AMP Amplified Muscle Igniter 4X

By GNC
AMP Amplified Muscle Igniter 4X GNC
6.5/10
(Weighted average based on 37 Reviews)

Ranks #73 of 82 (better than 11%)
in Weight Loss > Thermogenics
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

dmq777

AMP Muscle Igniter 4X did not produce good results

After being conned into buying this piece of nonsense by a funny looking GNC guy (I knew I shouldn't have trusted him) over a year ago, I also managed to accidentally throw out the receipt along with my graded mid-term papers. Hence I was stuck with this product, it's been in my cabinet and I have been slowly chipping away at it since March 2011.

-------Background-------
At the time I purchased this, I was relatively new to the world of supplements and hadn't been introduced to the SR fam yet. The powder form of this product was recommended and sold to me as a pre-workout supplement even though it was, legitimately, a thermogenic.

-------Ingredients: 9/10 -------
On paper the ingredients look impressive and incredibly comprehensive because there are over 22 individual ingredients contained in Muscle Igniter 4X. I will not go over every single one of them here, but some of the ones that stand out and that I look for in a stimulant based supplement are: caffeine-400mg per scoop, B-vitamins,-2mg, yohimbe-prop blend, beta-alanine-50mg and l-cartinine-25mg. Other ingredients include white willow bark and grape seed extract. Considering that GNC managed to cram almost everything except the kitchen sink into this tub of powder, one would think that this would be a very effective supplement.

-------Dosing: 6/10 -------
The instructions on the tub are to "take one scoop 30 mins prior to exercise, or on non training days one scoop in the morning after waking up." I personally never enjoyed a full dose either before training or after waking up because the 400mg of caffeine is, IMO, borderline toxic and always caused jitters, anxiety and dehydration.

-------Taste 2/10 -------
This product easily heads the list of "worst tasting supplements". One scoop mixed in a medium sized glass of water would produce an evil red liquid that severely irritated my throat when I drank it. This burning sensation would be so bad that it makes it difficult to talk few seconds after drinking it. To this day, I'm still not sure what ingredient exactly produced such a sensation. I have tried mixed more water with the scoop to dilute it, but that just leaves me with more of the evil liquid to conquer. Bottom line: I would rather drink vodka!

-------Effectiveness as a PWO: 3/10 -------
I experienced poor results when I took this and hit the weights; the main problem was that this product gave me none of the things that I would expect from a good PWO such as sharp mental focus, ambitious drive, tunnel vision or improved strength and endurance. Instead, all I got from taking this was a jittery, anxious and unfocused energy that actually distracted me from having good workouts. The full scoop with 400mg of caffeine not only caused an unwanted restless instead of a smooth clean energy, but also and dehydrated me and seemed weaken muscle strength and endurance. I did not feel the endurance effects of the beta-alanine at all and the pumps were non-existent. I did not have much luck with lower dosages as well, just more or less of the same feeling with the other ingredients under dosed. I have honestly gotten better result just popping a 200mg caffeine pill and hitting the weights.

-------Effectiveness as a thermogenic: 5/10 -------
I've taken many thermogenics; some of my favorites include OEP, Yohimbine hcl and Cellucor's Super HD. What I particularly enjoyed about these was that they gave me an euphoric, Zen-like feeling along with a heightened awareness. I did not experience any of these positive effects with AMP Muscle Igniter; the experience was limited jitters, anxiety and restlessness that resulted in me pacing up and down my home and workplace. One area where this product did do well in was appetite suppression, but it was a type of uncomfortable appetite suppression where I felt borderline sick and queasy in the stomach. In the end, I don't care how much fat this can burn, because non of the good feelings that I experience after taking a thermogenic comes along with it!

-------Value: 7/10
I bought this for around $35 dollars, and each tub has 45 full scoops, so this brings the value to under a dollar per serving. This is actually, objectively speaking great value, however, I still cannot score this product very high here because it is IMO not a great product.

-------Overall: 5/10
AMP Muscle Igniter 4X did not produce good results for me in either the pre-workout or thermogenic departments and was a huge disappointment. Half a scoop as replacement for morning coffee, this could perhaps earn a thumbs sideways, but as a pre-workout or thermogenic, it definitely deserves a thumbs down! As far as I know, as of May 2012 GNC no longer sells this product in the powder form and have instead replaced it with the pills. However, I would still advise the SR fam to stay clear of this product.

-777

Pros:
Cons:
  • Powder Form No Longer Available; Great Value For Amount Of Caffeine You Get
  • Great Soft Drink For Sadists
  • Head Of The List Of Worst Tasting Supplements
  • Not Effective As A Pwo Or Thermogenic
  • Dehydration From 400mg Of Caffeine
  • Anxiety And Restlessness

Manimal

Posted May 9, 2012
Very well written review. This is not one of my favorites either but for some of the straight up stim-junkies that come to my store, they seem to love it.

And the powder form was the new addition to the product. Both are still being made to my knowledge.

Manimal

Posted May 9, 2012
Also, You are aloud to return only *GNC* products without a receipt. However, you will get the credit for the lowest sale prices within the last 90 days so you may lose a couple bucks but it is better than nothing after having a bad experience with a product.

dmq777

Posted May 9, 2012
Ah, I see. Thanks Manimal. If I ever lose the receipt again and need to return a GNC product, I'll definitely take advantage of this. GNC actually has a pretty generous return policy, more than most other companies.

The only good thing was the price which wasnt that bad

Ok so with this product I took about two monthes ago and decided to write a review about everthing I have taken so far. This product was just terrible for me yeah the taste was awful but who cares about the taste. My first day on it was good. I got a lot of pumps, energy, and I felt like I had a great workout.

But, the more I used it the worse I felt. It started giving me stomach problems and I was in the bathroom constantly about 3-5 times a day. I took it a few more times after to see if it still contined to do that to and it did so I stopped taking it. It also made me pass in and out eventhough I was drinking a gallon of water a day. Also I dont know if this had anything to do with it but I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I feel like it was from this because right after i stopped taking it I could sleep again, better then I had been while being on this. Personally this is the worse product I have ever taken and will not take anythign again of the brand AMP.

The only good thing was the price which wasnt that bad other than that bad product. Also I am not a big guy in anyway but I have been using products for the whole 2 and a half years I been working out. Of course with month breaks in between each suppliments but overall this product was just downhill for me.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Engergy
  • Focus
  • As Expected
  • Crash

In conclusion,its a good product and worth the money

this product has a very positive effect on my workouts.I am a collegiate wrestler who puts in 6 workout sessions a day. and a good igniter is needed to push you through the harder workouts.. i take this exactly 30 minutes before my workout..And PLEASE eat a substantial meal before intaking this product..it will stop the cramps that most of you complain of. as far as thermogenics go.it does its job... it burns fat, increses endurance,concentration and strenght.ALOT.
If you take the product properly along with a clean diet it should yeild substancial results. it increased my intensity in all of my workouts. in particuar , my power clean was much cleaner. and wrestling was much more focused.
but be aware that every person is affected differently. i can say in a negative light that it made my heart race excessively at first.but,i learned how to power through.
In conclusion,its a good product and worth the money. try it and experience it for yourselves.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Less Sore
  • Work Out Harder
  • Engergy
  • Work Out Longer
  • More Endurance
  • Focus
  • Heat Shock Proteins Increase Hypertrophy

Posted March 12, 2012
    did you mean 6 workouts a week?

Clipper83

Posted March 12, 2012
    6 workout sessions a day !? I hope weeks !

i can say the effect was great

Hey guys...been using this product for almost 3 months and i can say the effect was great.since i work in medical field, im more into safety of my systems so, decided to try this product since it was naturally made.i consider myself as coffee addict that is why i can manage some of my stomach discomfort..since im not a body builder, i just want to trim down my fats and make my muscles more lean for better looks.i dropped by to GNC store and asked for advice regarding fat burners and this product was introduced to me.i take 2 tabs in the morning with gatorade to reduce the ginger taste of the pill.then i do cardio exercise,indoor bike, for 1 hour, MWF..TTH i lift dumbell weights..the effect was great because i lose 5lbs in a week.of course it was accompanied by strict diet.so my advice,
    -take 2-3 tabs with gatorade as directed.avoid any citrus proucts just to divert you taste buds.water +candy will do
    -exercise
    -any stomach discomfort,take candies or gatorade(it aids in your gastric juices for proper digestion)
    -after workout,eat on time, a little amount of carbo diet
    -if you are planning to sleep after taking this tabs, its a big No No..you'll feel like your riding in a horse while lying down because your heart keeps on pumping..caffeine effect.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Work Out Harder
    • Engergy
    • Work Out Longer
    • More Endurance
    • Focus

I experienced almost no noticeable energy boost

I decided to try this because it was on sale for about the same price as my old preworkout and I used it 3 times with very disappointing results. I got it in the fruit punch flavor and found it to be less than enjoyable but not the worst taste ever. On all 3 occasions I experienced almost no noticeable energy boost compared to what I'm used to from other preworkout supplements. Lastly and most important to me was immediate extreme heartburn lasting for several hours. I will be returning this and going back to my previous supplement.

• Heartburn

Posted April 3, 2011
      Yeah, I never buy any GNC products. I lost faith in their brands. I like going into the store, and listening to their sales pitches on their products, but besides that, GNC is an EPIC fail... I'd say stick with your preworkout bro and stick with what you know until you see something better. Never hurts to try and experiment with supplements though, glad you realized that GNC brand was a no-go.

CDEC

This product has really helped me with strength gains and burning fat at the same time. I took one pill and a scoop of jack3d pre workout and they really complimented eachother. On running days I sweat like crazy. It did not give me energy but more endurance and less fatigue. I recommend it for the strength gains though, not the burning of calories/fat. I bought it for 30 dollars on gold card day at GNC so it was pretty expensive.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Work Out Harder
      • Work Out Longer
      • More Endurance

IamAlex

I didn't really get the pump that I've gotten from other supplements

I got this in the AMP stack that GNC sells for $120. I used this along with NO Maxertion and they were the first pre workout supplements I've taken. I quickly built a tolerance to them but the first few times I took them I was bouncing off the walls. I would definitely say it was bit too much caffeine. I didn't really get the pump that I've gotten from other supplements I've taken since then. I did like the fact that I sweated like I was in a sauna when I took it. I don't know if other people like to but when I workout I like to work up a good sweat and this really made me sweat. It gave me a caffeine buzz but other than that I wasn't impressed. I would advise that you look elsewhere if you're looking for the cliche usuals, (pump, focus, strength) because you can get them from other supps cheaper.

Pros:
        Cons:
        • Engergy
        • Crash
        • Caffeine Sensitivity

Gkeezy

Posted July 20, 2010
        I tried this but I did not feel much energy from it.. it wast just blah to me.. waste of money honestly

It gives you a good amount of energy and i tend to work out longer and harder when using it. Im on my second bottle of it and it seems to be giving me good effect. Expect that it will make you heart race tho

Pros:
        Cons:
        • Work Out Harder
        • Engergy
        • Work Out Longer
        • Heart Races

Posted April 30, 2010
        I agree with u today is my second day taking it and it makes me do 3 time what i used to and that because i only took one pill my first day,today i took two and im about to go and see how i do but its defenitely good for people want to loose weight u sweat like crazy and u burn three times the calories (I AM PLEASED WITH IT AS OF RIGHT NOW. ;)

matt77h

It is a decent supplement

I went through 4 bottles of this product and only the past month quit taking it. I ended up buying a few of the key ingredients seperatly instead. It is a decent supplement. It boosted my metabolism and gave me good energy. The list of ingredients is pretty good as well. Great for even cutting I bet. I only took 2 of the 3 pills recommended and still had good results. My body did not become accustomed to it and 2 pills were always enough. The price isn't bad when looking at the ingredients. It lasted longer since I only took the 2pills too. I'm sure though if you broke down the ingredients and bought them separately you could get more but would pay a little bit more money. You would end up taking a handful of pills also.

Pros:
        Cons:
        • Work Out Harder
        • Engergy
        • Focas
        • Work Out Longer
        • More Endurance

My results were and incredible amount of SWEAT

I've used this a handful of times to help cut weight before fights. My results were and incredible amount of SWEAT!! I'm not sure what kind of "caloric Burn" happened...but what I can tell is that on a "normal" 4 mile run I sweat, of course, any and everyone will. BUT, with this product I literally had to take a 'removed t-shirt sleeve' if you can picture that?? lol. And wear it as a headband to prevent the sweat from rolling into my eyes. I love the added bonus of water weight I shave while taking this. Does it last hours and hours? No. But is it great for assisting me in getting a solid water weight cut when needed? YUP.
          I'm only about half-way through the bottle because I don't always need it. It will not last long either. Maybe 30-40 minutes? But that's as long as a 4 mile run takes. So its adequate. Sorry I can't be anymore help and tell people if it will help you "lose weight" permanently, but in quick instances of water weight shaving...2 thumbs up.

Pros:
          Cons:
          • Engergy
          • Work Out Longer
          • More Endurance

Posted March 26, 2010
            I am a wrestler and I don't really sweat a lot when I work out. This last season I was cutting anywhere from 6-20pounds 3-2 times per week. I had a difficult time making weight for 135 and half way through the season I started to take OxyElite Pro to help me out. It was super good but I'm wondering if this supplement is better than that for creating a incredible thermogenic effect so that It would be easier for me to cut weight if i decided to next season?