Topic: Ankle pain when I flex my right foot upward.  (Read 25826 times)

• Reputation: +1272
Ankle pain when I flex my right foot upward.
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
Did something to the front part of my right ankle just above my foot and it has been really bothing me the last few days. The pain is betwwen the middle and right side of my ankle. When I flex my foot upward it really hurts and makes a weird sound and feels like rubber rubbing together. Been icing it and ibprofen. Not sure what did just started to hurt last Thursday evening.

Anybody have any idea what I might have done. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this to start hurting is the day before I did really heavy leg press and have been doing that a lot on Weds. I usually do 3 sets of 20 reps and go pretty heavy in weight. Not sure if over time this has caused to start hurting. It does not look like it is super swollen. There is one spot when I push on it, it will start to hurt a little. Any ideas as to what I may have done and how I could maybe treat this please let me know.
There will be PAIN there will be SUFFERING but where OTHERS FALL I will continue TO RISE.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:49:23 PM »
I tried to explain this the best I could. I hope you all can understand what I am trying to say if not let me know and I will try to explain it better.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »
The part of your ankle, that you are describing, is actually very complex.

In this small area, you have muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones that could have all been injured.

Did you get your foot bent back too far, doing leg presses?

I would ice the area for 20 minutes, at least 3 times per day, and see if this brings any relief.

If not, you may need x-rays to determine if you have done more serious damage.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline Geer76

• Senior Members
  • Posts: 129
  • Reputation: +112
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:29 AM »
What you describes sounds like it could be anterior ankle impingement. If with icing, resting and anti-inflammatory meds it doesn't improve any, it would be a good idea to see your doctor or visit an orthopedist who specializes in the foot. They can do x-rays to make sure there are no bone spurs involved. If not, they can give you a steroid shot which can help alleviate the pain and swelling of the ligaments involved.

Here is a little about anterior ankle impingement:

Pinching of tissues in the front of the ankle is called anterior impingement. Athletes who have had several mild ankle sprains or one severe sprain are most likely to have anterior impingement. This is especially true for athletes who repeatedly bend the ankle upward (dorsiflexion), such as baseball catchers, basketball and football players, and dancers. Over time, irritation along the front edge of the ankle can lead to impingement.

Irritation in the lower edge of the AITFL and the front of the ATFL can thicken these ligaments. The irritated ligaments become vulnerable to getting pinched between the tibia and talus as the foot is dorsiflexed. These ligaments may also begin to rub on the joint capsule of the ankle. This can inflame the synovial lining of the capsule, a condition called synovitis.

A similar problem can happen after an ankle sprain. As the torn or ruptured ligament heals, the body responds by forming too much scar tissue along the front and side of the ankle joint. This creates a small mass of tissue called a meniscoid lesion. Dorsiflexing the ankle can trap the tissue between the edge of the ankle joint, causing pain, popping, and a feeling that the ankle will give out and not support your body weight.

Over time, damage from past ankle sprains may also lead to the formation of small projections of bone called bone spurs. Bone spurs can form along the bottom ledge of the tibia bone or on the upper surface of the talus. As the ankle hinges into dorsiflexion, the bone spurs may begin to jab into the soft tissues along the front edge of the ankle joint, causing symptoms of anterior impingement.
"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." ~ Mother Theresa

Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become. ~ Anon

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »

Here is a little about anterior ankle impingement:

This is all good information, if your foot has been bent back too far, this would have basically been my answer.

Big + to Geer.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the info geer76. I will just keeping icing if for a few days and if it dose not get better I may go and see a doctor. Hopefully it will get better so I don't have to see a doctor.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:27:09 AM »
When you do leg presses, do them with your heels, and set your feet with your toes off of the edge of the machine.

This should prevent this from happening again.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
Thanks Rich. Now that I think about it I think I have been pushing a little to much with my toes instead of heel. I will try pushing with my heels instead.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
Yesterday I talked to the owner where I workout at and told her what was wrong with my ankle and wanted to know if she maybe knew what my problem was. She said by what I described to her that it sounded like I have really bad tendinitis in my ankle. She said about all I can do is soak my foot in cold ice water and not use any ice packs on it. I told her that when I flex my foot upward I feel a scrunching type feeling in my ankle and she said tendinitis would mostly likely be causing you to feel that scrunching in your ankle. There are a couple other things that might causing this also but kind of hard to explain what they are on here.

She said soaking your foot in cold ice water is going to really hurt but its the only way to really treat tendinitis and of course rest on my ankle. So today I tried soaking my foot in cold ice water and yes she was right it hurt really bad. It took me a little bit before my foot got numb enough so I could keep it in the water for awhile. I was only able to leave me foot in the water for a few mins at a time because it hurt so bad and my toes got pretty cold. I have to be carefull when I do this to not keep my foot in there to long to cause any frost bite to set in.

I really hope this is all that is wrong with my ankle and I hope the soaking my foot in cold ice water help with this.