AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Reviews

By: GNC

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #18 of 100 (better than 83%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by GNC. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (8)
THIS PRODUCT

7.7g
CATEGORY AVG

7.7g

One of the 3 Branched Chain Amino Acids that is responsible for stimulating muscle protein synthesis (MPS).

THIS PRODUCT

500mg
CATEGORY AVG

500mg

Derivative of the amino acid lysine that helps the body convert fat to energy.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Dmckittrick
Rep: -3
  January 21, 2016

----Introduction----

Well hey there everyone, yea this IS my first review. My name is Dalton sorry if this is rough around the edges, never done a written review :D. I have been lifting for 10 years now. I started when I was 13 and now am 23 it has been quite the journey and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It has taught me so many lessons on how to be a better version of myself, I couldn't imagine where I would be if I never would have started. In that 10 year span I have taken many supplements. I started out with proteins and weight gainers around 15 16, and this product here just happens to be the first whey based protein I ever took. My diet usually consists of many carbs (mostly complex), lots of protein(not always the cleanest I enjoy mass rather its wet or dry), and my fat intake depends on the type of lifting im doing at the time(bodybuilding, powerlifting, Olympic) or how i've designed my program. Sorry if im jumping around haven't done an intro for a long time. When I first started lifting I just lifted... too much too often, had no certain program, and didn't care that much about it. Luckily my dad(who did a little bodybuilding in his day) and my coaches at school saw potential in me, even with my foot long hair and awkward looking peach fuzz face. Ok back to fifteen, once I had been lifting a couple years I realized I needed to make my lifting a little more focused because I was starting to find a passion for lifting. You all know what that meant, it was time to be the next Arnold :) yes bodybuilding became my first true love and I thought it was the only way to lift after my decision to start. So I continued bodybuilding for quite sometime, I do want to mention I had a fairly high level of natural strength. This is why I disregaurded all other forms of lifting because I was making BOTH constant strength and size gains bodybuilding with bodybuilding rep ranges. This worked for quite a while setting records at the school and being what I saw in my selfish 15/16 year old mind as "the best" :). Luckily this eventually all changed one day when I met my first powerlifting mentor at the little dungeon gym we used to have in my hometown. I can still remember the day I met him, I walked into the gym ,saw 565 on a bench bar, kinda pooed a little then seen this skinny framed 220 lb guy walk over to it. He asked if I could be a side spotter as not many people went to the gym in my town. I happily agreed he said "yea just an easy lift off I should get 2 or 3"..... WHAT 2 or 3 yes I was ready to run away with my tail between my legs. Eventually he asked me what I was training for and I said I don't know and that's when I was introduced to powerlifting. Also did I mention this guy was a deadlifter lol. He showed me the ropes and eventually at the age of 17 I set a state record in bench press and narrowly missed beating the shirted bench record raw. anyhow after that I sadly thought that my life was all about alcohol for a while. I got in some trouble started going down a horrible path I wont go into gorey detail. However there was a period from 18 to mid to late 20's when lifting took a backburner to this lifestyle. Somehow during this time I was managing good grades in college, although I was still using supplements I was using them very VERY incorrectly. During this time I pulled off running a successful ph cycle with the help of my chemistry teacher. I ran a cycle of p-mag yes it was a mistake at that age, NEVER would I EVER suggest that anyone run a ph cycle that young. however I researched it for about a year before. I pre loaded all the good supports ran cycle assist, milk thistle, hawthorne during. After cycle I ran pct assist, animal stakII, and some good old liquid nolv I cant remember the exact dosages but you get what im saying. I am very very grateful im not on hormone replacement therapy today from my past stupidity. Alright, once I got past the stint of stupidity and got cleaned up I started bodybuilding once again, and today the most accurate thing I can tell you is I love both sports Olympic lifting eh its ok but not my fav. Well much of that brings me to this point I have been using supplement reviews for a long time. It has been involved in most if not all of my research, I have never found a site that remotely measures up to SR and hopefully I can add a little more to the already amazing collaboration of knowledge. I hope this is detailed enough if there is something I should do different please let me know as I am new to writing reviews. I plan on doing many more reviews on things such as natty t boosters, pre-workouts, pump agents, and many more!

----Ingredient Profile----

I wont go into crazy detail and list all of the ingredients however I will give you my opinion on 60 g of protein. I am by no means calling this a bad product I think its a great product but 60 g of protein at full dose. I don't know if this is so they can also sell you digestive enzymes with it or what but if you take full dose without, unless you have a very high bodyweight and most of your bodyweight is muscles youre not using near 60 g. I believe when I used this product I used the full dose because back then I was under-educated on supplementation, I only weighed 160 lbs :D most of it turned into waste :D just like the money haha. but it is a solid product packed with aminos, lots of them and a couple other goodies you don't usually see in protein. 7/10 just too much protein

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

I never once had a problem with this category other than with water if using a human sized dosage the flavor could be slightly dull but no big deal. 9/10

----Effectiveness----

In my opinion this is very effective as a whey protein because it's a little more than just that with all the extras, it can help you gain muscle mass, strength, it can definitely help recovery as well. however if you take at full 3 scoops it can very easily help you with gaining extra fat as well. 8/10

----Value----
Yes this is absolutely the biggest con to the whole product there are far cheaper whey isolates/hydrosolates on the market, one just has to make the personal decision if the extra "goodies" are worth it or not. 6/10

----Side Effects----

none except for fat gain if dosage is not matched up to body's needs. 9/10

----Conclusion----
Well here we are the end of my first review hope it hasn't been to much of a train wreck. As far as the product goes it can be a great product if used in the correct dosage that your body needs, however if it isn't dosed correctly a lot of it goes in the toilet along with money per serving. When it comes to product price, yes it is expensive but there is a very valid argument that it is totally worth it with all of the extra aminos and other goodies in it. That is the main reason I gave the overall a 7/10 this product varies for everyone depending on preference. Well if you're reading this thank you for sticking around, thank you for your time, and remember the greatest supplement is your mind so think strong ;) bye guys and gals till next time.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Strength Gains
  • Indurance
  • Tastes Great
  • Price
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!
  • Serving Size Too Much
  • Don't Use 3 Scoops Too Much Protein!
MrFusion
  December 2, 2013

I wont bore readers with a breakdown of the ingredients in this protein. What I will do is review what I felt while I took two tubs of chocolate flavor and following the 2-scoop serving (more on that to follow).

I'm going to get the bad out of the way first, so you can see it's not really "bad" so to say but I'm sure some of you may know where I'm going with this:

Price: Terrible. Highway robbery. Those are the words I can use to describe how I felt when I plunked $64 dollars down for a tub of this. However, GNC constantly has deals on this product as BOGO/half off and that's where the real price value can be attained.

Taste: Horrid. I read many reviews where readers thought it tasted great but I will kindly disagree. It tasted like ash and synthetics. Since we have all swallowed supplements thousands of times, we know how to not taste things when we eat/drink them and that's what I would do with this protein.
---------------------
Now the GOOD:

Ingredient Profile:
At 2 scoops (big ones)--you get 40 grams of protein and all the BCAA's a lifter needs. This is the serving I dosed at for two tubs and I wouldn't recommend you waste your money on the 60 gram serving. I can't in all honesty advise this since the product is pricey and there are great, bountiful reasons for sticking to the 40 gram serving. The label will explain to the user what the profiles are from 20-60 grams (1-3 scoops). I will leave that up to the user to decide but I had great effects from 2 scoops (40 grams). The rest of the ingredients can be found on a simple Internet search.

Mixability:
I would say it stands with O.N. Two scoops in about 5 ounces of water broke down to a non-clumpy drink and quite easily. No pudding like effect either.

I'm not a scientist nor was I part of any blind study to break down the effects of this product. However, I know what it's like to not use protein in some ways (not including through diet) when heavy weight training is involved. It's silly not to supplement a quality protein.

I am being truthful when I say this product took most of the soreness away the next day and left my muscles in a state of "readiness." What I mean by readiness is this: I can do my 2 day split with ease, not worrying about how my body will feel the next day after a workout when I need to hit it hard again. No other protein mix has done this for me personally and I'm currently on a tub of Platinum Hydrowhey to test this (slightly cheaper than than Wheybolic).

I know my body is getting the nutrition it needs, the protein to feed my muscles and safely recover from a brutal workout.

I was able to add weight (of course not 50 pounds each time) to each routine, week after week. I'm a set to rep lifter (more sets, 6-8 reps) and the recovery this product gave me kept me where I wanted to be, each lift.

I would recommend this powder based on recovery alone.

Use:
I took 2 scoops about 20 minutes after my workout, with 2 Kre-Alkalyn caps. Before each workout, I used Assault, with 3 Kre caps.

If I pounded myself hard the day before, I would take just 1 scoop in the morning and eat breakfast.

Overall:
This protein doesn't make you feel bloated/full (can be taken before a meal without making you feel like you've eaten already).

The ingredient profile is enough to show you that your supplementing properly for recovery. The price point stinks but think of what you're doing in the gym. I used to mix my own supplements and take them with Gold Standard but it became pretty tedious to do that (others may do very well at it).

I'd like to experiment with a scoop about a half hour before the workout (when I get a tub again and rest assured I will) to see if I can increase recovery as well.

This protein is also good on my kidneys as I've had other protein products raise my kidney numbers (simple blood test from your doctor can help guide your dosages). So that's another big plus for users who are slightly intolerant to "too much" protein.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it can help someone else out there.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Strength Gains
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Protein Tolerance
  • Terrible Taste
red259
  May 22, 2013

I have only tried the chocolate flavor of this product and I mix it with water. It mixes extremely well and the taste is much better than any other whey protein I have tried. I do not follow the suggested serving size of three scoops (60g of protein) as I feel that is way too much protein at once. On heavy lifting days I will have two scoops (40g protein) pre-workout and two scoops post workout. On cardio or lighter days I usually just have one shake with a scoop and a half.

I have not noticed any side effects, although I do notice a significant recovery in my muscles from day to day. I am very happy with this product with the exception of the price. It is extremely expensive (even with my GNC gold card) and I will be giving ON Standard Gold a try to see if I can get similar results at a much better price point.

Overall if you see this product offered at a significantly discounted price (or if you don't care about how much you pay) I would strongly recommend it, otherwise I would only recommend it if you can't find anything else out there that works well for you.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Price
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!
  • Serving Size Too Much
DnA
Rep: -7
  April 22, 2013

I spent a long time staying away from protein shakes because I remember them being chalky and bland. My husband has been drinking AMP for some time now and had me try it one day and I've been stuck since.
It tastes amazing. In fact its so good on the days my kids are feeling like picky eaters we mix them up some with a little almond milk and they love it.
I have 1 scoop before the gym with creatine mixed in. Then another scoop right after the gym with creatine and glutamine mixed in. Then at night after dinner we make our dessert shakes. 1 scoop of chocolate AMP, half a banana, and some peanut butter blended with some ice.
I weight lift 2+ hours/5 days a week so I needed the extra protein and low carbs/fat. It keeps me full and gives me the energy I need for my workout.
My husband mixes in some Soy protein in with his 3 scoops in the am before he lifts.
It has given both of us amazing recovery time as well. Compared to other proteins this one is the only one Ill drink. Its worth the money and the big tub lasts the both of us a couple weeks.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Good Price
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!
got2lift
  December 5, 2012

after countless encounters with gnc clerks trying to persuade me to try this product i finally gave in and picked up a few tubs on bogo. before i get into the review i wanna suggest that you actually take 2 scoops post workout instead of 3 just so you dont go through the tub in a 10 daysand 40 g of protein is a pretty dam good amount but hey thats just me do what you gotta do haha.

mixability- alright so everyone loves a protein that mixes well and doesnt leave you with those clumps. if any of you have ever tried the ON gold standard whey protein i would compare it to the AMP due to the fact that it mixes efficiently and rather quick so i would rate this a 10 for mixability also keep in mind i did this with a blender.

effectiveness/ results- now on the tub it claims by taking this you will be/ feel 30% stronger after finsihing. for me i definately felt alittle stronger but with all honesty nothing completely major. what really shined about this product was the recovery time my muscles/body really loved this product after a good intense workout in the gym i would gulp down 2 scoops of this and feel pretty dam good in the morning with little to no soreness. for effectiveness i give it a 9 only because in my opinion nothing can be perfect.

taste- i grabbed the cookies n cream flavor and i have no complaints on its taste. with milk it tasted like a shake and even with water it wasnt that bad as opposed to other products i have tried.

final thoughts- definatelly will be buying again but make sure you get it either on gold card week or on a bogo deal unless you can afford it regulary.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!
Rusty218
  November 24, 2012

Hello, I'm 46 yrs old and have been lifting on and off since high school. I have recently got back in the gym due to weight gain. As I started to get back in a routine, I wanted to maximize my workouts, and find a product to help with recovery and muscle gain. So, I've tried a number of proteins and wasn't happy with the results I was having. I do cardio every other day, and lift on the off cardio days. I eat fairly clean, and I was seeing weight loss, but not results that I wanted from muscle gain. Like I said I tried a couple of proteins that I wasn't happy with, and then someone recommended wheybolic extreme 60. Within the first month of using this product, I started seeing improvements in my strength, and muscle mass. I've tried chocolate and strawberry, and both are very tasty. I have no problem with mixing, I get no bloating or gas. I only do 2 scoops after my workout and have still had great results.
As I said I'm 46, and have never felt this good in all my years of going to the gym. The only downside is it is a little costly, but when GNC has a special, buy one get second half off, it's a pretty good deal.
I've since recommended this to a few of my buddies, and they have had the same results.
So, overall I love the taste, recovery, and the gains I've had since using this product. I'm still using it, and recommend it to everybody. Just wish it wasn't so costly!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Strength Gains
  • Indurance
bicketybam
  October 15, 2012

I am going to keep this short. First, I just got back into weight training, so I do not have anything to compare this to. I've been taking this product for 4 weeks and I don't plan on stopping. That said, I will give you my impressions.

Mixability - I use a blender and I have no issues.

Taste - I use the chocolate and I think it tastes awesome. I look forward to drinking this after my workout and will also use it as a meal supplement on the weekends.

Recovery - I just started working out after a 14 year layoff and I have been pushing myself. I should be extremely sore the next day and I am not. I have to think this product has something to do with that. It allows me to lift as heavy as I can without the fear of being crippled the next day. A little sore? Yes. But nothing like I have experienced in the past.

Side effects - made me really gassy in the beginning. And it was the really smelly type of gas. But it completely went away after a week.

Value - As others have said, it's pricey. I only take 2 scoops. 40 grams of protein is more than enough for me. Honestly, it is a good value for me because I really like the product.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Helps With Good Diet
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It
  • Serving Size Too Much
Clipper83
  August 23, 2012

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this product yet. I have gone through several tubs of this and finally realized I haven't posted my 2 cents yet.

Wheybolic is GNC's flagship protein powder. I bet everytime you go in looking for protein, the GNC clerk will try to convince you that Wheybolic is the way to go. While I am one of these evil, money hungry, pushy clerks myself, I will write an honest review on Wheybolic.

Taste/Mixability:10/10
This is a great tasting protein, simple as that. It does not clump at all. It even tastes good in water, believe it or not. I will admit, it is not the BEST tasting protein powder I have ever had(Myofusion pro Cinnamon Roll has my heart), but it is always a pleasure to drink. I never had chocolate or vanilla, but I can tell you that Banana/CnC both taste great!

Effectiveness:9/10
To be honest, I find it very hard to rate this, because in the end, protein is protein. I can't tell someone that this will put on more muscle than ON GS Whey because it is simply not true. Then again, there are more benefits than one may think to using this protein.

This happens to be a whey isolate, so you know it will be digested extremely fast. I prefer this in the morning if I don't feel like eating anything. I never got gas from this, unlike other protein powders I have used. The added BCAAs are a plus as well. When I use to use this postworkout(broscience ftw!), I noticed faster recovery. Could have been a placebo at the time but I def. noticed less soreness.

This would actually be a great cutting whey due to one scoop being only 93 calories with 20 grams of protein per scoop. There is added carnitine and several other goodies, but too little per scoop to make a difference. Less than one gram of sugar per scoop is great as well!

Value:6/10
I get that most of us here hate GNC for their prices. Well I am here to say that I do too! I cant believe that they thought they could get away with this. This is not as bad as p6 from Cellucor's price, but holy christwagons is this an expensive protein.

It can be bought at a great price though. Just buy it on GC week. If it is BOGO you get the first one at 20% off and the second one at 70% off. That's like buying one at full price but the second one being at 90% off. That would raise the value to an 8/10, but at $76.99 for a tub right now(at least at my GNC), you are fine going to ON GS Whey.

On a side note, there are 51 servings per container. One scoop has 20 grams of protein which is an average amount for many powders. I would never go by the 60 grams of protein per serving they recommend. I wish they would change the name in all honesty.

Overall:6.5/10
This is a great protein in the end. I buy it from time to time when I extra money to spend on supplements. I recommend at least giving this product a go every once in a while because it does taste good, and is very high quality. The value makes it too hard to make this a staple, but there is no reason why this can't be thrown in your stack every once in a while.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Rapid Recovery
  • Low Calorie
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It
  • Try To Get It At Gnc When Its On Sale Buy One Get One 50% Off!
  • Overrated
bhurd
  April 23, 2012

I Love this protein! First things first, the price is unbelievably to high for this, but it does work. I mean after all, all the protein by GNC is made by Optimum Nutrion.

Taste 9/10: Have tried cookies and cream, chocolate, and vanilla. I think it actually taste better that 100% Gold Standard to be honest.

Mixability 10/10: Mixes just fine with a spoon and a glass.

Effectiveness 9/10: It says to use 3 scoops for 60g protein. I never do that anymore, I used 2 for 40g. Plus it makes it last a little bit longer. I Did try the three scoops and it didn't make a difference in my strength gains. I did notice I put on mass fairly quickly and strength gains did go up.

I love the fact that it has 7.7g Leucine in it along with ~4g of Glutamine. (Per serving)

7g carbs, 280cal 1g fat.

Have to admit if this wasn't so expensive, this would be my go to protein.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Strength Gains
  • Helps Tone
  • Tastes Great
  • Serving Size Too Much
  • Very Pricy
YaZoContra
  April 12, 2012

I dont know if i have much to add to all the reviews already written on the wheybolic, but anyways,ill tell u how it went for me.

well taste was amazing at first, i only tried the strawberry, i'd throw in the 2 scoops with 9 oz of skimmed milk and just enjoy it. I'd give it a 10 outa 10 except that after three weeks, for some reason the smell and taste of the shake itself would make me sick, and i would just jug it as quickly as possible. so a 9/10 would be fair enough.

Mixability is a 9 as it mixed great but it just formed that thin cloudy white layer that formed at the top after stirring. Had a wierd taste to it.

Value mmmmm thats a problem coz i bought it here in kuwait for an equivalent of 58 us dollars with the gold premium card discount, making it 2.3 dollars per 2 scoops (like everyone said, ur body wont utilize more than 2 scoops after a workout) which is not cheap, AT ALL...so for me value is a 7...and thats just the norm for GNC here in the middle east, and probably in the US too...they are just pricey

Effectiveness: What i really noticed was my fast recovery and how less sore i felt after my 2 hour workouts, thanks to the leucine. The increase in strength was clear as i steadily increased my weights through the 6 week period i was using wheybolic. My weight lifting workouts used to last for an hour and a half and i'd be dying at the end, but using this, i just added 6 more sets to my routines and i still had more energy at the end. To be honest, i ate madly during that period and that definitely helped. I couldnt say i got leaner as my diet wasnt that good, as i just ate what i want so i'd say i just got BULKIER.But for those who will keep a good diet, the carnitine will definitely get u lean if combined with a good routine, along with the arganine helping maintaining that muscle mass.

Overall, It's a solid 8, and definitely worth trying.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Strength Increase
  • Muscle Size Increase
  • Amazing Recovery
  • Tastes Great
  • A Little Pricy But Worth It

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.