Muscle Milk

By: Cytosport

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

6.7
10 25

Ranks #64 of 65 (better than 2%) in
Protein > Blended Protein

Muscle Milk is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Cytosport. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.
COMPARE SIMILAR

I3CAA
  November 27, 2010

This is my first review so please bare with me:

Cytosport's Muscle Milk.

Muscle Milk claims:
*Miscellar Proteins (Stimulate Muscle Synthesis)
*Leanlipids ("Designer" fats- Promote Leaness)
*Lactoferrin (Increase in oxygen Delivery)
*Complete Caseins, Peptides, etc (Trigger new growth)
*Growth Peptides (Boost Nitrogen Balance)

- Overall, I expected a bit more from this particular "Muscle Milk" as it is all the rage being "America's favourite protein drink"...Not likely. I did buy it for 52$...a 2.47lb tub.. (1120g) how's that for pricy? This isn't a bad product, don't get me wrong, but you should really get what you paid for, and I feel cheated.

Taste: (10/10) WOW! This tasted like a really milkshake, with 12oz or (300ml) water with ice cubes I thought by FAR this is the best tasting protein shake out there! Sometimes, I'd spoil myself with adding low fat milk too it before bedtime as milk as natural caseins it which would prevent catabolism for longer. Anyway, this protein shake felt like a chocalate milkshake minus feeling guilty! (I got chocalate if you hadn't figured out :) haha)

Mixablity: 8/10- I used a blender, but one time I mixed it with a shaker and there were clumps, but no biggie, I shaked it for about 20seconds more and the clumps that were there were now non-existent.

Value: 5/10- This is really where the product takes a fall for the worst... 52$ for a 2.47 lb tub? It only has 16 servings a tub, and I would take two a day, in the morning, and before bed..So I finished it in precisely 8days! That's ridicolous!

Plus, the directions to take Muscle Milk are to take before & during workouts, after workouts, and prior to bedtime- that's 3 servings a day. At the MOST it'll last a week if you follow those specific intructions... (Just a tip, some companies make the serving sizes HUGE, so you use up the supplement faster, such as Mass-Tech, when taking the directions as said on the tub, you'll end up finishing it faster than expected, this is a marketing stratedy for you to spend more on their particular product- TIP: Half the servings)

3.25$ PER SERVING? I think i'll save my money next time...

Plus, the amino acid profile is not the best, recovery was mediocre with this product too, there are ALOT of better proteins out there, invest in pro-complex, or any protein from Optimum Nutrition, they have QUALITY proteins.

Here are the ingredients for Muscle Milk (The new advanced formula w/fiber)

Amount of calories per serving: 300.
Calories from fat: 110 ( Still too much)
Total Fat: 12G!
Saturated fat: 6G
Cholestrol 15mg
Total Carbohyrdate: 16g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 32Grams

+ Vitamins A,C,D,E

Overall: I wouldn't try this protein again, but I mean, it wasn't horrible! It was mediocre but it won't go down as my most favourite protein shake in the world, the taste will always be remembered...

Quick Summary:
*Value- Not good.
*Effectiveness- Mediocre
*EXPENSIVE! - Save your money. (Buy pro-complex or any protein from Optimum)
* 32Grams of protein each serving
*Builds muscle...But thats what all protein shakes are supposed to do, and at this price, you don't get what you paid for.
*A rip-off for newbies, look up Optimum.

Unfortunately, this product gets a (5.55/10)
  • Loss In Definiton
  • Rip Off!
  • Save Your Money- Invest In Optimum.

• ruabeyo
    Rep: -120
    November 27, 2010

..."This is my first review so please bare with me"...

Bear with what bro?

This is an excellent review!!! Thats is exactly how us folk like 'em.

Now... $3.25 a serving!? You might as well just by them out the fridge from your local cornerstore or gas station...WOW!!! that is ridiculous.

Keep 'em coming.. for a first review you have set a standard for yourself...Good job!!

Thanx alot man!:)
    November 27, 2010

Wow u payed way to much for the mm. did u get it from gnc or something they really ripped u off. it is not that expensive and r u saying u would treat yourself to a delight with milk? r u like trying to stay down with the calories?
    November 27, 2010

No, I normally just used to have it with water, so sometimes I'd treat myself to having it with milk, cause it tasted much better that way:) but with milk there would be more calories. Don't get the misconception that I'm trying to lose weight, my goal is to put on LEAN SOLID MUSCLE, I'm 69.4kgs 173cm 12% BF. Look me up on BB.COM:)
    November 27, 2010

Yes so if ur trying to bulk the reason to have it with milk is for the cals. and this product sells for about 22.50 for a 2.47 lb tub at other places. so its not really a bad value. Next time bro if ur gonna buy this again get it online or at vitamin shoppe
    November 28, 2010

Unfortunately man, I live in South Africa, the price is 389.99 Rand here, convert that into dollars- so i'm not as lucky as you. And who said I was bulking? If I was bulking I would have bought Serious Mass, True Mass, Real Mass, or something along the line of a "Weight Gainer" - This is as it states on the front of the tub "Ultimate Lean Muscle Formula" so unless they laid to me and made this a bulking product, then you're just talking out your whizway- think about what you're gonna say before you post it. No offence.
  • Adammazda06
    November 28, 2010

Good review! Wow that's a lot of money for muscle milk. I personally love muscle milk, and between it an hard work I've put on around 27lbs in the last year and a half. Luckily being in the states I have never paid more than $19.99 per tub. (i catch it on sale and stock up)What do other brands like ON run in South Africa?
  • chichistrong
    November 28, 2010

Great review, I bought it once at GNC a long time ago, but I bought 2 tubs for like 60 somthing bucks, they had a deal on it, but I will not buy again; however, it is the best tasting protein milkshake in the market.
    November 28, 2010

Great 1st review but you'd be better off goin to mickey-d's and gettin a milkshake,same amount of sugar and fat probably
    November 28, 2010

Ur trying to gain muscle which ur not going to get by getting so u would probably be bulking.
  • Jenks2011
    November 28, 2010

You sir wrote a great review and you get a pos rep haha :)
    November 29, 2010

Thanks alot guys means alot:)
  • kubitzky10
    November 29, 2010

Great review to you also brother. You keep em coming to!
  • kubitzky10
    November 29, 2010

Oh and did you have another profile name like Dooley or something?

YEAH! Talk later man:)
    November 29, 2010

Yeah I forgot his password..dude .. haha :) funny story.. I'm writing a review on Serious Mass later:-) check it out!
Trev
  January 20, 2011

My first review so bare with me on this.

Taste 9/10 I bought mocha latte and chocolate both were very tasty and easy to take down. Mocha Latte was more of a cappacino taste and Chocolate was spot on in taste.

Mixing 8/10 Mixing in a shaker was not very good as it clumped up badly if not shaken very firmly. But with the tornado mixer or blender it was the smoothest shake i've had in milk or water.

Value 8/10 I bought this as it was on sale in GNC 2.5 pounds for 30 bucks and then buy 1 get one half off so i ended up paying 45 bucks for 5 pounds. Not to bad. A good deal at GNC for once.

Effectiveness 8/10 Over the course of me taking this i went from about 160 to 170 mostly muscle but also some fat as i didn't have my diet in check.

Recovery 8/10 I could feel a difference in soreness after taking this when i woke up the next moring but still had some. But as soon as i added some glutamine to my shake i would wake up with no soreness at all even when i started a new more brutal routine.

I have recently seen great results with this when i added the glutamine to my shakes. It added good size and strength pretty quickly for me.

Overall this is a great protein for teens just starting to workout. It will add good mass and strength gains. But for people who have been at it for a while there are better proteins out there. It really is only good for beginers because it only has 16 grams of protein per serving so the bigger guys are gonna have some trouble building a lot of muscle on this. But seeing as i am a beginer it worked great for me.

January 20, 2011

Very good first review,but its 2 scoops per serving which is 32grams of protein and 300 calories+rep ya
    January 20, 2011

Yeah I just remembered that my bad. One of my tubs said a serving was 1 scoop. Then the other said 2 scoops a serving.
    January 20, 2011

No problemo bro,I'll be watching for more reviews from you,btw what glutamine are you using?

SciFit Glutamine Power

*powder
    January 21, 2011

Thanks
    January 21, 2011

No Prob.
Boonelifter
  January 15, 2011

Muscle milk is a solid product.

Some key ingredients:
Carbohydrates
Whey Protein
Glutamine
Some vitamins

Overall effectiveness: 8/10
Muscle was a good fit for me and my workout routine, i staked it with Kre-Alkalyn 1500, Animal Pak, Animal Stak, and jack3d. Muscle Milk helped me with building muscle,which I gained around 4-5 solid pounds of muscle. It tasked amazing, i would honestly could drink it as a shake just relaxing around the house. I took it with milk, i rarely ever used water, i hate the taste with water but that's just my opinion. I took three shakes aday two scoops, and went through about to full containers in a month.

Mix ability: 9/10
I would put two scoops of muscles milk in my shaker cup first then fill it full with milk. I never had a problem shakin the Crap out of the shake. I rarely had clumps unless i mixed it in a normal household cup which i would stir it with a spoon. When i would use my blender it would come out incredibly smooth!

Price: 7/10
The price wasn't to bad which was around 45 dollars or so for a 5 pound container. i Purchased two containers had three shakes a day for a month strait. What started to add up for me it felt like was all the milk i used a day, i felt like i was buying a carton of milk every few days. oh well it was well worth it!

To sum it all up:
My Muscle Milk had some assistance with the other product i was taking,but anyways almost all of my max's went up around 15-30 pounds. Let me just say Diet is key, don't expect crazy gains if your eating at MC Donall's not taking in enough Calories proteins etc. Good luck with your lifting and i Deff. recommend this product if you are not trying to use a weight gainer :)
  • Helps With Max

gridironwec
  October 13, 2010

A great protein. I used this mainly as a meal replacement or a before bed snack. The taste wasn't too bad but tasted a little metallic. I had the cookies and cream flavor. I loved how there was 6g of saturated fat in each serving, but it's made up of triglycerides which are used as fuel for the body meaning there was virtually no fat storage at all. It can also be used before bed as well. Just a great multi-purpose protein plain and simple.
GodofSerbia1
  April 6, 2012

I felt compelled to write this review after seeing some 'experts' slam Muscle Milk. Muscle Milk has been a staple of my supplement routine for over 5 years. I will be reviewing MuscleMilk Chocolate today, the 4 lb tub, which I purchased 2 tubs for less than $30.

**Let me just throw out that while I am writing this review I am slamming down my 'Morning Starter' shake which is 1 1/2 scoops Muscle Milk Chocolate, 1 cup coffee, 1 cup milk, teaspoon of sugar**

The 4 lb tub stats:
-Flavor: Chocolate
-Serving size: 1 scoop
-protein per serving: 16 g
-types of protein: Casein and Whey for instant and time-released protein absorbing.
-carbs per serving: 9 grams
-huge amino acid profile

I took Muscle Milk Chocolate as followed:
-1 scoop before my workout mixed with creatine and pre-workout. **the carbs mix well with the creatine and l-arginine and help with giving you a sustainable energy throughout your workout**
-2 Scoops after my workout. I just love the taste so much when mixed with milk.
-1 scoop before bed mixed with milk.

Conclusion: MuscleMilk Chocolate mixes pretty well but just tastes SO GOOD that it is super convenient. It is great for not really replacing meals but getting you through class or work after a workout. I believe ISOPURE or 0 calorie whey Isolate proteins are BULLS*** and don't work. I love a protein with some carbs and some calories to really help me get an extra energy boost before workouts and to recover after workouts. The mix of Casein (time-released muscle feeding protein) and Whey(instant released muscle feeding protein) combines for a great overall protein that is EXTREMELY VERSATILE. All-in-all most proteins are the same and don't really work all that well but MUSCLE MILK IS THE BEST MIDDLE GROUND PROTEIN BETWEEN A 0 CALORIE ISOLATE AND A WEIGHT GAINER SHAKE!

Definitely great for all athletes too!

Also, Costco is the place to get your Muscle Milk!

Fair and Honest,
GodofSerbia1
  • Healthy
  • Awesome With Milk!
  • A Bit Pricy

• Gaels2009
    April 6, 2012

I agree overall. It is a decent product but at the price you pay, you might as well ball out a little more for personalized high quality products
josh29
  September 10, 2010

I've used Muscle Milk on and off for years. I've tried other protein powders and they just don't measure up to MM. Yes there are better proteins out there. But when you include the cost of all these products MM works for me. The taste is excellent!! I haven't tasted a better shake. The calories and fat are up there...but i just watch what else i'm eating through out the day so that i can have MM. So for all of you that want a great tasting effective protein....and your still a million dollars shy of a million dollars....give MM a try.

• RNinFlight
    Rep: -5
    September 10, 2010

I definitely agree with you about everything, especially the taste! I think initially that was the most surprising thing. Chocolate, and the Chocolate Malt are my two faves.
kohdii
  April 25, 2010

As usual, I will start with an introduction. Notice for effectiveness and overall I rated a 7. DO NOT take these ratings to heart too much because this product is a complete hit or miss depending on one's goals.

Taste - Lets get this out of the way. This product tastes AMAZING!! I got chocolate and I've bought chocolate every time I have purchased this and will continue to get chocolate. It tastes like chocolate milk/a milkshake. The texture is kind of gritty but in a good way. It will not bother you at all.

Side effects: This product WILL most likely cause gas of some sort. It is a cheaper protein source and does not absorb as well as others and may even give you diarrhea. Be warned.

Results: This product should be taken as a Meal Replacement NOT POST WORKOUT. The fat and carb content do not make it an ideal post workout shake. The fat content is 12 g total fat and 6 g sat fat. 80% of the sat fat is said to be MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) and are claimed to not contribute to fat storage. Take that with a grain of salt/believe what you will but I would not recommend this product for post workout ever.
This product gets a bad rep for being "too fattening" but if these lifters were the "seasoned" lifters that they are, they would realize after one glance at the label it is not good for post workout but rather a meal replacement.

Value: Horrible value almost anywhere you shop. GNC, BB.com, etc all have it for about 50 bucks for a 5 lb tub. This is over-priced for the quality level of this product and you are better off buying Pro Complex for that price tag.

Stacked with: Size on, NO Shotgun, ON gold, Multi vitamin, Monster Amino. This shake was used SOLELY as a MRP.

Overall I would recommend this if you have deep pockets and want to bulk or need a tasty MRP but honestly there are much better options and you are paying for the taste and the popularity behind the name "MUSCLE MILK."
  • Pricy

• bulzanf
    April 25, 2010

Agree not a postwork out protein. I see to many people say they use it after they work out. Its for bulking.
Sycoholic
Rep: -9
  June 6, 2013

So I've tried so many brands of protein powder I figured what's one more. I went to GNC expecting to get a tub of Syntha6 orange smoothie. Instead I bought the Muscle Milk. I like orange smoothie so much I figured I'd see if Muscle Milk has a superior taste, that and I'm a little tired of the 200 calories a scoop of the Syntha6. I supplement a lot with whey protein so the calories rack up fast.

So onto the review. It smells phenomenal. I was eagerly anticipating the taste that was associated with this aroma. Now, understand I mix all my whey with ice water. Having said that, I found the taste to be acceptable, but not a good powerful orange taste. Where the Syntha6 tastes just like an Orange Julius, the Muscle Milk seems weak and maybe like a melted orange ice cream flavor. The texture isn't great either. It's a bit chalky in consistency. This is most likely due to calcium caseinate and sodium caseinate being the top two protein ingredients. They tend to be chalky but I do think Cytosport did a great job of covering up for it. Next on the ingredient list is whey isolate. So right off the bat you see the majority of the protein content is good, high quality protein. I'm a little discouraged though at the lower than normal per scoop protein content. That the calories are 150 per scoop it's not terribly bad though.

The taste isn't horrible, the protein make-up is top notch, it's easily found even at WalMart, they have tons of flavors, the price is acceptable, and it mixes easily with a blender bottle. I haven't had one clump yet.

All in all it's a good solid protein product. I would buy it again but if taste is a huge issue I suggest you stick with or try Syntha6 by BSN.
  • Helps Promote Good Health
  • Variety Of Flavors
  • Not The Best Value
  • Weak Taste
  • Chalky Texture
Galloway
  April 30, 2013

Alright, just finished the tub not too long ago and figured I should share my experience with you.

First off, I did not pay for my tub of Monster Milk. Which is probably why I'm not all that upset right now. I was given a tub by a buddy who works at GNC and had bought it on closeout for like 12 bucks. I needed a protein to hold me over until payday. So it was 2 long weeks with nothing but "Muscle Milk" to keep me going.

Taste: 8

I'd say the only real upside to this product is the taste. It does kind of taste like a milkshake. Unfortunately, it will give you similar nutritional results as if you were drinking a milkshake as a post workout.

Effectiveness: 3

This bottle is out to trick you. On the front it says 32 grams per serving. However, if you turn the bottle around. You will soon discover that a full serving is 2 full rounded scoops of this crap. Which leaves you with about 2 weeks of this crap to go through. And when you DO use 2 full scoops, the consistency becomes extremely thick and chalky. Even if you use water. You get clumps constantly.

It's high calorie and high fat content should warn you away from this stuff. It is low in protein and high in false promises.

Results you ask?

I lost 2 lbs of what was clearly muscle during my 2 weeks of using this product. I had been using Pro Complex from ON.

If you are new in the gym, or on the field. This could be a good starter protein. But as we all know, as our training progresses. So should our nutrition. So if you're a veteran of the iron arts, steer clear from this tub of lies.

Seriously, don't buy this. If someone gives it to you as a gift. Smile, and then pass it on to someone you seriously don't like. Or a newbie who can't afford protein. I guess it's better than nothing. But only slightly.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Good Beginner Protein.
  • Cheap
  • Not Enough Protein
  • High Calories
  • High Carbs/fat
  • Garbage.

• sdunlimited
    April 30, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences but I'm curious if you're reviewing 'Muscle Milk' or 'Monster Milk' - they're two separate products and I have never had anywhere near the negative experiences you've had after using many, many pounds of Muscle Milk.
    Was it past it's expiration and that's why it was only $12?
    Standard Muscle Milk has 150cals per single scoop, 6g fat, 7g net carbs and 16g protein.
    Also, while dieting heavily I have taken Bodyfat measurements twice per week and can no way say that a protein source would be solely responsible for me losing 2lbs of muscle.

Perhaps the heavy metal content has made me a bit crazy, but our experiences are vastly different. :)
  • Galloway
    April 30, 2013

Nope I was certainly using muscle milk. And yes per ONE scoop you have 150 calories and 16 grams of protein. However a full serving is two scoops.

And I have to concede, I can't say for sure that it was using this product that caused my loss of weight and visible definition. However, after no change in my routine, lifestyle, or diet. I lost 2 lbs while using this product. That much I can stand by and say is fact.

I do have a bit of an issue maintaining weight, and I understand each athlete has a different experience. But never the less, this was a bad experience for me. And I think that's what we are here to share right brother?
WetSprocket
  February 26, 2013

Now I am a fan of Muscle Milk products. I think by in large they can be a real effective measure in working out. For those who tend to not eat as often as they should while working out. I have used Muscle Milk just about in every facet; from keeping calorie count up while swimming, to recovery proteins after long hikes, to meal replacements when I was overseas, and more.

Currently, I am doing an ISO protein to get may weight off after a bulking cycle. It sucks though; I miss the extra calories from the shake. Don't let the fat content sway you from it either. These are good fats, and for many people they need to experience good fats and what they do for the body instead of all the bad fats that most people love to eat like overly processed cheeses, yogurts, some brands of milk, etc. Muscle Milk has good essential fats.

I will tell you a unique story fast, I was in a GNC one day and I went straight for the Muscle Milk and the (chunkier than need be) employee asks what I thought about it. I said I enjoy the calorie content and the taste is by far is the best. And she exclaimed back, yeah and 19 grams of fat. I just smirked and calmly explained she shouldn't give advice.
_____________________________________________

Although I am a big fan of Muscle Milk, the portion of protein per 2 scoops is okay at 32g. Which is plenty, however the quantity of the 2 scoops means you need to mix it with a good amount of water (or milk if you prefer that). The carbohydrates are great, 12 g per 2 scoops. Don't sweat it when you look because you need stuff to burn. Unless you're on a full on no carb diet, limiting carbs doesn't mean you have to cut out Muscle Milk. It's great as a weight gainer or as a meal replacement. Honestly, it's a good versatile protein, and that is one of the main reasons why I enjoy the product.

The effectiveness can really range on how you utilize the protein. As a meal replacement it's great to have in place of a full lunch or with a light lunch. You will feel the need to eat less if you drink before eating. As a weight gainer it's great to. You can make some awesome bulking shakes with peanut butter, banana, maple and brown sugar oatmeal pack, and then chocolate flavored muscle milk; its lactose free which will help if you someone who is concerned with IBS or enjoy substitute milk products.

Value is always tough, because it always depends where you buy your product. I have seen it at ridiculous and I have seen it at about $30 which is a good fair price. Again just depends where you buy your products, I always recommend looking around. Hence one of the things you are doing on SR.
_____________________________________________

Again, one of my personal favorite proteins; I will go back to it again. It is a truly beneficial protein; possibly may say it's for more of an athlete than a body builder. But if you are beginning it's a good protein to start with and find out what works for you in the guy. Also, if you are younger, roughly 25 and younger it's a good protein (if you're active). It is never advised to take any products and just sit around, you won't get any benefits there.
  • Helps Promote Good Health

February 26, 2013

This stuff is awful for you:
  • ZB

@as79 that is ridiculous man, + for that link,

AS79:
    Hey appreciate the link, I will have to look at this some more. Honestly, really appreciate it.
    February 26, 2013

So about as much as I can figure is that you are basing everything off of the consumers report which is fine.

But if your basing it off of only that report you're not doing the proper amount of investigation.
    _________________________
    ________________________
    This article talks about it and their is an arguement about how some of these same levels are found in regular foods.
    _________________________
    ________________________
    This article well fact sheet from the National Center of Biotechnology shows the levels of these same metals in everyday harvested foods. Now it talks micrograms which is the same as PPM (parts per million) the point of these articles is taking to much protein. Not entirely on heavy metal content.
    February 26, 2013

I checked out the links, but I dont see how that contradicts the consumer reports article. Also, that ncbi article is almost 40 years old.
    February 27, 2013

I’m amazed you’re trying to bring up the years even when the concepts are in the article you are referring to talks about how long it takes for these metals to leave someone’s system. Anyhow I was not disputing your claim that heavy metals are in the product. Heavy metals are absorbed as minerals in about everything we eat. There really is not anything that will not have trace amounts of a heavy metal. What I’m basically stating is; you have an invalid reason for saying the product is bad. I used it for many years, not a single problem.
    The consumption of heavy metals in plants is well documented and it takes five seconds to look of a million articles on the consumption of heavy metals in fruit, vegetables, and in turn also the meat and dairy products consumed daily. Now it’s important not to do anything in excess, just the consumer report doesn’t do much to show any difference then what is actually already contained in everyday foods.
    Don’t get upset, I just cannot see justifiable reason to be on your side here. Look at regular foods consumed and see that these same metals are in a lot of those products too.
    February 27, 2013

Not disputing that there are traces of these metals in other products. It was the amount of them in this product that would keep me from using it.
    February 27, 2013

Fair enough agree to disagree. I get these are a concern, it takes a minute to find recent articles on the levels of these metals in normal foods that far exceeds what is reported by consumers reports and even my article webmd. So if you are pushed away due to that then just don't take the product for anyone but if you eat anything like meat, fruits, vegetables, or diary; you consume these metals far more often then just in this product.

Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.