Author Topic: Eating grapes before bed?  (Read 10255 times)

shomz2

• Novice
  • Forum Rep: +0/-0
Eating grapes before bed?
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Hey garlick im crazy about grapes, the green ones i snack on them alot especailly at night, is their anything of concern? i mean are they fattening?

What are they, carbs?, fat?

garlick

• VP of S.T.O.R.M.
  • Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +909/-49
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
I have a pretty good rule of thumb, if it was grown out of the ground, and you're eating it without altering it's state, it's good for you.

So eat up the grapes. They contain many different vitamins and minerals that are good for you.

alxcovers

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +5/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
They're simple carbohydrates, like that found in juice or any sugary product, but definitely more healthy than  other desserts you would maybe consume at night after you're dinner.

Raptorbh12

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +637/-50
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
I personally eat alot worse things at night than grapes but ideally you would want to avoid excessive carbs late at night because your glycogen stores are most likely already full from dinner and those extra calories are going to have nowhere to go except to be converted into fat. Now this would be a very miniscule amount of fat say like 200 calories, or .05 lb of body fat. Look into cottage cheese or even string cheese or a glass of milk instead. This promotes a more anabolic enviroment especially after dinner.
Semper Fidelis

garlick

• VP of S.T.O.R.M.
  • Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +909/-49
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
alx & raptor, I'm sure glad I don't have you guys setting up my diets, you guys are nuts. Eating grapes, a natural sugar, is WAY different than eating a processed sugar.

Natural products, especially grapes, which contain large amounts of anti-oxidants are great for after dinner, even with their high sugar contents.

The sugars are processed differently, and the calorie per servings are so miniscule, you will not get fat from eating grapes. Not even a little bit.

Plus natural fruit sources that are not juice are extremely healthy for you, especially right before bed, as during cell generation anti oxidants are essential for cell fortification and help your body to expel toxins that need to be flushed from the system. So the benefits greatly outway any risk of fat build up from sugar contents.

A serving size of grapes contains 15 G of natural sugar, your insulin levels are barely effected by that kind of intake. Sometimes diet rules can be taken to the extreme, and in this case, saying you shouldn't eat grapes before bed because of glycogen storage is being way to anal if you ask me.