends that i have tried. Ive gone through 4lb of the smores and a small tub of banana, both flavors were awesome.
            Taste: 10/10- this protein has to be the best tasting protein i have ever had, and i have tried MANY different protein powders. The smores flavor was incredible plus i enjoyed the marshmallow and chocolate chunks even though they did sink it was like an extra treat at the bottom. The banana flavor was also very tasty as well. Not only did i drink it i have also cooked with it and i have to say it makes a mean tasting protein pancake.
            Mixability: 8/10- mixed pretty well with no trouble with about 10 seconds of solid shaking in a cup, no chunks at all unless you count the pieces of marshmallow and chocolate in the smores flavor which don't mix. Gave an 8 because they sink and you gotta keep shaking em.
            Effectiveness: not rate able- i wont rate effectiveness of a protein just off the basis of it only being a protein. They arent miracle supplements just a replacement for food for me when its convenient.
            Ingredients: 9/10- has around 25g protein 5g carbs and 1.5g fat which is on par with most whey proteins which i consider good for a protein blend. The proteins are from various wheys casein and egg which are all solid sources.
            Price:9/10- for what it is and its quality id rate this a 9/10 because i hve found it as cheap as 35$ for 4lb with free shipping. For around 50servings i consider this a very competitive price.
            All in all i woul definately reccomend this protein to anyone looking for a great tasting good priced protein with quality ingredients.
              birdman2211
                March 9, 2013

After a long break from SR.com, I've decided to come back for a couple of reviews of a few products that I have impressed me over the last year. I know its difficult to review protein powder because its almost impossible to feel or see the effects of them. So I like to judge them by price, mixability, taste and amino acid profile. This is where Muscle Pharm Combat shines in all those areas. Thanks to Petey for recommending Combat to me almost a year ago, I've been on the bandwagon ever since! After taking all types and brands over the last 14 years, Combat is now is my personal favorite.

Combat is a time-released protein blend. Containing whey isolate, whey hydroslate, micellar casein and egg white albumen. Claims to feed muscles for up to 8 hours. Combat also has a added digestive enzyme blend for ease of absorption. Muscle Pharm also claim they added extra bcaa's and glutamine to blend but does not specify how much was actually added. The supplement facts I feel are pretty dang solid. 130 cals, 2.5g of fat, 3 net carbs and 24g of protein. Another important feature of this protein is there is not a lot of unnecessary fillers added. I feel Muscle Pharm did a great job on keeping it clean.

-Taste 10/10: Hands down the best tasting protein I've ever had! I've had chocolate milk, peanut butter, cookies n'cream, banana cream, orange creamsicil and vanilla. Rarely do ever find that all flavors are amazing! My GF even loves it and shes extremely picky when it comes to protein shakes.

-Mixibility 10/10: When mixed in a standard shaker cup the mixibility is superb! Never had any clumps or anthing left over in the bottom. There is no grittiness taste, just smooth, light consistency from start to finish.

-Effectivness 9/10: This area is hard to measure with protein powders. However, I never had any issues with digestion. Combat never gave me the protein farts that I would sometimes get with other powders. Combat would also keep me full for a few hours at a time. Just wish they would break down the amino profile to see what your actually getting extra.

-Value 9/10: You can find Combat for around 39.99 for a 4 lbs jug with 52 servings which I thought was very reasonable. Comes out to 77 cents per scoop. Not the best priced but not going to break the bank either.

-Overall 9/10: Overall I give Combat a solid 9 because nothing is perfect, however Combat is very close. I currently have 4 jugs of Combat in my supplemet closet, thats how much I enjoy this protein! I am a huge fan and highly recommend it to anyone who wants an amazing tasting, smooth and all around great protein shake.

• Great Digestion
              • Nothing

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.