Topic: Paused bench vs touch and go????  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Wrestler152

• Senior Members
Paused bench vs touch and go????
« on: August 15, 2012, 08:34:39 PM »
What are the benefits of doing a paused bench vs touch and go? This is for someone who doesnt compete in any competitions just lifts for strength/size.

Side question, what muscle is most dominant mid bench?

Thank you.

Offline NomZ

• Senior Members
Re: Paused bench vs touch and go????
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »
No benefit really, you could argue strength off the chest may be improved using paused bench. But you could also argue the lesser weight used compared to touch n go would null any benefit.

If you don't PL, I wouldn't bother with paused. Utilize the stretch reflex with touch n go, just make sure it's no bounce press.

Mid ROM, everything really. I've heard some people say it's delts the most.
Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

NomZ [at] seriousnutritionsolutions.com

Offline GodofSerbia1

• Banned Doods
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:26 PM »
Ya if you were a powerlifter the best form on bench to build strength is to pinch your shoulder blades back keep your elbows in and triceps flexed the whole way down.  Touch the bar and pause for a split second then explode the weight back up.  The best way for someone who is trying to build strength is to just do normal controlled bench press.  Paused bench does help strength because you are working new chest, shoulder, and tricep muscles but eliminating all momentum. 

I recommend mixing it up and adding both into your routine.

Fair and honest,
GodofSerbia1

Offline workoutnoob

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »
Pause bench, or concentrating on the negative portion of the bench is actually beneficial. It gives more muscle contractions and does a better job of tearing them up. Most people neglect negatives.
When you die the only Kingdom you'll see, is two foot wide and six foot deep.
I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim..

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:40:56 AM »
Pausing the bench, causes much less stress, and is safer for the shoulder joints.

Bouncing heavy weights, off of the chest, will tear the shoulder joints apart.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline Malaka10

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
I believe in time under tension. I never touch my chest. I do a slow negative pause about two inches above my chest than explode and contract.

Offline iandriscoll

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
Run a cycle for both and see how they work FOR YOU and if YOU like them.  Static overcome by dynamic strength (basically overcoming a static position) like a paused bench will increase the regular movement with no break in the eccentric/concentric chain I.E. up and down.  I have found that doing pin presses or paused bench makes my delts, chest, triceps work harder, but I wouldn't bank on them to put on a lot of size.  If in doubt try it man.  We can argue theory all day but if you can put an inch on your chest after a 12 week cycle of doing static benches who is anyone else to argue theory with you?  Food for thought, go get it bro.