Fat Gripz

By Fat Gripz
Fat Gripz Fat Gripz
9.0/10
(Weighted average based on 16 Reviews)

Ranks #2 of 35 (better than 97%)
in Other Products > Accessories
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

for what its worth, I give a very hearty thumbs up to Fat Gripz

Ladies and Gents, I normally refrain from writing reviews, but I feel that it would benefit everyone if I shared my experience with this product.

First off, FAT GRIPZ ARE BOSS.

First off, FAT GRIPZ ARE BOSS.

I heard about Fat Gripz through some friends, and then after hearing about them again on this site I decided to hit FatGripz.com and place my order.

First impressions, the Gripz are thick, well made and durable. The design and construction allow them to be used on pretty much every application that I tried them on, and were functional with every exercise that I performed as well. From pull exercises to push exercises, I found myself wanting to use them on EVERYTHING. I found they were particularly useful and effective on DB exercises, namely side raises and curls. The fatter grip forces you to engage more forearrm and grip strength, and for what its worth, I felt I got a better workout while using them.

On press exercises, it took a lot of the strain off my wrists and the weight felt much more centered, if that makes sense. I will admit that it takes a few reps to find the niche, but it is an amazing workout once you hit your stride.

I used the Gripz on tricep pressdowns, lat pulldows, DB exercises, press movements, you name it....and they never ceased to impress me. On top of that, FGZ make lifting your normal weight more difficult, and that ***ed me off so I pushed harder. Oh, and be prepared to feel a pump in your arms, forearms and shoulders unlike any other exercise tool can provide. My hands can crush granite after using these things for a few weeks. I would have loved to havve had these back in the day. If you roll BJJ, Judo, or do any activity that requires a good grip and arm strength (BB or powerlifting are obviously included), these Gripz are something you should invest in.

Another thing to note, they fit every bar I worked with, and even the smaller diameter bars were handled nicely by the FGZ.

They did not compress or slide around at all when I used them, and are easily transferred between pieces of equipment and did not slow down my workout. There are some imitators out there, but they dont come close IMO.

Anyway, for what its worth, I give a very hearty thumbs up to Fat Gripz. Everyone Ive introduced them to now loves them, and I encourage you to give them a shot.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Make You Look Like A Boss In The Gym

Posted November 23, 2011
    For the record, I would almost give these things all 10's, but I think there is always room for improvements. Maybe more texture on the Gripz, or different colors, etc. Either way, they are damn near perfect.

Posted November 23, 2011
    Nice review and much props for bringin back the term BOSS!!!

kris65

Posted November 23, 2011
    AA have you become a rep now for fat gripz??? hahahaha

Great review buddy. +

Posted November 23, 2011
    I represent all things that are good and Holy. ;)

Posted November 23, 2011
    I am about to order some right now after this review. It seems like a no brainer.

Posted November 24, 2011
    These things are amazing! I'm writing my review soon

Posted November 24, 2011
    Also, what do you do for pullups? I find that the fatgripz slip and turn over time as I slowly lose my grip on them (they're slightly too big for my hands but I'm getting used to it).

Posted November 24, 2011
    Pullups are tricky unless your hands fit nicely. Gotta really squeeze them things. I use them more for pull downs than pull ups though honestly.

FlashSunday

Posted November 24, 2011
    Funny how you never write reviews, yet you've done 34 of em ;)

Touché sir. Touché.

Actually, after getting on board with USPlabs I stopped doing reviews of supplelments to keep things on the up and up.

Gkeezy

Gkeezy's Fat Gripz Review

I am not sure how I forgot to review this product, but let me tell you, get ready for some mind blowing stuff here SR members.

VALUE: 8/10 - I got this for a deal on bb.com for $28. Normally it goes for $40. A bit steep until you see how awesome this product really is.

USAGE:...

USAGE: 10/10 - Fairly easy. You just slip these things on the barbell or DB, sometimes I even throw them on cables for added resistance in the muscle groups. They fit most DB's and Barbells.

EFFECTIVENESS: 10/10 - Now I usually do not give 10's in this category, because come on, how can you, nothing is perfect right ? wrong!. This product is off the hook. I will describe the different muscle groups this product is useful for. But before I get into the details please be aware, that with this product, leave the ego at the door. Meaning, don't think that starting off with this you will be doing heavy ass weight. You won't be. Plain and simple. Its going to bring your maximums way way down, but in the long run you will thank these gripz for what they will achieve for you.

FOREARMS: this product simple does what it entails. It hits your forearms hard. You will feel your forearms burning the next day. Because this makes your grip so much wider, where your thumb will not be able to touch your first finger. Using this for just forearm strength is awesome, because bigger stronger forearms means it will help with a ton of other exercises.

My issue has always been that my forearms would hurt when weight was heavy and prevented me from pushing around heavy weights. But after 30 days of this product, I can definitively notice the circumference of my forearms is an inch bigger and much fuller.

BICEPS: This helped me develop bigger fuller biceps. Because you are gripping these things very tight so the DB does not slip out of your hand, it puts more pressure on the actual bicep. But you have to bring the weight way down. Your forearms will burn if you try to use your ego lifting heavy weights and you will downright look like a tool. So bring the weight down and really concentrate on the contraction.

TRICEPS: What can I say, same with Biceps. It really helps me target that particular muscle I am hitting. Which is always a plus.

FORM: For some reason these grips when doing barbell or DB curls helped me have better form. I guess because I was so tensed up from trying to keep my grip on the bars. Excellent for form in my opinion.

Do not use everyday, your forearms will scream and curse at you, guaranteed.

OVERALL: 9/10 - Definitively recommend this to others. It's honestly worth the investment. It will help you improve your grips, help with pain in your wrists and just make your veins pop out trying to grapple the DB/Barbell. Highly highly recommend it.

• Having To Explain What They Are To People At The Gym

WarMachine

Posted July 20, 2012
    I love these babies and I definitely agree with the annoyance of having to explain what fat gripz are to the curious kittens LOL

WarMachine

WarMachine's Fat Gripz Review

I began using fat gripz back in March with the incite that my grip strength needed to be improved. I came across these babies at a local sports accessories shop near my hometown and decided to do some research. After hearing some good reviews on gripz's effectiveness I decided to throw down the cash and pick up a pair. Indeed, I have no regrets thus far for purchasing these bad boys.

How do they work? Fat gripz work by challenging your forearms. This challenge is enabled by the increased thickness the gripz's dense material provides on the barbells, dumbbells, or handles used during specific weightlifting movements. Essentially, you slip the gripz on the barbell, dumbbell, or handles you are using and in return, you create a thicker grip for your forearms to manage. This increased thickness forces your forearms to work harder at maintaining the stability of your natural grasp. The increased demand induces adaptation related hypertrophy in your forearm muscles. The results are stronger forearms and more strength and stability in your overall grip.

Effectiveness (10): I mainly use these during barbell shoulder shrugs, barbell wrist curls, E-Z bar bicep curls, hammer curls, and static barbell holds. Needless to say, the fat gripz create a much higher level of difficulty and forearm demand. The first time I used them during my bicep /forearm training routines, my forearms felt massively tight and pumped. Since incorporating them into my routine, I can definitely say that my grip has gotten noticeably stronger and my forearms are bigger and firmer.

Value (9): The price range for these is about 38-45 dollars. I payed about 38 dollars for mine. Seems a bit on the expensive side for an accessory, but with the results I got from fat gripz, I can definitely vouch when I say that you get what you pay for and then some. Still, shop around for the best price if you can.

Overall (10): Fat Gripz are a superb addition to your arsenal of training equipment. They help you to develop grip strength and forearm muscle mass. This is especially important sine grip is sometimes an overlooked area of training for some athletes. I strongly recommend these for anyone who needs to improve their overall grip strength and stability.

• Bit Pricey But You Get What You Pay For

It is extremely convenient and it is good for warm up sets of pressing exercises

Ingredient profile - 100% pure rubber!
    Mixability - mixes great! Mixes in well in the gym bag.
    Taste - Pretty bad >:|

Okay, okay, enough of the sarcasm.

Ingredient profile - 100% pure rubber!
    Mixability - mixes great! Mixes in well in the gym bag.
    Taste - Pretty bad >:|

Okay, okay, enough of the sarcasm.

I've used fat gripz, fat bars, and things like towels/duct tape over bars since I first started training. I'd recommend fat gripz for any gym goer serious about grip strength. I redneck engineered a fat bar and fat dumbbell handles but I have to be honest fat gripz are a lot more convenient. Slap them on any bar, dumbbell, and most cable attachments.

I'd honestly prefer a fat bar or fat dumbbell handle over fat gripz just because it can be cheaper (I made mine for $20 from home depot) and since I train for strongman, axles are always the same diameter. They won't put fat gripz on implements at the contest! However, I realize most of you cannot bring in homemade equipment to the gym let alone buying these implements retail is ridiculously expensive.

Again it is extremely convenient and it is good for warm up sets of pressing exercises. Makes the bar feel like a pencil, which psychologically is helpful for me.

Personally, training with larger diameter implements, whether it be fat gripz or a fat bar, has improved for all my pressing lifts with a regular barbell. Get a pair.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Convenient
    • Chuck Norris Doesn't Promote Them
    • Bit Pricey But You Get What You Pay For

IRISH89

They help make your workout a bit more challenging

Have been using fat grips now for around 8 months, I bought them because of a lengthy spell of tendinitis in my wrist, read a lot of reviews on how they can help strengthen wrists and forearms so I decided to give them ago, they helped me out greatly was a bit shocked to be honest because i don't buy into any fitness/sporting equipment were they make impossible promises over night,(fell for that before luz) thought i would try my luck with them only out of pure frustration from my weak wrist, and that they offer a full refund if you're not satisfied, it was kind of a last resort. Helped me strengthen my wrist greatly, a lot stronger from what they use to be, they took awhile to get use to but defiantly worth the cash.

Effectiveness 10/10- They were a major factor in helping me improve my grip, forearms and wrist strength dramatically. They help make your workout a bit more challenging; they add 2.25inches to barbells/dumbbells/cable attachments/chin up bars.

Overall -There really easy to use they have an open slit to allow you to push it over dumbbells/barbell/cable attachments/chin up bars, there a great accessory for every gym goer to have especially if you have weak wrists or forearms. I now use them for the last set of every lift to make it that more challenging. Beats the days from warping a towel around the bar when benching.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Very Strong
    • Improves Wrist Strength
    • Improves Forearms
    • Improves Grip
    • Helps With Tendinitis Pain

Forearms even Popeye would love!

I started using Fat Gripz about 6 weeks ago. In my line of work grip strength could be the difference between going home or not. These things are worth trying if you want to improve your grip strength and forearm size.

Fat gripz work by working the poo out of your forearms. This is becouse...

Fat gripz work by working the poo out of your forearms. This is becouse of the increased thickness the gripz's add on to the barbells, db, or handles you use during your routine. All you got to do is slip the gripz over the barbell or db you are using. The increased thickness now forces your forearms to work much harder at maintaining your grip. After the first time using them even the muscles in my hands ached!

Effectiveness: 10/10 It works! Let me say though, don't expect to go with the big weight immediately. Using them will bring your maxes down some, but in the end its worth it. I went from using 90 lb dumb bells for farmers walk without the gripz, down to 65 lb with them and still had a difficult time holding them the first time. Once you go back to not using them, the weight feels very lite!

Convenience: 10/10 Just throw them in your gym bag. Much easier than trying to wrap a towel around a bar.

Value: 9/10 I got these from bb.com for around $30. I've seen the price from $30-$40. Price could be a little better, but they are worth it, just shop around.

Overall: 10/10 Your bi's, forearms, and hands will hate you! Ive used them for curls, farmers walk, pull ups, low rows, shrugs, bench press, just about everything I could. I didnt use them for stuff like power cleans though, for fear of them turning and coming off the bar. The slot needs to face the way the weight is moving, for low rows the slot should be facing you. This keeps them from sliding off, which would make for a bad day!

I have only found one con, and that is EVERYONE will ask you wtf you are using and what they are for. Almost everyone will want to try them as well.

This is only my second review, so constructive criticism is much appreciated.

• Having To Explain What They Are To People At The Gym

irondude

Posted February 2, 2014
      When you start using them they feel a little weird, but once you get use to them you dont want to stop, and every one that ask I just let them try them !!!

Posted February 3, 2014
      Yea was akward at first but they are addicting. Feels weird without them now! The first time I used them was farmers walk and every guy in the gym tried them lol

Fat Gripz are great

Fat Gripz are great. That being said I will now explain why Fat Gripz are effective.

I have not been using the Fat Gripz long but I can already notice improvements in my forearm definition and mass. They are great for curls and wrist curls. But they are really great for anything really. I have not tried them on bench, deadlift or shoulder press or shrugging, because I dont have the grip strength yet to handle the big weight. I have only stuck to arm workouts for them. You can feel the difference in your forearms quickly. I try and put them on any bar or handle I can. They work my forearms great and are great for almost any exercise. 10 for effectiveness

As for the taste I was a little disapointed the blue color had me expecting blueberry or blue raspberry but was more like rubber. Not really Lol at the person who put Bad Taste in the Cons.

Value- I bought these for 39 dollars including shipping from BB.com with some samples. They are really durable and strong. They are high quality and I dont expect them to break or rip anytime soon. The amount of time these things will save you from doing wrist curls is worth the price. Which I dont think is all that high. But if that worries you, you will definitively get your moneys worth after a good couple months of using them. Value is 10. For more money you could get your name inscribed on them which I think is cool. And they do make you feel like a beast with those huge grips. I really like my Fat Gripz.

CamSTL

Posted December 28, 2011
        At 1st I was like, dude... you actually tasted this lol.

BULL

I highly recommend them to anyone who trains

Fat Gripz are awesome :)

I highly recommend them to anyone who trains. I've been using them for about 6 months and have had a very noticeable increase in forearm and upper arm size.

Probably the best $39 I ever spent.
        Fat Gripz are awesome :)

Probably the best $39 I ever spent.

Posted June 2, 2010
          Jeez that's a lot for forearm strength. I just do wrist curls and whatnot.

Sounds great and a lot
          cheaper than buying a fat
          bar or dumbell. Where did
          you find them?

Posted June 2, 2010
          They are for putting over
          the bar right?

Posted June 2, 2010
          Yep, fit over the bars, dumbbells etc. They have a website. If you just google the name it should come up.

Posted June 2, 2010
          Thanks, Bull. I'm interested now.

Posted June 3, 2010
          Sure thing. What type of training are you doing?

Posted June 3, 2010
          How does this thing work? I need to work on my forearms, and few of the things I do at the gym have a positive effect for me. Most of the forearm exercises I do just cuase sharp pains for week.

Posted June 3, 2010
          Hey BIGD321. I dont know the science behind it (I think there's an explanation on the fat gripz site) but basically, it makes dumbells, barbells etc much thicker so your hands and arms have to work much harder to do the same exercises. Sounds strange but it REALLY does work. Made a big difference to my training and my buddy says lots of NFL teams use them which is pretty interesting.

Posted June 3, 2010
          Thanks Bull. I will buy one as soon as possible.

Posted June 3, 2010
          This product is awsome. It sounds like a complete rip off, but it is not. After 2 light workouts with FAT GRIPZ, my forearms were so sore that I could not work out for 3 days. Unbelievable. Make the handles on the bars bigger, and you completely change your workout and gain strength in your forearms and upper arm, too.

Jayke

After using this product for 3 months I have noticed significant gains

After using this product for 3 months I have noticed significant gains in Grip strength and muscular strength in the upper body. It only took one day to notice HOW it WAS going to effect my workouts. I was unable to exercise at my normal capacity due to the grip being expanded. But, that is it's purpose. By expanding your grip, you are recruiting more muscle fibers in the forearm to maintain a good contraction. We have all heard it before. "You are only as strong as your weakest link" In resistance training almost everyone's weakest link is their forearms and their grip. I am a perfect testimonial to this as most of the heavy back resistance training I do is COMPLETE dependent on my forearm strength. By Maximizing my forearm and grip, Fatgripz enables me to allow my back to grow, and my forearms to grow proportionate to the rest of my body. Don't be fooled into thinking that by just forgetting about the Fatgripz and performing your forearms exercises to increase your grip and strength. Do those exercises work? YES! BUT, those exercises are not focusing on the functionality of the muscle. By adding Fatgrips to your workout, you are using the "functional strength" of the muscle not an isolated movement. Honestly I want to hit myself for not thinking of this sooner. It's a No brainer!
          And don't get discouraged if you use the product and feel as if you are working MORE of your forearm than you are say...your back. KEEP USING THEM! Your forarms need to grow and adapt to the girth of your new grip. Once this is done, you will have no doubt already experienced the purpose of this product. And always remember.. If you don't like them.....THEN SEND THEM BACK. Lifetime warranty also. Enjoy.

Pros:
          Cons:
          • Helps With Rotator Cuff Pains.

Virtus

Nice review!

Manimal

Excellent review.

Tdevil

Posted October 17, 2011
            Nice review. What is the grip diameter when you attach the fat gripz? These would sure as hell beat spending $300 on a 2 inch olympic fat bar.

power

These are highly effective, and versatile.

As the other reviews have stated these work great for your grip and forearms. They are very versatile due to the fact that they just wrap around the bar, dumbell, or handle to make a greater circumference. This in turn makes your muscles work harder and also makes you focus more on your form.They fit the whole way around my standard dumbbells but don't go the whole way around my Olympic bar. There is about a half an inch gap left on the olympic bar. I view this as a positive because I have to work even harder as the circuference is even larger.

Another reason they are versatile is that they can easily be brought to a gym. It would be pretty tough to lug around a fat bar and fat dumbbells to the gym if your gym doesn't already have them. If you work out at home they will save you money and space if you don't have a fat bar and Dumbells.

There are some items of safety to go over before using these. The slot opening should face the direction the weight is moving. For example when doing curls the slot should face up and when doing cable tricep pushdowns the slot should face down. If you don't do this then the bar could pop out of the fat gripz and that could be bad news. That brings up the next safety concern and the only reason that I gave these a 9 overall and not a 10. Do not do things like power cleans, other Olympic lifts, or strongman type lifts where the slot opening would face more than one direction during the lift. If you face the slot up for a clean that would be ok for the initial pull but when you rotate the bar and rack it on your shoulders slot would be facing down and would be a concern. Therefore if you want to do those types of lifts you would have to go to a gym that has a fat bar or fork out the money for your own bar.

I have had a fat handled leverage bar for about five years and have been interested in the history of lifting since I was young so the concept and benefits of fat grip lifting is nothing new to me. My leverage bar is limited in the movements that I can do with it and I could't justify spending the money on a fat bar so when I got the fat gripz about a year ago they have unleashed new srength and growth.

When I first got these I did 6 weeks with them for all of my bicep and tricep exercises. I think they gave me tendinitis in my elbow from doing standing tricep presses(French presses). I stopped doing the standing tricep presses with them and my pain has gone away. I am not saying don't do them as it may be my genetics and may not bother you. I have also used them for wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, bent over rows, and bench presses.

Bent over rows were a real suprise as I had to squeeze hard to keep the bar from sliding out of my hands. It feels almost as if someone is trying to pull the bar out of your hands. This is why I think anyone that does combat sports, is in law enforcement, a rock climber, or in the military would benefit from the rows or pulldowns. There were times in football when I would reach for the ball carrier and get a couple of fingers on his jersey almost like a fat griz row. Right now I am in the middle of a 6 week cycle of doing these. After the six weeks I will do them regular for awhile before including the fat gripz again so that I can hit my lats with heavier weight.

The other suprise for me was when I did bench presses for the first time with these. They made me concentrate on form and made the exercise much harder for me. I think powerlifters and football linemen would benefit from doing these. From now on I will probably do a set or 2 of these every couple of weeks when I do benches.

I rate the value of these a 10. I got them as a gift but right now for instance they are advertised at Bodybuilding.com for $38.99. I checked on Ironmind.com for a fat barbell and the price was $229.95. I also looked at their fat grip dumbbells and they were $319.95 for a pair. So you can see why I gave the value a 10. They are also durable as I have had them for about a year and they have not worn one bit, so that adds to their value.

These are highly effective, and versatile. there are many exercises that you can use them for and many ways that you can include them. You could use them for all of your sets for an exercise for a certain amount of weeks, for a finishing set, or some sets every couple of weeks. It is up to you. I highly recommend these for anyone that can pick up a weight.

Posted October 8, 2012
              just ordered mine and I'm so stoked to try them out

Enjoy them.

Posted October 8, 2012
              power, did you know there's also the Fat Gripz Extreme? Regular ones have a diameter of 5.7cm, while the Extreme version has a 7.6cm diameter.
              Might work better on your Olympic bar.

Posted October 8, 2012
              Yes I hope to get the extremes in the future.