Topic: digestive enzymes post workout?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Zangief

• Senior Members
digestive enzymes post workout?
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:56:15 AM »
Would it be beneficial to take digestive enzymes post workout? Seeing that is the most optimal time for you to absorb protein. Anyone tried this before?
Fear is your God.

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
Re: digestive enzymes post workout?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:24:15 AM »
Digestive enzymes post workout, can only help id think. They help your body break down and absorb the protein, so post workout would be a great time to take them.

With that said, I'm weary of using digestive enzymes all the time. Here's why: just like many other substances your body eventually gets used to things, and I don't want to be dependent on dig. enzymes to properly break down stuff. This may have no scientific backing or research to support it, but it's just something my crazy mind thinks. If you take DE all the time now, then by the time you'd actually need them (later in life) would you have to take twice as much to properly digest your meal? Just food for thought  ;)
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline ShyamPopat

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »
I personally take a probiotic. Your body doesn't produce bacteria-it just grows in the natural environment there. So there's no fear of your body becoming dependent on probiotics

Offline ruabeyo

• Banned Doods
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »
hmmm... I think Rich Myers explained this before but I forgot...

for me postworkout ..I'm already hungry as hell so whatever I eat gets absorbed ...I personally use a multi-enzyme after a huge meal...such as a 12oz NY strip..it'll help me digest that monster and from experience I've noticed that my body doesn't need added assistance all of the time...
"There is no charge for awesomeness...or attractiveness"

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
I take enzymes with all my big meals and also when I take a full serving of Up Your Mass. I've never taken it post WO as I think whey and dextrose are pretty easy to digest.
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
For maximum protein absorption after a workout, a multi enzyme capsule really makes a difference, along with your post workout protein drink.

Remember that proteins are very large chains of molecules, and not everyone can easily digest them.

Not only will you make better gains over the long term, because of increased protein digestion and absorption, your stomach will feel a whole lot better too.

A supplement that is also a combination of a prebiotic and probiotic is a great idea as well, nourish that internal friendly bacteria, and the massive quantities of food we have to eat, becomes a great deal easier.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline elirugger

• Senior Members
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:33:39 AM »
For maximum protein absorption after a workout, a multi enzyme capsule really makes a difference, along with your post workout protein drink.

Remember that proteins are very large chains of molecules, and not everyone can easily digest them.

Not only will you make better gains over the long term, because of increased protein digestion and absorption, your stomach will feel a whole lot better too.

A supplement that is also a combination of a prebiotic and probiotic is a great idea as well, nourish that internal friendly bacteria, and the massive quantities of food we have to eat, becomes a great deal easier.

Rich,

Any good recommendations for such a supplement?
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Offline Manimal

• Supplement Advisor, Nutrition Major, IIFYM Advocate, IFer, Natural Bodybuilder, Global Moderator,
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »
I take enzymes with all my big meals and also when I take a full serving of Up Your Mass. I've never taken it post WO as I think whey and dextrose are pretty easy to digest.

^^ This.

BullsEyeFitness client/athlete

Too many people accept everything they hear as conventional wisdom. No one wants to question anything.

IIFYM-FTW

Bros will be bros.

Offline Zangief

• Senior Members
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Does it matter if my post workout shake contains beta alanine, creatine, and glutamine? Will those interfere with the enzymes?

Thanks to everyone who answered, I got some good info here. + to all
Fear is your God.

Offline fmrPRO

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:34:47 PM »
I personally take a probiotic. Your body doesn't produce bacteria-it just grows in the natural environment there. So there's no fear of your body becoming dependent on probiotics
Probiotics and digestive enzymes aren't the same if I'm not mistaken

And I'm not surprised that richmyers delivers once again with a quality educated response. Rep'd sir
USPlabs Sponsored CrossFit Athlete
CrossFit Total: 1115
Squat: 410
Press: 180
Deadlift: 525
Goals: IMPROVE & DO WORK

Offline RichMyers

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
elirugger,

Probably the best that anyone can do, is to buy both a prebiotic and a probiotic, and take them at the same time.

But supplements containing FOS (fructo-oligo-saccharides), and Acidophilus would be my choice.

A broad based multi enzyme containing amylase, protease, cellulase, lactase, lipase, invertase, glucoamylase, bromelain, and papain, would be what I would look for.

Remember the "ase" at the end of the word, in biochemistry, it generally denotes some type of enzyme.
Most problems in lifting can be solved by either pulling harder, or pushing harder.

Offline elirugger

• Senior Members
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
elirugger,

Probably the best that anyone can do, is to buy both a prebiotic and a probiotic, and take them at the same time.

But supplements containing FOS (fructo-oligo-saccharides), and Acidophilus would be my choice.

A broad based multi enzyme containing amylase, protease, cellulase, lactase, lipase, invertase, glucoamylase, bromelain, and papain, would be what I would look for.

Remember the "ase" at the end of the word, in biochemistry, it generally denotes some type of enzyme.

Thanks Rich.

I do remember the 'ase' from biology. Ha

Rep'd
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine

Offline ruabeyo

• Banned Doods
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
just started to take the enzyme tablet after my post... Mr. Myers hasn't steered me wrong yet...I was less gassy today *tee hee*  ;D
"There is no charge for awesomeness...or attractiveness"

Offline Manimal

• Supplement Advisor, Nutrition Major, IIFYM Advocate, IFer, Natural Bodybuilder, Global Moderator,
  • Expert Reviewers
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »
I've never been gassy after a post workout shake. For me, that always digests the fastest with no problems. If you are gassy after a post workout shake, you are probably taking in either too much protein or a really low quality protein, or both.
BullsEyeFitness client/athlete

Too many people accept everything they hear as conventional wisdom. No one wants to question anything.

IIFYM-FTW

Bros will be bros.

Offline Durden998

• Locker Roommates
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
I'm with Manimal I've never been gassy after a post workout shake, that seems to be the one that my body sucks up so fast that 30 minutes later my stomach feels empty again
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep
Fear the army of sheep led by the wolf