Topic: how many times a week do you squat and deadlift?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline bfred5

• Senior Members
how many times a week do you squat and deadlift?
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »
a quick question for anybody but how many times a week do you squat and deadlift?

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
Re: squating and deadlifts
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »
squat once a week, deadlift once a week
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Injury update: not looking good.

Offline ExoChris

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »
My workout is squat 3 times a week, and deadlift either once or twice depending on the A-B-A schedule. Ex: Deadlift on B days, Mon = A, Wed = B, Fri = A, Mon = B, Wed = A, Fri =  B etc.

Offline kerner530

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »
squat once a week, deadlift once a week

Ditto
The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be.

Offline markp

• Locker Roommates
Re: how many times a week do you squat and deadlift?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Once a week for each, unless i wanna get a head start on next week's workouts 8)

Offline AbsoluteZ3R0

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
I do each once a week, as far away from each other as possible so that neither exercise interferes with the other. So for example, if I squat on monday, I won't deadlift until either thursday or friday so that the soreness from one doesn't affect/weaken the other

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
squats 2x a week and deads once, sometimes twice, but usually just once
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline soundsoffire

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
i'll squat once, and some weeks i will deadlift on my leg and back days, others I might not do deadlifts at all, deadlifts are a great exercise however i feel if you do them to regulary they can stress your body out too much ( mainly on low calorie diets ) i usualy switch between deadlifts and bent over rows on my back days
take it if its easy, and if its easy take it home....

Offline Meuth

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:04:23 AM »
I know a very good trainer who has an awesome deadlift.  He tells people to squat every week but only deadlift every other week. 
On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero.

Go Spotless!  Press it or wear it!

Why do you have scabs on your shins? Because of the mother-fooing deadlift!

50 Shades of GAINZ!

Offline estreeter34

• Novice
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
#x a week, M, W, F.  I do a total body workout those days with major lifts: Squat, dead, bench, rows, + some other work in areas i feel I need it.  I keep sets to 4-5 per exercise though.  THis is for about an 8 week plan to gain some mass and lose a little fat.  Very intense workouts that leave you exhausted.

Offline markp

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
#x a week, M, W, F.  I do a total body workout those days with major lifts: Squat, dead, bench, rows, + some other work in areas i feel I need it.  I keep sets to 4-5 per exercise though.  THis is for about an 8 week plan to gain some mass and lose a little fat.  Very intense workouts that leave you exhausted.
this sounds like some serious over-training bro, it can take days for major muscle groups to recover fully, and you want your legs chest and back to be fully recovered before training them, especially on a bulk

Offline estreeter34

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
this sounds like some serious over-training bro, it can take days for major muscle groups to recover fully, and you want your legs chest and back to be fully recovered before training them, especially on a bulk
For some it might be overtraining, but it works great for me.  When I do splits I see very little gain.  I have always been quick to recover.

Offline soundsoffire

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:47:43 PM »
i was recomended by a bodybuilder to do that kind of routine too hey,, doing it every second day

Mon
Wed
Fri
Sat
take it if its easy, and if its easy take it home....

Offline estreeter34

• Novice
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 06:01:55 AM »
I believe the key is "listening" to your body.  When I am training that frequently I don't hit the muscles with a huge amount of exercises and sets, but usually one type of exercise for the major muscles that workout for 4-5 heavy sets(after a warm up or 2).  The next workout I may switch up the exercises done.
An example is Monday if I do Squats 4-5 sets heavy and Deads, I may do hack squats and the sled on Wed.  It really depends how I feel.  Some people don't respond to this frequent training as well and would rather blast body parts so they are sore as he!! the next day.  I do physical labor and a lot of walking as well in my job, so this is generally not an option. 
To get cut I would drop the weights a little and do a few more sets/reps.  THe weight loss is the hardest for me and good old stairmaster does the trick.  It also helps shred my legs and I can do less leg work when I am really pushing it on the cardio.  Just my experiences personally over the past 20+ years.

Offline ExoChris

• Senior Members
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
For some it might be overtraining, but it works great for me.  When I do splits I see very little gain.  I have always been quick to recover.

I'm the exact same way. I've tried almost every kind of workout and split I could fine, but since I started this routine 7 weeks ago, I've seen monstrous gains and very little soreness. I squat before every workout; 2 warm ups then 5 working sets of 5 and then whatever the workout calls for that day. Deadlift says "1x5" which is 2 warm ups and 1 working set, but if you do that twice a week it's just enough where you feel it but not so much that it's over training. I substituted inverted rows for 5x5 bent rows too.

I swear by this routine and will probably do it for another month and see if I stall at all. If I'm still adding weight, then I won't fix what isn't broken.