Muscle Milk

By Cytosport
Muscle Milk Cytosport
7.2/10
(Weighted average based on 114 Reviews)

Ranks #61 of 67 (better than 9%)
in Protein > Blended Protein
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

I3CAA

I wouldn't try this protein again

This is my first review so please bare with me:

Cytosport's Muscle Milk.

Muscle Milk claims:
*Miscellar Proteins (Stimulate Muscle Synthesis)
This is my first review so please bare with me:

Cytosport's Muscle Milk.

Muscle Milk claims:
*Miscellar Proteins (Stimulate Muscle Synthesis)
*Leanlipids ("Designer" fats- Promote Leaness)
*Lactoferrin (Increase in oxygen Delivery)
*Complete Caseins, Peptides, etc (Trigger new growth)
*Growth Peptides (Boost Nitrogen Balance)

- Overall, I expected a bit more from this particular "Muscle Milk" as it is all the rage being "America's favourite protein drink"...Not likely. I did buy it for 52$...a 2.47lb tub.. (1120g) how's that for pricy? This isn't a bad product, don't get me wrong, but you should really get what you paid for, and I feel cheated.

Taste: (10/10) WOW! This tasted like a really milkshake, with 12oz or (300ml) water with ice cubes I thought by FAR this is the best tasting protein shake out there! Sometimes, I'd spoil myself with adding low fat milk too it before bedtime as milk as natural caseins it which would prevent catabolism for longer. Anyway, this protein shake felt like a chocalate milkshake minus feeling guilty! (I got chocalate if you hadn't figured out :) haha)

Mixablity: 8/10- I used a blender, but one time I mixed it with a shaker and there were clumps, but no biggie, I shaked it for about 20seconds more and the clumps that were there were now non-existent.

Value: 5/10- This is really where the product takes a fall for the worst... 52$ for a 2.47 lb tub? It only has 16 servings a tub, and I would take two a day, in the morning, and before bed..So I finished it in precisely 8days! That's ridicolous!

Plus, the directions to take Muscle Milk are to take before & during workouts, after workouts, and prior to bedtime- that's 3 servings a day. At the MOST it'll last a week if you follow those specific intructions... (Just a tip, some companies make the serving sizes HUGE, so you use up the supplement faster, such as Mass-Tech, when taking the directions as said on the tub, you'll end up finishing it faster than expected, this is a marketing stratedy for you to spend more on their particular product- TIP: Half the servings)

3.25$ PER SERVING? I think i'll save my money next time...

Plus, the amino acid profile is not the best, recovery was mediocre with this product too, there are ALOT of better proteins out there, invest in pro-complex, or any protein from Optimum Nutrition, they have QUALITY proteins.

Here are the ingredients for Muscle Milk (The new advanced formula w/fiber)

Amount of calories per serving: 300.
Calories from fat: 110 ( Still too much)
Total Fat: 12G!
Saturated fat: 6G
Cholestrol 15mg
Total Carbohyrdate: 16g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 32Grams

+ Vitamins A,C,D,E

Overall: I wouldn't try this protein again, but I mean, it wasn't horrible! It was mediocre but it won't go down as my most favourite protein shake in the world, the taste will always be remembered...

Quick Summary:
*Value- Not good.
*Effectiveness- Mediocre
*EXPENSIVE! - Save your money. (Buy pro-complex or any protein from Optimum)
* 32Grams of protein each serving
*Builds muscle...But thats what all protein shakes are supposed to do, and at this price, you don't get what you paid for.
*A rip-off for newbies, look up Optimum.

Unfortunately, this product gets a (5.55/10)

• Rip Off!
  • Save Your Money- Invest In Optimum.
  • Loss In Definiton

ruabeyo
(-111)

Posted November 27, 2010
..."This is my first review so please bare with me"...

Bear with what bro?

This is an excellent review!!! Thats is exactly how us folk like 'em.

Now... $3.25 a serving!? You might as well just by them out the fridge from your local cornerstore or gas station...WOW!!! that is ridiculous.

Keep 'em coming.. for a first review you have set a standard for yourself...Good job!!

Thanx alot man!:)

Posted November 27, 2010
wow u payed way to much for the mm. did u get it from gnc or something they really ripped u off. it is not that expensive and r u saying u would treat yourself to a delight with milk? r u like trying to stay down with the calories?

Posted November 27, 2010
No, I normally just used to have it with water, so sometimes I'd treat myself to having it with milk, cause it tasted much better that way:) but with milk there would be more calories. Don't get the misconception that I'm trying to lose weight, my goal is to put on LEAN SOLID MUSCLE, I'm 69.4kgs 173cm 12% BF. Look me up on BB.COM:)

Posted November 27, 2010
yes so if ur trying to bulk the reason to have it with milk is for the cals. and this product sells for about 22.50 for a 2.47 lb tub at other places. so its not really a bad value. Next time bro if ur gonna buy this again get it online or at vitamin shoppe

Posted November 28, 2010
Unfortunately man, I live in South Africa, the price is 389.99 Rand here, convert that into dollars- so i'm not as lucky as you. And who said I was bulking? If I was bulking I would have bought Serious Mass, True Mass, Real Mass, or something along the line of a "Weight Gainer" - This is as it states on the front of the tub "Ultimate Lean Muscle Formula" so unless they laid to me and made this a bulking product, then you're just talking out your whizway- think about what you're gonna say before you post it. No offence.

Posted November 28, 2010
Good review! Wow that's a lot of money for muscle milk. I personally love muscle milk, and between it an hard work I've put on around 27lbs in the last year and a half. Luckily being in the states I have never paid more than $19.99 per tub. (i catch it on sale and stock up)What do other brands like ON run in South Africa?

Posted November 28, 2010
Great review, I bought it once at GNC a long time ago, but I bought 2 tubs for like 60 somthing bucks, they had a deal on it, but I will not buy again; however, it is the best tasting protein milkshake in the market.

Posted November 28, 2010
Great 1st review but you'd be better off goin to mickey-d's and gettin a milkshake,same amount of sugar and fat probably

Posted November 28, 2010
ur trying to gain muscle which ur not going to get by getting so u would probably be bulking.

Posted November 28, 2010
you sir wrote a great review and you get a pos rep haha :)

Posted November 29, 2010
Thanks alot guys means alot:)

Posted November 29, 2010
Great review to you also brother. You keep em coming to!

Posted November 29, 2010
Oh and did you have another profile name like Dooley or something?

YEAH! Talk later man:)

Posted November 29, 2010
Yeah I forgot his password..dude .. haha :) funny story.. I'm writing a review on Serious Mass later:-) check it out!

Trev

Overall this is a great protein for teens just starting to workout

My first review so bare with me on this.

Taste 9/10 I bought mocha latte and chocolate both were very tasty and easy to take down. Mocha Latte was more of a cappacino taste and Chocolate was spot on in taste.

Mixing 8/10 Mixing in a shaker was not very good as it clumped...
My first review so bare with me on this.

Mixing 8/10 Mixing in a shaker was not very good as it clumped up badly if not shaken very firmly. But with the tornado mixer or blender it was the smoothest shake i've had in milk or water.

Value 8/10 I bought this as it was on sale in GNC 2.5 pounds for 30 bucks and then buy 1 get one half off so i ended up paying 45 bucks for 5 pounds. Not to bad. A good deal at GNC for once.

Effectiveness 8/10 Over the course of me taking this i went from about 160 to 170 mostly muscle but also some fat as i didn't have my diet in check.

Recovery 8/10 I could feel a difference in soreness after taking this when i woke up the next moring but still had some. But as soon as i added some glutamine to my shake i would wake up with no soreness at all even when i started a new more brutal routine.

I have recently seen great results with this when i added the glutamine to my shakes. It added good size and strength pretty quickly for me.

Overall this is a great protein for teens just starting to workout. It will add good mass and strength gains. But for people who have been at it for a while there are better proteins out there. It really is only good for beginers because it only has 16 grams of protein per serving so the bigger guys are gonna have some trouble building a lot of muscle on this. But seeing as i am a beginer it worked great for me.

• Not Enough Protein

Posted January 20, 2011
Very good first review,but its 2 scoops per serving which is 32grams of protein and 300 calories+rep ya

Posted January 20, 2011
Yeah I just remembered that my bad. One of my tubs said a serving was 1 scoop. Then the other said 2 scoops a serving.

Posted January 20, 2011
No problemo bro,I'll be watching for more reviews from you,btw what glutamine are you using?

SciFit Glutamine Power

*powder

Posted January 21, 2011
Thanks

Posted January 21, 2011
No Prob.

I recommend this product if you are not trying to use a weight gainer

Muscle milk is a solid product.

Some key ingredients:
Carbohydrates
Whey Protein
Glutamine...
Muscle milk is a solid product.

Some key ingredients:
Carbohydrates
Whey Protein
Glutamine
Some vitamins

Overall effectiveness: 8/10
Muscle was a good fit for me and my workout routine, i staked it with Kre-Alkalyn 1500, Animal Pak, Animal Stak, and jack3d. Muscle Milk helped me with building muscle,which I gained around 4-5 solid pounds of muscle. It tasked amazing, i would honestly could drink it as a shake just relaxing around the house. I took it with milk, i rarely ever used water, i hate the taste with water but that's just my opinion. I took three shakes aday two scoops, and went through about to full containers in a month.

Mix ability: 9/10
I would put two scoops of muscles milk in my shaker cup first then fill it full with milk. I never had a problem shakin the Crap out of the shake. I rarely had clumps unless i mixed it in a normal household cup which i would stir it with a spoon. When i would use my blender it would come out incredibly smooth!

Price: 7/10
The price wasn't to bad which was around 45 dollars or so for a 5 pound container. i Purchased two containers had three shakes a day for a month strait. What started to add up for me it felt like was all the milk i used a day, i felt like i was buying a carton of milk every few days. oh well it was well worth it!

To sum it all up:
My Muscle Milk had some assistance with the other product i was taking,but anyways almost all of my max's went up around 15-30 pounds. Let me just say Diet is key, don't expect crazy gains if your eating at MC Donall's not taking in enough Calories proteins etc. Good luck with your lifting and i Deff. recommend this product if you are not trying to use a weight gainer :)

• Helps With Max

Posted January 15, 2011
    Spelling is a little bad sorry about that guys.

The taste wasn't too bad but tasted a little metallic

A great protein. I used this mainly as a meal replacement or a before bed snack. The taste wasn't too bad but tasted a little metallic. I had the cookies and cream flavor. I loved how there was 6g of saturated fat in each serving, but it's made up of triglycerides which are used as fuel for the body meaning there was virtually no fat storage at all. It can also be used before bed as well. Just a great multi-purpose protein plain and simple.

GodofSerbia1's Muscle Milk Review

I felt compelled to write this review after seeing some 'experts' slam Muscle Milk. Muscle Milk has been a staple of my supplement routine for over 5 years. I will be reviewing MuscleMilk Chocolate today, the 4 lb tub, which I purchased 2 tubs for less than $30.

**Let me just throw...

**Let me just throw out that while I am writing this review I am slamming down my 'Morning Starter' shake which is 1 1/2 scoops Muscle Milk Chocolate, 1 cup coffee, 1 cup milk, teaspoon of sugar**

The 4 lb tub stats:
      -Flavor: Chocolate
      -Serving size: 1 scoop
      -protein per serving: 16 g
      -types of protein: Casein and Whey for instant and time-released protein absorbing.
      -carbs per serving: 9 grams
      -huge amino acid profile

I took Muscle Milk Chocolate as followed:
      -1 scoop before my workout mixed with creatine and pre-workout. **the carbs mix well with the creatine and l-arginine and help with giving you a sustainable energy throughout your workout**
      -2 Scoops after my workout. I just love the taste so much when mixed with milk.
      -1 scoop before bed mixed with milk.

Conclusion: MuscleMilk Chocolate mixes pretty well but just tastes SO GOOD that it is super convenient. It is great for not really replacing meals but getting you through class or work after a workout. I believe ISOPURE or 0 calorie whey Isolate proteins are BULLS*** and don't work. I love a protein with some carbs and some calories to really help me get an extra energy boost before workouts and to recover after workouts. The mix of Casein (time-released muscle feeding protein) and Whey(instant released muscle feeding protein) combines for a great overall protein that is EXTREMELY VERSATILE. All-in-all most proteins are the same and don't really work all that well but MUSCLE MILK IS THE BEST MIDDLE GROUND PROTEIN BETWEEN A 0 CALORIE ISOLATE AND A WEIGHT GAINER SHAKE!

Definitely great for all athletes too!

Also, Costco is the place to get your Muscle Milk!

Fair and Honest,
      GodofSerbia1

• Healthy
      • Awesome With Milk!
      • A Bit Pricy

Posted April 6, 2012
      I agree overall. It is a decent product but at the price you pay, you might as well ball out a little more for personalized high quality products

josh29

The taste is excellent

I've used Muscle Milk on and off for years. I've tried other protein powders and they just don't measure up to MM. Yes there are better proteins out there. But when you include the cost of all these products MM works for me. The taste is excellent!! I haven't tasted a better shake. The calories and fat are up there...but i just watch what else i'm eating through out the day so that i can have MM. So for all of you that want a great tasting effective protein....and your still a million dollars shy of a million dollars....give MM a try.

Posted September 10, 2010
      I definitely agree with you about everything, especially the taste! I think initially that was the most surprising thing. Chocolate, and the Chocolate Malt are my two faves.

bristol

Best tasting protein on the market, that also works damn well.

I have been through dozens of tubs of musclemilk chocoalte flavor over the years... What can I say? It is delicious and it does the job.

While musclemilk is not the most Pure Protein on the market, it tastes...

While musclemilk is not the most Pure Protein on the market, it tastes so good. When I am bulking, I have been known to have 3 shakes a day.

Also, musclemilk has some slow acting protein in it, so it is a good (while not as ideal as casein from Optimum in my opinion) protein to take before you go to sleep.

Selling point: best tasting protein on the market, that also works damn well.

Con: a bit pricey for the amount of protein you get in the small tub.

• High Carbs/fat

Taste good but didnt do anything for me

does not work at all! taste good but didnt do anything for me! would never tell anyone to us this. good for just starting out lifting but for more advanced people dont buy this product

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tastes Great
      • Good Beginner Protein.
      • Garbage.
      • A Bit Pricy

Manimal

Posted May 17, 2010
      I agree. I personally thought the taste was a little gritty but the aminos are wayy low and it is not fast digesting what so ever because it is a milk derrived protein which is about 92% casein if im not mistaken. Not to mention the massive amounts of fats and sugar it contains. I put up a review for this very similar to yours and i got dissed for it but i have been taking protein supplements for quite some time and this one was by far the worst and i have heard competition body builders say the same.

kohdii

This product tastes AMAZING

As usual, I will start with an introduction. Notice for effectiveness and overall I rated a 7. DO NOT take these ratings to heart too much because this product is a complete hit or miss depending on one's goals.

Taste - Lets get this out of the way. This product tastes AMAZING!!...

Taste - Lets get this out of the way. This product tastes AMAZING!! I got chocolate and I've bought chocolate every time I have purchased this and will continue to get chocolate. It tastes like chocolate milk/a milkshake. The texture is kind of gritty but in a good way. It will not bother you at all.

Side effects: This product WILL most likely cause gas of some sort. It is a cheaper protein source and does not absorb as well as others and may even give you diarrhea. Be warned.

Results: This product should be taken as a Meal Replacement NOT POST WORKOUT. The fat and carb content do not make it an ideal post workout shake. The fat content is 12 g total fat and 6 g sat fat. 80% of the sat fat is said to be MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and are claimed to not contribute to fat storage. Take that with a grain of salt/believe what you will but I would not recommend this product for post workout ever.
      This product gets a bad rep for being "too fattening" but if these lifters were the "seasoned" lifters that they are, they would realize after one glance at the label it is not good for post workout but rather a meal replacement.

Value: Horrible value almost anywhere you shop. GNC, BB.com, etc all have it for about 50 bucks for a 5 lb tub. This is over-priced for the quality level of this product and you are better off buying Pro Complex for that price tag.

Stacked with: Size on, NO Shotgun, ON gold, Multi vitamin, Monster Amino. This shake was used SOLELY as a MRP.

Overall I would recommend this if you have deep pockets and want to bulk or need a tasty MRP but honestly there are much better options and you are paying for the taste and the popularity behind the name "MUSCLE MILK."

• Pricy

Posted April 25, 2010
      Agree not a postwork out protein. I see to many people say they use it after they work out. Its for bulking.

dammit

Lets just say this is my favorite tasting of all the protein powders out there

To start, lets just say this is my favorite tasting of all the protein powders out there. I have tried dozens of proteins in various forms and this powder or RTD is worth every penny as far as taste goes, IMO. It is certainly not a light drink as it packs over 300 calories per 2 scoop serving and has way more fat than other drinks, however the fats are reported to be lean lipids which won't store as fat and may potentially help burn fat (jury still out on this one). I will say that it makes an excellent addition to a bulking diet as the fats will help slow digestion and uptake and the protein blend allows for longer periods of anabolism. It is not nearly as good of a blend as Pro Complex and costs just as much or more per serving, but the taste makes it hard to stay away from. In my arsenal of supplements, this feels like cheating. I don't recommend this for people cutting, nor for those looking to use this post-workout due to the fat content, but for the average individual looking for a great tasting, thick, shake, this is a good one to look at. Just be sure your diet plan will accommodate the calories and fat. One last point, this is also (by far) the best tasting protein mixed in water. Although most will recommend water or milk, this would probably be too thick in milk and the taste and texture was spot on in water alone so I never even tried it in milk.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tastes Great
      • Pricy