Topic: Best possible post workout meal  (Read 3764 times)

Offline JP

Best possible post workout meal
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:11:28 AM »
Hey guys, what's a good post workout meal? I'm thinking a can of tuna, brown rice, and my whey protein shake. Anything else better or that I should maybe add? Also, what's a good PRE workout meal or snack right before I hit the gym?

Offline matt77h

• Banned Doods
Re: Best possible post workout meal
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:24:49 AM »
Immediately postworkout some guys love eating gummy bears or white bread with jelly. During this anabolic window your looking for an insulin spike/quick carbs to help replenish your muscles and help shuttle protein to them. Personally postworkout I take HydroWhey w/ .5scoop Dextrose & .5scoop Maltodextrin. Thats 30g protein w/ 50g carbs. Your wanting a 2:1 ratio postworkout carbs:protein. The carbs help protein synthesis and this is a crucial time frame to help your body recover/grow. After my shake I wait 45min-1hr then have a meal. My meal typically consists of brown rice, chicken breast, corn, black beans, a lot of peppers, garlic powder/cayenne powder. I have been eating that for months and never really gets old.

You were asking about tuna, whey, and brown rice postworkout. Well whey is good being that it'll take roughly 45minute to absorb and if you use ON Whey it has Hydrosolized peptides in its for faster absorbtion. The tuna is a good source of protein, low carbs, moderate cals, some healthy fats. The brown rice would not be a good choice of carbs postworkout. Yes brown rice is a good complex carb but not want you want postworkout. It will take too long to digest and will not help shuttle the protein through your body. Leave the brown rice for a meal later on.

My suggestions would be- Whey, buy some dextrose, white bread, jelly, gummy bears, any simple carb that isn't too unhealthy for you.
The Chicago BLACKHAWKS are your 2009-10 Central Division, Western Conference & Stanley Cup Champions!

The BLACKHAWKS Snack on Danger & Dine on Death!

How am I the only Motocrosser? Lame-o

Train like Bruce Lee

Neg rep me F@ggot$!

Offline CamelE

• Intermittent Faster
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 04:25:53 AM »
I agree with my man matt here. Right after your workout, you need simple, quick carbs for fast glycogen replenishment and which also aids in pushing the nutrients to your muscles. You also want it low in fat and fiber because you want to digest it fast. This is a time when as said previously, gummy bears, white bread, I've even seen guys eat some Krispy Kreme donuts post-workout for the sugar. In my opinion, I'd go with some a little healthier than donuts and choose a banana.

My post-workout choice is AfterShock, which has the hydrowhey and fast digesting carbs and everything else you need. Usually about an hour after my AfterShock, I eat a meal which is usually a meat and vegetable like salmon with asparagus, grilled chicken with spinach salad, etc.

Your Pre-workout meal depends whether or not you take a pre-workout supp like Jack3d or White Flood. A simple whey shake in water is always a good choice, as is a piece of fruit or berries. If you don't take a pre-workout, you can eat something small about 30 minutes before you lift. If you do take a pre-workout, you wanna eat something about an hour before you take your pre-workout supp, again something small and quick digesting.
F***arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied.

Offline birdman2211

• Senior Members
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:02:52 AM »
My post-workout choice is AfterShock, which has the hydrowhey and fast digesting carbs and everything else you need. Usually about an hour after my AfterShock, I eat a meal which is usually a meat and vegetable like salmon with asparagus, grilled chicken with spinach salad, etc

Ok Camele, its set in stone now we are real life brothers! To a T thats exactly what I do post-workout also.

Offline CamelE

• Intermittent Faster
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 07:25:09 AM »
My post-workout choice is AfterShock, which has the hydrowhey and fast digesting carbs and everything else you need. Usually about an hour after my AfterShock, I eat a meal which is usually a meat and vegetable like salmon with asparagus, grilled chicken with spinach salad, etc

Ok Camele, its set in stone now we are real life brothers! To a T thats exactly what I do post-workout also.

Lol. I'm starting to think you're my real bro, and my actual brother is really the mailman's lol. I'm listening to Hearts on fire off the rocky IV soundtrack before I head to the gym. If you do the same, we're clones  ;D
F***arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied.

Offline birdman2211

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:38:19 AM »
Lol. I'm starting to think you're my real bro, and my actual brother is really the mailman's lol. I'm listening to Hearts on fire off the rocky IV soundtrack before I head to the gym. If you do the same, we're clones  ;D

Haha close man, I don't listen to it on my way to the gym however we do have that CD at the gym and listen to it quite frequently  :)

Offline wjmathewsx

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »

Haha close man, I don't listen to it on my way to the gym however we do have that CD at the gym and listen to it quite frequently  :)

Rocky was/is the man..... I love the Rocky IV soundtrack....not to mention the movie is the SHIZ!!!!! he keeps me motivated on my long runs.....
Tough times go away. Tough people don't.

Online SoulMonkey

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:10:43 AM »
Gatorade and ON's Whey is always a good price for post workout. That's how I roll.

Offline jgn2112

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
matt77h, that was great info.  Rep'd!
I had not been doing that.  Until I cycle off my kre-alk, my post workout has been 2 scoops ON PC with 2 kre-alks.  When I cycle off the kre-alk, I'm going with Aftershock and with reading birdman's post on Protocol (interspersed with him and CamelE flirting on this thread), I may incorporate that too.
And birdman/CamelE, just joshin...you guys rock.
The common denominator of success, the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful, lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures donít like to do.
-- Albert Grey

Offline JP

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
What about a peanut butter and honey sandwich or a bagel with cream cheese? I read somewhere those are good for post workout quick carbs. Can you guys give me a few more good choices for post workout foods or snacks?

Offline matt77h

• Banned Doods
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
What about a peanut butter and honey sandwich or a bagel with cream cheese? I read somewhere those are good for post workout quick carbs. Can you guys give me a few more good choices for post workout foods or snacks?

Honey is a great quick carb. Bruce Lee use to eat some before training or fights. On my big carb breakfasts on weekends for  preworkout I use 2tbsp honey, 1tbsp cinnamon, .5cup quick oats, and 2oz 2%milk.
The Chicago BLACKHAWKS are your 2009-10 Central Division, Western Conference & Stanley Cup Champions!

Train like Bruce Lee

Neg rep me F@ggot$!

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »

Honey is a great quick carb. Bruce Lee use to eat some before training or fights. On my big carb breakfasts on weekends for  preworkout I use 2tbsp honey, 1tbsp cinnamon, .5cup quick oats, and 2oz 2%milk.

This is on the menu for tomorrow mornin' LOL. Rep'd for the great info.
I <3 muscles.

Offline matt77h

• Banned Doods
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 03:10:18 AM »

This is on the menu for tomorrow mornin' LOL. Rep'd for the great info.

I forgot to add 1.5tbsp brown sugar.

Train like Bruce Lee

Neg rep me F@ggot$!