Topic: Deer Meat ( Good or bad)  (Read 4687 times)

Offline GymAddict

• Novice
Deer Meat ( Good or bad)
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:59:36 AM »
Ok so im sitting here in my office and one of the guys I work with went deer hunting a day ago. He shot a nice looking deer from the looks of the pictures. He has about 110 lbs of meat left from the deer, thats cut into steaks chops and grounded. He wants to give me about 20 to 30lbs of it for free but im scared being that I have never ate a deer in my life and plus I see deer all the time eating my wifes plants. How would this affect lets say my gym workouts, ya know I eat alot of chicken breast and ground turkey but never thought of added deer to my diet. Is this type of meet good to have or is it bad for you as far as performance in the gym and thing of that nature. I dont know i guess im just scared to eat the damn thing!!!!!!

Ya or no for the deer help me please.
"Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body"

Offline Virtus

• Moderator, Unicorn Blood Acolyte, Double Tap Practitioner
  • Locker Roommates
Re: Deer Meat ( Good or bad)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
Humans have been eating deer for tens of thousands of years. Of course its good for you. It also happens to taste f***ing delicious if you ask me. Elk too.

Also, it depends on what the deer eats. If they just are eating sagebrush and scrubs, it wont taste as good as if they eat forest/your wifes plants.

Hell put it on ice and send it to me if you don't like it.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Nous Defions

Offline Reinger

• Expert Reviewer. Flightless Bird Enthusiast
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
Typically very lean, high protein to fat ratio. So yes it is good for you. Can be a little tough, but with a good marinade can be delicious. Take it and experiment a little.
I have an exceptional perceptive ability to see into everyone but myself...

R.I.P. TK

Offline Virtus

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
Slow cook to deal with any toughness....like a crock pot. Make it into chili if you can!

Nous Defions

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
Yes it's very good for you, very lean protein
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf

Offline RDgulls

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
During the months of sept thru march deer meat completely replaces beef in all of my cooking...its a much leaner protien that if cooked correctly has a much better flavor...also if it is wild game it does not have the hormones and anti-biotics that farm raised beef has...take the meat man and enjoy

Offline DNRCMO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »
Very good meat to eat...naturally lean as stated before.  Just watch out for the ground venison as they usually will combine it with another meat because it is too lean to cook when ground.  Also, make sure the silver skin is off the meat too, that would give you a slimy taste if not removed.  

I cooked some chops in a marinade consisting of Jack Daniels and worchester sauce.  I can't remember the entire recipe, but I do know it was delicious.
OBSESSED are what the LAZY call the DEDICATED!! - forgot where I read this, but it stuck with me!

Offline IamAlex

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:38 AM »
I love deer

Offline jmlstocks

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
Love me some Venison!  A good way to figure it out is to look at the animal it comes from.  Obviously if it comes from a cow or a pig (which are both fat) it is likely to be more fattening, where if you look at the body of a deer, it has very little fat and stands to reason that the meat is very lean.
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313
Decline Bench            433
(with Slingshot-calculated max)   Trap Bar Deadlift 629
Seated Military Press: 220
Traditional Deadlift:    505

Offline Meuth

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
Deer meet is very good for you as previously stated because it is natural.  Deer are very mobile and carry very little fat.  Look up some recipes on Google and go for it! 

Elk is awesome!  I had elk lasagna before with whole grain noddles.  Excellent! 
On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone will drop to zero.

Go Spotless!  Press it or wear it!

Why do you have scabs on your shins? Because of the mother-fooing deadlift!

50 Shades of GAINZ!

Offline Virtus

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
Love me some Venison!  A good way to figure it out is to look at the animal it comes from.  Obviously if it comes from a cow or a pig (which are both fat) it is likely to be more fattening, where if you look at the body of a deer, it has very little fat and stands to reason that the meat is very lean.
exactly. this is why i would much rather eat venison or elk than pork or non-organic local farm beef any day of the week. it just tastes healthier.

Oh man meuth elk lasanga does sound fing good....damn these peptides making me hungry all the time...

Nous Defions

Offline jmlstocks

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:42 AM »
exactly. this is why i would much rather eat venison or elk than pork or non-organic local farm beef any day of the week. it just tastes healthier.

Oh man meuth elk lasanga does sound fing good....damn these peptides making me hungry all the time...
Agree completely

@Meuth: Elk Lasagna-LMAO, that sounds pretty good.  My favorite way to eat venison is cooking it with Beefy Mushroom Mix, taste is heavenly
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313
Decline Bench            433
(with Slingshot-calculated max)   Trap Bar Deadlift 629
Seated Military Press: 220
Traditional Deadlift:    505

Offline Rebel29073

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
Typically very lean, high protein to fat ratio. So yes it is good for you.

This + rep to you sir.
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

Offline gabem10

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
I'm with RD, during the winter all my beef is replaced with venison. everything from spaghetti to back straps to chili. So good.
Take Big Risks

Offline DNRCMO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
I've tried Venison, Elk, Moose, and Buffalo.  Buffalo burgers rule!  I'm still trying to find Ostrich in Green Bay to try!!   :P
OBSESSED are what the LAZY call the DEDICATED!! - forgot where I read this, but it stuck with me!