Author Topic: Bulbine Natalensis : How much do you know about it?  (Read 4749 times)

Tsunami2k

• Expert Reviewers/So Cal King
  • Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +202/-33
Bulbine Natalensis : How much do you know about it?
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
One of the first supplements I had chosen to take was Tropinol by iForce. After an epic fail (I was a supplement newb at the time), I started researching about the main ingredient that apparently is causing all the hype. It's called Bulbine Natalensis, and it apparently has some testosterone boosting properties. I figured that if it really was in tropinol, then it was either a very weak extract of old leaves, or some neglect in the manufacturing process that produced a dud. Another product that I am looking at is Phytoserms-347, which seems like a completely better candidate.

The rodent data suggests a testosterone boost of 347% compared to baseline, while lowering estrogen by 35%. And all of this is achieved at a dose of 50mgs/kg (rat dose), which translates very well to a low human dose, which would easily fit in a single daily serving with zero side effects!

I suggest reading this article. It is very interesting to see how one mans journey to find out all he could about this herb led him to achieving reasonable results:

http://www.steroidtimes.com/bulbine-natalensis-raises-testosterone-lowers-estrogen/2010

So I'm still looking around for the possibility of this product really becoming big one day, but it's still in its beginning stages. Here is a FAQ that was written up on another forum that helps answer a lot of questions about this herb. This FAQ suggests taking Phytoserms-347 for getting a bulbine supplement.

What is Bulbine Natalensis?

Bulbine Natalensis is an herb, indigenous to South Africa, which has recently been studied for its use as a Libido enhancer, testosterone booster, and estrogen reducer. It has also been studied as an herbal remedy for erectile dysfunction. Colloquially it is known as Ibhucu (Zulu), Rooiwortel (Afrikaans). It is an evergreen perennial (grows throughout the year), and features broad sharp pointed fleshy yellow-green leaves. It has clusters of star-shaped yellow flowers on long thin flowering stems, and is drought resistant, typically growing in Full Sun or semi shaded areas.

In traditional folk medicine, the leaves, roots, and sap are all used respectively for a variety of ailments: to treat bug stings, mosquito bites, blisters, cold sores, mouth ulcers, cracked skin, to soothe sunburn, disinfect cuts, and to speed the healing of bruises.

Is there any scientific research to support its use as a testosterone booster, and/or estrogen reducer?

Yes. A rodent study was performed by the Centre for Phytomedicine Research, Department of Botany, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa. Rodents receiving Bulbine Natalensis had a serum testosterone level equal to 347% of the control group; in that same group, estrogen was 35% lower.

Has Bulbine Natalensis ever been used to raise testosterone and lower estrogen in humans?

Although this herb is new to the market, it has been successfully used to boost testosterone levels in humans, while lowering estrogen levels. While no clinical studies have been performed examining these effects in humans, its use has been validated in non-clinical settings.

Does Bulbine Natalensis improve Libido?

In a rodent study conducted by Yakubu and Afolayan, test subjects receiving Bulbine Natalensis were found to have significantly elevated libidos, when compared to the control group.

How effective is Bulbine Natalensis on erectile dysfunction?

Although human trials have not yet been performed on Bulbine Natalensis, the initial rodent data suggests that it has the potential to outperform the leading erectile dysfunction drug.

Is Bulbine Natalensis available as a nutritional supplement?

Phytoserms-347 is the first nutritional supplement in the world to contain Bulbine Natalensis. It uses a chemically fingerprinted and standardized version of the herb, trademarked under the name Prolensis. This ensures that from batch to batch, the potency of the product doesn’t fluctuate, as is sometimes seen with various herbal products.

Are there any known fake or counterfeit Bulbine Natalensis products?

Unfortunately, the demand for this herb has increased faster than the production, which resulted in a situation where lower quality and potency Bulbine Natalensis has entered the supply chain. In some cases, it is suspected that similar-looking herbs from the same genus (i.e. Bulbine Fructescens, Bulbine Latifolia, etc...) are mistakenly being harvested and sold as Bulbine Natalensis. This is why Phytoserms-347 contains Prolensis, the first and only standardized Bulbine Natalensis in the world, harvested and imported directly from South Africa.

Is Bulbine Natalensis safe?

Although no human trials have taken place, it has been used extensively in South Africa for centuries, and no adverse effects have been reported from contemporary use in a nutritional supplement.

Who could benefit from using Bulbine Natalensis as a dietary supplement?

Athletes looking to enhance their hormonal profile, support a healthy endocrine system, or improve their recovery, can all benefit from the use of this herb in a dietary supplement. Additionally, those looking to improve their Libido or experience prosexual effects, could potentially benefit from Bulbine Natalensis.

How should Bulbine Natalensis be stored?

Although there is no universally accepted protocol for the storage of this herb, it should likely be stored in a clean, dry place, below room temperature if possible. This insures that the Bulbine maintains potency of its sterols and sterolins.

How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

The dose of Bulbine Natalensis found in each daily serving of Phytoserms-347 is equal to the amount shown to maximally elevate testosterone and lower estrogen.

Further research and reading –

Anabolic and androgenic activities of Bulbine natalensis stem in male Wistar rats. Yakubu MT, Afolayan AJ. Pharm Biol. 2010 May;48(5):56876.PMID: 20645801

Effect of Bulbine natalensis Baker stem extract on the functional indices and histology of the Liver and kidney of male Wistar rats.
Afolayan AJ, Yakubu MT.J Med Food. 2009 Aug;12(4):814-20.PMID: 19735182 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Reproductive toxicologic evaluations of Bulbine natalensis Baker stem extract in albino rats.
Yakubu MT, Afolayan AJ.Theriogenology. 2009 Aug;72(3):322-32. Epub 2009 May 1.PMID: 19410284 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Effect of aqueous extract of Bulbine natalensis Baker stem on haematological and serum lipid profile of male Wistar rats.
Yakubu MT, Afolayan AJ.Indian J Exp Biol. 2009 Apr;47(4):283-8.PMID: 19382725 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Related citations

Effect of aqueous extract of Bulbine natalensis (Baker) stem on the sexual behaviour of male rats.
Yakubu MT, Afolayan AJ.Int J Androl. 2009 Dec;32(6):629-36. Epub 2008 Aug 15.PMID: 18710410 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

---FAQ source : NeedToGetGas @ EliteFitness
"The best activities for your health are pumping and humping."
 -Arnold

Ecko3389

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +15/-1
Re: Bulbine Natalensis : How much do you know about it?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »
I have been looking at this product too. seems intresting im debating wether or not i should give it a try. needtobuildmuscle actually makes some good products so might give it a try.

soundsoffire

• Locker Roommates
  • Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +199/-42
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 01:12:22 AM »
all these herbs that are around these days ,why doesnt somebody make extracts out of it which are like 1000 times more potent. They do it for everything else, atleast that way itd be helpfull lol
take it if its easy, and if its easy take it home....

JMetal12

• Senior Members
  • Forum Rep: +169/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:51:01 AM »
I tried tropinol too. Utter garbage. I think that this herb could yield some promising results, it's just that IForce used a poo'y extract. If you can find a reputable company with a pure BN extract, it may work. These companies make me laugh, why not just make it right from the beginning. Now i'll never buy another IForce supp again. Also, after a lot of research, I found that BN can create a U effect, raising test in the beginning, but then lowering it over time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:53:05 AM by JMetal12 »
1Tim 4:8   For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.