AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60

By GNC
AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 GNC
8.2/10
(Weighted average based on 164 Reviews)

Ranks #19 of 108 (better than 83%)
in Protein > Whey Protein

Clipper83

This is a great protein in the end

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet. I have gone through several tubs of this and finally realized I haven't posted my 2 cents yet.

Wheybolic is GNC's flagship protein powder. I bet everytime you go in looking for protein, the GNC clerk will try to convince you that Wheybolic is the way to go. While I am one of these evil, money hungry, pushy clerks myself, I will write an honest review on Wheybolic.

Taste/Mixability:10/10
This is a great tasting protein, simple as that. It does not clump at all. It even tastes good in water, believe it or not. I will admit, it is not the BEST tasting protein powder I have ever had(Myofusion pro Cinnamon Roll has my heart), but it is always a pleasure to drink. I never had chocolate or vanilla, but I can tell you that Banana/CnC both taste great!

Effectiveness:9/10
To be honest, I find it very hard to rate this, because in the end, protein is protein. I can't tell someone that this will put on more muscle than ON GS Whey because it is simply not true. Then again, there are more benefits than one may think to using this protein.

This happens to be a whey isolate, so you know it will be digested extremely fast. I prefer this in the morning if I don't feel like eating anything. I never got gas from this, unlike other protein powders I have used. The added BCAAs are a plus as well. When I use to use this postworkout(broscience ftw!), I noticed faster recovery. Could have been a placebo at the time but I def. noticed less soreness.

This would actually be a great cutting whey due to one scoop being only 93 calories with 20 grams of protein per scoop. There is added carnitine and several other goodies, but too little per scoop to make a difference. Less than one gram of sugar per scoop is great as well!

Value:6/10
I get that most of us here hate GNC for their prices. Well I am here to say that I do too! I cant believe that they thought they could get away with this. This is not as bad as p6 from Cellucor's price, but holy christwagons is this an expensive protein.

It can be bought at a great price though. Just buy it on GC week. If it is BOGO you get the first one at 20% off and the second one at 70% off. That's like buying one at full price but the second one being at 90% off. That would raise the value to an 8/10, but at $76.99 for a tub right now(at least at my GNC), you are fine going to ON GS Whey.

On a side note, there are 51 servings per container. One scoop has 20 grams of protein which is an average amount for many powders. I would never go by the 60 grams of protein per serving they recommend. I wish they would change the name in all honesty.

Overall:6.5/10
This is a great protein in the end. I buy it from time to time when I extra money to spend on supplements. I recommend at least giving this product a go every once in a while because it does taste good, and is very high quality. The value makes it too hard to make this a staple, but there is no reason why this can't be thrown in your stack every once in a while.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Low Calorie
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Overrated
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!

Posted August 23, 2012
Overall should be a 7 by the way ! :( oops....

Mooselini

Posted August 23, 2012
When i first started to read your review i though you said i cant believe im reviewing this product

Posted August 23, 2012
good review, in my opinion hydroplatinum whey is much better. I literally did a month on each back to back and got wayyyy better results on the hydroplatinum and the chocolate is ridiculously good flavored

shinndigg

Posted August 23, 2012
As a fellow pushy GNC associate I agree it's over priced, but it is a good product.

Posted August 23, 2012
Haha I wanna try this so bad! The price is what always holds me back!

Posted August 24, 2012
I'm actually not that pushy Shin haha, but I still recommend this to many customers because it's technically the best whey you can get.

Posted August 24, 2012
Is this pure hydrolyzed whey?

No it's Hydro/Iso

shinndigg

Posted August 24, 2012
I get you clip, I always recommend this too because it's a P3 and makes me more $$$, hahaha

Posted August 24, 2012
We don't get commission on this though, it just helps our numbers :)

Posted August 24, 2012
I too work at GNC, and for some reason the price of wheybolic keeps going up, i remember when it used to be around 65, now its 76! Great tasting, and in my opinion it works really well, ive got really good results from it and its basically the only thing i use besides re-feed.

jthayer1

Not the worst but you can find better

Well this review is a long time coming. Not a huge fan of GNC brand products but when it comes to protein, knowing that ON plays a role in the making of GNC proteins then you can't really go wrong. This product is a nice profile put together. Strong amino acid spectrum and a nice blend of isolates and hydrolyzed proteins. Also gotta love the added L-carnitine to help fend off the fat gains and metabolize alittle extra.

Here goes nothing.

Taste: 7/10 Usually done chocolate because chocolate is usually the safe bet and doesn't seem to get bland and boring like most other flavors. This tasted like drinking generic hot cocoa mix but with a strange after taste.. hard to explain. It's not horrid but it's not the best. Easy to down.

Mixability: 10/10. It's instantized. Enough said.

Effectiveness: 8/10. Its a big help on cut diets to get protein in at one of the lowest calorie counts you can find. 97 calories per 20 grams of protein is almost unbeatable and perfect for dieting. I didn't notice this 30% gain in strength as advertised but I think experienced buyers pretty much understand that there usually isn't much strength gain noticed on protein products. However the product does whats expected. Provides low calorie fast absorbing protein for replenishment post workout.

Value: 7/10.. If you split the serving to 30 grams then it boils down to about 1.75 per serving if you buy it at 59.99 which is what you pay in stores. I got my tub for about 38 so the value was a little better, however, I will rate it as if I bought it like everyone else has to. Not the worst but you can find better.

Overall: GNC got something right.. but with ON playing a role in the manufacturing then how much credit can be given. Anyway, it's a solid product that lives up to what its suppose to do. Bottom line it's not disappointing and ideal for cut diets or lean gainers. I personally would prefer Pro Complex or iso pure before this but this product works fine and can't go wrong with the low calorie count along with the quality of protein this contains.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Nice Amino Profile
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Price
  • Serving Size Too Much

deumcole

Posted March 12, 2011
What you do special to get it at $38?

jthayer1

Posted March 12, 2011
that was when I worked at gnc and bought a tub. At the time it was on sale for 49.99 and with employee discount it came out to like 37 and change with tax.

Manimal

Posted March 12, 2011
Picked up 4 tubs on a pricing error on the GNC site. 4 tubs at $19.99 a piece :D

nice review man. Love this stuff!

Does What It Says and Then Some

I wont bore readers with a breakdown of the ingredients in this protein. What I will do is review what I felt while I took two tubs of chocolate flavor and following the 2-scoop serving (more on that to follow).

I'm going to get the bad out of the way first, so you can see it's not really "bad" so to say but I'm sure some of you may know where I'm going with this:

Price: Terrible. Highway robbery. Those are the words I can use to describe how I felt when I plunked $64 dollars down for a tub of this. However, GNC constantly has deals on this product as BOGO/half off and that's where the real price value can be attained.

Taste: Horrid. I read many reviews where readers thought it tasted great but I will kindly disagree. It tasted like ash and synthetics. Since we have all swallowed supplements thousands of times, we know how to not taste things when we eat/drink them and that's what I would do with this protein.
---------------------
Now the GOOD:

Ingredient Profile:
At 2 scoops (big ones)--you get 40 grams of protein and all the BCAA's a lifter needs. This is the serving I dosed at for two tubs and I wouldn't recommend you waste your money on the 60 gram serving. I can't in all honesty advise this since the product is pricey and there are great, bountiful reasons for sticking to the 40 gram serving. The label will explain to the user what the profiles are from 20-60 grams (1-3 scoops). I will leave that up to the user to decide but I had great effects from 2 scoops (40 grams). The rest of the ingredients can be found on a simple Internet search.

Mixability:
I would say it stands with O.N. Two scoops in about 5 ounces of water broke down to a non-clumpy drink and quite easily. No pudding like effect either.

I'm not a scientist nor was I part of any blind study to break down the effects of this product. However, I know what it's like to not use protein in some ways (not including through diet) when heavy weight training is involved. It's silly not to supplement a quality protein.

I am being truthful when I say this product took most of the soreness away the next day and left my muscles in a state of "readiness." What I mean by readiness is this: I can do my 2 day split with ease, not worrying about how my body will feel the next day after a workout when I need to hit it hard again. No other protein mix has done this for me personally and I'm currently on a tub of Platinum Hydrowhey to test this (slightly cheaper than than Wheybolic).

I know my body is getting the nutrition it needs, the protein to feed my muscles and safely recover from a brutal workout.

I was able to add weight (of course not 50 pounds each time) to each routine, week after week. I'm a set to rep lifter (more sets, 6-8 reps) and the recovery this product gave me kept me where I wanted to be, each lift.

I would recommend this powder based on recovery alone.

Use:
I took 2 scoops about 20 minutes after my workout, with 2 Kre-Alkalyn caps. Before each workout, I used Assault, with 3 Kre caps.

If I pounded myself hard the day before, I would take just 1 scoop in the morning and eat breakfast.

Overall:
This protein doesn't make you feel bloated/full (can be taken before a meal without making you feel like you've eaten already).

The ingredient profile is enough to show you that your supplementing properly for recovery. The price point stinks but think of what you're doing in the gym. I used to mix my own supplements and take them with Gold Standard but it became pretty tedious to do that (others may do very well at it).

I'd like to experiment with a scoop about a half hour before the workout (when I get a tub again and rest assured I will) to see if I can increase recovery as well.

This protein is also good on my kidneys as I've had other protein products raise my kidney numbers (simple blood test from your doctor can help guide your dosages). So that's another big plus for users who are slightly intolerant to "too much" protein.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it can help someone else out there.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Strength Gains
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Strength Increase
  • Protein Tolerance
  • Terrible Taste

irondude

Posted December 2, 2013
Is a nice overpriced protein, I just buy it close dated(next to exp date) and use it post wo.

would recommend this "ONLY" if you can get 3 total lbs for under 40 buck

Hey everyone this is my 2nd Amp review. I got this because it was the only one in that product line that looked great. But like most I was not going to pay max price for this or even the "20%" off was just not worth it. anyway I finally go it for an ok price so.............TO THE REVIEW.

Price=5...

Price=5 ok im rating this at the sticker price of 60bucks for the 3lb tub. BUT i got two 1 1/2lb bags for a bogo plus the 20%off. at that point it was like 37 bucks or something like that. which is a decent price for the quality of the product.

Profile=8 ok this has 280cals per serving, only 1g of fat and 7g of carbs which is ok, its a hair more salt than i would like but its not a lot. You get some calcium and potassium but at max serving the protein is a whooping 60g which is more than anyone needs for post workout. They put avg amounts of glutamine, bcaa's, and arginine, along with aminogen/digestive enzymes.

One of the selling factors for me was the 500mg of canitine. which if you have been following my reviews is a personal favorite of mine. Now the fact they dont have a prop blend (they have a few mixes but i can live with that) gives it another plus. my biggest Problem with this is at max dose this is a 79g serving! thats just a little to much for me. I didnt do the 3 scoops I did 2 or 2 1/2 depending on the day.

taste=7 i had 2 flavors, the tropical punch and strawberry. the punch was great but the strawberry had a weird after taste.

Mixability=8 meh its average considering the amount of water/powder ratio you need. it can get gritty but still not bad.

I would recommend this "ONLY" if you can get 3 total lbs for under 40 bucks. I dont like the 1 1/2lb bags they really get annoying unless you dump them in a tub. also to go through the hoops that gnc makes u go through to get this at a decent price is very annoying.

*This was purchased and used before my current job.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Tastes Great
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Price
  • Serving Size Too Much

Mooselini

Posted November 1, 2011
^^^ i was like rico with a gnc product what??? Now i need to try vitamin shoppes protein

Posted November 1, 2011
i love bodytech protein, i just havent got to its review yet

So I need to first say that I am a GNC Employee, so you can take this review however you would like.
This is also my first product review ever. Hopefully I am as thorough as possible.

PRICE: 6.5/10 Right now at my store it is 69.99 a bottle for the big tubs, (yes i know 70 bucks is a lot) With the Gold card and when it is buy one get one fifty percent of your price with tax is 86.50, making a price of 23.58 grams of protein per dollar spent. For comparison ON 100% whey is 52.99 Extreme Milk Chocolate, and not including tax)on BBing.com and in store at GNC, that is 31.26 grams of protein per dollar for the 5 pound tub. (This method of price calculation works well with all 100% whey types of protein, but don't try it on a weight gainer.)

Quality and Content: 10/10- First off everyone should know that optimum makes all of GNC's protein, so when you are slamming how bad GNC protein is you are slamming Optimum. Whey 60 is isolate and Hydrolyzed protein. So it mixes really well. This is my guess and it is nothing but that but I believe that most of the isolates are Cross-flow microfiltration (CFM) whey isolates, I say that because it does not have the grainy texture like Isopure and other proteins that say they are ion-exchange. In my opinion CFM whey is better than ion-exchange because more of the protein is digestible, even though ion-exchange usually yields more protein, it is not as digestible because of the use of electricity.
There is a lot of L-Leucine and Glutamine in this protein, I only use two scoops so i get about 5.13 grams of Leucine and 7.24 grams of Glutamine and 40 grams of protein, .6g of fat, and 4.6 grams of carbs.
There is also 500mg of Carnitine per 3 scoops (333.33 mg per two scoops), so unless you are taking additional carnitine you really are not getting much out of that; the recommendation i see from most sources is between 4000 and 6000mg. It also has 23 grams of micronized aminos per 3 scoops, so a little over 8 grams per scoop.

Taste: 10/10- Flavors in the tubs are Chocolate, Vanilla, C&C, strawberry, Banana, and fruit punch.
I really like Banana and Chocolate, cookies and cream is not anything special. But the banana is the best banana i have had, tied with Myofusion banana perfection. (yes, i did say that it is JUST AS GOOD!! ;-))

Recovery: 10/10 with all the things it has listed above it is no wonder that it has such a good recovery rating. I am not sore like I usually get when I do a heavy leg day for example. It is a great protein.

Summary: Besides the price it is a great protein that is manufactured by an upstanding company.
PS. I have seen on a lot of reviews for this protein and other proteins saying that you can not digest a given number of protein in an hour, this is false. Digestion is when the food item passes from the small intestine into the body, (going from gut to blood, if you will) The body is very good at digesting protein, it digests about 98+ percent of all protein that you put unto it. If it did not, because of proteins properties we would have diarrhea whenever we ate to much protein!! weather it can use all of it is a separate issue.
Food for thought.
Thanks for reading.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Great For People Who Have A Hard Time Keeping Their Bf Levels Down Or With Slow Metabolisms
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Helps Tone
  • Strength Gains
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Strength Increase
  • Sometimes It Is Sold Be Gnc Employees Who Need To Hit Stats Or Just Don't Know Anything

Posted February 17, 2012
This is my go-to Whey. I have tried nearly everything and I hate like heck to pay top dollar for anything so I would love to find an affordable replacement but I can't. Regardless, GNC employee or not, this is a very good product and worth the extra cost unless and until someone can beat it IMHO. Good review bro.

Excellent review

RichE

Posted February 17, 2012
Hi, great review and helpful. Any idea how the product is with type 2 diabetes? Thanks.

Posted February 17, 2012
Richie. It is pretty low carb so it shouldn't do much in that way. But it does have a pretty high leucine content so it will produce an insulin response. So if you are using insulin after workout remember to take that into account or you might drop to low

The supplements in this protein are zen for me

I do not think you should limit yourself to using just WHEY protein; however, when using whey protein I suggest you try several until you find the right one for YOU.

GNCs AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 is the right one for me. I wish it wasn't because it is difficult to get it on sale, or on a BOGO free and it is expensive if you pay retail for it. (That's a negative.)

It is easy to find and you can have it shipped to your house (often free) so that is a plus.

It tastes great (I prefer chocolate) although there is honestly better tasting protein out there.

The supplements in this protein are zen for me. They hit the mark. The (micronized)amino acid profile is impressive and the 60 grams of protein in three scoops will cost you 280 calories (240 of those are pure protein- 86%) and it provides a nice little punch of calcium to boot.

((On a bulk try three scoops of this, one half to one bannana, two tsp of peanut butter, and add a greek vanilla yogurt, 1 cup of ice, 1 cup of chocolate milk and 1 cup of water in a blender and shazam - 675 healthy calories.))

All and all I can only say that if you buy a good whey protein your personal needs, digestive tolerances and tastes are most important IMHO. Look for isolates and hydrolysates (AMP 60 uses both) and luecine (7.7 gms in this one).

And finally, I don't always use WHEY protein but when I do, I prefer AMP Extreme 60. ;-)

Pros:
Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Strength Gains
  • Tastes Great
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Price
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!

Manimal

Posted February 2, 2012
lol, nice ending line, John.

Looks like you're fitting in just fine here with your reviews.

Posted February 2, 2012
Thanks Manimal. I have read a lot of your reviews and they have been very helpful.

wow this stuff is amazing! best protein ever. haha i'm just kidding. i know what your all thinking, "here we go again, another moron who got tricked by the GNC guy." wrong. a few years back when i lifted i used Pro Complex and absolutley loved it. had great gains from it. unfortunatley, it always had a bad side effect (sprinting to the bathroom immediatley after drinking it post workout. i asked the GNC guy if anything compared in quality and he recomended wheybolic and as soon as he pointed out the digestive enzyme blend, i was sold.

mixability-10/10. doesnt get much better than this stuff. a few flicks of the wrist with my shaker cup and it was instantly mixed. i also mix it in a glass with a spoon when i dont feel like cleaning my shakercup.

taste-9/10. taste is delicious when mixed with water and was pretty bad with milk. i have tried the chocolate, vanilla, and fruit punch. chocolate reminds me of hot chocolate when you let it sit too long and it gets cold. vanilla was very similar to Pro Complex and fruit punch straight up SUCKS.

value- 8.5/10. i have bought 4 tubs total so far and everytime it was $33.99 per tub. i use 2 scoops postworkout so thats 33.99 for 25 workouts. not too bad if you ask me.

overall-9/10. i have used 4 tubs like i said and in the 2 months of using this i have literally gotten stronger every single week. i admit that my diet is much better now then it used to be but i really owe alot to this product too. also, with the digestive enzymes, i experience little to not bloated after downing a shake and never any gas like other proteins i have used.
bottom line...this product is extremely pricey! if you dont use your gold card or if its not bogo then its probably not worth the price. nothing is worth 63.99 IMO. im not saying this is a miracle protein but if you got the money then try a bag of it to see if your body reacted as well as mine did.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Helps Tone
  • Tastes Great
  • Do Not Get Fruit Punch Flavor
  • Price

This product was so good

Where do i start? I'm a big guy trying to lose weight i always been into taking low calorie protein like Isopure whey isolates and ON Gold Standard 100% Whey. Went to GNC to pick up another bottle of gold standard the sales man talked me into trying this out. My friend is the manager there so i talked to him about it before i bought it, he told me the only problem with this product is the price but it will get me to my goal in losing/ maintaining weight and gaining strength and lean muscle. This product was so good i stocked up on it when GNC had their buy one get the 2nd 50% off.

Pros: for 60 Grams a protein it's pretty lean compared to Isopures 50 Grams and On gold standard at 48 Grams. There's a good amount of vitamins and amino acids to help you recover quickly and BCAAs that you Need To Build Muscle. The taste is pretty good compared to Isopures watery foaming taste.

Cons: Price will put holes in your pockets. stack up when they have their sells.

As a meal replacement: I don't take the full dosage i take 2 scoops at about 40 grams of protein (taking out about 70 calories off of your intake). I only take the full 60 grams instantly after i workout!

Bottom line: If you're trying to maintain your weight and gain lean muscle you should really give GNC amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 a try. If you're not satisfied with it they have a 30 return policy. Read the fine print though!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Tastes Great
  • Helps Tone
  • Strength Gains
  • Amazing Recovery

Posted January 27, 2011
nice review bro

venom434

Although I am a current employee at GNC, I am not bias when it comes to supplements; so I will write an honest review.

The ingredient profile of the product is good for quick recovery...

The ingredient profile of the product is good for quick recovery and lean muscle mass. Made from Whey isolates/hydroisolates; per scoop consisting of 20g protein, 60 calories, 0.6g sugar, 0.3g fat. Good amount of amino acids, not going to list all of them though.

It says to take 3 scoops which equals 1 serving. I don't think 3 scoops is necessary and I always consider 1 scoop of any protein brand 1 serving. so I just took 1 scoop upon waking and 1 scoop post work out. also taking 1-2 shakes non workout days.

I've had only chocolate and its one of the better tasting chocolate proteins I've had. It mixes smooth with no clumps and is easily on the stomach and digesting. I usually mixed this with skim milk.

I felt like this did help with quick recovery, while being able to stay lean without putting on any fat and a good fast absorbing shake first thing in the morning.

The only thing that keeps me from giving it all 9's is the price. I believe it is over priced and that's what keeps people from buying this and some other GNC brand products, not necessarily product quality.

Over all its a good product. if you don't live in the Pittsburgh PA area where gold card is everyday and .bogo on GNC brand products is everyday too, try to take it on sale at your local store

Pros:
Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Helps Tone
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Helps With Good Diet

ironajax

I love this product

So I guess that by now, not many people are suprised to find that this product might be the "hidden gem" it the GNC trash heap. I've gone through multiple tubs of this protein and heartily recommend it, with one giant qualifying statement.

Taste: 8/10
Quite tasty, I must say. I started off with the cookies and cream flavor, and enjoyed it a bunch, until I finished my post workout shake, and got distracted about rinsing it out. When I went to open up my bottle the next day, my nostrils were Assaulted by an appallig stench, which has left me unable to drink that flavor anymore. However, I don't blame the product, as it was totally my bad. I've tried vanilla and chocolate and both were good enough that I enjoyed the drink, instead of choking it down, which really makes the difference for me.

Mixability 9/10
Coupla shakes and you are good to go. Minimal lumps or powder. Not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Effectivenesses 10/10
Its tasty, with a lots of quick digesting protein. Minimal fat and decent carbs, I've made it my post workout for as long as i've been supplementing, which is around 6 years. Great strength and size gains throughout, and good maintenance during cutting cycles and rest periods. I usually take 1 1/2 to 2 scoops as post instead of 3 because I really don't need 60 grams right after my workout.

Value 5/10, 10/10*
The real conundrum, the fly in the soup, the gristle between your teeth. Regularly priced, it is about $2 a serving. That'll DO, pig! Do they mix in flakes of gold? I wouldn't pay that much and neither should you. The real kicker is that as a store brand, they put it in sale all the freaking time. Its almost rare to find it not on BOGO 50%, sometimes even BOGO free. And if you get it for that, plus Gold Card 20% off, then it suddenly becomes a downright great deal.

Overall 9/10
I love this product, but because of the pricing issue, I can't 100% recommend it. If you can get it on sale, buy it, know it, love it. If not, I would consider another brand. With patience and good shopping, this product will treat you right.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Strength Gains
  • Tastes Great
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!

bosox516