Topic: Dosing Mucuna Pruriens, when and how much?  (Read 11986 times)

Offline joeflah13

• Always Learning
  • Locker Roommates
Dosing Mucuna Pruriens, when and how much?
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:17:30 AM »
Yo guys, just a little confused with Mucuna Pruriens and what exactly it's intended to do.

I guess my confusion starts with it's inclusion in PowerFULL, which leads me to believe that it should be taken before bed. But then I was shopping around and every recommendation I've seen is to take it in the morning with breakfast. Idk why, if PowerFULL is marketed as a sleep enhancing supp, this would be the case. Wouldn't it just make more sense to supplement with it at night since it has positive effects on GH secretion?

I'm also confused on the dosing with this stuff. I've seen on labels of products "100 mg of Mucuna Pruriens, standardized for 60% L-Dopa" and "800 mg of Mucuna Pruriens, standardized for 15% L-Dopa". Does this just mean that one product would have 60mg L-Dopa (60% of 100mg) per pill and the other would have 120mg L-Dopa (15% of 800mg) per pill?

Also, if anyone could clear up the actual dosing protocol for this that would be cool. I've read people taking anywhere from 200 to 500 mg of Pruriens but most labels only recommend 200mg.

Sorry for the string of questions but I can't seem to find much on this stuff and I'm looking for a little something to add to my next stack as a sleep aid and this looks pretty promising.

Many thanks.
YEAAAAAHHHH BUDDAAAYYYYY!!!!
LIGHT WEIGHT BAYBAYYYYYYY!!!!

R.I.P. Tsunami2k
"If it wasn't for my gains in calf size, I'd think Kiefer was the Antichrist." - Ron

Offline joeflah13

• Always Learning
  • Locker Roommates
Re: Dosing Mucuna Pruriens, when and how much?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Oh, also I posted this in Natural Test Boosters because I couldn't find an "others" or "sleep aid" category on the forum, and posting it under Growth Enhancers would just be plain stupid lol

R.I.P. Tsunami2k
"If it wasn't for my gains in calf size, I'd think Kiefer was the Antichrist." - Ron

Offline Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:05:11 AM »
Yo guys, just a little confused with Mucuna Pruriens and what exactly it's intended to do.

Mucuna Pruriens has shown independent ability to increase endogenous Testosterone, as well as increase endogenous GH. Mucuna can be a very beneficial supplement for anybody looking to build muscle because of its high L-Dopa content. L-Dopa is an amino acid that helps maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels that are already within a normal range.

I guess my confusion starts with it's inclusion in PowerFULL, which leads me to believe that it should be taken before bed. But then I was shopping around and every recommendation I've seen is to take it in the morning with breakfast. Idk why, if PowerFULL is marketed as a sleep enhancing supp, this would be the case. Wouldn't it just make more sense to supplement with it at night since it has positive effects on GH secretion?

Well first off, we are talking about USPlabs here, but I'll save my personal opinion of them for another time. But the bottle does say to take the pills before bed. Which makes sense since that is the more ideal time to take a product that is supposed to increase GH output.

I'm also confused on the dosing with this stuff. I've seen on labels of products "100 mg of Mucuna Pruriens, standardized for 60% L-Dopa" and "800 mg of Mucuna Pruriens, standardized for 15% L-Dopa". Does this just mean that one product would have 60mg L-Dopa (60% of 100mg) per pill and the other would have 120mg L-Dopa (15% of 800mg) per pill?

You are correct on that assumption in regards to how to figure out the content of the L-dopa. But what I don't like about how these companies extract Mucuna is that they are leaving out a lot of the essential alkaloids that are present in the full spectrum bean extract. L-dopa on its own is fine, but the real benefits come from a full spectrum extract that encompasses all the benefits of Mucuna. I think they should just make it a straight L-dopa extract if thats what they are aiming for...

Also, if anyone could clear up the actual dosing protocol for this that would be cool. I've read people taking anywhere from 200 to 500 mg of Pruriens but most labels only recommend 200mg.
Sorry for the string of questions but I can't seem to find much on this stuff and I'm looking for a little something to add to my next stack as a sleep aid and this looks pretty promising.

The dosing protocol is very confusing, because most of the literature out there have different extracts that they use. One calls for using 5 grams a day of a general extract of Mucuna, while another will state using an extract that is standardized to 15% L-dopa. I'm not a fan of this product for several reasons, but one being that the claims are exaggerated, and another is that this will mess with the balance of your neurotransmitters, and you might have to supplement with Tyrosine and 5-HTP to ensure that you do not create an imbalance.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I can tell you that I think this product is bunk, and there are better options out there to increase your Growth Hormone levels during sleep, such as GABA and L-Arginine L-Pyroglutamate plus Lysine, and melatonin. That combo is what I actually use and it works great BTW.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Offline joeflah13

• Always Learning
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
I wish I could be more helpful, but I can tell you that I think this product is bunk, and there are better options out there to increase your Growth Hormone levels during sleep, such as GABA and L-Arginine L-Pyroglutamate plus Lysine, and melatonin. That combo is what I actually use and it works great BTW.

Sweet bro thanks for the quick response, more than helpful.

I've heard about GABA and melatonin and their benefits, but what's this L-Arginine L-Pyroglutamate plus Lysine? Never heard of that...

R.I.P. Tsunami2k

Offline joeflah13

• Always Learning
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
^ Just did a quick search of this stuff, looks pretty damn sweet

http://nutrabio.com/Products/arginine_pyroglutamate_plus.htm#.T0FLuFxSQQo

Do you buy in bulk from this NutraBio Company?

R.I.P. Tsunami2k

Offline Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Yup, that is exactly the same product that I use.

I don't have time right now, but I'll link you an article or two that have proven how superb it is at raising your GH levels. It's a cheap supplement. My GABA powder is also from NutraBio.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Offline gymrat827

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
I use NOW muca.....4-5 caps before bed.  about 1.5 hrs before you wana fall alseep.  some guys say it helps put them to bed..??  i havent, but i take meds from the doc for sleep so im another story.
anabolics are a way of life

Offline bb12

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
That's a very interesting product