Home > Categories > Bodybuilding > Muscle Formulas > Cytosport > Muscle Milk

Cytosport Muscle Milk

Muscle Milk Cytosport
Expert Rating:
User Rating: (113 Reviews)

Review Authenticity: 71% (Ambiguous)

Compare Similar Products:

Users who liked this product also liked:

USP Labs Jack3d Reviews
Jack3d (1006 Reviews)
BSN NO-Xplode Reviews
NO-Xplode (356 Reviews)
6.9
Cytosport Monster Milk Reviews
Monster Milk (48 Reviews)
Gaspari Nutrition SuperPump250 Reviews
SuperPump250 (250 Reviews)

Products in the same category:

Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion Reviews
MyoFusion (178 Reviews)
8.9
BSN CellMass Reviews
CellMass (104 Reviews)
ProMera Health Con-Cret Reviews
Con-Cret (64 Reviews)
USP Labs Anabolic Pump Reviews
Anabolic Pump (64 Reviews)

Related Forum Topics

Pretty cool bar from CytoSport Muscle Milk
Was in the gas station and picked up a protein bar by MuscleMilk and I thought i...

Muscle Milk RTD $22.99 at Costco
About a week or so ago I was in Costco and saw they are now selling Muscle Milk ...

Coming soon Muscle Milk Pro 50 by Cytosport
I just saw that Cytosport is coming out with a new protein called Muscle Milk Pr...

Mixing Pro Complex & Muscle Milk. What do you think?
Ive been using pro complex for a while now and LOVING IT! just picked up a jug ...

Muscle Milk and Myoplex and others (Good and Bad)
My VERY first tub was a tub of Muscle Milk, I loved the flavor and I have gained...

New Muscle Milk ingredients label: Anyone noticed?
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but, Muscle Milk recently changed a...

Muscle Milk based on Human Milk?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5Z4R3UQCc&feature=youtube_gdata_player Tho...

Costco Muscle Milk
Hey Guys anyone tried this stuff? Ive used it for 6 months already and I due lik...

Get Involved!

Confused about Supplements?

FREE 7-Day Supplement Crash Course:

Description

Muscle Milk is one of the most versatile and popular protein supplements on the market today. It contains a high quality protein blend and an impressive amino acid profile. One of of the selling points is the inclusion of the fat blend that has been scientifically backed to help promote fat burning and muscle growth. While this is a good blend for between meals or a pre-workout meal, it is far from an ideal choice for post workout.

Muscle Milk Nutritional Info and Supplement Facts on: Links open in new window
Muscle Milk Reviews:
Pros:
Cons:
  • Tastes Great (75)
  • Builds Muscle (62)
  • Good Beginner Protein. (48)
  • Good For Bulking Or For Meal Replacements (40)
  • High Calories (29)
  • High Carbs/fat (26)
  • Not Enough Protein (24)
  • A Bit Pricy (22)
February 9, 2011

Reinger

Reviews: 42

Age: 31

February 9, 2011
 Absolute best tasting protein out there with a wide variety of flavors. Find deals online and it can be well worth the price tag. 32 grams of protein per serving, and do not be scared away by the fat content. These are healthy fats. for optimal results I use this as a morning shake or late evening, and use Monster milk for my post work out shake. Cyto Sport all the way for great tasting, high quality products. Just make sure you shop around for your best value.
mendoaa056
mendoaa056

Joined: 11/2011
Reputation: 0
Isn't it 32 grams of protein pertwo

February 16, 2010

Age: 19

February 16, 2010
 Have taken lots of Muscle Milk in my day. Mostly in my highschool days. Have gotten no results or muscle gains from Muscle Milk. its garbage for sure and you are a Newb in weight training, supplements, and diet all together if you say different. The nutrition label says it all. I was very surprised at how bad the taste was considering its all fat and carbs and sugars like BSN syntha 6 (Which is garbage too but very tasty). If you want real results from real Protein powders, Go with GNC amplified Wheybolic or pretty much any Protein from Optimum Nutrition.
    • Pricy

Joined: 3/2009
    Reputation: -1
    You have taken lots of Muscle Milk in your day? If you had no results, why did you keep taking lots of it? Doesnt make sense to me

Joined: 3/2009
    Reputation: -1
    If youve taken lots of it and thought it was garbage, why did you keep taking it?

Reputation: +3478
    Please take the time to look at the lables and match the aminos, fats, and sugars with any of the Proteins i listed. Aminos is where its at when it comes to recovery.

Reply #4:
    matt77h
    matt77h

Joined: 3/2010
    Reviews: 21
    Reputation: +50
    I agree with BEASTIE. Everyone is different and you may not of responded well to it. I do agree about the BCAA content though when compared to other products. AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 is great Protein.

Reply #5:

Joined: 12/2011
    Reputation: +89
    Because muscle milk is a meal replacement made from a calcium caseinate. Not good for post workouts such as a hydrolyzed.

Reply #6:

@Angie:
    Do you honestly think I didn't know any of this? This was one of my first reviews written almost 2 years ago on the Original muscle milk that was all fats/sugars. This stuff was awful upon it's arrival into the industry and now after 2 or 3 re-formulations, i'm still not a fan of it.

You know what's good post workout? Food. I don't even use shakes anymore unless I really don't have time for food but food should always be eaten over protein powders.

If you really wanna get into the bro science that you spatted out, in the latest "bro research" it shows that a whey isolate combined with casein is best post workout, not pure isolates.

Reply #7:

Joined: 12/2011
    Reputation: +89
    Oh my lol.

I'll leave that one.

Can't respond to you message as I don't have the proper credentials to respond to PMs hun.

Reply #8:
    Metallover
    Metallover

Joined: 11/2011
    Reputation: +6
    I thought this was stuff was good, so i bought another tub. Now i keep seeing all these bad reviews, i heard theres all types of random garbage in this stuff, im finding it hard to find a decent protein that doesnt burn a hole in my pocket, the guy at gnc said i should try the wheybolic stuff next time i might do that, thanks for the review

Reply #9:
    Antell32
    Antell32

Joined: 4/2011
    Reputation: +73
    You seeing no results has nothing to do with the fact you were drinking muscle milk. Building muscle takes a lot more than a post workout shake. This stuff is high in fat, however a lot are MCT which you do not store. Muscle milk is just fine post workout because you need more than just protein and casein/whey combo is the most beneficial. Find a protein that is economical and fits the nutritional standards you are looking for, but don't over think it. Training, nutrition and sleep are the 3 most important in the muscle building process.

Reply #10:

Reputation: +3478
    Yea, I sorta figured that out since I wrote this in 2009.

I don't do post workout shakes anymore. I just meet my macros. That's really all it comes down to.

Reply #11:
    mhurford
    mhurford

Joined: 8/2012
    Reputation: +1
    show manimal some respect. he has done great reviews for years. and muscle milk is known for causing cancer due to fake sugar content in the protein (i know i'm gonna get negative feedback from this but meh.) you may say you can't get anything different from this product that you could fromany other product. however, Muscle Milk is the leading brand in using the most fake sugars in their protein (google it and use the site you trust, they all say it) high amounts of fake sugar in protein can cause permanent damage to the liver. My coach back in highschool told all wrestlers to stay away from muscle milk because in Division I college wrestling it was actually banned due to the bad contents.

Reply #12:

Reputation: +3478
    Antell actually stated a few good points. He just didn't check the date of the review and my recent posts to conclude my current views on the matter.

By fake sugars, do you mean sucralose and artifical sweeteners?

I've seen a few write ups on heavy metal content in MM but nothing peer-reviewed. As far as artificial sweeteners go, they aint so bad. We don't consume them in high enough amounts to make a significant health dilemma.

Reply #13:
    NoCielings
    NoCielings

Joined: 12/2010
    Reviews: 10
    Reputation: +134
    Lol I bought some muscle milk today just to finally see what all the drama is about.

Manimal, what food do you usually consume post workout?

Reply #14:

Reputation: +3478
    Whatever I'm craving. Had mexican yesterday.

December 4, 2013

Massivemouse

Reviews: 6

Age: 29

December 4, 2013
    delicious

This is the best tasting protein I have ever had. I have gone through tons of protein and as a treat I will buy myself a tub of this. I never use it as my main protein. Price per serve is not very good. the quality is not very high and it is loaded with fat and carbs. But if youd like to have a second protein on hand for a cheat meal or something along those lines pick this up. Tastes like a yoohoo milk shake only with protein. I would take 7-8 grams off the top on protein count just from shipping and pure quality. but you are paying for taste.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Awesome With Milk!
    • Helps Promote Good Health
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Tastes Great
    • Not The Best Value
    • High Carbs/fat
    • Pricy
    June 28, 2013

Age: 26

June 28, 2013
     One of the best tasting proteins on the market, yet one of the worst proteins on the market! lol Too many calories, high carbs for protein powder, only 32 grams of protein out of the whole 70 gram scoop. That's about a 40-50% protein per scoop everything else is junk really. Dongt invest in this, it's just that simple.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    • High Carbs/fat
    • Not The Best Value
    lava135
    lava135

Joined: 2/2012
    Reviews: 81
    Reputation: +3567
    "one of the worst proteins on the market" yet "good beginner protein"

Nony
    Nony

Joined: 1/2013
    Reviews: 12
    Reputation: +265
    It depends on your goal to decide if you should invest or not

Joined: 6/2013
    Reputation: -2
    Well for someone thats just starting out this is an OK choice! I mean if your a beginer im sure anything might work but for us that have been training for a while and have our nutrition down, no this product is one of the worst!

June 6, 2013

Sycoholic

Reviews: 9

Age: 38

June 6, 2013
    Different

So I've tried so many brands of protein powder I figured what's one more. I went to GNC expecting to get a tub of Syntha6 orange smoothie. Instead I bought the Muscle Milk. I like orange smoothie so much I figured I'd see if Muscle Milk has a superior taste, that and I'm a little tired of the 200 calories a scoop of the Syntha6. I supplement a lot with whey protein so the calories rack up fast.

So onto the review. It smells phenomenal. I was eagerly anticipating the taste that was associated with this aroma. Now, understand I mix all my whey with ice water. Having said that, I found the taste to be acceptable, but not a good powerful orange taste. Where the Syntha6 tastes just like an Orange Julius, the Muscle Milk seems weak and maybe like a melted orange ice cream flavor. The texture isn't great either. It's a bit chalky in consistency. This is most likely due to calcium caseinate and sodium caseinate being the top two protein ingredients. They tend to be chalky but I do think Cytosport did a great job of covering up for it. Next on the ingredient list is whey isolate. So right off the bat you see the majority of the protein content is good, high quality protein. I'm a little discouraged though at the lower than normal per scoop protein content. That the calories are 150 per scoop it's not terribly bad though.

The taste isn't horrible, the protein make-up is top notch, it's easily found even at WalMart, they have tons of flavors, the price is acceptable, and it mixes easily with a blender bottle. I haven't had one clump yet.

All in all it's a good solid protein product. I would buy it again but if taste is a huge issue I suggest you stick with or try Syntha6 by BSN.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Variety Of Flavors
    • Weak Taste
    • Chalky Texture
    May 1, 2013

Noah19

Reviews: 1

Age: 15

May 1, 2013
     Taste 9/10: Muscle Milk is one of the best tasting protein shakes i've ever had. (I recommend the chocolate flavor) This shake can be made as thick or thin as you want and will still have the same flavor.

Effectiveness 8/10: Although it does not have as much protein as EnorMass it still gives you the results you're looking for. This will increase muscle size and definition by a well-noticable amount.

Side Effects 10/10: Throughout taking muscle milk i have not encountered any sort of side effect.

I worked out 5 days a week while taking this including 2 hours of weight lifting in the morning and an hour of running in the afternoon. This gave me great results and increased my weight by 11 lbs.

Overall this product gets a 9/10. It has great taste, gives good results, and increases weight.
    • Helps With Max
    April 30, 2013

Reviews: 4

Age: 25

April 30, 2013
     Alright, just finished the tub not too long ago and figured I should share my experience with you.

First off, I did not pay for my tub of Monster Milk. Which is probably why I'm not all that upset right now. I was given a tub by a buddy who works at GNC and had bought it on closeout for like 12 bucks. I needed a protein to hold me over until payday. So it was 2 long weeks with nothing but "Muscle Milk" to keep me going.

Taste: 8

I'd say the only real upside to this product is the taste. It does kind of taste like a milkshake. Unfortunately, it will give you similar nutritional results as if you were drinking a milkshake as a post workout.

Effectiveness: 3

This bottle is out to trick you. On the front it says 32 grams per serving. However, if you turn the bottle around. You will soon discover that a full serving is 2 full rounded scoops of this crap. Which leaves you with about 2 weeks of this crap to go through. And when you DO use 2 full scoops, the consistency becomes extremely thick and chalky. Even if you use water. You get clumps constantly.

It's high calorie and high fat content should warn you away from this stuff. It is low in protein and high in false promises.

Results you ask?

I lost 2 lbs of what was clearly muscle during my 2 weeks of using this product. I had been using Pro Complex from ON.

If you are new in the gym, or on the field. This could be a good starter protein. But as we all know, as our training progresses. So should our nutrition. So if you're a veteran of the iron arts, steer clear from this tub of lies.

Seriously, don't buy this. If someone gives it to you as a gift. Smile, and then pass it on to someone you seriously don't like. Or a newbie who can't afford protein. I guess it's better than nothing. But only slightly.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Cheap
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    • High Carbs/fat
    sdunlimited
    sdunlimited

Joined: 1/2013
    Reviews: 29
    Reputation: +1066
    I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences but I'm curious if you're reviewing 'Muscle Milk' or 'Monster Milk' - they're two separate products and I have never had anywhere near the negative experiences you've had after using many, many pounds of Muscle Milk.
    Was it past it's expiration and that's why it was only $12?
    Standard Muscle Milk has 150cals per single scoop, 6g fat, 7g net carbs and 16g protein.
    Also, while dieting heavily I have taken Bodyfat measurements twice per week and can no way say that a protein source would be solely responsible for me losing 2lbs of muscle.

Perhaps the heavy metal content has made me a bit crazy, but our experiences are vastly different. :)

Reviews: 4
    Reputation: +15
    Nope I was certainly using muscle milk. And yes per ONE scoop you have 150 calories and 16 grams of protein. However a full serving is two scoops.

And I have to concede, I can't say for sure that it was using this product that caused my loss of weight and visible definition. However, after no change in my routine, lifestyle, or diet. I lost 2 lbs while using this product. That much I can stand by and say is fact.

I do have a bit of an issue maintaining weight, and I understand each athlete has a different experience. But never the less, this was a bad experience for me. And I think that's what we are here to share right brother?

February 26, 2013

Age: 29

February 26, 2013
     Now I am a fan of Muscle Milk products. I think by in large they can be a real effective measure in working out. For those who tend to not eat as often as they should while working out. I have used Muscle Milk just about in every facet; from keeping calorie count up while swimming, to recovery proteins after long hikes, to meal replacements when I was overseas, and more.

Currently, I am doing an ISO protein to get may weight off after a bulking cycle. It sucks though; I miss the extra calories from the shake. Don’t let the fat content sway you from it either. These are good fats, and for many people they need to experience good fats and what they do for the body instead of all the bad fats that most people love to eat like overly processed cheeses, yogurts, some brands of milk, etc. Muscle Milk has good essential fats.

I will tell you a unique story fast, I was in a GNC one day and I went straight for the Muscle Milk and the (chunkier than need be) employee asks what I thought about it. I said I enjoy the calorie content and the taste is by far is the best. And she exclaimed back, yeah and 19 grams of fat. I just smirked and calmly explained she shouldn’t give advice.
    _____________________________________________

Although I am a big fan of Muscle Milk, the portion of protein per 2 scoops is okay at 32g. Which is plenty, however the quantity of the 2 scoops means you need to mix it with a good amount of water (or milk if you prefer that). The carbohydrates are great, 12 g per 2 scoops. Don’t sweat it when you look because you need stuff to burn. Unless you’re on a full on no carb diet, limiting carbs doesn’t mean you have to cut out Muscle Milk. It’s great as a weight gainer or as a meal replacement. Honestly, it’s a good versatile protein, and that is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the product.

The effectiveness can really range on how you utilize the protein. As a meal replacement it’s great to have in place of a full lunch or with a light lunch. You will feel the need to eat less if you drink before eating. As a weight gainer it’s great to. You can make some awesome bulking shakes with peanut butter, banana, maple and brown sugar oatmeal pack, and then chocolate flavored muscle milk; its lactose free which will help if you someone who is concerned with IBS or enjoy substitute milk products.

Value is always tough, because it always depends where you buy your product. I have seen it at ridiculous and I have seen it at about $30 which is a good fair price. Again just depends where you buy your products, I always recommend looking around. Hence one of the things you are doing on SR.
    _____________________________________________

Again, one of my personal favorite proteins; I will go back to it again. It is a truly beneficial protein; possibly may say it’s for more of an athlete than a body builder. But if you are beginning it’s a good protein to start with and find out what works for you in the guy. Also, if you are younger, roughly 25 and younger it’s a good protein (if you’re active). It is never advised to take any products and just sit around, you won’t get any benefits there.

Reputation: +1348
    This stuff is awful for you:

ZB
    ZB

Joined: 11/2012
    Reviews: 10
    Reputation: +436
    @as79 that is ridiculous man, + for that link,

AS79:
    Hey appreciate the link, I will have to look at this some more. Honestly, really appreciate it.

Reply #4:

Reputation: +9
    So about as much as I can figure is that you are basing everything off of the consumers report which is fine.

But if your basing it off of only that report you're not doing the proper amount of investigation.
    _________________________
    ________________________
    This article talks about it and their is an arguement about how some of these same levels are found in regular foods.
    _________________________
    ________________________
    This article well fact sheet from the National Center of Biotechnology shows the levels of these same metals in everyday harvested foods. Now it talks micrograms which is the same as PPM (parts per million) the point of these articles is taking to much protein. Not entirely on heavy metal content.

Reply #5:

Reputation: +1348
    I checked out the links, but I dont see how that contradicts the consumer reports article. Also, that ncbi article is almost 40 years old.

Reply #6:

Reputation: +9
    I’m amazed you’re trying to bring up the years even when the concepts are in the article you are referring to talks about how long it takes for these metals to leave someone’s system. Anyhow I was not disputing your claim that heavy metals are in the product. Heavy metals are absorbed as minerals in about everything we eat. There really is not anything that will not have trace amounts of a heavy metal. What I’m basically stating is; you have an invalid reason for saying the product is bad. I used it for many years, not a single problem.
    The consumption of heavy metals in plants is well documented and it takes five seconds to look of a million articles on the consumption of heavy metals in fruit, vegetables, and in turn also the meat and dairy products consumed daily. Now it’s important not to do anything in excess, just the consumer report doesn’t do much to show any difference then what is actually already contained in everyday foods.
    Don’t get upset, I just cannot see justifiable reason to be on your side here. Look at regular foods consumed and see that these same metals are in a lot of those products too.

Reply #7:

Reputation: +1348
    Not disputing that there are traces of these metals in other products. It was the amount of them in this product that would keep me from using it.

Reply #8:

Reputation: +9
    Fair enough agree to disagree. I get these are a concern, it takes a minute to find recent articles on the levels of these metals in normal foods that far exceeds what is reported by consumers reports and even my article webmd. So if you are pushed away due to that then just don't take the product for anyone but if you eat anything like meat, fruits, vegetables, or diary; you consume these metals far more often then just in this product.

December 17, 2012

sammyboss82

Reviews: 18

Age: 30

December 17, 2012
     Hey guys, I chose to try muscle milk a while back as a between meal snack, meal replacement sometimes when on the run.

Reason:
    It has 20 mineral and vitamins also lactose free which I dont rely on, but thought it would be light on my stomach. Some carbs/fibre to hold me full. In between meal/meal replacement when I was on run during busy stage of work.

Taste: 7/10
    A lot of people love the taste of MM but I have tried a lot of better proteins. Dont get me wrong it was ok, but maybe not my cup of tea.

Mixability: 8/10
    Mixed fine, no clumps etc but one thing I didn't like about it was the thickness. I have tried similar products for meal replacement/between meals etc Myofusion, Fusion7 and MM would be the thickest.

Pricing: 5/10
    In Australia MM is very expensive for what it is, blend protien.

In saying all this, I think the product is good for begginers, younger kids who dont eat much for parents to put in blender and make a smoothie for extra protein, vitamins and minerals, and also elderly who cant chew too much meat.

Would I Use again? No, in saying that at this stage of my training I am not using blend proteins, or need meal replacements. Maybe later on when I do need this style I might utilize MM.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Good Beginner Protein.
    • Good For Bulking Or For Meal Replacements
    • Helps Promote Good Health
    • Awesome With Milk!
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    December 8, 2012

EZRAB

Reviews: 7

Age: 18

December 8, 2012
     This stuff is horrible, I first started taking this product when I was a sophmore in high school and this stuff tasted great the only problem... the fat content. The only reason I would consider buying this product again is if I wanted to bulk. and this would NOT be part of anyone's clean bulk cycle in a million years. This stuff is terrible no one ever buy this stuff ever, it is horrible.
    Pros:
    Cons:
    • Tastes Great
    • Not Enough Protein
    • High Calories
    • High Carbs/fat
    • Garbage.
    • A Bit Pricy
    • High Cholsterol

Have you used Muscle Milk? Submit your own Review!