Topic: Taking BCAA's before bed?  (Read 25073 times)

Offline venom434

• Senior Members
Taking BCAA's before bed?
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
most people use them intra-workout like myself, or sometimes even pre/post workout. but would it be beneficial to take BCAA's before bed? i know alot of people take Casein before bed, how would taking a BCAA drink pre-bed compare in over-night recovery?

Offline adam777

• Locker Roommates
Re: Taking BCAA's before bed?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
  Your body absorbs a lot of BCAAs in protein synthesis(post workout) which is the most ideal time, but It definitely couldn't hurt taking BCAAs before bed.  I take ON's casein protein before I go to bed which has a decent amount of BCAAs and I feel great in the morning.  I used to just take Pro complex which has more BCAAs after my workout and recovery was good, but it seems that with the addition of ON's casein and the extra BCAAs I feel even better. 
Your only as big as your last set.  Stop talking about the days that you could push up weight.  Live in the now and never stop achieving - My views on lifting and getting tired of hearing people talk about the past and how much they used to be able to put up.

Offline kevO

• Expert Reviewer/Zombie Deadlifting Crew Founder
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
I take a serving of BCAALyn almost every night and it definately aides in my recovery.  Nothing miraculous, but very noticeable
Failure is NEVER an Option.

Patience and Hard Work produces results

Offline Rebel29073

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »
During sleep the BCAA are catabolized into energy sources.  You can supplement the BCAA at bedtime to provide an outside source of protein, rather than your own tissues.  Supplementing the BCAA at bedtime is a method to possibly support the body’s ability to minimize protein breakdown.  An added benefit, the body needs to burn fat to provide energy to convert the BCAA into the chemical energy ATP.  Thus supplementing the BCAA at bedtime can help burn fat as well as spare protein tissue.

It is advised at bedtime, if you supplement the BCAA, eat a little cottage cheese with a small amount of fruit.  The fruit will help provide energy for the catabolism of the supplemental BCAA.  The cottage cheese will work in synergy with the BCAA, making the two more effective at minimizing protein breakdown.  If you work out lifting weights, taking BCAA at bedtime is a method to spare protein loss, thus helping you preserve the muscle you are gaining from your workouts.  
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

Offline Meuth

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
I have experience with this. Before I started using BCAA powder, I used tablets, yes the big horse pills. I always took them right before bed time to work on soreness. It worked very well. In fact, I would always add weight when I did that too. 

It was my understanding that protein built new muscle and aminos repaired muscle. It just made sense to me to dose it during your repair time (sleep). I also thought tablets would be the way to go since they would digest slower than powder or caps. 

It worked for me so best of luck if you try it! 
On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero.

Go Spotless!  Press it or wear it!

Why do you have scabs on your shins? Because of the mother-fooing deadlift!

50 Shades of GAINZ!

Offline BigRob

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
Nice posts here, all rep´d  :)
Will add bcaa´s before bed TODAY ;D
Go through the pain, in the gym and in your life!

Offline bigworm89

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
whenever i was cutting i would keep a dose of Bcaas on my night stand beside my bed. I always wake up during the night, so when i did i would take them then.
Why do all Chinese people look alike?

Offline CamelE

• Intermittent Faster
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »
Honestly, BCAAs alone I think would be pointless. Alone they cannot trigger protein synthesis like Whey protein can, but they can prevent muscle breakdown. However, your body will use liver glycogen up first (unless you participate in anaerobic activity) which I would say takes at least a good 10 hours. So your body will not turn to break down muscle until after it uses liver glycogen, therefore I think it's pointless in terms of muscle sparing to use them.

From a recovery standpoint, I guess it couldn't hurt. But if you're going to use BCAAs, I would use them with something like a whey/casein/cottage cheese.
F***arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied.

Offline venom434

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
thanks for all the info. +Rep to all.

i'm going to try taking it before bed for a little and see how it goes..