Author Topic: pain right under tip of collar bone  (Read 3413 times)

xBEASTICANSx

• Novice
  • Forum Rep: +8/-4
pain right under tip of collar bone
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
Lately i have been feeling a small pain thats below the end of my collar bone. It doesnt hurt much during the day but whenever i do some pressing exercises, pullups, and cable pulldowns the pain doubles. I dont know how i hurt it. Anyone have the same pain or knows what it is that is hurting? I would like to speed my recovery up as quick as possible so i can start lifting again.

markp

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +147/-56
Re: pain right under tip of collar bone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »
I think I get the same pain whenever I do dips. Its like a ton of pressure just below my collarbone but doesn't last much longer after my set. I just push through it because its only a few minutes of pain once a week. Its definitely not the best way of dealing with it, but I figure eventually the pain will lighten. It sounds like you have it worse and/or different from me though so I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say
U mirin' bro?

ya u mirin'

PR's:
squat: 350x1
deadlift: 400x3
bench: 245x1

Bulking tips for teens:
http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=15737.0

xBEASTICANSx

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
To me it feels like the anterior deltoid or top of pec 

isaacn15

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +71/-16
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:14:03 PM »
Which end? Near the armpit or the middle of the chest?

If its at the shoulder end, it could be a number of things having to do with the AC joint, rotator cuff, etc.  If its in the middle of your chest, under the bone it could be something in the soft tissue, like a tear in the muscle, you could have just strained the tissues, or i believe there is a tendon there (couldnt find affirmation) that could be hurt.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:16:19 PM by isaacn15 »

markp

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +147/-56
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
To me it feels like the anterior deltoid or top of pec 

Do you do warm up sets and stretch before working out?
U mirin' bro?

ya u mirin'

PR's:
squat: 350x1
deadlift: 400x3
bench: 245x1

Bulking tips for teens:
http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=15737.0

soundsoffire

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +199/-42
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »
i used to get it from dips, and front raises, i think its dye to your tendans not being strong enough for the weight yet which puts unneccesary stress on the joint. I'm not really sure how to fix it except maybe roll your shoulders gently prior and after the movement. The pain kind of just went awy with me after a period of time.
take it if its easy, and if its easy take it home....

xBEASTICANSx

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 05:17:42 AM »
 I warm up pretty thoroughly before i workout.... the pain is in my right shoulder like an inch below where the clavicle connects to the shoulder its a mild pain until i start lifting and it doesnt feel like anything is out of place....

RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +1647/-22
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:35:25 AM »
That's a bad spot to have pain, this is your acromioclavicular joint, where your clavicle, (collarbone), meets the acromion process from your scapula, (shoulder blade).  If this joint comes apart it is a shoulder separation, and it is a very difficult injury to recover from.  Be very careful with this injury, don't do anything to make it worse, or you'll be out of action for a long time.

You will have to do most of your upper body exercises with very light weights for several months.  Don't do any exercises that cause any pain.

A really good chiropractor can make certain that the joint is in it's proper alignment.

I've suffered through this many years ago, and it can be a very long process.  But with light weights and higher reps, you will keep most of your muscle mass.

Work the muscles of your rotator cuff group thoroughly and carefully, this will help.

Hopefully if you take care of the problem right now, your recovery can come soon.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

isaacn15

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +71/-16
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »
That's a bad spot to have pain, this is your acromioclavicular joint, where your clavicle, (collarbone), meets the acromion process from your scapula, (shoulder blade).  If this joint comes apart it is a shoulder separation, and it is a very difficult injury to recover from.  Be very careful with this injury, don't do anything to make it worse, or you'll be out of action for a long time.

You will have to do most of your upper body exercises with very light weights for several months.  Don't do any exercises that cause any pain.

A really good chiropractor can make certain that the joint is in it's proper alignment.

I've suffered through this many years ago, and it can be a very long process.  But with light weights and higher reps, you will keep most of your muscle mass.

Work the muscles of your rotator cuff group thoroughly and carefully, this will help.

Hopefully if you take care of the problem right now, your recovery can come soon.
If he does have an AC Joint separation/sprain he'd need to see a doctor to make sure the joint is still intact. If it is and its just a sprain, then he needs to stop with the weights, stop using it for about 2-3 weeks and then regain movement and fluidity in the shoulder. after that he should restart with the weights but aiming for perfect form and less weight.    That is, if its a Type 1-2.

Anything worse, where the joint is physically separated would probably take surgery. Luckily he doesnt feel pain downward from the clavicle which means its nothing more than a type II.

have you fallen on your shoulder recently? I dont know if you watch any football, but two prominent Quarterbacks have been injured from the same thing, albeit worse, from simply falling on their shoulder.  Its a common injury and any type of doctor should be able to help you out. A chiropractor or a physical therapist should be able to show you some shoulder exercises to help heal it.