Home > Categories > Pre-Workout > Pump > Cytosport > Monster Pump > Reviews

By Cytosport
Monster Pump Cytosport
7.3/10
(Weighted average based on 17 Reviews)

Ranks #35 of 52 (better than 33%)
in Pre-Workout > Pump
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

Cytosport provides a solid bang for your buck with respectable doses of proven ingredients.

Taste 5/10 Fruit Punch

Taste 5/10 Fruit Punch

I have only tried the fruit punch flavor and honestly it wasn't great and almost bland. It really doesn't have much flavor. It doesn't' t taste bad in anyway it's just wasn't like other pre-workouts that I would look forward to drinking before training. I often would find myself mixing in some mio or crystal light to actually give this stuff some flavor.

Mixing 6/10
Monster pump doesn't mix very well. This product leaves lots of film and creates a volcano of foam. I would mix it up in a shaker, drink it, then add water to wash off the residue and drink again. I'm not sure why this product foams so much but I would guess it is the soluble corn fiber that is used in the powder. While this keeps the product low in carbs (2 grams per scoop) it may cause this. The mixability of this product could improve but having said that it doesn't have any floaters at the top as many BCAA products do so don't worry there is none of that with this product.

Profile 8/10

This product has a pretty damn good list of ingredients that are dosed effectively. In fact the main reason I decided to buy this product over countless others was because of its low price and its ingredient profile. At one scoop this wont Pack a huge punch but at two it hit me hard. At two scoops you get 4 grams l-arginine, 3 grams of l-citrulline, 2 grams beta-alanine, 3 grams Creapure creatine monohydrate, 3 grams of Leucine peptides, 300 mgs caffeine and a few other goodies.

These doses will be affective in improving performance, pumps, and aiding in muscle building. I am also very pleased to see that all of the ingredient are listed and their amounts are given. Proprietary blends are devious in nature and I am not a fan of them. Although I can say some companies use it to genuinely protect the formula they have invested heavily in so I can understand that. The only reason this product is not a 10 in this category is because a product can always be better and in this case adding some more beta-alanine and creatine would erase the need to further supplement it. Also adding some agmatine or glycerol and removing the l-arginine could make it a bit more effective as a pump priduct. But that is just my preference.

Effectiveness 7/10
This product did help me get some great pumps and provided me with ample energy but I never got the lazer focus that I relieved from other Pre workouts like Myo-Blitz and Pump hd. So I would say it lacks a bit in that way. I also never was pumped out of my mind like I have been when using products like Hemavol by I force. I had no negative unwanted effects but since there is caffeine in this product a trip to the bathroom before your workout is not something that should be surprising as caffeine is a natural laxative.

Value 8/10
I enjoyed this product even more because I got it for a low price. I paid about 60 cents a scoop. At this price I would buy it again and I often see it for less than a dollar a scoop, which is a pretty fair price for all that you get in this product. If you're on a budget this product would be a good option because with it you get a solid dose of creatine monohydrate. Anyone looking to build muscle should be taking creatine monohydrate and two scoops of this everyday would provide a sufficient amount of creatine while also being an effective Pre workout and beta alanine supplement.

Overall 7.5/10
Solid product with a sufficient amount of pump, muscle building, and energy supplements. Could mix better and provide more focus but it delivers a good bang for your buck. I recommend buying this product with another pre-workout because the bland taste can get to you after a while and you may welcome a change even if it is only for a day. This stacks well with Hemavol by I force or Testogen XR by Ronnie Coleman Signature Series. Those are both non stimulant pump products that will greatly increase the pump effect of this product.

I recommend this product for anyone who is interested in a pre-workout product that is affordable, low carb, and contains quality ingredients in respectable amounts.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Low Price
  • No Side Effects
  • Good Pumps
  • Bland Taste

jpount

Good review.

Agree that at one scoop, you're not getting the benefits/the right dosages. You do, however, notice an incredible difference when you 'up' it to two scoops.

I'm actually quite stim tolerant, but at two scoops this really sends me flying to the point that I had to cut it back to one and a half, because my heartbeat intensified when I'd follow my workouts with some cardio.

pudgusky

Posted August 7, 2013
Very good review. I'll certainly be checking this out when I'm done with my current pre, or if I spot it on sale.

Posted August 7, 2013
@jpount. Hate when that happens as it can often ruin a workout. I always take a more mild stim before legs because I have had that increased heart rate happen to the point where I actually have to stop training. I have some N.O Xplode caffeine free coming today and I'm looking forward to using a scoop of this with it!

@pudgusky
Thank you. This product is worth a shot for sure and usually it can be found online for pretty cheap. I believe I got mine at allstarthealth.com, lockoutsupplements.com, or muscleandstrength.com.

I recommend buying this with another type of pre-workout product. The taste can get bland and you may want a break from it after a week of using it.

kohdii

Very disappointed in this over-hyped product

Taste - Taste and texture was very chalky and very bitter and odd. I got sour grape and it was very difficult to drink, it tasted very harsh.
Side effects - Diarrhea.
Side effects - Diarrhea.
Overall effects - It gave nothing special in terms of energy, only made me lose sleep. No pumps that I noticed, and no mental stimulation at all. Very disappointed in this over-hyped product.
I would not recommend this product to anybody, its pricey and ineffective. But that was my personal experience.

• Sleep Loss

Posted February 17, 2010
    Dam dude everthing seems to give you the hershey highway!

The pumps were definitely there

i recently got this at GNC and it was close dated 75% off to like $12 so i was like what tha heck. I can say this it a solid product. did one scoop and felt the energy kick in pretty quickly. The pumps were definitely there. Not the best ive ever had but descent. The taste was ok. Ive seen alot of people say its horrible but it was palatable to me. Liked that it had WM in it. Definitely worth it.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Focus
    • Decent Energy
    • Good Pumps

Posted November 9, 2010
      agreed!

Not the best but then its still can be said decent.

Lorenz0

This is one of my favorite all around pre- workout that i've tried. It is best to be taken on a empty stomache ( due to the # of carbs) and is great on taste:)

Price- 9/10
      I got this on sale last black friday for $20. It came with 30 servings so overall was a great deal.

Price- 9/10

Taste- 9/10

This is probably my favorite tasting pre- workout that i have tried. I had the sour grape, it was chalky but was still very good:)

Effectiveness- 8/10

This was not the strongest pre- workout that i have tried but was very good on focus and pump. It has 25 grams of carbs so you endurance will last quite awhile. This also has 200mg of caffeine in it so the energy was their for about 2 weeks and slowly disapeared.

Mixability 7/10

This is the only con about this product.. It is very hard to mix even with numerous shakes from the old blender bottle, but it the taste makes up for the mixability. It also pops the lids off your shaker cup whenever your done shaking:(

Overall 8/10

This product is great to start as a first p.w. supplement to take on a bulk cycle. Though it lacks on the energy and mixability the massive pumps, endurance, great taste, and focus make this product a solid 8/10:)

solid review man

Lorenz0

Posted December 2, 2010
      Thanks my dude.. Ur doing great yourself;)

Posted December 2, 2010
      you werent lying legit MONSTER PUMP just exploded across my living room but it does taste good hahah

actually man Monster pump doesn't have but 5g of carbs in it not 25

Great pumps, very good energy

Worked great for me.
      Great pumps, very good energy.
      I would recommend this product.
      But the bad thing is you sometimes have to take more than 1 scoop dont take more than 2!
      I took 3 scoops once i thought i was going to have a heart attack!
      Worked great for me.
      Great pumps, very good energy.
      I would recommend this product.
      I took 3 scoops once i thought i was going to have a heart attack!

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • No Side Effects
      • Decent Energy
      • Good Pumps
      • Too Much Caffeine

Experienced great pumps, vascularity, and good amount of energy

I'm trying to gain 20lbs of muscle by February and decided to get this product b/c it was on sale @ GNC. Worked well. Experienced great pumps, vascularity, and good amount of energy. However it contains 200mg of caffeine, which had my heart feeling like it was gonna come out of my chest and suppressed my appetite (Bad for gaining mass.)

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • Decent Energy
      • Good Pumps
      • Too Much Caffeine
      • Sleep Loss

jetsfan3

Posted November 8, 2010
      20lbs of muscle is a bit unrealistic so do not be disappointed if you don't achieve that. Keep working hard and someday you will.

The taste was good and I got a decent pump off of i

I'm writing the value on this as a 10 because I got a whole container for free. This is a middle of the line kind of PWO. The taste was good and I got a decent pump off of it. There is some slight carbonation with this when mixing, so be careful if you're using a shaker cup b/c the top could potentially pop when opening. The downside is that the scoops are larger. I much prefer the smaller scoops that most concentrated PWO's are going with these days.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • No Side Effects
      • Good Pumps
      • Carbonates Like Crazy

Raptorbh12

Posted February 23, 2011
      Good call on the carbonation factor. I found that quite odd and messy when mixed in my car...

Posted February 23, 2011
      i hate the carbonation with pwo's.i made the mistake an got pump fixx and it is horrible i get severe gas from it.

I have had massive gains in short time

What a fantastic pre workout drink. I have had massive gains in short time. I get to the gym motivated to work hard. It keeps me focused with a ton of energy. The sour grape taste great but it is a little difficult to mix.
      The only thing to watch out is that it is carbonated so if you mix it in a shaker cup make sure that you pop the top to release the pressure right away. I have blown the top off my shaker cups a few times. Almost going into cardiac arrest driving to the gym is never good...

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • Decent Energy
      • Good Pumps
      • Hard To Mix

It's nothing out of the ordinary but it does put out ok level of energy

(In past, I've tried Jack3d, 1 M.R., HemoRage and few other post workout products prior to Muscle Pump.)

It's nothing out of the ordinary but it does put out ok level of energy and focus considering that the product is free of banned substances. I bought the sour apple from monsterzym.us for $26(because I'm currently residing in Korea) and it tasted rather good. Carbonates like crazy and it took awhile before the fizz went down. I would 't recommend it to Jack or 1 M.R. fans but if you prefer something with no jitters, then go for it!

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • No Side Effects
      • Decent Energy
      • Focus
      • Focus Doesn't Last But 1 Hour Or So.
      • Carbonates Like Crazy

This stuff is great

this stuff is great...i use it every other day when im not doin cardio....it gives me a great pump and helps me focus...i can definitely tell that it works on the days i dont use it....i also only take half a scoop and it gives me the strength to get thru the workout.....it is great def recommend it for anyone.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Tasted Good
      • No Side Effects
      • Decent Energy
      • Good Pumps
      • Focus
      • Carbonates Like Crazy