Topic: Best non-dairy whey replacement powder?  (Read 12000 times)

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
Best non-dairy whey replacement powder?
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
I saw a chiropractor/kinesiologist today who claimed that I am having health-related issues because of dairy consumption and until I go for a re-check in a  few weeks I am to avoid ALL dairy...and that includes whey or casein protein powders (because they're source is milk, which is dairy). 
His suggestions was rice protein or soy.  I am completely devastated from his findings (ON gold standard is my favorite protein) and I just stocked up.  Cutting ALL dairy out of your diet (even in processed foods like breads) is so painstakingly annoying.
But I digress:
I NEED to take something that is not a dairy protein, so I am thinking I will just go with soy or egg?? I will have to use it for the morning shake, post-workout..and maybe not do anything before bed time?

Again, this entire experience is completely life-altering and if I seriously find that my overall health improves after cutting out dairy that'd be great, but I need my protein and I love milk. I don't mind adapting just to continue lifting, just not sure what I should try. Eventually I may be able to work some of the proteins back in that I am currently using, but not for a few weeks at least.

Any suggestions/ideas/favorite brands would be awesomely appreciated!!
I <3 muscles.

Offline kohdii

• Senior Members
Re: Best non-dairy whey replacement powder?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
I NEED to take something that is not a dairy protein, so I am thinking I will just go with soy or egg??

Dairy product is dairy.

I thought eggs were considered dairy?

Anyways, check out Carnivor by Musclemeds. It's a beef protein isolate.
Train like you live in the wild.

http://kohdii.blogspot.com/

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Thats a bummer for sure, but what i would suggest is like you mentioned, look into egg and soy protein. Eat lots of eggs! ha ha i love eggs so i try to encourage others to eat them as well lol. But you could do eggs in the morning, and really anytime (except post workout obviously) i dont know much about egg protein powders/supps as i have never used them, but i do know our good friend ON does make an egg protein powder (there are several out there) And as for soy, there are mixed debates over who should and shouldnt use, but i think given your circumstances, soy might be your best bet for a post workout protein. At least it would be better than nothing post workout right? (i have heard that fasting post workout actually can increase GH production, but im still waiting on the science behind that) And finally, when it comes to milk, there are several alternatives to actual milk milk. You can try almond, soy, hemp, and im sure others. I personally have tried soy and almond, and the soy was give or take, but i enjoy the blue diamond almond milk. Its a regular in my diet these days. Again, sorry to hear your gonna have to tough it out in regards to whey, but good luck and i hope you find this new lifestyle change helps improve your overall health! best of luck!  
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:32:49 PM »
@ kohdii: I don't think egg is dairy from the standpoint that it didn't come from an animal's teat.  I always considered eggs more of a meat, but I guess I could avoid them too.  This sucks, but I will look at the musclemeds stuff, thanks! My main concern is something that's fast absorbing for post workout. As long as I can digest it and it helps as much with recovery I'll be set.

@fmrPRO: Soy is alright. Personally not a fan of almond milk.  I have read about hemp protein somewhere and it nothing else this lifestyle change will be interesting!  I seriously wanted to cry when I realized this meant no mo ON whey for a long time or forever :'( It's not just the protein powders either, I will have to completely change my diet and eating habits, again.  This might really stink for a while, but overall I can see huge benefits from having to do this, and as long as I can keep my PWO and intra BCAAs I don't think that I will feel like my recovery is so dependent on my post-workout shake. 
I <3 muscles.

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »
Eggs are definitely not dairy. Just cause they come from a farm, doesnt make them dairy.
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline kohdii

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
Pick up some soy protein or that beef protein.

Or possibly, just stick with carbs and amino acids post workout for as long as you can pull-off. I honestly doubt you will notice much of a difference.
Train like you live in the wild.

http://kohdii.blogspot.com/

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
Pick up some soy protein or that beef protein.

Or possibly, just stick with carbs and amino acids post workout for as long as you can pull-off. I honestly doubt you will notice much of a difference.

I think I am going to end up trying to be positive about it all and try everything I can.  This forces me to venture out and find the best products available for my needs, which could end up being a really good thing. Taste-wise the beef protein sounds like it would be questionable, but like you said I can see if I can pull it off without any. I have no excuses for a poor diet, because it has to be perfect to see if no dairy actually helps.
I <3 muscles.

Offline Hxcbf2121

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:46 PM »
My girlfriend has Soy Protein because she is very sensative to dairy as well, and there was a few times I have run out of my whey protein and used hers personally I don't like anything but whey however the soy protein she has really wasnt that bad at all so just a suggestion but look into EAS 100% Soy Protein it's not that bad of a switch.
TANK BACON

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:23 AM »
Hey guys thanks ya'll for your help. Rep'd :]
I think I am going to try as many different things as possible and as I finish a supp or try something new I will make sure and review it!
I <3 muscles.

Offline ruabeyo

• Banned Doods
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:33 AM »
Carnivor Powder contains Creatine Mono (IDK if you would want that) the Liquid Shots do not... I would definitely recommend Olympian Labs Beef Protein (check out the reviews) it does everything Carnivor does w/o the Creatine and Universal 100% Beef Aminos...

GL
"There is no charge for awesomeness...or attractiveness"

Offline phoenix

• Senior Members
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
I tried the Carnivor and it did not agree with me taste wise.  You may want to pick some up from a store that has a good return policy just in case you hate it.  Also the amount of dye in the blue raspberry is ridiculous if any gets on you it will stain your skin for like a week.  Try searching vegan proteins and you may find something else that works for you.  Ultimate Nutrition used to make a wheat isolate protein that was pretty cheap, but tasted kinda funky.  There are also pea proteins you can get so there are a ton of options the tough part will be finding something that you like the taste of.

You may also want to find out why dairy is a no no.  If it is just the lactose then some whey proteins would still be ok since they do make them lactose free.  Good luck with the search.

Offline texasmade89

• Senior Members
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 04:56:23 PM »
Brown rice protein is super clean, gives you the opposite feeling that traditional whey would give you. I'm not sure but think it digests slowly so it woudn't be good post-workout. It's real chalky!

There's a company that makes Buckwheat protein..

Soy protein tastes nasty and is the most synthetic form of protein avaliable; Not natural, not recommended.  Like homeboy mentioned above, there is also ongoing debate concerning soy products increasing phytoestrogen.

There is a new non-whey protein out called Humapro "Protein for humans"; that's in capsule form.  Don't know too much about but if I find any info I'll PM you.

Offline BigBoyBison

• Senior Members
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
I use "All the Whey" Isolate protein. Fat and lactose free. Has a good amount of your amino acids in there, as well as BCAA's. Flavors are awesome, currently on Cinnabun ;)

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:43 AM »
Egss are not dairy, but it also is not a fast digesting protein either
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:50:17 AM »
 :P
Aight fellas, soy protein is not very tasty. I bought the gnc brand, just to try it out.  The taste is something I could deal with, but mixing it- even in a blender, does not work very well.  I also got some ON egg protein :) and it's not too bad taste/mixability, but will end up being pretty pricey.
@ruabeyo: I did take a look at that and typically anything more than the amount of creatine mono that jack3d has tends to upset my GI system, so I may look into the other beef protein you mentioned, because the liquid shots are twice the price of other types of proteins.

@phoenix: I don't expect any of these to compare taste-wise to my ON gold:/ Wheat protein is not something I have checked yet!! I also do have to find out which part of the dairy it is I can't have, I don't know if it is both whey and casein proteins, but I will get more testing done and try and isolate it, which would help if I could still have some dairy protein.

@texasmade89: That sounds like a great replacement for my night time casein! Any info you have on why soy is not a great choice and that encapsulated protein would be much appreciated!!
Again, thanks ya'll!
I <3 muscles.