Topic: Egg protein. Better than whey?  (Read 10166 times)

Offline sheepdog

• Banned Doods
Egg protein. Better than whey?
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:47 AM »
Starting to hear guys at my gym knock whey and promote powdered egg protein. Can someone give me the low down on this? Maybe its medium absorption time?
"make like your slapping a mosquito in front of your nuts." AnabolicAdam.

Offline mjtuf1

• Senior Members
Re: Egg protein. Better than whey?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:40 AM »
Whey protein that is filled with amino acids is fine. Protein from actual egg whites itself is also very good and is claimed by many to be the best type of protein around (actual egg whites, not powdered forum).

I use whey protein on a daily basis and a few times a week have egg whites.. Both have been fine for me. If your using whey protein stick with that, Whey protein is more than good enough and it wont really make much of a difference between that and other types of protein.

Offline vegaskid07

• Senior Members
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 03:06:16 PM »
All types of of protein are great IMO (except soy, I'd stay away from it) but as for postworkout, whey is definately better 
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Offline mckadetalbot

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »
You guys can correct me if im wrong but I have heard and done a little research, it seems as though most off egg protein doeskin have as many fillers as most whey protein. It is also said that egg protein is a faster absorbing protein which is good for post workout and meal replacement if you are on the go. Whey protein is a little bit slower absorbing protein taking 4-6 hours to fully work. So using whey as a post workout is more than okay but it also does a great job at keeping you full through the night or during the days as a great meal replacement.

Offline jmlstocks

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »
Whey protein's absorption time is 1-2 hours depending on which source you believe, while egg protein is about 2-3 hours so slightly slower.  Whey Protein is richer in Glutamine, Leucine, and Isoleucine, while egg protein has the slight edge in Valine.  Whey Protein is much more cost effective at around .65 per serving where egg protein (the powder) is 1.15 per serving.  Since egg is slower digesting, a case could be made for it as the better meal replacement option as it may keep you fuller longer.  Another reason is for those who are lactose intolerant also may go with egg instead of whey protein.
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313
Decline Bench            433
(with Slingshot-calculated max)   Trap Bar Deadlift 629
Seated Military Press: 220
Traditional Deadlift:    505

Offline Damian

• Banned Doods
Healthy breakfast
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »
Healthy breakfast helps you in refuels your body, and  benefit your overall health. Breakfast gives you a chance to start your
day with a healthy and nutritious meal.  Take more vitamins and minerals, Eat less fat and cholesterol. Avoid the cholesterol,
which may reduce your risk of heart disease
So do not skip breakfast it may be more important than you think.

Offline Arrowsmith

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
The one thing I watch out with egg protein is some varieties really foam up and then, you have your flavored brands and I guess with the additives, the foaming is limited. I personally can take the taste of egg whites once I got use to it.

Offline Rebel29073

• Locker Roommates
Re: Healthy breakfast
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Healthy breakfast helps you in refuels your body, and  benefit your overall health. Breakfast gives you a chance to start your
day with a healthy and nutritious meal.  Take more vitamins and minerals, Eat less fat and cholesterol. Avoid the cholesterol,

random posting...

I met a guy at the gum having stomach/intestinal issues with Whey. I suggested he try Egg protein as an alternative or try a beef protein like carnivore. I also suggested he mix his protein in Water vs. Milk.

JML pretty much nailed it on the head IMO as far as pro's and cons to Egg proteins from my research.  + to my good friend JML of course for his contributions.
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

Offline jmlstocks

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »

random posting...

I met a guy at the gum having stomach/intestinal issues with Whey. I suggested he try Egg protein as an alternative or try a beef protein like carnivore. I also suggested he mix his protein in Water vs. Milk.

JML pretty much nailed it on the head IMO as far as pro's and cons to Egg proteins from my research.  + to my good friend JML of course for his contributions.
Rebel my good friend + back atcha.  I've been been meaning to try some of those beef proteins myself, have you tried any yet?
Lift Tracker:

Decline Bench:           340           Leg Press: 1713 (calculated max)                         Barbell Row: 313

Offline Rebel29073

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
Rebel my good friend + back atcha.  I've been been meaning to try some of those beef proteins myself, have you tried any yet?
I tried carnivore (got it on the one a day special). It is an odd tasting protein indeed but nothing intolerable. I recently added carbo gain into it just to see if it made it more palate-able and it did to a degree. I only used this as my post protein. I have been doing GVT training for 5 weeks and the first 2-3 weeks I had some significant soreness as to be expected when changing any routine. The last two weeks is just like before I changed it up...work hard still and feel little to nothing in the way of soreness a day or two later. I kind of like the soreness it makes me thing I accomplished something at least. 

Protein is kind of like taking multi's and fishoil. I don't really notice anything, but if I am under consuming protein in whole foods and not wasting muscle mass or losing strength than I guess it is working.
A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

Our health always seems much more valuable after we lose it.

Offline jmlstocks

• Expert Reviewer
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
Yeah I hear you on the soreness, I think I might give that Carnivor a try next month, you've peaked my curiosity.
Lift Tracker:

Offline tune09

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:38:42 AM »
i shifted to using egg whites (real egg whites not powdered form) for almost 6 months now because i would like to have a rest on years of drinking whey protein (powdered form). I usually eat at least 6 eggs whites in a day and i observed some changes in my muscle mass, although it does not add up on volume, i noticed that my muscle becomes firmer and defined.

Offline pancake808

• Senior Members
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
i shifted to using egg whites (real egg whites not powdered form) for almost 6 months now because i would like to have a rest on years of drinking whey protein (powdered form). I usually eat at least 6 eggs whites in a day and i observed some changes in my muscle mass, although it does not add up on volume, i noticed that my muscle becomes firmer and defined.

hows the fart factor??? did the eggs thing for awhile but my wife wasn't happy......so i switched back to gaspari whey.

Offline Alexbit

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
I agree with above read that Egg is necessary part of the bodybuilders diet,..and its great to gain size also,..boiled eggs when use with boiled potatoes its great recipe to build muscle fast,..
Prince

Offline rhdmiller

• Banned Doods
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »
as we are discussing about egg protein so what i would say, Egg protein is very rich in quality and it is due to this fact that manufacturers of protein powders often base their products on egg protein. Egg protein contains all the essential amino acids that the human body requires. Talking about the egg white and yolk proteins, it can be said that one large egg contains about 6.5 grams of protein, out of which egg white protein content is about 3.6 grams. But yolk also contains fats and owing to this fact, many people tend to avoid eating egg yolk.
   Nutritionists commonly refer to eggs as the Gold Standard for protein quality. Not only are they easily digested but contain generous amounts of all eight essential amino acids. Eggs are naturally lactose free, so they're a great choice for active individuals who might be sensitive to dairy-based protein powders.ON's Gold Standard 100% Egg takes the value of eggs to another level by virtually eliminating the fat and cholesterol found in whole eggs. Each scoop packs as much protein as 7 egg whites with half a gram of fat and no saturated fat. There’s just 2 grams of carbohydrates in the whole shake.