Topic: Cold Processed Whey Protein???  (Read 8629 times)

Offline joeoftwins

• Senior Members
Cold Processed Whey Protein???
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »
I was just on some companies site and they are saying that if you don't buy a cold processed whey protein you are really missing out on all the other growth factors that get damaged by heat.  Here's an excerpt:

"Let there be no mistake, heat damages protein. Especially whey protein. Heat processing ruptures and reforms whey protein molecules. It's called denaturing, and it makes digestion and absorption difficult.
"Scientific studies show that when heat is used to dry whey protein it burns thousands of cross-linked bonds into the original amino acid structure. When this denatured protein is ingested, the enzymes in your intestines work overtime to break it down. For many, it can be quite uncomfortable. When all is said and done, little protein is actually absorbed and any resulting nitrogen retention is negligible. The worst thing about drying whey protein in this manner is that it destroys highly valuable immunoglobulin fractions.
The facts: Using heat is the quickest and cheapest way to produce whey protein powder
Proteins commonly heat-processed include egg white, lactalbumin, casein and more "big ticket" whey brands than you'd imagine. Some try to pass it off as "low-temperature" drying. We say HEAT is heat. Other so-called whey powders add cheaper proteins to cut costs and the bottom tier are "short processed" ones that legitimately spec out at a scant 50-60% low grade protein and contain loads of fat, lactose and carbs."

Is this true?? And if so who makes cold processed straight whey isolate?  I take Gaspari Myofusion which the label says it cold processes its proteins  but the only problem is that it is a mix of proteins. The IntroPro by them which is straight whey isolate doesnt say how its made.  Anybody have any info on this topic?  
the man who can conquer himself is the true warrior.

Offline bignastyrico

• Locker Roommates
Re: Cold Processed Whey Protein???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 07:10:15 AM »
like u said gaspari, also tempro by dorian yates and my fav protein isolyze by species nutrition. i prefer these types of proteins not only do they taste a little better but they are better for u. i know personally because i have some digestive problems with cheap and unmodified proteins. and anything that was done to it weither  it was hydrolyzed, cold processed, or even pure isolate. its to the point where i cant even drink a concentrate without rushing to the bathroom.
do you want to know the ultimate diet secret? put down the fork! FACE!

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
I completely agree that cold-processed is superior in just about every way. That said Im not a chemist or biologist so I don't know how much superior it is, and if paying the extra arm and let for it is worth it. I did get some tempro on sale and I try to ration it lol. But excluding gaspari (as I don't know much about their proteins) the cold-processed proteins are upwards of $20+ a pound! The ones I'm familiar with are small batch, made by small companies, and it's expected to pay alot for those types of products. With all that said, I'd like to know what others on SR think. I guess I kinda compare it to buying organic (cold-processed) and traditional (normal-heat)... Is the premium worth the price? Side note- I buy organic, so for whole foods I believe it is
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline joeoftwins

• Senior Members
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
@fmrPRO...yeah I eat quite a bit of organic stuff too...Once my kids were born I started getting into that for them. I didn't wanna put a lot of hormones and chemicals in those little bodies.  The site I was on was musclemass.com.  They have some pretty interesting ideas on supps but the protein is very expensive like you said so before I dumped money into it I figured I'd get some input.  I might just stick to the Gaspari Myofusion since its cost effective and tastes great and can the whole whey isolate thing altogether.
the man who can conquer himself is the true warrior.

Offline Soulpatch

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
I would check out the Intek brand. I just finished a 2lb can and it is outstanding. I am not sure it is cold filtered, but it is cross-flow micro-filtered.

Offline kevsworld

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
Those quotes sound like "supplementese"--the unique scientifically-sounding jargon used by supplement companies to say "my protein is better than your protein."  Just get most of your protein from food and supplement the rest with a decent brand.  I like Optimum Whey, but any good brand is going to be OK.

If anyone tells you you aren't growing because of immunoglobulin fractions I can guarantee you he's trying to sell something.
Kevin