Topic: Dateline NBC report on supplements?????  (Read 3930 times)

Offline bigben21

• Novice
Dateline NBC report on supplements?????
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »
I just watched the datelline nbc report on supplements and their possible health hazards. I have used supplements for years and believe I am pretty welll informed but some of the things they were reporting were startling to say the least. Dateline reported phony labs would say certain supplements were safe to take when they really were not. Just some of the things they said were very disturbing, you really dont know what are in the supplements you take...mainly weight loss and muscle building supplements. I dont know if its on youtube yet but I would check it out if I were you, makes you think twice. Comments????

Offline nofatchix

• Locker Roommates
Re: Dateline NBC report on supplements?????
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
Chris hanson needs to go back to pedophiles and keep the media out of my supplements. Honestly to me, the companies that are more involved in the lifting community, I trust.
I am the director of the largest non-profit anti-obesity eugenics program in the world

I belong to an indigenous tribe that mainstream society does not understand, we are made up of sorcerers, zombie deadlifters, and research rats... we are the L.R.

R.I.P. Tsunami2k "grandfather of HSB"

Offline cjm502

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:24 PM »
Buy from good companies. Im guessing all the big popular companies such Optimum, Dymatize, USPlabs, Universal, etc. are all pretty safe.
Got Stuff?

Offline smtevo

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
I saw it also....most likely only going to buy products now that are NSF and GMP certified like Muscle Pharms products for example.

Offline CDEC

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
Why is this such a big deal to them? People taking supplements at least give a damn about themselves.  They should do things like the health hazards of soda, fast food, alcohol, smoking etc. Things that are actually  PROVEN to damage you. People are so naive and dumb. They would rather tear up the supplement industry and look down at people who use them rather than looking at themselves and their own health risk factors in their day to day lives.
90%. That's the percentage of Americans who think they eat healthy. Considering one-third of the American population is obese I think it is safe to say that self delusion, along with over eating and junk foods, are growing health problems in the U.S.

Offline TUCKnROLL

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Why is this such a big deal to them? People taking supplements at least give a damn about themselves.  They should do things like the health hazards of soda, fast food, alcohol, smoking etc. Things that are actually  PROVEN to damage you. People are so naive and dumb. They would rather tear up the supplement industry and look down at people who use them rather than looking at themselves and their own health risk factors in their day to day lives.

It'll be ok.
I'm right 97% of the time, who cares about the other 4%.   If it flies, floats or foos...It's cheaper to rent.

Offline ztrogers52

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »
I know, I hate when things like this happen.  Some middle aged lady buys some shady company's weight loss miracle shake because she is too lazy to exercise and eat right. Then of course something bad happens because she probably chugged 5 in a row twice a day.  And now all supplements get a bad rap and I get horrified stares at work for mixing up a protein shake....

Offline charmed

• Banned Doods
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:36:01 PM »
I wanted to see that, but too much going on that night.  However, almost no one dies from supplements.  I think it was something like 5 people since the late 1980's.  Looked for a reference and found this

Statistics from the U.S. National Poison Data System prove otherwise. According to a 174-page report just published, the number of people killed in 2009 across America by vitamins, minerals, amino acids or herbal supplements is exactly zero.

Compare that to the 100,000 (or so) Americans killed each year by FDA-approved pharmaceuticals -- and that's even according to studies published in JAMA. Also consider the thousands of women harmed or killed by medically-unjustified cancer treatments following false positives from faulty mammograms. And don't forget about the more than 16,500 Americans killed each year from internal bleeding caused by NSAIDs (over-the-counter painkillers).

neocell SPAMMER!!!  I work for NEOCELL and spam it all over the forum!

Offline ShyamPopat

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Whatever, it's worth it to hear my friends say "Dude creatine is a steroid" just so I can completely crush their argument.

Horrible and ego-boosting? Yes. Worth it? Heck yes.

Offline nofatchix

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
dateline is so far behind on the trend. back in nam' we used to freebase protein, it was the quickest way to get your nutrients... nowadays, i triple filter my powder with my old gym socks (i used old gym socks so the bacteria kills any impurities in the powder). pour the powder down one sock (of which i use for 14 consecutive days), pour unleaded gasoline (premium is not economical) down the sock so the active ingredients filter through into a jar, at which point i freeze the jar for 8 hours to have it crystalize, then mix the crystals with olive oil and finally inject myself intramuscularly.
I am the director of the largest non-profit anti-obesity eugenics program in the world

I belong to an indigenous tribe that mainstream society does not understand, we are made up of sorcerers, zombie deadlifters, and research rats... we are the L.R.

R.I.P. Tsunami2k "grandfather of HSB"

Offline Dyllon12

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
This was such a joke . They had a table of supplements they were showing of products that said they were natural supplements. And here I see x-tren revolving around this table I'm like wtf were does it state this is a natural supp?

Offline Suntzu

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:28:42 AM »
I just watched the datelline nbc report on supplements and their possible health hazards. I have used supplements for years and believe I am pretty welll informed but some of the things they were reporting were startling to say the least. Dateline reported phony labs would say certain supplements were safe to take when they really were not. Just some of the things they said were very disturbing, you really dont know what are in the supplements you take...mainly weight loss and muscle building supplements. I dont know if its on youtube yet but I would check it out if I were you, makes you think twice. Comments????
this is nothing new, some companies have been spiking their products for years. Ever wonder why the beta nearly always works far better than the production? There are multiple companies that sell product to which they have little knowlege to what is in the ingredients. I didn't need dateline to tell me that.

Whether or not how hazardous this is is questionable. But if I take my "hotstuff", remember that, I would rather know that there is a steroid precursor in the product first so as to make a decision on my own about taking it.

Offline GringoMA

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:30:14 AM »
Couldn't agree more guys.  Out of all the things out there that we put into our body, they choose to pick apart supplements and put some scare into people.  It's things like this that end up hurting the economy.  Putting fear into shoppers has no positive effect.  Why couldn't they make an episode informing people on the right or best supplements to use instead?  How about a little education?  You think they'd be encouraging the use of supplements before relying on prescription medication for depression or anxiety, for example.  And I can testify that taking the wrong one of those can really hurt your body and mind.  What a waste of resources.