Topic: Damaged Shoulder, No Health Insurance, What do I do?  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Mike13

• Senior Members
Damaged Shoulder, No Health Insurance, What do I do?
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
last Thursday I was finishing my tricep workout performing tricep push ups on the handle of a kettlebell during this I felt some cracking on my shoulder (possibly bone) and part of my collarbone but it was not a pop. After this injury I was unable to fully extend my arm out as if I were to punch. The problem here is I have no health insurance and I need to get back to my workout because I am worried about losing my cut, weight, and gains and so on. Should I consider taking a full week off and stick to abs and legs while taking maybe USP Labs Cissus Quad-whatever its called. During this whole week I'll consider icing it daily. I can basically shoulder press up but if I were to do a Dumbell raise its going to kill my shoulder and even doing a pullup? What do you guys think I should do?

Offline Mike13

• Senior Members
Re: Damaged Shoulder, No Health Insurance, What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
I forgot to add that it is on my left shoulder only and the pain is located for example, take your finger on the collar bone from the upper chest and slide it all the way to the top of the shoulder on that pointy bone.

Offline ShyamPopat

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »
Can't you at least get it checked out by a general practitioner? I mean, we kinda know what we're talking about, but not enough to give you medical advice!

Offline Mike13

• Senior Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »
I can talked to a trained when I return to school but I thought I could get some advice from you guys if you had any personal exp. and I was hopin Rich could add to this as I know he mentioned some things about this in some threads but not this injury to be exact.

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
My suggestion would be to take more than just a week off. Take type 2 collagen if you can find it or glucosamine and chondroitin to help with tissue damage. If you feel you can still lift then lift light. Even minor shoulder injuries can turn into major ones fast or can degenerate over time like mine. I had the same feeling 3 years ago and my shoulder just got weaker and weaker over the years until I finally dislocated it because of one unlucky shoulder press. I'm out now for several weeks I'm sure and can't push hard and lift heavy for who knows how long.
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Injury update: not looking good.

Offline Mike13

• Senior Members
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
how long would you say then to rest it? I heard USP labs cissus is good, should I consider that?

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »
how long would you say then to rest it? I heard USP labs cissus is good, should I consider that?

Well honestly the best thing is the collagen if you can find any, and then I dont know what would be second best out of all the other things. I think if you actually rest it for about a week and train legs then get back into upper body workouts afterwards in sets of 15-20, you should be good. I'm no kinesiologist though. That's just what I would recommend. It's also a matter of how you feel after the week off. May be play it by ear slightly. Shoulder injuries are really complicated from what I know.
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »
I have various broken bones and injuries that mess with me.Ive broken my collar bone and dislocated my shoulders before at work,but because I have hurt myself doesnt mean bills stop coming in or that life stops,so I had to find ways to lift without using my main strong points.The swelling would go down and Id figure out something had been dislocated or broken on many occasions,because of this I have to lift completely different with different parts of my body and will never be in proportion,serious injuries are with you forever,id be careful.
Strung out hookers everywhere, have a picnic feed the bears, now nobody even cares In the new America, Nothing in this worlds for free cause everything belongs to me

Offline bignastyrico

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 07:43:16 PM »
jump in front of a car and blame then sew the driver lol
do you want to know the ultimate diet secret? put down the fork! FACE!

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »
Mike13,

You seem to be describing damage to your acromioclavicular joint, (a/c joint).  This is where your collar bone, (clavicle), joins to the acromion process, that projects over the top of your shoulder, from your shoulder blade. 

This is an easy joint to injure, and if it is injured, rest is really the best answer.  Ice for about 20 minutes, 3 times per day, will also help to speed the healing.

Make two fists, and put your knuckles together; that's what the a/c joint basically consists of, two bones that butt together, and are held together by ligaments.  A shoulder separation occurs when these ligaments are torn or damaged, and the two bones comes apart.

If we are dealing with some damage to the a/c joint, then continuing to train is a big risk.  As others have mentioned, it's just far too easy sometimes, for a small injury to turn into a big one, even a permanent injury.  You really don't want that, nobody does. 

If you really need to keep on training, then all of your upper body lifts will have to be light, and you should not be doing any exercises that cause any pain.  Any kind of strain could turn this from a small injury into a big one, instantly.  If it were me, I would stick to light lifting for at least 8 weeks to be safe.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline deeja

• Senior Members
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:34:51 AM »
And boom goes the dynamite.
Jacked and tanned

No fat chicks