Topic: Food stamps and supplements ?  (Read 17254 times)

Offline joker117

• Banned Doods
Food stamps and supplements ?
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:26 AM »
I am on food stamps ( thank god ..well my family is so I still get screwed diet wise lol)

-I cannot find  anything definitive on google/yahoo answers   or even Snaps official website  addressing exactly what I want to ask.

- I want to know if there are any meal replacement foods , those drinks like boost , ensure , slimfast  any thing like that  or  of course any supplements  we talk about here ( duh? lol)  like whey protein ..   that  are eligible to be bought with snap/ebt/foodstamps (about the same idea)

- I have read no vitamins are covered .. I know this means omega 3 and so on  but  that is where I am stuck ..ok vitamins I get  but creatine  , protein  and BCAAS  test boosters lol and  slimfast/ensure type drinks/meal replacements   aren't  excatly what I or we all may call vitamins  ..

- I realize it could mean vitamins and supplements  but I would love to hear from some1 on here if they have heard/know of or ever used stamps to buy any  product  I don't care if I can only buy a specific brand  I'll live lol

- thanks  and  if it helps I live in USA Connecticut  milford .. and it sucks here lol

Offline IamAlex

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
Re: Food stamps and supplements ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:11 AM »
Dude I'm gonna say that supplements wouldn't be covered under food stamps. If they won't let you buy vitamins which have essential nutrients then they sure as heck won't let you buy creatine. The FDA doesn't even give creatine or any other supplement like that a recommended daily value. And I'm pretty sure whey protein wouldnt be either. I think the USDA and FDA say that the average DV of protein is around 50-60 grams. Which we all know is a joke. Heh, I get that in one sitting on occasion. Sorry bro, but I'd say getting supplements with your food stamps is a dead end street :-[

Offline joker117

• Banned Doods
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »
thanks  I was aiming more towards  slim fast , ensure  or   whey protein  I get why they wouldn't  allow me to buy certain 1s  but honestly  it is b/s

the stuff you can't buy with food stamps  is vitamins , tooth paste , beauty products including shampoo I think !  lol.. it is like they want the poor to be dirty and unhealthy and out of shape

they must be afraid we'll all use the  supplements eat healthy  get in great shape  and do the ruff riders ( dmxs gang)  work out and  become a super army  of poor ppl who rebell against the rich and chop their heads off like this was france lol

... honestly  in your opinion meal replacements and whey protein are sold at stores  shouldn't they at least fall in ..same with vitamins..

it is not like we choose to be poor  life doesnt always work out  my dad got fired after 30 years  and my moms company shut down outa no where .. I just finished my ged and suffer with insomnia ..its  b/s how  the gov treats ppl who need help

sorry a little angry haha  thanks for the answer tho man   

Offline IamAlex

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
No problem man. I'm sure that in time, things will pan out for you and your family. Until then hang tight and make the most of what you have. In reality we don't even need half the stuff we use (ie. creatine, protein powder, BCAA's.) You can in fact get what you need from a healthy diet. Eat healthy and train hard...

Offline joker117

• Banned Doods
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
yah  but I use whey protein as food on desperate days ..not even to diet lol 

thanks for the thoughts 2   

Offline deumcole

• Expert Reviewer Zombie Deadlifter 3rd Degree Black Belt (TKD, HKD)
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:27 AM »
I think it depends on where you live. Out here in California, the Wellfare system is outta wack big time. People on Wellfare are sometimes living better lives than those who aren't...but thas another topic altogether.

It really depends I think. I ve seen EBT cards used at high end hotels in places like Vegas & Hawaii. In fact (correct me if I'm wrong) a recent study/survey showed 70% of EBT transactions/withdrawls took place on curises & high end vacation spots. Sooooo...it depends on how well you can work the system. If yer on gov't aid, I'd say just keep it to protein & multi-vitamins. Hell if the gov't won't stop momos using EBT cards on expensive vacations, why would they notice you spending it on supps ;) ?
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

"You are not a fragile ornament ready to collapse into an exhausted mass of goo simply because you squatted more than once in a 7-day week."

Offline Blitz

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
you can buy slim fast with food stamps,i believe certain states might have different criterias since they food stamps are paid through the state.you should be able to buy slim fast and ensure,i know people who buy red bulls and energy drinks with them.check this out,here in california Subway takes food stamps,participating locations.you just have to look around and get info.i remember talking to a guy and he said he bought a 5lb bag of EAS whey protein with food stamps,i know it sounds crazy,but its true.if anything have a friend or someone buy what you are looking for and pay them back in food stamps.
Fear is temporary,Regret is forever

Offline joker117

• Banned Doods
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »
nice maybe ill grab them then  i need something healthy in this house   subway would be awsome    maybe its just CT that sucks lol

that EAS was the protein I figured I'd get they have it at target and assumed stop and shop ..

Offline freek75

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »
its crazy , they let my sister get redbull, pepsi, chips, icecream,almost anything with her ohio card, but she tried to pick up protien for me , cuase she needed some cash , and she couldnt get it
no signature required

Offline joker117

• Banned Doods
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
see thats what I mean  they'll let us poison ourselves with cr@p food.. cant even buy store cooked food  , tooth paste , toilet paper! ..wtf lol

multi vitamins..

ridiculous

Offline kip00

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »
I have had success purchasing protein with my food stamps... I stay in Georgia and I have been able to purchase whey protein by the company Six Star at Wal-mart and at Kroger... I have also been able to purchase the Kroger brand of protein but I like the Six Star better..

I haven't been successful with any vitamins yet..

I think you should be able to purchase any Dietary supplement some of those vitamins are labeled as dietary supplement.. some are labeled vitamin supplement.. The six star is also a dietary supplement..

Offline sassybratt81

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
Well here in Florida you can get RedBull but not supplements. I asked a Food Stamp caseworker and she said it is because the FDA gives RedBull a nutritional value content and supplements don't have that so that is why they are not an approved item.