Beyond Raw Ravage Reviews

By: GNC

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #158 of 221 (better than 29%) in

Beyond Raw Ravage is a Pre-Workout manufactured by GNC. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
INGREDIENTS (31)
THIS PRODUCT

3.2g
CATEGORY AVG

2.0g

Non-essential amino acid that buffers lactic acid in the body by increasing cellular carnitine levels leading to greater endurance, strength, and power.

THIS PRODUCT

2.5g
CATEGORY AVG

2.0g

Active metabolite of choline that increases power output and strength, decreases soreness, and supports creatine production in the body.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Foopmaster
  November 20, 2015

----Introduction----

I've been seriously strength training for three years now, and I consider myself a fully-fledged gym rat. I like to use supplements that I can trust, so I found this site on a link from labdoor.com. It's my usual go-to when searching for new brands to try if I'm not satisfied with the current one. That said, I LOVE a good preworkout, one that really gets me going and pumped for the gym. GNC's RAVAGE is one that I use for just such an occasion.

----Ingredient Profile----

The ingredients are all the same as you would see in any other PWO (caffeine for energy, beta alanine for tingles, etc.), but this one considers itself a "hybrid" in that it contains lots of other proprietary "stuff" in the form of herbal extracts and additives. There's a "Muscle and Joint Optimizer" that contains barks and roots of trees you've never heard of (Cutch Tree Wood and Chinese Skullcap root). They MAY have some anti-inflammatory properties, but probably won't be that effective at these low doses. The old formula did contain fenugreek, which I miss, but now I just supplement that with capsules. This PWO also contains Creatine so be aware of that if you're already supplementing, as doses over 5g a day don't seem to have much benefit. Also included are a capsicum and "piperine beadlets" (black pepper), both intended to increase bloodflow, thereby increasing your pump.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Flavors include grape, fruit punch, and orange. As other reviewers have stated, the original formula tastes BAD. There really is no comparison to how bad it is. I suspect it was due to the powdered fenugreek, which can have a maple-syrupy taste that some may find unpleasant. That coupled with the fruit taste could make GNC's marketing dept change the flavor names to: (G)rape your taste buds, Fruit Punch you in the throat, and Orange you glad this isn't grape. GNC must have listened to customers on this as the new formulation tastes MUCH, MUCH better.

Mixability is still an issue, as you will always seem to have some grit that settles to the bottom. I think its a combo of the creatine used and the "piperine beadlets". Not a big deal if you're used to drinking creatine powders, as they always tend to be a bit gritty.

With the reformulation, the package is smaller that it used to be, as is the scoop. Not too big a deal otherwise.

----Effectiveness----

I find that the energy comes quick and without jitters. Endurance is increased as is focus, but if your workout lasts longer than 90 minutes you might start to drag. With a whopping dose of 3.2g of beta alanine per serving, you're also going to feel some tingles. Almost uncomfortably so, which may be a drawback for some people. I find that it gives a great pump, and bloodflow seems greatly increased during workouts. While I don't use this PWO for every workout, I tend to pull this one out when it's been a hard day and I'm having trouble feeling motivated to workout. That's because once you down this stuff, you better be moving soon or else you'll be climbing the walls.

If the effects of the PWO are too much for you, you can turn them down a bit by eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. This seems to slow absorption for me just a bit, great for days when its been a while since I've eaten anything.

----Value----

With the current best price being $34.99 with a GNC gold card membership, the value is pretty decent. Some might balk at paying that much for 20 servings, but if you're like me and tend to cycle your PWO anyway it should last a while. While the size of the package may have gotten smaller, the amount of servings and price have not.

----Side Effects----
While I feel that the capsaicin blend and "piperine beadlets" work, they tend to make me have sneezing fits if it hits me just right. The sneezes subside quickly, however. Also, some people may not like the itchiness that comes with this much beta alanine.

----Conclusion----

This has always been a great preworkout, before and after it's reformulation. While I miss the fenugreek, the flavor improvement is more than worth it. I recommend this preworkout for those looking for dependable energy and solid pump.
  • Improved Taste
  • Sneezing
  • Grape: 7/10
  • Fruit Punch: 7/10
  • Orange: 8/10
eller44
  December 22, 2014

----Introduction----
I was in need of a pre-workout asap so I drove down to the local GNC and was convinced by the store manager that ravage was the way to go. A quick glance at the ingredient profile and I bought it just to try it. I have had a few GNC products and have had mixed results.
----Ingredient Profile (8)----
The ingredient profile on this product is pretty good. It is not a concentrated pre workout and is similar to N.O. Xplode and Assault in the fact that it has many ingredients affecting pump, focus, strength and energy (kinda all-in-one instead of focusing on just the stims or pump). It has 1000mg of arginine, 250mg of agmatine, and 200mg of L-citrulline which should all be a littler higher to be more effective. There are 3g of creatine, if you like pre workout with creatine, in the form of monohydrate and a muscle and joint optimizer as a added bonus. There is 200mg of caffeine which is a fairly average dose.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing (6)----
I didn't really enjoy the taste of this all that much, however it wasn't unbearable. It didn't mix all that well and had some settling on the bottom along with a lot of visible floating stuff. It is a large scoop at 21.7 grams and should be mixed with quite a bit of water (at least 12oz) to taste a little better. It also has an interesting odor when you open the tub.

----Effectiveness (8)----
This got my skin tingling fairly good before my workout and provided some pretty consistent energy throughout. It gave me a decent pump but nothing too impressive. I didn't really notice anything with the joint optimizer so I'm not real sure on that part of it.

----Value (6)----
I bought this for $35 and it only has 20 servings. That's a little expensive for me and would like to get a bout 30 servings out of that price however, it does only take one scoop and is a bigger scoop than many pre workouts so that could justify the price a little but should still be a bit cheaper in my opinion.

----Conclusion----
This isn't a bad product and if you don't mind the cost or taste it could help you get through your workout. However, I don't think it is necessarily worth the price when there are cheaper better tasting products that are as effective.
sho4life12
  July 8, 2013

Ok, my first review, so here goes. I had taken a 2 wk break due to joint pain and decided it was time to return to the gym. With my beloved Jack3d under attack from the FDA for DMAA and wanting to try something new, I decided to pick up a tub of GNC's Beyond Raw Ravage. This stuff is NO GOOD. Did not help my workout tasted terrible and was overall a disappointment. I have used Jack3d (my fav), Neurocore (Good if you're against DMAA), 1 MR (new version stinks), and C4 (ok, but pricey).

Taste - 2/10 - I do not drink PWO's because they taste great or for refreshment but taking this was harder than my workout. It tastes like cherry cough syrup, and gave me a red Kool-Aid mustache that I'm sure the ladies at the gym thought was super sexy. And what's with the maple syrup/chemical smell when you exhale and in your shaker? Ugh. However, it mixed well with no residue but I will have nightmares of this blood red evilness.

2.) Results - 4/10 - I did one scoop per workout from start to finish. Usually on an empty stomach when I get home from work, and then eat after. Took about 6-7pm, and did not have trouble sleeping at 11-12. It has beta-alanine so I was expecting that familiar tingle (which I usually like). What I got was burning skin. Really bad burning skin. On fire BURNING SKIN. This was not enjoyable. As far as energy, it got me off the couch, but did nothing for my workout. The energy was clean, as some might say, (however, I like the "I'm on crack, get off my bench," Jack3d feeling). One thing that it did do well was pump. I felt that grinding sand in my biceps feeling on curls and my chest during dumbbell flies. (I do chest and arms on the same day). This also has a thermogenic, Yohimbe, which I didn't know about until after I bought it, and I definitely don't need that at 5"11" 180, 5-7% body fat. I didn't notice it all that much, but I didn't notice the energy all that much either. I made some gains from start to finish, but I attribute that to 1.) having gotten back from a mini-break and 2.) Going from a cut to a mass geared workout.

3.) Side effects - Other than the I'm on fire feeling, it gave me gas. Not bad, and not a stomach ache, but it was there. No magnesium, so I wasn't running for the BR. The staining your mouth thing must be due to too much dye, and the burning sensation lasted far longer than the energy. No crash, kinda just wore off, but just too quickly. Just getting back in, I had some effects left at the end of my workout, but if I was at my usual 2 hours, it would have worn off on me. Recovery times were normal, nothing to write home about. Did not give me that "I'm gonna get this last rep and then another," feeling. Focus was improved but not tunnel vision like Neurocore or C4. The one thing that was predictable was that it worked the same from first scoop until the last, but I never thought it was great to begin with.

4.)Value - 3/10 - Too much mullah. While its a one scooper, you only get 20 servings for about 35-40 bucks. If it was awesome this might be warranted, but its not, so its not.

5.) Overall 4/10 - It does effect you, good or bad, but I would not recommend this product. Its not one of those "dud" products that you take and feel nothing. Too much money for what you get. I loved the pumps but that doesn't outweigh the negatives. I will continue my quest to find a Jack3d replacement, if anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment on my review and of other PWO's I might like.
Lovoi
  April 6, 2013

Hey everyone, i just finished this product and here are my thoughts. i have taken the majority of the top pre workous including assault, black hemo rage, c4, bodyrush, and currently on jack3d

I wanted to get the word out on this pre workout. I am generally not a fan of GNC products but i heard this gave you crazy energy, so i gave it a try.

I bought the orange flavor and it was by far the worst tasting thing i have ever put in my mouth. i dont know if it was the orange that was bad or if all the flavors were terrible but this is a plug your nose and chug kind of drink. all in all awful taste. 1/10

By the time you get to the gym youll feel hot and itchy all over the place and it was awesome! great pumps and increases sets and reps. pump gets 8/10

Well on this product my bench max increased from 190 to 230 and all my other exercises increased. had impressive gains so value is 9/10

unfortunately Ravage was 60$ which is pricey for a pre workout

All in all gnc hit the spot with ravage and whenever i want to go crazy in the gym again ill be sure to by this.
zachss3
  December 10, 2012

I was referred this product of course by a GNC rep as an alternative to say BPI 1 M.R. or some other kind of heavily stimmed pre workout supplement.

First off, it is a good product, however, it is pricey. Most things on the GNC Beyond Raw line are. I paid around $40 for 20 servings. With other products that are the same if not better, you get 28-30 servings. So right off the bat the price was high, but I tried it anyway.

I took the product the full 20 workouts, and was very happy with the results. It worked well, again extremely pricey though. I used it 5 days a week with the 1 scoop max for heavy weight training. It gave me the surge to power through workouts without slowing down.

I experienced ZERO side effects, and I may use the product again. Here are a few things that will summarize everything above:

TASTE: 0/10 - It is the worst tasting supplement ever. Be prepared

Effectiveness: 9/10 - End result is awesome

Price: 6/10 - You can find better products for lower prices.

Recommend: Since this is claiming to be a "hybrid" you wouldn't have to stack it with anything but I stacked mine with I Force Nutrition Hemavol for a stronger pump.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd keep using it!
dieatro14
  July 19, 2012

Wow! Picked this up at GNC 2 tubs for around 70$ (on sale), i must say this might be one of the best PWO supps i have ever taken. This one goes right below MHP's Dark Rage. The engergy i got from this is very similar to Dark Rage, insane focus, incredible pumps and sustained energy!

Ingredients:

Anabolic Muscle Primer 5.30 g
L-Tyrosine
Betaine Anhydrous
Micronized L-Leucine
Fenugreek Extract (Trigonella feonum)(seed)
Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens)(fruit)
Dioscorea Villosa

Muscle Buffering System 3.20 g
Astaxanthin
Beta-Alanine
N.O. Vasodilation Amplifier 3.10 g
Arginine
L-Citrulline
ResVida®-trans Resveratol
Cinnamon Extract (Cinnamomum cassia)(bark)(standardized for trimeric tetrameric Type-A polymers)
ATP Optimizing Creatine Module 3.10 g
L-carnosine
L-Taurine
Caffeine Anhydrous
Choline Bitartrate
Capsicum Fruit Extract (Capsicum annum) (fruit)
Yeah it is a little much in my opinion, but it definately works.

Effectivenes 9/10:
The one thing i really liked about this product is i could feel it working. Around 5 minutes after i took it i could feel the beta alanine kicking in because my skin started to itch which isnt bad because by the time i was warming up for my first set i could feel the caffeine kicking in and start to get tingles. The best part about the energy i got from Ravage is not only that it was explosive but it was also sustained. Towards the end of my workout i could feel myself dying out, and on around my 5th or 6th rep i would get random bursts of energy that kept me going. The last thing i have to say about the energy is it sort of tapered down, meaning i didnt crash at all. After i was finished lifting i felt like a normal human bieng, not completely wiped. Everybody's body chemistry is different so you may feel the effects earlier or later than i did, but all in all i loved the energy.

Taste 6/10:
As i have mentioned, if it tastes good it wont work haha but yeah i didnt buy this product for the taste. I got the fruit punch flavor and it was managable.. there was the occasional day where i just had to gut it to take it but most days i was fine. The first time you try this you will be in for a shock because it does taste fairly bad haha but you will get used to it.

Value 7/10:
70 bucks is a little more than i would have liked to spend for 2 tubs but it really was worth it. The only reason I am giving this a 7/10 is because you definately get everything you paid for if you are willing to shell out the money for something with 20 servings..

Side Effects 8/10:
There were veeery minimal side effects.. the only things i experienced was a slight blood pressure spike (went down after tub), and itchy skin because of the beta-alanine. Thats it though!

Overall 8/10:
I would definately reccomend this to a friend if they are wiling to put out the money..you wont regret it.
LUDWIGBEAST
  June 25, 2012

Hey guys, I know a lot of people are on the fence about GNC product but i'll explain why this one is a hit.

*TASTE- Oh the horror!! I've had the grape and the fruit punch and let me tell you i've tasted a lot of supplements that were hard to stomach but this takes the nasty cake! Both of these flavors were terrible, if you're going to try this product be prepared to shotgun it. Just close your eyes and pretend you're drinking Myofusion or something haha. Although the bad taste it didn't upset my stomach or make me uncomfortable one bit.

*VALUE- Another miss for this product, its 38$ for 22 or 20 servings. I don't like to go over 1$ a day for serving but you're going to have to break that habbit if you want to give this a go. Much better with the gold card, its 44$ without a card.

*EFFECTIVENESS- Now this is the reason for such a high 9 across the board. Stomach the taste and you will be rewarded, I took this before my Back/Bi day and it gave me energy like no other product has before. I felt like I could deadlift 1000lbs it was simply that great. It's hard to put a discription on it unless you try it yourself. Like I said, this is a product that MY body personally took and was instantly spiked with energy. It kept me going for my approx 90-120min work out and I felt like every set was my first on every exercise.

*Overall- I gave it a 9/10 because of the reaction my body had to this product, dispite the taste/cost I think it's a great pre-work out. It has a solid ingredient profile and it DMAA free which is great for college athletes in the NCAA seeing as DMAA is banned. In conclusion, yes I would reccomend this product.
  • Insane Focus
Knox541
  May 4, 2012

Hey everyone, this is my first review ever and hope to help someone and get some good feed back on my review and what I should try next.

I like most beginners started by heading over to GNC and was "talked at" by a worker there. He tried selling me tons of stuff but I decided to pick up the Beyond Raw Ravage. This is my first PWO ever and had nothing to compare it too. The reason I got this was because I had started getting lazy and was skipping workouts. I started working out a lot in the beginning of January and have been ever since. About a month or 2 in I got lazy and saw SR.com thought I would try a PWO, Sooooooo here we go.....

Taste: 7-10: Fruit Punch. The first time I took this it was with room temp water and almost could not handle it, It was so bad and smelled funny. The next day and from then on out I used Ice cold water and not actually really enjoy the taste and it hypes me up knowing that I'm headed to the gym! I have not tried any other flavors, but I am picky so I stick to the more normal flavors in everything I eat and drink.

Mix ability 7-10: I used a shaker bottle every time and It mixed well in that. Ravage did get a little bubbly and towards the end of the bottle it was very gritty and gave me nice quiver after gulping it down. If I could I would add a little more water right at the end and shake it again.

Pump 8-10 : Before this I did not understand what this pump everyone was talking about, but boy the first couple of weeks I would get so pumped I thought I was about to rip the steering wheel right off of my trunk! I felt the tingles in my arms and hands mostly, It felt awesome! This pump and tingles seemed to fade over the 2 months I made the tub last. I did up my dose to 1 and ¼ scoops, helped bring back the pump.

Gains: Since taking this I have noticed strength increases and a harder muscle feeling. My arms and chest have gain a lot of mass and I seem to be losing BF% but that was pretty high when I started working out. My bench max went from 185 about 4 reps to 235 about 4-5 reps in a matter of 3 weeks. I could not even do a pull up when I started lifting 4 months ago and now I do about 5 sets of 6-7 reps.

Effectiveness: 8-10: I got this to help me get off my butt and get to the gym, (this is not an issue any more, I hate when I'm too sore to GO to the gym now) It did just that and for the first couple of weeks taking it, it made me excited to work out and full of energy. This crazy amount of energy did go away after a few weeks, but if I did not use it for 3 or 4 days then next time I used it, it came back for the day. Also if I used more then 1 scoop I felt really good. I always felt much more limber after taking this product. I could tell by my warm up everyday, this never faded. Oh! and I almost forgot to talk about the tunnel vision, this is hard to judge for me since this is my first pwo but it did seem to be there for the first 3 or 4 weeks on it. But, I think it was mostly myself. I can now go to the gym, know what I wanna do and get'r'done!

I only took Ravage on my lifting days, about 4 times a week and I did skip one week which was all running to help prepare me for a 8k I ran. I did enjoy this product and would maybe buy it again. I am switching to DS Craze for now, going to see how I like that. I look forward to have something to compare. I will do a write up on craze when I am done with that tub and talk about what I liked better between the two (Craze and Ravage). Hope for my first review some people find it helpful.
  • Bloating
AngieW5361
  January 6, 2012

This was the second pre-workout I had ever tried at the time. I just got finished with a cycle of the Jack3d and was looking for something else. Packaging was pretty appealing, and the GNC worker talked me into it.

I tried the Fruit Punch flavor.

Taste: Easily one of the worst things I've tasted, but I really couldn't care that much about the taste.

Mixability: Great, even after leaving it on the counter for a while I noticed minimal settling and never got any sand-missles in the eye. Though I used a blender bottle and it does get foamy. And the smell is pretty difficult to get out of your bottle.

When I take a pre-workout with beta-alanine I get the tingles fast and hard. With this I honestly felt overwhelmed with them as it would quickly take effect and I would have to take breaks and just hold my face as it burned to much. And I only took half a scoop at a time. I would have to take this product in the locker room and go straight to working out in hopes to beat the tingles. It would take around 15 minutes for me to be able to get over these which is irritating. But I know not everyone is super sensitive to beta-alanine and I've gotten feedback from people who have taken this who got minimal to no tingles.

HOWEVER after I worked through the tingles every day I got a long lasting pump. I felt generally focused (though unless I'm lifting with distractions I'm not normally un-focused) and I had a good energy. At the time I was taking this I was lifting in the middle of the day so I really needed some energy.

Other than the tingles and if I lifted too hard or drank too much water I would get disgusting ravage-burps I really had no side-effects from the product. Noticed no change in my digestion or antyhing of the sort.

As far as results go I really don't think this product attributed to anything other than giving me the potential and endurance to lift to get the gains. Though that's not really what I highly expect from a pre-workout. But when I was taking this I was the leanest I have ever been, and was taking very minimal products at the time (I beleive I was only taking this, a multi and occasional protien shake. Possiby ab cuts as well) but I was also in the gym every single day and worked A LOT so factors there.

Value: I paid about $50 for this. It says 20 servings, sort of not something I'd pay that highly for again but I probably would pick one up pretty quickly off a clearance rack.

Overall: Reccomended product. It did what I like to see from a pre-workout and sustained throughout. I never had to up my dosage and that was with under-dosing the entire container. I would like to mix it with an NO product like NO3 and see how it works in the future.
jvv104
  November 22, 2011

This was the first pre-workout supplement I've taken, and at first I was skeptical if this would actually work. Prior to this I would just take post-workout protein drinks, but in the past couple months have really become more serious as I'm applying and preparing for the State Trooper academy. It takes minutes to feel the Ravage kick in, and it really surprised me in a good way (this coming from a guy who drinks way too many energy drinks and coffee to begin with). My normal workouts were much easier, I had more energy to expand my reps and pump more, and I could feel it working because I started getting the soreness back the next day knowing that my work outs were actually going harder and better. I couldn't believe it.
The biggest downfall for me personally was the tingly and itchy feeling. I have a pretty strong stomach so I could tolerate the smell and taste which obviously isn't good, and it didnt upset my stomach enough to hurt my workouts, but the feeling I got from it really took a while to get used to. Because of my work schedule I couldnt help but work out later at night, and on top of that I'm not a good sleeper. Needless to say, do not take this later in the day if you have trouble sleeping or are sensitive to caffeine, because you'll have a long night. After your body adjusts its not as bad, I just wish somebody would have expressed how prominent the itching feeling could be, hence the reason I wanted to post this review.
All in all, I love it. With this, my post-workout protein shakes, meal replacement protein drink in the morning, and working out 3-4 days I feel and notice the differences just in the short time I've been taking them all together. I would highly recommend it if you're looking to push yourself, just be careful not to ignore some of the possible side effects.
  • Smells Bad

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.