Probolic-SR Reviews

By: MHP

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #3 of 16 (better than 87%) in
Protein > Casein Protein

Probolic-SR is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by MHP. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
COMPARE SIMILAR

raindog308
  May 25, 2015

MHP's Probolic-SR used to be my go-to protein for years. I heard about it in a forum about five years and found it to be excellent.

Now, unfortunately, MHP has ruined it. How? Read on.

----Introduction----
I'm 46 and am not a competitive BB. Just your average gym rat who feels better on a BB-like diet/exercise cycle. To that end, I train hard and fuel my body with protein around the clock. I use whey protein after working out and casein/other slow-burning protein (like this one) first thing in the morning and also overnight.

----Ingredient Profile----
Probolic-SR claims to have a 12-hour release. I'm not 100% sure I buy that...no one else claims more than 8. But regardless, it's a long-burn protein unlike whey. The protein:calorie ratio (20g protein for 140 calories) is good and as a bonus you get 15% of your potassium.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I usually take two scoops in 32oz of water.

In the old formula, the product mixed nearly 100% and tasted like chocolate cake batter. DELICIOUS! I loved this stuff.

Now, MHP has reformulated it and it completely blows. Specifically:

1. Mixability? What mixability? You get a gloppy mess even if you shake for 2-3 minutes solid.

2. It STICKS to the inside of my shaker like you wouldn't believe. You won't be "washing out" your shakers, you'll be scraping them. I'm not joking - this stuff must be one part glue.

3. Taste is now...meh...just like a generic protein shake. Not very appetizing. I don't really care about taste (who drinks protein shakes for the taste!?) but it's sad because it used to be great.

----Effectiveness----

It's protein and it works. However, keep in mind that instead of getting 20g of protein per scoop you're probably only getting 15-18 because 20% of your product ends up stuck to the inside of the shaker!

----Value----

It's a big pricey but that is not my complaint.

----Side Effects----

None - it digests well.

----Conclusion----

I've bought my last 4lb tub of Probolic SR and will never buy another one. I'm also disappointed that after emailing MHP to state my complaints, they never responded.

I'm moving on...probably next to Muscle Pharm's Combat.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Amino Acid Profile
  • Promotes Great Recovery
  • Iffy Mixability
  • Unpalletable Taste
  • Sticks To Shaker
  • Hard To Clean Shaker Afterwards
getnbigr78
  May 13, 2013

I decided throw in a review for MHP's Probolic- a 12 hour muscle feeding protein that consists of whey, soy and casein proteins.
From MHPstrong.com-
"Probolic-SR's patented 12 hour Sustained Release Micro-Feed Technology and superior Critical Five Amino Acid Score (CFAAS) are major breakthroughs in protein supplementation. These two breakthroughs have set new standards in the bio-efficiency and anabolic effects of protein by giving you something no other protein can: a continual 12 hour supply of the most critical amino acids including high levels of Glutamine, Arginine and BCAAs to stimulate muscle growth, improve recovery and prevent catabolic muscle wasting. "
Honestly, I have been using Probolic for over 6 months now- it has become a staple in my supplement regime. For the last 6 weeks I have been on an intermittent fasting diet that consists of three meals eaten within and 8 hour period followed by 16 hours of hunger. I work out 5-6 days per week and have recently increased my cardio from 4-10 minute sessions to 5- 15 minute sessions per week (summer is coming.) I recently just increased my cals from 1800 per day up to about 2300 per day (I was losing weight too fast.) Each meal I eat has about 60 grams of protein. I weight about 195lbs with about 10% BF.

TASTE & MIXABILITY: 10/10
Mixability first- one scoop mixes perfectly fine with a blender ball. It mixes well in water and has a nice texture and consistency. I gave it a ten because this is hands down the best tasting protein I have ever had. In the last 6 months I have also used protein by ON, Lebrada, and Muscle Meds- none of them compare (I have only used the chocolate versions of each for easy comparison- I have had bad luck with vanilla flavors in the past and don't bother anymore.) I really believe it's the combination of the chocolate flavor and the texture that makes it oh so good. ON always mixes too watery for me, Labrada was nothing special, and the Muscle Meds (carnivore) only tasted good when mixed with milk.
I try to eat 3 food meals per day, but every now and then I won't have the time to prepare a meal, so I will use one EAS Myoplex Packet and mix in one serving of Probolic- and it really does enhance the flavor- it also allows me to reach my goal of 60+ grams of protein per meal- Myoplex contains 42 grams while the Probolic has 20 grams per scoop. I'll also add a serving when I am unable to meet my macro goals for a meal. All in all, I probably average 1-2 servings of Probolic per day.

EFFECTIVENESS: 9/10
It does the job. It's a nice compliment to a clean diet and helps me reach my macro goals. My strength continues to slowly climb and my body continues to improve monthly. As an added bonus, there is a little bit of fat that comes from the addition of CLA and MCT's. MHP also threw in some flax to help compliment this valuable Omega 3 stack. There's also only 5 grams of carbs of which 2 are from fiber. I'm sure I will keep this in my regiment as I work my way to a men's physique competition in the future (just thought I'd throw one of my goals in there.)

VALUE: 9/10
$39.99 for 56 servings from allstarhealth.com.- $0.71 per serving- it's a good price for a high quality protein mix. I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else.

OVERALL: 9/10
Summing it all up- Probolic is a staple in my diet and will continue to be. I have compared it to other protein blends recently and haven't found a complex any better or taste any better. It's a shake that I look forward to- one that does not set off my gag reflex. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a solid protein complex to add to their macro plan.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
    Gkeezy
      June 11, 2012

So I normally do not give 9's across the board for Proteins but this one I definitively have to go with that score. I will explain in detail why below.

INGREDIENT PROFILE:
    130 Calories Per Serving ("PS")
    20g Protein (PS)
    Total Fat 4g (PS)
    Total Carbs 5g (PS)
    Sugars: 0g
    For detailed IP list please see the nutritional details on the bottle.
    It also contains 5 Critical Amino Acids (Glutamine, Argenine & BCAA's)
    As well as being rich if FLAX, CLA & MCT's

PRICE: 9/10 it goes for around $30 for a approximately 28 servings. This is about $1 a serving, which is not too shabby with the quality of protein you will be feeding your body.

TASTE: 10/10 - This has to be the best tasting protein ive ever tasted that I drank with water. I mean the Chocolate flavor with a half cup of water tastes like a malt shake, not too sweet but just right. I mean it was incredible. Normally I do not taste protein by taste, but this was just ridiculous. With the amazing ingredient profile its good to see that they did not compromise the taste.

HOW IT WORKS:

Contains a 4 Stage Release Profile in order to continually feed muscle tissue for up to 12 hours:

-Whey protein: provides a high quality fast releasing protein that feeds muscle tissue right away.

- Supro performance protein: provides a high quality medium speed releasing protein so you continue to supply your muscles with critical amino acids when whey is no longer found in the blood.
    - Casein protein: provides a high quality slow releasing protein so you continue to supply your muscles with critical amino acids when whey and Supro performance protein are no longer found in the blood.
    - Patented Micro-Feed Sustained Release Technology: This technology microencapsulates a portion of the protein blend and slowly releases it into the blood up to 12 hours.

PERFORMANCE/RECOVERY: 9/10 - I used this protein while on a lean mass. What I wanted to do was retain the physique my body currently has in terms of size, but lean out, drop the fat and add a little bit of leaner more defined muscles on my body. The Glutamine and BCAA's in this Protein also help with muscle soreness and recovery for me personally.

This product did just that. I took 2 scoops with half glass of water right after an intense workout, and due to such delicious taste, I actually was looking forward to drinking it. After the first few weeks I did notice small gains in my mass. It wasn't anything huge, but I did see more definition as well as size. This also helped to curb appetite because I would not get as hungry as often because of the slow releasing proteins in this mix. I was able to stay full longer, as opposed to just chugging down fast breaking down Whey Protein.

MIXABILITY: 10/10 - This mixed very easily with no chunks or clumping together whatsoever. This is great because after I was done with the shake, when washing it, I noticed that it cleaned faster and I was not wasting the usual chunks that get stuck to the blade ball inside the shaker container with other proteins.

OVERALL: 9/10 - This product is great. It helped me with my gym gains/leans. I mean I guess I can attribute to my success on other products such as Erase and DAA, but this definitively helped in its own way.

I would recommend this protein for others to try.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      bignastyrico
        October 15, 2011

Hey everyone YET another MHP review. I got this as an online stack with t-bombII and a-bomb. I use blends all the time but i dont normally use the slower casin like proteins such as this, combat, etc. But since mhp is one of my fav companys i said what the hell.

Price=9 I got this as an online stack with the other 2 products listed above for only a 100 bucks total. but it goes for around 30 bucks which is good.

taste=7 I know most ppl love the taste of this product but i wasnt to crazy about it. I had the banana cream flavor and it had an odd after taste, not really bad just not good.

effectiveness=8 This did get the job done. I used it mainly for night time or on those instances that i knew i wasnt going to get anything to eat for awhile. but for some reason after awhile I really got hungry after taking this.

Profile=8 only 130cal and 35 from fat is good. but only 20g of protein per scoop i wasnt to fond of. the amino acid portion of this is great with an few vitamins thrown in. but it has more iron than i would like in a protein.

mixability=7 it can get a little clumpy so i would use a little extra water unless u blend it or have a blender ball bottle.

I would recommend this for ppl looking for a casin or for a long term daily protein. the price is decent and it could be found pretty much anywhere.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      • Taste Not Great Not Bad
      MrFusion
        May 18, 2011

Protein is certainly not all the same and we all know that. My first tub of this was a straying away from O.N's protein (Pro-Comp and Gold Standard) and I wanted to try a matrix. So I selected Probolic-SR.

I got the 4 pound tub at my local Supplement Warehouse for $41 and that's about $5 less than Gold Standard at the same place.

The flavor was Chocolate and I enjoyed it, however; you need to definitely mix more water into this protein and if you don't--it's like drinking a malt. Not an issue though...... This protein I thought clumped a bit and that was with more water added.

This protein features a pretty good BCAA profile and we know that's pretty important. Thumbs up on that feature.
      If this protein actually does what it says it can do, it's a great idea. I can't come on here and tell you "Yes, I felt it working for 12 hours" as that would be B.S.

So all in all, if you are looking for a different protein angle and need to cycle off a protein you have been using for a while, I would certainly suggest you try this and see what your body thinks of it. I'm on Gold Standard right now and I'll be going back to Probolic-SR when the tub is empty. I guess you can tell I liked it. It would be wise of them to increase the actual per-serving amount of protein by gram, I think it's somewhat behind in terms of the competition.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Good Amino Acid Profile
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      • Price For Servings
      KaiTheChamp
        February 24, 2011

Alright, i'm going to write a review for this stuff while waiting for my preworkout to kicks in.
      First of all, i know there's soy protein in this, i don't know if the amount is great enough to turn you feminine or not. But the recovery i've had with this stuff is AMAZING! 21 grams of Glutamine is a huge plus.
      I dont' really take this as a post workout shake, rather i'll take it in the morning with the oats and before bed. I'm a college student so i don't really have time to fix a meal, so 12 hours of protein spread is another plus as well.
      Price: It's expensive. But i was lucky enough to grab 4 tubs of this while on sale at GNC. They are on Bogo sale plus the Gold Card 20%, pretty cheap i would say.
      The only bad thing about this product is that it's really powdery. When i took a scoop, the powders just fly everywhere out of the scoop. So watch out for that. After all this is a very good protein if you don't lots of time to fix yourself a meal.

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      • Great Amino Acid Profile
      • Good Mixability
      • Too Powdery.
      Zangief
        February 20, 2011

Well to start off I never would have considered this protein if vitaminworld didnt have a 60% off coupon, so I bought 3 of these for $12 a pop.

Effectiveness: 9. I took 2 scoops in the morning with my oatmeal, about and hour to and hour and a half before my training session with oatmeal and banana, and after my training session with dates (I ran through a tub probably less than a week) and my recovery was awesome. Much, much better than comparing to whey alone, which is what I used to take.

Taste: Out of 10 I would give it an 8. I had the chocolate and it tasted pretty good alone or combined with oatmeal. Comparing to Dymatize whey, I think this tastes better. It gets nice and thick also to fill me up better, but you can vary with with the amount of water you use. Although I must say, I'm on my 3rd tub and the taste is getting a little bland.

Value: 6. Yes I did get 3 of these for $12 each, but that kind of deal come around very rarely so I will judge it on the lowest price I have seen it listed. I found it on AllStarHealth.com for $21.69 for 2lbs and honestly if you take this protein the way I did, 2 scoops 3 times a day, to get the max potential out of this would be pretty expensive. It will last about 5 days or so since theres 28 servings in the 2lb and one scoop is one serving.

Don't get me wrong, if you are serious about your training goals and you can afford this protein, then I would HIGHLY recommend it, but if you are on a budget, like most of us, you should look elsewhere for a protein blend. Thats why I would MAYBE recommend this product, only to those who can afford it.

Also, I should mention that it does contain CLA, omegas, and other healthy oils, which is a plus and I have not seen any other protein include these. But these can be purchased separately at a relatively low cost and combined with a cheaper protein.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      Sal
        February 1, 2011

First off let start off by stating I purchased three tubs for 13.00 each one, just finished one of them.
      I got each for so cheap because the company discontinued the strawberry flavor.

However they don't expire until May 2013.

Ingredients Solid ! It has Whey-Casein-Soy
      Im not the biggest fan of soy because of minor gas. However it has a small amount so the soy gas is not really a factor.

Keeps me full when taken 30 min before bed.
      Also keeps me full in between meals.

Taste- I can only evaluate strawberry, its good, it gets old over time but still tasty.

It doesn't mix great-My tubs Do not expire until May 2013- So its probably because of the casein.

I would definitely buy again when I have money.

Would not recommend mixing with milk- it is kinda think on its own.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Good Amino Acid Profile
      • Good Amount Of Aminos From Various Sources.
      • Taste Was Good
      • Promotes Great Recovery
      • Great Time Release Protein
      • Essential Fatty Acids
      • Taste Not Great Not Bad
      BenSimon
        November 19, 2010

I think MHP is a very overrated company just like muscle tech, but other then that I think this protien was very good.

Taste: The taste was good, with water, milk, apple juice or gatorade. I would vote it a 9/10

Mixability: It was not bad to mix, except if you put the protien in first before the water. Putting the water in before the protien made it a lot easier to mix with.
      8.5/10

Price: On BB it is 45 for 4 pounds. A little more expensive then some protiens but also cheaper then others. I would vote the price 7/10 but the value of it was very good.

Side effects: Some protiens with this many AA and carbs, etc. Leave with farting and going to the bathroom all day. But this did not, this is because of the time it takes to diegest.

I would suggest this to anyone out there looking to gain muscle !

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      joe651dzd
        November 15, 2010

MHP's Probolic- SR is a far from average protein drink, now at a decent price. This product is ideal for an inbetween meal shake, but especially good for your nighttime and morning protein source.

Mixability: 6.5/10
      I rate this relitavely low because I don't generally have issues with mixing protein shakes, and feel as though most companies have developed ways to avoid releasing hard-to-mix protein drinks. This protein does mix, but definately not as well as most shakes I've worked with in the past. If you plan to use this product, make sure you remember to add the water first in order to avoid the nasty clump up we all have grown to dispise.

Taste: 3
      I took the risk of trying an unreviewed flavor of a protein product seeming to already have a significantly lower taste profile in comparison to most other products; and paid for it immensly. Strawberry Probolic - SR at all ratio's of water to powder tastes chemically in the aftermath, too thick,I found with a smaller amount of water pepto bismal hindered my pallet. I can't believe one could have tasted this flavor when testing before release, and decided it was a go. This product made me truly realize how important a decent tasting protein really is, and was nothing to look forward to at all. - Inevitably the biggest con to this product.

Profile: 9
      The profile is why I bought the product, naturally. At 140 cal, 3g sat fat coming from healthy sources, 20g of well utulized protein sources coming from soy isolate, calcium caseinate, and whey protein concentrate, and an extremely impressive amino acid profile ideal for morning/night consumption; this is a good product regardless of taste. MHP made a confusing diagram of the profile on the jug which is misleading, just like Up Your Mass's label was; but either way if you read the fine print like you should you'll realize that though misleading, Probolic still has a great unique ingredient profile.

Value: 9
      I remember before being skeptical when concidering the online purchase of this product due to what seemed to be what I concidered an unfair price for a 20g serving of protein. Soon enough though, they must have lowered the price on BB.com to 24.99 and 44.99 for 2/4 ibs. @ 28/56 servings per jug leaving each serving at roughly $1.12/$1.02 per 20g scoop. In this scoop your paying for a high amino profile as much as the protein so don't be intimidated by the measly 20g protein per serving, your utulizing darn near all of it and the amino's keep you in a positive state.

I do not feel comfortable rating the effect as I am always growing, don't take steroids, and could blame any gains to many different aspects of my lifestyle. I did not see any quickly stimulated growths whilst taking this product, as I expected; and continued to get stronger, as I expected. No negative side effects occured whilst taking this product.

Overall: 7.5
      Although this product has a horrible taste, the profile should be what sells you. I regret not trying a reviewed flavor, though still not highly spoken of; probably better than strawberry.I will try Dymatize 12 hour next in hope for a better tasting SR protein source, but will not stop using SR's as the profile's have infact, sold me.

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Keeps Muscles Fed Throughout Day/night
      • Great Amino Acid Profile
      • Essential Fatty Acids
      • Great Time Release Protein
      • Iffy Mixability
      • Unpalletable Taste

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.