Elite Gourmet Protein Reviews

By: Dymatize

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #22 of 65 (better than 67%) in
Protein > Blended Protein

Elite Gourmet Protein is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Dymatize. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.
COMPARE SIMILAR

kroberts9
  July 21, 2011

Ok brothers here is a sweet protein blend that just seems to have a bad rep.
I picked up a 5lb tub of Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein for cheap cheap, so I gave it a shot. I got the cookies'n'cream flavor and it was much better then I thought it would be. This is a fast and slow release protein with a blend of whey concentrate and isolate and Micelular Caseines and Caseinates. This allows that nice release of proteins fast to get to the muscles and slow to keep fueled up for a couple hours till you get some WHOLE FOODS! I used this protein one scoop twice a day once in the a.m before I went to the gym and before bed. Now for the review!!

----------------------TASTE 9/10----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the part that most everyone talks about for some odd reason. The cookies n cream was simply better then expected. It had bits of chocolate proteins and it was very thick almost like a milk shake. I got the best taste when I mixed 8oz skim with 6oz water (don't ask why but it works). I'm pretty open on flavors and try a new flavor but typically I will stick with common ones like chocolate, vanilla and mint. This was the first ice cream type flavor and it made me feel like it was the real thing.

----------------------MIXABILITY 7/10-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a little stumble point for this product. No matter how much straight water or skim even the krob mix of water and milk this stuff always got clumpy. I use a couple shaker cups and even in my tornado cup it still clumped up a bit. Maybe it's the blend they use even though I don't have an issue with my all-time favorite protein MyoFusion which is a blend as well. The clumping will not stop me from reusing this protein it should not stop you either.

----------------------CONTENT 7.5/10-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This again If I was making it would have had a little bit more Aminos into the blend for some muscle building aid. Still this is not a bad protein . it contains only 125 cal per scoop and 21g protein and 6g carbs. The down fall is it does have .5g sat fat and 1.5g fat also a low amount of sodium75mg. could this be better, yes a little bit I would of loved to see less fats and more Aminos, but for the price its fair.

------------------------ OVERALL 7.5/10----------------------------------------------------------------------

For total value to price this is a good deal for a before gym/early morning shake or a before bed snack due to flavor. When I bought mine I got a stella deal on it, 29.99 for 5lb jug. If it was anymore then 35.00 for it I would think twice since there are a few better options out there in that price range. For under 30.00 for 5lbs with 70 servings per that container that comes t o about .55 per serving well worth it. Normal price on this product can range from 31-34.00. it is worth a one time shoot to mix it up a bit.

Ken.r
  • Sat Fat
Wolfhawk46
  March 5, 2015

----Introduction----
Canned Intro Statement (Hmm...what to put in the parenthesis?): MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer through NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently in the military (PTL) and I eat Paleo due to a gluten allergy.

Oh, Elite Gourmet Protein. How I wanted to like you. Your ingredient profile is fascinating and you're pretty cheap. But you just don't compare to Cellucor, or even ON Whey. Cellucor tastes better and the first ingredient is Whey protein Isolate. Optimum Nutrition tastes about the same, but is far cheaper. ISOPURE is more...pure. So what's your purpose in life? I don't know, but I do know I won't buy this protein again.

----Ingredient Profile----8
Eh. There's a lot going on here on this label. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Whey concentrate as the first ingredient annoys me. Milk protein isolate as the first ingredient of the Milk Protein Blend makes me happy. The addition of Casein is nice, though not particularly something I need in a WHEY product. Whey protein has one job, and that's to flood my muscles with quickly available protein. Whey isolate is the best way to do that. I don't really need the casein and the maize and the fiber. Who drinks protein for its fiber content? WTF? On top of that, each 130 scoop only has 21g of protein, get rid of the extra random carbs and put more protein in. That's what people want from their protein shakes...PROTEIN. Stop blending random crap to make your product cheaper, if people want blended crap, they'll buy a product that does a GOOD job of it, not a mediocre job.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----7
The taste is not horrible. That being said, it's not great. It reminds me of the watered-down flavor of ON Whey, even if I add milk. Cellucor somehow makes their shakes taste like Awesome, and Happiness. Dymatize Elite is just...mediocre. Also, the mixability of it is freaking garbage. I don't want weird chunks in my protein when I'm drinking it. This protein mixes like cement, filled with rocks. Cellucor makes a nice clean shake, and even with marshmallow chunks in it manages to be less chunky that Dymatize. Dosing is weak, it'd take 2 scoops to get any actual benefit from this. one scoop gets you 21g of 4 different types of protein, some which absorb fast, some which absorb slow. Then you get 9 grams of carbs, useless in that dosage, and fiber...why fiber!?

----Effectiveness----7
I feel like I've kinda covered under the ingredients section. Sorry about the rant. I want protein isolate from my protein shake. How does 9g of carbs help me after a workout? More protein, less additional garbage. I'd have to take two scoops to get anything of value out of this protein.

----Value----7
It's pretty cheap. Yay...but having to take two scoops of this to get anything of value out of it decreases its value to me. That's all I have to say about that.

----Side Effects----7
I'm tired of typing. I noticed more gas than usual after taking a protein shake. I assume I can blame the "fiber" content of the protein. Fiber...

----Conclusion----7
This product falls directly into mediocrity for me. I will never buy it again. It doesn't taste good. It doesn't mix well. It doesn't have a great profile. There are just better protein powders out there. There are also better Casein proteins out there. There are way better fiber sources and carb sources (take a look at Aftershock.) Or...y'know, eat some gummy bears if you want carbs after your workout. So in the end, this protein powder just can't cut it. Go get some Cellucor or ON Whey. They're just better.
workoutguru
  March 31, 2013

This was my first Dymatize product I had ever tried before. I had been looking at a few different proteins to try but did not want to spend a lot of money but still get a lot of servings in it also. When I buy protein I always go with the 5lb tub. It makes more sense to go with a 5lb tub when you look at price and servings.

Ingredients 8.5/10
The ingredient profile in this I thought was all ok but could be a little better. This has more proprietary blends which I don't have to much of a problem with like some people do. The list of Aminos is not to bad in this. I think they could maybe up the amounts of Aminos in this a little and some of the other ingredients. Overall for a cheaper type protein the ingredient profile is not to bad. I do like that this has both whey and casein protein mixed together in this.

Taste 8/10
I got the cookies & cream flavor. At first I was not real crazy about the taste but after a few days of drinking this I started to like it a little more. This does not have a real strong cookies & cream taste to it. It was a little on the bland side but not to bad. I do wish the taste could have been a little stronger. When I took this I mixed it with water and thought it was good with water. I noticed that when I drank this I would get little pieces of cookie in my mouth that I thought tasted pretty good. I did try this a couple time with milk and liked it a little more but it made it a little thicker when I did that and It made me more full from it which I did not always like.

Mixability 9/10
This mixed up pretty well. I always mix it with water and had no real problems at all with it mixing up. Once in a great while if I did not shake this up enough in my shaker bottle I got a little clumping in the bottom of it but nothing really to bad. Like I said this only happened once in awhile but most of the time it mixed up pretty well. It did get a little foamy when mixed up but nothing to bad. When mixing it with water it never got very thick so it made it pretty easy to drink.

Value 9/10
The value was part of the reason I got this. I got this on Lockoutsupplements.com for $39.95. It said on the label you get 61 servings. It comes out to be about .65 cents per serving which is not to bad.I think if you are able to find a 5lb tub of protein for around $40 is about the cheapest you will find protein now unless you find a site that has it on sale which is really hard to find. The price of protein is one thing I don't like because of the way prices have been going up on this stuff.

Effectiveness 8.7/10
For not being a big high profile type protein I thought it was pretty decent for what I got from this. I felt this helped a lot in my recovery and did not feel as sore when taking this. I feel this help me build a little more muscle and made my muscles feel more full. The one down side I noticed was that it caused me to bloat a bit more in the stomach which I did not like. When I take protein in general I always feel a little more bloated in my stomach and I don't like that. I think this is because of all the extra water I have to drink because of all the supps I am on. I noticed I did put on a little more weight since I started taking this. except for the stomach area I feel this did help me get a little more cut up.

Overall.8.7/10
After taking this I was happy with it. This did what I was looking for in a protein. Do I think there are better protein's out yes but for the price of this and ingredient profile it's not to bad of a protein. I would be willing to try this again but would like to try one of their other flavors. I would recommend trying this if your looking for more of a cheaper protein.
  • Bland Taste
Lorenz0
  February 19, 2011

Elite gourmet is blend of not only whey (fast absorbing) but casein (slow digesting) proteins.

Taste/ Mixibility- (9/10) (8.5/10)

I first tried a sample pack from my local nutrition depot and was hooked from the start. I bought the 5 lb chocolate peanut butter twice and loved it! Peanut butter taste was pretty light IMO but still was great! My only con was a few casein pieces here and their but nothing too bad.

Value- (9/10)

I bought a 5lb tub of this stuff for $27. I used 2 scoops after every workout so it lasted about a month and a half. .77 cents every 2 scoops is a very good deal and worth every penny!

Effectiveness- (9/10)

Any successful bodybuilder knows that no one should rely on protein supplements to meet their over all goals. Your diet should be packed which protein coming from fish, chicken, turkey, and maybe some lean red meat. Also moderate carbs and healthy fats can help you add lean mass.

This product helped me meet my protein needs and also aided in recovery. I was on cut when i used this and with only 1.5g of fat and 6g of carbs this really helped in my overall goals.

Final verdict (lol)- (9/10)

* Overall great tasting protein (chocolate peanut butter)
* Very affordable (around $30 for 5lb)
* Good recovery
* Mix of both whey and casein proteins
Driven2lift
Rep: 0
  January 31, 2014

I picked this up at a fantastic price for 3 tubs, couldn't pass it up. Expectations weren't high for the price I paid but it was definitely not a bad protein.

Mixability was alright, shaking in water did the trick but it was a little more chalky than I am used to from premium powders and clumped if not seriously shaken well.

Taste was very flavour dependant, the simpler chocolate and vanillas were good but the more elaborate flavours I found noticeably unauthentic, the buttercream toffee fell short for me.

Effectiveness: really hard to judge with a protein supplement, as results are over a long time and at the end of the day they all fulfill their purpose if helping hit protein target. Looking at the profile it seems solid. Not many additives, natural colouring, no aspartame, added enzyme blend which I need in my whey. It is also a high % protein blend so good for lean muscle gain or in a weight loss phase.

I don't mind paying more so I will be sticking with other powders but for anyone looking for a well-priced protein supplement that isn't spiked full of carbs, fats, and synthetic additives, this is a great option.
KentMummau
  November 21, 2012

I purchased my 5lb jar at GNC. I chose the product because of the fair price and the blend of Whey and Casein.

I ma writing this review because I did not enjoy the product in the traditional way. It just did not mix nice. I use a shaker bottle for all my protein and creatine drinks and my shakes have always been something I look forward to.

With this product I was looking for lumps. Most of them went down just fine but occasionally I would nearly gag.

I even found some hard tacky like lumps at the bottom of my shaker cup. They usually got caught inside the wire mixing ball I use and I had to dig it out.

As a cheap skate, I decided to not waste my protein so I tried eating one. It actually was delicious. I should figure out how to do that intentionally and turn it into candy.

Unfortunately, I purchased this product for a quick and easy shake, not an exploration into culinary.

That said, I have found a way to use it that has been very satisfactory. I get very hot water in my shaker cup, add a little coconut oil and a scoop of the protein and it makes one of the finest cups of hot chocolate I have ever had. It is frothy even and reminds me of having marshmallow...without the crap that comes with marshmallows.

I have been holding around the same weight for several months so I am happy with the performance.

The product could be improved, should be matter of fact, by making it easier to mix. I have , in the past, mixed my own casein, whey and even beef proteins and never had trouble. That is a bigger hassle but atleast I get what I want when I make my shake.
  • Excellent Combo Of Whey And Casein
  • Good For Home Made Weight Gainer.
  • Horrible Gritty Texture
ratafari
Rep: 0
  October 15, 2012

Long time since my last review. Some background information: I decided to try this protein after running through a 5lbs Elite Whey Protein Isolate because it was cheaper and I was starting classes again, and I had noticed that the fast absorbing whey isolates made me hungry real quick and I was on a low carbs diet, therefore I guessed that the mix of casein and whey would prove right for the moment.

Price: Its cheaper than whey isolates and even cheaper than other protein blends with a great taste. Dymatize Whey Protein Isolates had lived up to my standards, so coming from that brand encouraged me to buy it.

Effectiveness: I took it 3 times a day, and I must say, it did calm down my hunger and craving for food hahahaha. Those extra carbs I was getting from it did have an effect on my overall look but it wasn't really bad or negative I just looked kinda pumped, and I wasn't loosing weight (it was summer) which at the time was important for me due to my dynamic lifestyle of studying like an animal. I used a shaker and there wasn't much clumping so I believe this product has been made with great quality standards and provides what us, consumers, want and expect.

Overall: This protein has made me curious over other protein blends in the market, I'm not sure if I'd prefer a blend or isolates when bulking up but definately for the reason of it being cheaper, good tasting, and providing results I would encourage anyone to give it a try. It worked for me, imagine what it could do for you.
  • Good Amino Profile
    KaiTheChamp
      August 11, 2011

Alright, hope this review will help me kill some times. Here it goes:
    Intro: I purchased this protein on AllStarHealth.com for like $34 or $35-ish, that's pretty cheap in my opinion, especially for the serving size. I'm a college student so any thing that comes in "cheap" would be a great help.

Taste: 9/10. The taste is pretty good, i thought it would be worse since it's so cheap. It actually tastes like Nesquik (however you spell it) to me. Sometimes i would use it to blend my own weight gainer, and if you're bulking try to blend it with Oreo cookies, the taste will be intensely amazing lol.

Effectiveness: It's protein, you can't really tell the differences between different brands. But the good thing about E.G is that i didn't get gas at all. The reason i switched to this was because i was tiring of using O.N for so long. Another plus was that it contains Casein blend in it, a slow protein would be a great help for someone who rarely have time to chow down some steaks like me due to school schedule. Not a bad protein.

Mix: 6/10. Ok, this is the bad part. I don't know if you guys get this but when i mix it in a shaker cup there would be "clumps" laying on top of the surface. It was like the protein wasn't fully mixed or something. Therefore i had to keep shaking it whenever i stop taking a sip. It wasn't that bad, but i guess it would be a problem for lazy people lol.

Price: 10/10. Like i mentioned in the intro. the price was very reasonable for this protein especially for its blend and serving size...that is if you get it online, GNC will charge you like $70 for a tub. Crazy.

Outro: Well, i guess that's all i have to say about this product. It's not a bad protein, but i don't think it's very ideally for post workout since it doesn't have hydro. whey (that would be awesome if it doesn). So if you're on budget, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed. That's all i have for now. Peace!
    • Excellent Combo Of Whey And Casein
    • Good For Home Made Weight Gainer.
    bdiamond
    Rep: -47
      February 23, 2011

This is a good protein if you're looking for something quick and easy. I've had several of their flavors so I feel I can give a pretty good view of this product. This is a whey and casein blend so be aware, I generally prefer isolates. One thing I noticed about all the flavors of this protein was that the taste is very subdued. This may be good or bad depending on your personal preference. However, if I get a chocolate peanut butter flavor, i expect it to taste like it (it didn't taste like anything). For the price this is a good protein, but if you pay a few bucks more you can get something better.
    • Bland Taste
    gobey
      February 5, 2011

I recently starting buying whey and casein blends for post workout shakes rather than buying the two kinds separately and mixing them on my own.

While their are many different time release multiple blend proteins I stick with Dymatize elite gourmet for the price alone.

It has a great whey casein combo for a quick shot of fast digesting protein and some slower releasing protein as well to continue to feed your muscles throughout the day. This can also be taken at night if you don't have straight casein powder.

The taste (milk chocolate) is very good and it also mixes very well with water or milk.

My only complaint is that for a 30g scoop it only has 20g of protein. But for the price I'll accept it.

Definitely recommended to anybody needing a cost effective time release protein.