Topic: L-Glutamine inhibits NO Synthesis  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
L-Glutamine inhibits NO Synthesis
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
After some talk in another thread about the possibility of glutamine effecting pumps in the gym, particularly when we are consuming NO boosters to get massive pumps, I decided to look further into the discussion in some medical journals.

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/281/1/448.short

The article posted in the link above is titled : "Glutamine Inhibits Nitric Oxide Synthesis in Bovine Venular Endothelial Cells"

From the abstract I will post the key parts : The addition of l-glutamine (0.5 and 2 mM) markedly increased intracellular concentrations of l-glutamine, l-glutamate andl-aspartate and decreased NO synthesis by EC in a concentration-dependent manner in the presence or absence of A23187, bradykinin or substance P

In other words, when they introduced L-glutamine into the experiment, it decreased NO synthesis. The research went further to state that L-glutamine didn't have a negative effect on L-Arganine uptake, and the process involved in decreasing NO synthesis remained unknown after concluding the experiment.

Also in 2004, another study showed that L-glutamine inhibits vascular nitric oxide (NO) production in vitro. (ScienceDirect.com)

So there are all the facts, now here is my anecdotal evidence.

I always consume Xtend throughout the day, and especially during my workout. I usually use 4 scoops, which equals to about 10 grams of glutamine per bottle that I make. I also take a protein shake before my workout which contains 5 grams of glutamine, and also consume amiNO energy by ON during my workout which contains an undisclosed amount of glutamine.

Today I decided to only conume my Xtend for breakfast, and not have my protein shake before my workout or taking a intra-workout drink with me. I took 6 capsules of NO3 Black Chrome 1 hour before my workout along with some Beta-Alanine and went to the gym. I had some of the best pumps I have ever had in months. I couldn't believe it. This was my 6th day taking NO3 Black Chrome, so I know it wasn't the fact that I was using it for the first time. My arms were swole as heck, and my veins were popping out so badly that I was almost scared. Needless to say, I had a great Chest/Bicep workout, and it was amazing.

Tomorrow I'm going to try the same thing with Nitrox II which hasn't let me down and is on par with NO3 Black Chrome.

Now I just want to go and say that even with all the glutamine I consume on an average day and take a pump product, I still get pumps, so some are going to wonder whats the point. But I'm telling you, the difference was outstanding. I'm now only going to conume glutamine after my workouts, when I think it's use is most beneficial anyways.

So give it a try guys. This was only my first test of this idea, and I'll continue to update you guys as I try this out more often.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Offline ShyamPopat

• Locker Roommates
Re: L-Glutamine inhibits NO Synthesis
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »
Please make this a mini journal or something! I mean, if taking glutamine preworkout is negative for pumps, I may stop

Offline JMetal12

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
Tsunami, I'm going to +rep you b/c you always come out with an article backed by science. I always felt that l-glutamine was more beneficial post workout.
1Tim 4:8   For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Offline kingmeat

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 12:03:50 PM »
good stuff right there tsunami will try this when i get my next N.O. product.

Offline makeshift

• Senior Members
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
Great article, But IMO(and this is my experience) it can't have a HUGE effect...I've been taking glyuta-lyn(scifit) pre and post and haven't noticed any decrease while using NO3 BC and C4...but it very well could be such a small difference that I'll never notice it...
AI Sports Nutrition Rep

Facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
Twitter.com/TeamAISports

Ask me for samples!

20% off here at bodybuilding.com! 20PERAILINE is the code.

Offline BrooklynBuff

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Again,another great post,I'll always save glut for post+rep
Scooper expert with a P90 in the trunk..

Offline Virtus

• Moderator, Unicorn Blood Acolyte, Double Tap Practitioner
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Yes good poo on the backing with scientific studies +rep
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Nous Defions

Offline rushh1605

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »
if i take glutamine post workout

would it still affect n.o synthesis???
PROPER
PREPARATION
PREVENTS
POOR
PERFORMANCE....

-VINCE LOMBARDI

Offline JMetal12

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »
if i take glutamine post workout

would it still affect n.o synthesis???

You can take it post. Nitric oxide promotes a pump, so supplementing post wouldn't matter much. Still, even with the research, i've taken l-glut pre with an NO supp and still had great pumps.
1Tim 4:8   For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Offline Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Yeah like I said before, even with all the intake of glutamine, the pump products we take still do their job. I happen to have a higher body fat % then I'd like to, so I rarely get to see my veins poppin' out and stuff, but when I tried to not consume glutamine, I noticed a significant difference. But in the end, you just have to judge if its worth if for you. There is the arguement that pumps aren't even that beneficial, and also that if we still get pumps from taking NO boosters along with our daily glutamine intake, then whats the points?

For me, I just thought it was cool to see myself in the mirror in a way I hadn't seen myself before... so who knows man.
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Offline JMetal12

• Senior Members
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:45 AM »
Yeah like I said before, even with all the intake of glutamine, the pump products we take still do their job. I happen to have a higher body fat % then I'd like to, so I rarely get to see my veins poppin' out and stuff, but when I tried to not consume glutamine, I noticed a significant difference. But in the end, you just have to judge if its worth if for you. There is the arguement that pumps aren't even that beneficial, and also that if we still get pumps from taking NO boosters along with our daily glutamine intake, then whats the points?

For me, I just thought it was cool to see myself in the mirror in a way I hadn't seen myself before... so who knows man.

Tsunami, once you start losing more body fat and train regularly, your vascularity will start to blossom. I've noticed a huge diff. in the last year. Was always big, but wasn't real "veiny." Now due to diet, decreased body fat, and training, people constantly think I'm on gear. It will come bro. Just stick with it.

Offline Rebel29073

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 08:43:15 AM »
Interesting write up and I can speak fro my own experiences on this as well now that you mentioned this.

Sometimes I was adding Glutaform into my PWO mixture only because I always forgot to take the pre-bed dosing. I would also take a scoop post workout as recommended also. On a few occasions I have forgotten the glutaform in my PWO my reaction to NO3BC was also much better so you are on to something here I think. + rep for you sir. 
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

Offline JS

• Senior Members
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
When I am on NO products I only take GLUT post, when I am off I take it pre/post

Offline dkaki

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »
glutamine has 2 NO molecules i think. It helps deliver nutrients to your muscles, therefore the pump/ vasodilation is no longer needed hence it is disregarded. that's why you don't get pumps because the glutamine is already doing what a PUMP is theoretically able to do. at least that's how i remember it and thats how my theory goes. read it somewhere.
Always smile when lifting :D