Topic: Would front squats better than leg extensions!  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Chapa

• Senior Members
Would front squats better than leg extensions!
« on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:29 AM »
So for the past 2 weeks I started incorporating front squats in to my leg routine along with Stiff leg deads.

Leg day

Squats=3x8-10
Stiff leg=3x8-10
Front squat= 3x8-10
calf extensions (leg press)= 3x15-20
leg curl=3x8-10

As you see left out the leg extensions. My reasoning and thought is that since Fronts target mostly quads it could possibly be a good replacement, AND easier on the knee joints them selves. I just want to know if my thinking is right, if not then they will be back in the routine. Thats my exact leg workout and order. Thanks ahead of time for our input. Haha because of this site my workouts are changing monthly and I just want to get the most out my workouts. Through high school I NEVER use to do legs because I didnt think they were important,and didnt want them to get huge, now leg day is starting to grow on me!
Squat=325 for 3 reps (Dec. 14,2012)
Deadlift= 410 for 4 reps(Nov. 17, 2012)
Bench= 285 for 1 rep(Dec. 17,2012)
Power clean and press= 205 w/ 3 reps

Offline Cryoburner

• Locker Roommates
Re: Would front squats better than leg extensions!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »
Yes, front squats >>> leg extensions.
NASM Certified Personal Trainer
ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Offline Chapa

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:31:43 AM »
Sweet! thanks for the quick response. I also like how they just look bad@#@! Im new to them so Im keeping the weight kind of low for now until my balance and technique are greater, but man it'll be awesome to get to be doing 2 45 plates or more haha!
Squat=325 for 3 reps (Dec. 14,2012)
Deadlift= 410 for 4 reps(Nov. 17, 2012)
Bench= 285 for 1 rep(Dec. 17,2012)
Power clean and press= 205 w/ 3 reps

Offline johnny18302

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:45:34 AM »
Yea, I just started doing them not too long ago. I switched both my back squat and leg extension out for 4 weeks and I'm loving it. My legs have grown an inch so far, there looking pretty big. Anyways experiment for a week and get a feel for them.

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:34:55 AM »
Yes, front squats >>> leg extensions.

true story
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline misterjaydub

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »
Duh...come on now. Think about it.
www.grgtfitness.com

"If they could, they would, since they can't, they rant."
-Dave Tate

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »
Front squats are better because you are involving a great many more muscle groups.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline Manimal

• Supplement Advisor, Nutrition Major, IIFYM Advocate, IFer, Natural Bodybuilder, Global Moderator,
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:18 AM »
I don't think many exercises are particularly "better" than another. I just think it's a the combination of exercises and set/rep schemes you use that lead to progress.

Why not do both? Front squats are a great compound movement while the leg extension is the king of assistance/iso exercises. I like to pre-exhaust on extensions alot of times and do 4-6 sets to failure and then go do my fronts. Or do them last and just keep it controlled so I can get a great pump.

I also warm up with extensions every leg day no matter what. I'll do maybe 50-80 super light reps just to warm up my tendons.
BullsEyeFitness client/athlete

Too many people accept everything they hear as conventional wisdom. No one wants to question anything.

IIFYM-FTW

Bros will be bros.

Offline Malaka10

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
Does anybody's back hurt from doing front squats. Just got back from the gym and did them and it killed my back and shoulders.

Offline SoCalLivin

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
Does anybody's back hurt from doing front squats. Just got back from the gym and did them and it killed my back and shoulders.

Front squats are uncomfortable on the shoulders. Just deal with it. The back pain is a little more trivial. IMO you are either going to heavy and losing your form, with the solution obviously being to drop the weight down until you have the form just right. Going too low can also cause back pain. Some people aren't as flexible as others and just aren't built to put their butt to the ground. Try only going just past parallel for a while and see if that helps.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." -Abraham Lincoln

Punch today in the face

God*Guns*Country*KCCO

Offline bosox516

• Senior Members
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »

It could also be the position of the bar on your shoulders. If you let it slide too far forward, it will pull your torso forward and put much more stress on your back as you attempt to compensate. Keep your elbows high, especially if you use a cross-armed grip, and look up. This will keep the bar in line with your center of gravity. Make sure it's resting on the thick of your front delts, rather than lower on the shoulder where the upper arm begins. This will provide the highest amount of natural "padding."

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
With front squats, remember 3 important things regarding technique:  elbows up, chest up, and head up.

If the movement bothers your shoulders, try a modified grip.  Put the heels of your hands together, just like you were doing a hands together curl.   With this hand spacing, grip the center of the bar, and step under, so that the bar is resting high on your front delts.  It will look like you have just finished a hands together curl, at the top of the movement.

Many Olympic Weightlifters use this modified grip on front squats to save their wrists, elbows, and shoulders, from any more stress, from all of the heavy cleaning that they do.

If front squats are bothering your back, you are going into the squat knees first, not butt first, which is exactly backwards.  Always bend at the hip joint first, stick you butt out first, and keep as much of the movement in the big muscles of your gluteus, with your balance on your heels.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline Malaka10

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:03 AM »

It could also be the position of the bar on your shoulders. If you let it slide too far forward, it will pull your torso forward and put much more stress on your back as you attempt to compensate. Keep your elbows high, especially if you use a cross-armed grip, and look up. This will keep the bar in line with your center of gravity. Make sure it's resting on the thick of your front delts, rather than lower on the shoulder where the upper arm begins. This will provide the highest amount of natural "padding."

Ok thanks, I had a problems with crossing my arms as it seemed very uncomfortable and my arms were hitting each other awkwardly. I will give this a try next week thanks.

Offline Malaka10

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »
With front squats, remember 3 important things regarding technique:  elbows up, chest up, and head up.

If the movement bothers your shoulders, try a modified grip.  Put the heels of your hands together, just like you were doing a hands together curl.   With this hand spacing, grip the center of the bar, and step under, so that the bar is resting high on your front delts.  It will look like you have just finished a hands together curl, at the top of the movement.

Many Olympic Weightlifters use this modified grip on front squats to save their wrists, elbows, and shoulders, from any more stress, from all of the heavy cleaning that they do.

If front squats are bothering your back, you are going into the squat knees first, not butt first, which is exactly backwards.  Always bend at the hip joint first, stick you butt out first, and keep as much of the movement in the big muscles of your gluteus, with your balance on your heels.

Thanks for the advice I will try the modified grip and see how it works out. I was keeping my elbows high and shoulders but felt them slowly going down due to the weight, coulda been the position. I appreciate it.

Offline MrAppleman

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 06:12:34 PM »
I am with Manimal on this.
WHy not do both? Double quad whammy
Anybody into Sissy Squats?

And while we are talking about leg day and squats
does anyone else get super horny on leg day??
Broscience-  the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.

"Nothin but a peanut" -Ronnie Coleman