Topic: can you bench every other day  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Fusion12

• Novice
can you bench every other day
« on: November 18, 2009, 05:01:00 AM »
please some one tell my brother that benching every other day dosent do anything but strain your muscles.
go balls out

Offline dammit

• Senior Members
Re: can u bench every other day
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:48:02 AM »
Yep, you pretty much answered it already.  Lifting one muscle group (especially a major one such as the pec's) should really be left with 2 days of rest between lifting again.  Your body just isnt capable of that much repair in 24 hours as it take a considerable amount of protein ingestion, then digestion, then sythesis of new proteins, etc to repair the muscle tissue.  I would argue that for those really pounding the weights, taking up to 3 days off between focusing that muscle group again may not even be enough time for full recovery, especially for those beginning or really pressing hard.  This case will be situational depending on how quickly you recovery, your amount of protein intake (especially glutamine) and BCAA's taken as these will all help speed recovery.  The bottom line however, is that your body "grows" while at rest as this is when the repairing is done.  If you do not allow enough time to rest, you will actually slow your growth gains.
If you have one foot stuck in yesterday and one foot stuck in tomorrow, you are peeing on today.

Offline admin

• Administrator
Re: can you bench every other day
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
If its either do absolutely nothing, or bench every other day, I would say bench every other day.

However, benching every other day is only a small step above absolutely nothing.  He could simply wait more between bench days and he would be better off.
- Tommy

Offline jaycon

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
Thats a step up from the kids in my gym that come in and bench and curl everyday lol. But seriously, if you trained your chest really hard and correctly, you shouldnt be able to bench every other day anyways.
Can't buy underwear...balls don't fit.

P-mag/M-lmg - Cycling now, loggin in the Locker Room.
http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=17016.0

My P-mag cycle - Started 2/27/11
http://www.supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=9837.0

Offline bbarrow

• Senior Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
Like stated above. Doing bench press every other day puts a big strain on your muscles and will not help you gain.
"Obsessed is merely a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

Offline Fusion12

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
yes than you all he is just stubborn
go balls out

Offline JackedElf

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 01:31:29 AM »
I'm thinking about benching twice a week now.
On Monday, I figure I do an all out real hardcore chest work out and on Thursday I'll do a mild one just to feel the pump while I'm doing triceps and biceps.
But yeah, I usually would do just once a week with the benching... Been at that for a while I figure I better switch it up.
You can't just say it, you gotta do it.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
I'm thinking about benching twice a week now.

Thats probably ok, but every other day ends up as 3-4 times a week... which is overkill.
- Tommy

Offline flexas

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 07:26:14 AM »
Yea Iv been going with twice a week on chest and have seen really good gains. But, I might have to switch it up to once because Im not really getting sore from my workouts anymore. Ill probably give once a week a try and really murder my plates. Its good to change it up, See what happens, and adjust.
" I have some pain im goin to have for the rest of my life. So every now and then im going to kick your F'ing A and stomp on you"
       -Iron Mike Tyson

Offline bigdog66

• Senior Members
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:22 AM »
my workout buddy was doing chest and tris 3 days a week(mon-weds-fri) and he ended up getting tendonitis in his elbow and now he can barely do any chest or tris now
no my posts are not FDA approved

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
my workout buddy was doing chest and tris 3 days a week(mon-weds-fri) and he ended up getting tendonitis in his elbow and now he can barely do any chest or tris now

lol, ironic!
- Tommy

Offline adamdub1

• Senior Members
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 03:24:21 PM »
you have to listen to your body.you grow while you rest.there are a number of factors which effect your recoup time-nutrition,genetics...
i remember reading arnolds workout and he was benching every 2nd day,but he also had amazing genetics,proper nutrition and was taking drugs
i would advise once every 5 days if you do other chest exercises,but if its just bench then twice a week would be fine