Topic: Any way to speed up healing on a pulled muscle?  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
Any way to speed up healing on a pulled muscle?
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »
I pulled a muscle in my back last night overhead lifts.Im doing the heating pad and all that,but I was wondering if theres any certain vitamins or foods I should take more of to speed up the healing process?Anything tricks or tips from any veterans of the workout game?I got epsom salts and hot baths and everything I could think of.
Strung out hookers everywhere, have a picnic feed the bears, now nobody even cares In the new America, Nothing in this worlds for free cause everything belongs to me

Offline MCSyd

• Senior Members
Re: Any way to speed up healing on a pulled muscle?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »
I pulled a muscle in my back last night overhead lifts.Im doing the heating pad and all that,but I was wondering if theres any certain vitamins or foods I should take more of to speed up the healing process?Anything tricks or tips from any veterans of the workout game?I got epsom salts and hot baths and everything I could think of.

If it's a rip or a tear, you should probably go on Celebrex (NSAID).
Not ideal, and might sacrifice muscle size, but will help help it up more quickly.

Otherwise, I'd hit up a good massage therapist.
By tweaking one back muscle, you could be pulling other muscles out of alignment, and a whole domino effect will happen -- can take weeks to sort itself out.
Find a good RMT and ask for "active release" massage, along with "deep tissue" -- both are great.
>Active release moreso if you've hurt yourself.

Cheers.

Offline toolhead

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:29:28 PM »
RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. 

These are your best friends.
Do some research before putting something you cant identify in your mouth.

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
Thanks guys,elevation?Like sit up higher instead of laying down flat on the heating pad?I guess I could tie the heating pad to my back,its just easier to lay down,but its deep in my back and yeah it did cause a chain reaction like it always does,all the areas that are connected to where I pulled the muscle are swelled up from having to overcompensate for the muscle that was pulled.Ive done it before but it was on a different part of my back,this is the first time Ive ever pulled a muscle high up in my back that I can feel all through my back and on top of my shoulderblades.Like If I wasnt so used to hurting myself from years of manual labor and extreme sports id be going to a hospital.My pain tolerance is extremely high anymore,but I cant even take a deep breath without it seizing up on me.Ive got the pain under control with topical icy hot and patches and some good pain killers and muscle relaxers,but I was wondering if like maybe drinking some caffiene and like moving it around and working it out and taking a mega dose of potassium would be smart?Or should I just not move it and let it heal.
Strung out hookers everywhere, have a picnic feed the bears, now nobody even cares In the new America, Nothing in this worlds for free cause everything belongs to me

Offline toolhead

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Dude don't even mess with heat right away. First 10-14 days you def want to apply ice. Then you can start rotating in heat. 20 minutes ice, 20 minutes nothing, 20 minutes heat, 20 minutes nothing. Repeat.

Take it easy and go by feel, You don't want to aggrivate it and make it worse. im a master at aggrivating minor injuries, its just not worth it to keep lifting. Take a week off and if it has felt fine for a few days, start up again, if not, another week off. im dealing with a strained lower back right now and havent ben able to lift for 2 months!!! Im also having to go thru physical therapy. It aint fun, and yeah, it started as a pulled muscle.
Do some research before putting something you cant identify in your mouth.

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 05:31:21 PM »
Oh ok,wow,I havent been using ice at all,alright cool,I just assumed apply heat and get more blood flow to it and it would heal faster.

Offline kevO

• Expert Reviewer/Zombie Deadlifting Crew Founder
  • Locker Roommates
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »

If it's a rip or a tear, you should probably go on Celebrex (NSAID).
Not ideal, and might sacrifice muscle size, but will help help it up more quickly.

Otherwise, I'd hit up a good massage therapist.
By tweaking one back muscle, you could be pulling other muscles out of alignment, and a whole domino effect will happen -- can take weeks to sort itself out.
Find a good RMT and ask for "active release" massage, along with "deep tissue" -- both are great.
>Active release moreso if you've hurt yourself.

Cheers.

'Active Release'
Is that anything like 'Happy Ending'??  ;D
Failure is NEVER an Option.

Patience and Hard Work produces results

Offline MCSyd

• Senior Members
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
HA!
Yeah, all depends on where you're getting your "massage" done, I guess.
If you start laying on your back (instead of your stomach), changes are you're being overcharged and have the option for a happy ending.
;)

Active Release is when they massage & stretch the muscle while you actively move the muscle through a range of motion.
I get this done for my Lats -- I start with my arm above my head and bring my elbows down slowly towards my torso while the RMT releases the muscle during.
Kinda painful, but works wonders.

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Sounds good,I used to have my ex walk on my back for me,and she was a big female dog.

Offline hwk1724

• Senior Members
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »
rest
ice
compression
elevation
lots of fluids
stretching
"Errrrbody wanna be a bodybuilder....But don't nobody want to lift heavy aaaazzz weights!"  Ronnie Coleman

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:30:54 AM »
I've had great results with acupuncture and micro current.  Really speeds healing.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline Abandoned

• Banned Doods
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
right on,I got a few ideas from all the suggestions that I hadnt done yet,thanks for all the help from everyone,sometimes when your life is so busy its hard to remember every little thing about everything.