Topic: Vitamin C as Cortisol Control Replacement?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline nprincipe11

• Novice
Vitamin C as Cortisol Control Replacement?
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »
I have searched for this everywhere and cant find a legitimate answer but anyways what I am asking is: Can I take high doses of Vitamin C instead of a cortisol control supplement? And if so how high should the dosage be each day?

Offline henrig11

• Senior Members
Re: Vitamin C as Cortisol Control Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
I have a professor who specifically studies Vitamin C. I'll ask him about cortisol control. I know he did a study claiming that ideal dosage would be 500mg a.m and 500mg p.m. Roc Ordman is his name, I know he has a bunch stuff published but I don't have the time to go through it now.
The joy is in the process, not the end result.

Offline Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »
I've never heard of that one before... but who knows, I learn something new everyday.

I do remember reading that a high dose of Vitamin C before a workout, perferably cardio, provides excellent results in terms of endurance and it burns more calories... I have to look that study up though, its been awhile.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Offline Manimal

• Supplement Advisor, Nutrition Major, IIFYM Advocate, IFer, Natural Bodybuilder, Global Moderator,
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
1,000mg-2,000mg post workout.

I've been doing this for a little while now but cannot confirm for sure. Actually, that makes me wanna ask my nutrition professor. She has a PHD and like to conduct research so maybe she will know for sure.
BullsEyeFitness client/athlete

Too many people accept everything they hear as conventional wisdom. No one wants to question anything.

IIFYM-FTW

Bros will be bros.

Offline cjm502

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
The body burns off a lot of vitamins, especially vitamin C, during exercise. A huge side affect of vitamin C deficiency is fatigue/loss of energy. Looking at the profiles for a bunch of pre workouts I noticed some of them contain Vitamin C. It would be interesting to look in to and maybe add to an intra.
Got Stuff?

Offline Megan

• Banned Doods
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:04:35 PM »
I've never heard of Vit C as cortisol control. How did you come up with this idea?
Use "lockout05" to get an extra 5% off @

store.lockoutforums.com

Lockout rep :)

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Google
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf

Offline nofatchix

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
i read into a study about vitamin c and cortisol levels recently. 1,000mg of vitamin c was given to people per day and they were given some sort of program that intentially gave them more stress. the study ended up showing that people that had lower than basal levels of vitamin c in their body ended up lowering their cortisol levels and had a better outlook in life. and the people that had normal basal levels of vitamin c already, did not affect their mood nor cortisol levels.

i would think that it would help with cortisol lowering effect was more indirectly due to the fact that the subject already had vitamin c levels and the vitamin c helped them tolerate stress easier, resulting in lower cortisol levels. i dont think the vitamin c affected cortisol levels directly.

who knows could be wrong though. but thats what i got out of reading into the study.
I am the director of the largest non-profit anti-obesity eugenics program in the world

I belong to an indigenous tribe that mainstream society does not understand, we are made up of sorcerers, zombie deadlifters, and research rats... we are the L.R.

R.I.P. Tsunami2k "grandfather of HSB"

Offline nprincipe11

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:37 PM »
I've never heard of Vit C as cortisol control. How did you come up with this idea?
I have read on a few different forums saying that but I didnt know the truth behind it either so I figured I would ask around.

Offline chris004

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
The answer is take S4

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »
Ah yes SARMS are usually the answer....especially to the new guys
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf

Offline Hanzo

• Banned Doods
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
Google
I'm surprised you had to suggest that. I thought that was the source of the magnificent fount of knowledge.
GOT GEAR? I wish I knew then what I know now.
Research Rat>VIP-RCR Brotherhood(if you don't know, don't ask)
If it takes forever.....I will die trying
All advice given is radically insane, you can't handle it.

Offline Megan

• Banned Doods
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:43 AM »
i read into a study about vitamin c and cortisol levels recently. 1,000mg of vitamin c was given to people per day and they were given some sort of program that intentially gave them more stress. the study ended up showing that people that had lower than basal levels of vitamin c in their body ended up lowering their cortisol levels and had a better outlook in life. and the people that had normal basal levels of vitamin c already, did not affect their mood nor cortisol levels.

i would think that it would help with cortisol lowering effect was more indirectly due to the fact that the subject already had vitamin c levels and the vitamin c helped them tolerate stress easier, resulting in lower cortisol levels. i dont think the vitamin c affected cortisol levels directly.

who knows could be wrong though. but thats what i got out of reading into the study.

Did you find that study on Pub Med or some other open med site? Also was the research done on everyday people or athletes?
Use "lockout05" to get an extra 5% off @

store.lockoutforums.com

Lockout rep :)

Offline nofatchix

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »

Did you find that study on Pub Med or some other open med site? Also was the research done on everyday people or athletes?

pubmed, and it was done on your everday person. i'll see if i can find the link again.
I am the director of the largest non-profit anti-obesity eugenics program in the world

I belong to an indigenous tribe that mainstream society does not understand, we are made up of sorcerers, zombie deadlifters, and research rats... we are the L.R.

R.I.P. Tsunami2k "grandfather of HSB"

Offline Hanzo

• Banned Doods
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »

It was done on everyday atheists. As if.......
GOT GEAR? I wish I knew then what I know now.
Research Rat>VIP-RCR Brotherhood(if you don't know, don't ask)
If it takes forever.....I will die trying
All advice given is radically insane, you can't handle it.