Topic: what does a rotator cuff injury feel like?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline jgn2112

• Posts: 530
  • Reputation: +170
what does a rotator cuff injury feel like?
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
OK...Last friday was bis/tris.  I hadn't been able to get a good bi workout in in awhile so I really tried to crank it up.  I'm always good about form, but I noticed a couple days later that my left shoulder hurt.  Not a muscle pain, but like a sharp pain in the joint.  It wasn't constant...I'd only feel it if I had my arm position a certain way (where I'd feel nothing) and then move it "wrong" (at which point I'd feel it).  Sometimes I feel it like a very light, but specific pain.  Again, it feels like it's right in the ball/socket joint of my left shoulder and when I feel it it's a sharp pain, but not anything more than to be annoying...nothing debilitating.
Is this a rotator cuff injury or something else?  What should I do to get back to good?  Ice and immobilize it?
The common denominator of success, the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful, lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures donít like to do.
-- Albert Grey

Offline Emery

• Posts: 1393
  • Reputation: +624
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 09:25:11 AM »
Sounds very possibly like rotator cuff, could also be some kind of impingement on the nerves as well!
whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right! ~Henry Ford~

Offline power

• Posts: 621
  • Reputation: +153
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
Ice, and anti inflammatories. Rest it for a week. After the week try light millitary presses like
with just the bar. If they feel alright than try some light lateral raises. If that goes well than
increase the weight slowly each workout after that. Remember that the shoulder joint gets pulled
on from many exercises so you will have to lighten up on those as well. Good luck.

Offline jgn2112

• Posts: 530
  • Reputation: +170
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »
I did four sets of pushups till failure before running today (before I wrote the post).  I could feel it, but it didn't hurt at all.  Still feels the same...no worse, no better.
Since I'm focusing on cardio, I was just going to run each day and perform pushups one day, abs the next, and forearm exercises the last...and that would be the extent of my "weight" training.  I think I'll cut out the pushups like you mentioned so I'm just doing stuff that won't mess with my shoulder at all.
I'll take Alleve for awhile with the rest/ice.  Let's hope all goes well.  Thanks man...rep'd.
-- Albert Grey

Offline Emery

• Posts: 1393
  • Reputation: +624
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »

Very good advice right there bro! Repped!

Offline bristol

• Posts: 131
  • Reputation: +132
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
Listen to your shoulders. If a bodybuilder (or a guy that casually lifts) needs to listen to any body part, it is his shoulders. Take a FULL week off, icing your shoulder for minimum 20 minutes a day and taking ibuporofen. Trust me, do not enter a gym for a week. I have a history with shoulder injuries and have beat them every time.

Not only will u get better, but you will come back stronger. If you injured, you would be in a huge amount of pain and basically immobilized. If this is the case, then get to the hospital.