Topic: Working out twice a day-Pros and Cons  (Read 4657 times)

Offline gbganab

• Senior Members
Working out twice a day-Pros and Cons
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »
How do the members of SR feel about working out twice a day? Now that it is summer break, I have the time in my schedule to workout twice a day if I want to and I am wondering what benefits-if any, are there and how you would split up your workouts?  Or is working out twice a day just overkill? My current goal is to get stronger and maintain/cut.  I am doing 5x5's on all compound lifts-Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Shoulder Press, Barbell Row.  Thanks for your input!
Good, better, best-never let it rest, until your good is better and your better is best.

Offline LivetoLift

• Senior Members
Re: Working out twice a day-Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:29 PM »
it could be really helpful if you split your workouts in half and allow for about +4hours between workouts.
Cons: Muscles will not get the same amount of effort to build upon, because you will be doing less work in each
=Less strength and power gains (unless you hit multiple body parts or do specific  workouts designed for this)
   I would suggest 4-5 exercise each workout (w/e rep scheme u want)
Pros: If you gear and change your workouts correctly to this system you can make more gains out of the rest period between the day, but overall you will keep you metabolism floored all day, causing increased energy and fat burn (as im sure you already know)

Offline gbganab

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
Hey thanks for your input LivetoLift.  I'm thinking I should lift either morning or night and do HIIT cardio opposite of that.  Two lifting sessions would be too much I'm thinkin...
Good, better, best-never let it rest, until your good is better and your better is best.

Offline power

• Senior Members
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »
  Two lifting sessions would be too much I'm thinkin...

Arnold did it. Be tough man, Ha Ha. Seriously though try lifting twice a day and see how you recover.
You can do individual muscles harder. The only thing is that it may be tougher to get stronger do
to overlapping muscles since you would theoretically be doing twice as many workouts. You would have to
see how your tendons and joints would fare also. Now doing cardio as the second workout would make
more sense when trying to get stronger. Recent studies show that it may be better to seperate cardio
and weight workouts to get optimum muscle building. It became popular to do 2 workouts a day in the
eighties. I don't know about now.

Offline LivetoLift

• Senior Members
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
depends bro,
lifting 2x a day will increase mass and muscle while helping burn weight

however doing HIIT is ideal for cutting
its up to your goals

Offline LivetoLift

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »
i was referring to working out in general
2x a day could help you gain more muscle than normal, but it will definatly give you the added metabolism boost 2times in a day
What i was thinking is that if you did power exercises in the morning and cam back in the afternoon and did bodyweight exercises
Say do cleans w/ squats in the morning and come back and do romanian deadlifts or Single Leg Deads in the afternoon it would give your body more time to recover from the morning workout, and therefore you would be fresher doing the second set of exercises in the afternoon and therefore could get more out of them, and could lift heavier due to less fatigue, just stretch all day to keep yourself from getting tight

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
I did two lifting sessions a day for a while and loved it but I can't fit it in with work anymore. The only thing I noticed is that you REALLY have to eat a lot for it to work out...so to speak  :P
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Injury update: not looking good.

Offline Samazon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:43:52 PM »
I'm a big fan of the two-a-days.  But the first is always my weight lifting and the second is some kind of cardio.  I haven't tried to do lifting split into two sessions and I think I would end up over-training if I did.  But I've read a lot about splitting the weights and cardio and doing the cardio second to help with the muscle building and increased metabolism.  Also, I don't tend to have as much energy for endurance running or HIIT in the morning, so the split works out nicely.  Go for it if you have the time and energy and aren't over-training.  8)
I <3 muscles.

Offline gbganab

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
Good she it, fellas.  All REP'd. Weights in the morning, HIIT at night... and lots of eating in between  ;D

Offline wjmathewsx

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
Agree with Brostradamus....Rep'd definitely.......
Tough times go away. Tough people don't.

Offline gbganab

• Senior Members
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
Hey thanks Brostra for keeping it real and being a straight shooter.  Muscles grow and get stronger while resting and lifting twice in a day wouldn't make sense.  The only thing I am worried about is getting in enough calories.. I'm 6 4 weigh 195 so I should be around 2500-3000 cals for a maintenance/cut but my question is... if I am not getting enough calories throughout the day-how is it hurting me?

Offline gbganab

• Senior Members
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
That much activity plus calorie and carb restriction are a recipe for disaster...even if you’re trying to cut.  It’ll take you in the opposite direction because all that activity alone is going to up your cortisol production.  This tells your body to store fat.  It also competes with testosterone rendering it all but useless.  This in turn, tips your testosterone/estrogen ratio in the wrong favor.  When estrogen levels exceed testosterone levels, this can also contribute to fat storage.  Estrogen can result in a soft, doughy physique.  The more estrogen there is, the more cortisol there is.  Too much activity is a bad thing.

You have to find a happy medium with it all.  Sure while you’re exercising, your heart rate is up, and you’re burning calories, but what’s going on beneath the surface is the exact opposite.  Mechanisms coming into play telling your body, “OK, as soon as this dude is done here, we’re gonna up the fat storage so we can handle this next time.”  It’s the “under the surface” mechanisms that must be stimulated, or you must avoid stimulating.  Sure, on the surface you’re a rip roaring cardio machine.  There’s nothing wrong with that, but all that activity is bringing mechanisms into play to fight you on that with everything the body has as its resources.

If too much activity alone wasn’t bad enough, then there’s the calorie and carbohydrate restriction.  This alone signals your body to actually store more fat.  Then you have to seriously deprive your body of what it wants most to engage a mechanism to cause it to release fat.  Again, this is kinda in the opposite direction, if you ask me.  On top of that, low carb diets leave you severely dehydrated.  Your muscle cells can’t hydrate properly without glycogen.  For every 1 gram of glycogen you have stored, the cell will hold 3 grams of water to keep it hydrated.

So when you go low carb, not only are you depleting the cells in your body of their reserve energy sources (a very bad thing), but you’re dehydrating them as well because for every 1 gram of glycogen lost, you’re losing 3 grams of water.  That’s a bad thing, a very bad thing.  Let’s add insult to injury here.  You read all the articles about how bad sodium is for you, so you cut sodium out of your diet along with these very important carbohydrate.  This sets you up for even further dehydration because sodium is one of the few electrolytes circulating in your blood stream for hydration.  The other electrolytes have vastly different functions and are busy doing other things, but sodium is always available to hydrate cells.  When you cut out sodium, you add to your own dehydration.

So add all these factors together.  It’s a recipe for complete disaster.  The high protein, high fat diet puts you at risk for everything from heart disease, strokes, heart attacks, peripheral arterial disease, colon cancer, early prostate enlargement which could lead to prostate cancer, or at the very least poor prostate function, etc. etc. etc.  The list of negatives associated with a high protein, high fat diet is atrocious.  Adding all that activity on top of it, which in turn, leads to the cortisol increase, the testosterone decrease, which leads to estrogen having the favor in your blood stream, and you have an internal nightmare going on, bro.  But at least you look healthy on the outside, my man.

If you’re going to lift early and do HIIT later on, that’s fine.  At least be consciously aware, that if you do that, you gotta feed the machine on top of it.  You gotta eat more for that to work.  Your metabolism is going to be a train wreck if you lift weights early, do HIIT later, AND restrict calories, carbohydrate, and sodium on top of that.

I’d have a high carbohydrate, moderate protein diet after the lifting til about 4 or 5 o’clock.  Then taper off the carbohydrate and start increasing the protein intake leading up to your HIIT.  Then after the HIIT was finished, I’d treat it like a lifting session and down a whey protein shake with some dextrose, maltodextrin, or both.  Then depending on what time it is when the HIIT is over, and how close it is to bed, I’d adjust my diet accordingly.

...That rocked my world. Um, REEEEEEEEEEP'd!!

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:25 PM »
Once again a champ brostradamus. This is a little off topic but you brought up a low carb diet and it being terrible. I'm just curious if I can bulk with around 200g of carbs a day. Im gaining weight with 3000 calories or so a day btw. I'm eating high fat and under 200g of protein a day. 5ft8 and 170lbs
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Injury update: not looking good.