Topic: AAKG Vs. L-Arginine  (Read 25176 times)

Offline joeflah13

• RCSS Rep, CBL/Carb Nite Advocate, Always Learning
  • Locker Roommates
AAKG Vs. L-Arginine
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »
Hey guys, just wondering what the main differences are between these 2 types of arginine. I know that arginine is an amino acid produced by the body and that it is a precursor to NO, but I've read in places that arginine bonded with an AKG molecule works better in terms of providing a pump. Is that true? I just want to know what the main differences are between the 2, it seems that they are both relatively cheap but L-arginine is DIRT cheap so I would like to know if taking ~5g of that preworkout would do the trick in terms of providing a pump. I tried Olympian Labs AAKG before, which is 3g a scoop, and didn't see any noticable differences in vascularity... Basically, what are the differences, what works better, and how much should be taken?

Thanks much.
Ronnie Coleman Signature Series Representative

Official Member of Team Coleman

PM me for discounts and samples!

YEAAAAAHHHH BUDDAAAYYYYY!!!!
LIGHT WEIGHT BAYBAYYYYYYY!!!!

R.I.P. Tsunami2k
"If it wasn't for my gains in calf size, I'd think Kiefer was the Antichrist." - Ron

Offline Tribewilder

Re: AAKG Vs. L-Arginine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »
I was just about to make a post on this as I have the very same question, but figured I would do a search first and found this post.
Just bumping as there is quite a difference in price between the two and would like to know what exactly is the difference between them.
I'm figuring that the AAKG is "faster and more efficient", but am just guessing here.

Does anyone know? Thanks....

Offline Tribewilder

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:26:11 PM »
OK, did some searching on the net and this is what I have found. Apparently AAKG has a higher bio-availability than L-Arginine so again I will make an assumption in that less is needed for the same benefit:

Aside from being an effective NO supplement, the key benefits of Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate (AAKG) also include increased muscular pump and heightened energy levels. Used in conjunction with an exercise program, AAKG may support myodilation, the expansion of muscle tissue. AAKG is a more bio-available form of Arginine (or L-arginine) which is a crystalline free-form amino acid involved in numerous areas of body processes, including muscle metabolism, ammonia detoxification, hormone secretion and the immune system. Arginine supports protein synthesis as it is involved in the transport and storage of nitrogen and is important for proper physical performance because it is used by the body to produce creatine.

The typically recommended dose for AAKG varies between 2-5 grams per day, depending upon individual needs. For bodybuilders and performance athletes one half level tablespoon will supply approximately 3969 milligrams, or just about 4 grams for the bulk density of this AAKG powder. You can see the full bulk density/volumetric conversion chart for AAKG here. Taking 1/2 level tablespoon 3 times per day will supply a total daily dose of 12 grams. For individuals wanting to supplement with AAKG for their general cardiac and cardiovascular health should consider one level 1/2 teaspoon of approximately 1323 milligrams taken two or three times per day for a total daily dose of between 2 and 4 grams per day. AAKG is not recommended for continuous, high-level use for more than 80 days. Don’t take products that contain ephedrine while using AAKG as they may act as a vasoconstrictor reducing AAKG effects.

AAKG is used in the following Proprietary Formulas
NOW AAKG, 1Fast400 Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate, Oxegen AKG Nitric Oxide Stimulator, Nitrostack Nitric Oxide, BSN NO-Xplode, Gaspari Nutrition SuperPump250, USPlabs Jack3d, Gaspari Nutrition SizeOn, MuscleTech NaNO Vapor, Creabolan 3rd Generation from Syn-Tec

L-Arginine HCl is used in the following Proprietary Formulas
Sargenor, Spedifen®, BSN NO-Xplode, Gaspari Nutrition SuperPump250, USPlabs Jack3d, Gaspari Nutrition SizeOn, MuscleTech NaNO Vapor, 4Ever Fit L-Arginine, AllMax Nutrition Arginine, Cheap Supplements Arginine, Higher Power AAKG Powder,Jarrow Formulas Arginine 1000, Natrol L-Arginine, NOW AAKG Powder, Shocker Nutrition N.O. Extreme, Syntrax Nitrous, Twinlab L-Arginine, Ultimate Nutrition Arginine Power

I found this info here.. http://purebulk.com/l-arginine-a-ketoglutarate-aakg

Offline andrej

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:02:32 AM »
Unless you are eating Spanish peanuts. You are better off with AKG