Author Topic: Is it possible that I dislocated my shoulder?  (Read 1682 times)

mjtuf1

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +34/-11
Is it possible that I dislocated my shoulder?
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
Ok I was pushing it real hard today and my left shoulder started biting real bad and made me stop mid-way through my workout. Now I've had shoulder soreness like this before, but today it was real bad, my whole left arm was real numb.. Now My shoulders dont look different from each other, but when feeling around my left shoulder I can feel a bone that seems to be slightly in a different spot than the bone in my right shoulder.. Now I have full 100% range of motion in my left shoulder, the pain isnt severe, just I dunno if im being paranoid but a bone seems to be pushed in a different spot..

Now in my first aid class I learned about a shoulder dislocation and that its a serious injury and is very painful and needs to be treated for shock.. Well I had very very mild simptoms of shock (atleast I thought I did maybe I was being paranoid)... But is it possible that i could of very mildly dislocated my shoulder? Or are shoulder dislocations only a serious injury that comes with loss of motion?

I have full 100% motion with no pain, just a bone feels out of place.

deeja

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +213/-97
Re: Is it possible that I dislocated my shoulder?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
I'm guessing it's just a rotator cuff injury. Those are VERY common for weightlifters. You wouldn't be able to move your arm if your shoulder was dislocated. And it would drop lower than your other shoulder
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Injury update: not looking good.

mjtuf1

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 06:44:59 PM »
How serious of an injury is the common rotator cuff injury? Is a few days rest enough to do heal it or will this require doctors care?

deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »
It depends on the severity of it i guess. I hurt my rotator cuff a while back and was good a couple days later, but last summer i hurt it and needed physiotherapy for a couple weeks as well as plenty of rest and icing it. It can get pretty serious.
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

mjtuf1

• Senior Members
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
My shoulders look even, but when i feel my left shoulder the upper arm bone feels like its out of place. I dunno I have shoulder fatgieu but im not in bad pain.. did you feel like your bone was out of place when you had the rotator cuff injury?

deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:43:53 PM »
No man. If it really hurts I'd get it looked at by a doctor. I dno if that costs money in the states or where ever you are but that's what I would do if I was that worried
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +1647/-22
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:58 AM »
Your shoulder does not have to be fully dislocated, it can be partially dislocated, this is called a subluxation.  If you continue to train with the bone out of place, you will do a great deal of damage to the joint, it has to be put back in place by someone qualified to do it correctly. 

PLEASE DON'T TRY TO DO THIS YOURSELF.  You could do permanent damage.
The head of your humerus, (upper arm bone), has to sit in the joint absolutely right, or it will tear all of the cartilage apart, and you will be left with bone grinding on bone.  You might be crippled for life.

There is a guy who is a regular visitor here at Next Level Formulations, bodybuilder and trainer here in the Denver metro area, he is in his 50's, super nice guy.  Anyway, he dislocated his shoulder about 15 years ago, and never had it properly treated, now he cannot lift his right arm much higher than his chest.  Don't let this be you.

MJ, I remember that you have had bad experiences with chiropractors in the past, and that you may disagree with me on this point, but you really need a good one right now.   

Please believe me, I've been involved in training for over 25 years, and as a high school coach, I had the opportunity to train thousands of people, I would not try to steer you wrong.
Call around and find a chiropractor that is also a lifter, this might take some work, but it is well worth it.

I really do hope that your recover from this completely, because you have taken proper care of the problem right now.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

mjtuf1

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:12 AM »
Thanx for the input man im going to see someone tomorrow and get an x-ray and have this checked out.

bristol

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +21/-22
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
From someone who has dislocated my shoulder multiple times:

What you are describing is NOT a dislocated shoulder. You might have injured your rotator cuff a bit.

If you dislocated it, you have zero range of motion until it gets popped back in and then the pain is serious.