Clif Bar Reviews

By: Clif

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

10 8

Ranks #1 of 2 (better than 100%) in
Energy Supplements > Bars

Clif Bar is an Energy Bar manufactured by Clif. It helps fuel your body by providing extra calories to increase muscle performance and endurance.
COMPARE SIMILAR

jmlstocks

January 13, 2011

This is a product I've used for a couple of years now and not one that I normally think of when I talk about bodybuilding supplements. It does have a few uses not directly related to lifting, but more for the lifestyle and fitness goals for those of us that lift.
This is a very simple product with a couple of unique features. It is typically used for energy fuel and competes directly with other energy bars that you find in GNC or your local grocery store shelf. It advertises organic soybeans and oats and is actually made up from 70% organic ingredients. For a lifter, this could be used as both meal replacement or as a pre-cardio supplement and I will rate is for both.
Taste: 7/10
My expectations for energy bars in general are low, but this came in a little better than I expected. It doesn't taste like a Snickers, but much better than some other bars I've tried. My kids take them before soccer games and actually crave the taste of them. I've tried the Chocolate Chip, brownie, Oatmeal Raisin, and Peanut Butter and have found all the flavors to be relatively equal.
When you look at this on a grocery store shelf, it cost about $1 which doesn't look expensive and it is certainly cheaper than some other energy bars. But...$1/serving isn't necessarily cheap as a supplement and in comparison to a fast acting carb product such as Karbolyn (.50/serving) it looks a little pricey.
Meal Replacement: 6/10
Yes, this works well as a meal replacement if you're in a pinch and need something quick and convenient-much better than stopping though the McDonalds Drive though. No, this doesn't work well to take as a meal replacement on a regular basis. It has too much sugar (20-22g/serving). Also, the protein is Soy which some like and some don't. In its favor, it does have healthy amounts of 23 different vitamins and minerals.

Pre Cardio Supp: 9/10
It supplies 45g/serving of carbs with half coming from simple sugar, and the other half from rolled oats. Gives off the effect of fast carbs for immediate energy, and slower digesting ones for longer sustained energy. It works well pre cardio, pre practice, pre game, pre biking, pre running...pretty much any strenous activity you need the energy for. The energy is pretty long lasting and has worked well for that purpose.

Overall, this is effective for what its marketed as, and that is a good source of energy for all activities. If I have the choice, I'll take a swig of Sci Fits Karbolyn as my first choice due to price and effectiveness, but this is close behind and very convenient for its purpose.
    SoulMonkey
      July 6, 2010

This is by far one of the few Bar Company's I'll run with. In fact, unless a store doesn't have them and I'm in a pinch, I won't consume any other bar for multiple reasons. Before I go on, I can't stand most bars because they are loaded with sugar alcohols. And when you consume enough of those, they act like a laxative. Trust me, I experienced that with mints already.

First of all, the ingredient list is primarily all actual food, which is something a lot of other bars miss out on. They are also 70% organic, which is a huge plus. I'm assuming that if the other 30% would be organic, the price would probably climb additional 50 cents or more. But, not any other bar I've come across comes to close to that. Most of them are chockful of weird protein sources, aspartame, straight sugar with no complex carbs, and a bunch of extra ingredients that make no sense. Also, this doesn't come across as chalky like some of those "protein bars" do, which isn't good.

This review is also about most of the line up: Clif, Luna, and Builder. I have all three in big boxes for different reasons. Clif isn't really meant as just as a protein bar as much as it is an all around energy bar with fiber and protein. Personally, I also eat Luna if I want a little less calories, and Builder if I want that 20 grams of protein. All 3 of them serve as a purpose, and I don't discriminate because of advertising. Luna Bars are just as good as Clif, just less caloric.

Oh, about the sugar content: it's mostly low glycemic carbs. Which is the point for long term energy that tastes great, which is another huge point for Clif. Most other bars just have either pure sugar, artificial sweeteners, or sugar alcohols which don't provide much long term energy... but they have lots of protein, right? And again on the taste: it actually taste like real food. And since real food tastes great, so do these bars! Honestly, these bars are probably the closest thing you can get to real food... and I would suggest them for anyone that wants to add them to their diet and can't stand the taste and ingredient lists of other bars. They are very affordable even at stores for about a buck a pop for any of the styles!

• 1% For The Planet Member
      workoutnoob
        July 19, 2012

I have been using these little bars for a while now. Personally I think they are fantastic. If you are ever in a bind for a snack,and are needing to add a few carbs to your macro count look no further.

Taste: 9/10
      I LOVE the way these bars taste. I have tried many flavors (chocolate chip, black cherry almond, blueberry crisp, peanut butter and chocolate brownie just to name a few.) I enjoyed them all. They weren't too sweet, but not bland and unbearable like some bars are.

Profile: 6/10
      This is the only place I really find the bars slightly lacking. Although not exactly bad for some pre workout situations, I am not very fond of the 21g of sugar per bar, as well as only having 10g of protein. This is really my only complaint. Total carbs are around 45g and calories around 230 which would make this a decent occasional meal replacement or snack.

Value:8/10
      They have these set up in my local 24/7 gas station. They are not very expensive (less than two dollars per bar) which makes them not bad at all if you're in a rush, and a lot better for you than a burger with fries from a fast food joint.

Overall:8/10
      Overall the Clif bar is great for anyone in a rush and needs a quick meal replacement, or for someone who needs a snack to add some carbs to their macros. It's inexpensive and easy with the benefits of adding some decent carbs and protein to your daily macros without having to sacrifice your diet at the fast food place down the road.
      • Great Post Workout
      kbava
        February 2, 2012

i LOVE LOVE LOVE these bars!! they are sooooo yummy! :)
      i work out every day and have a very strict diet! the down fall is i am a full time student and a full time worker so i dont have time to sit down and eat a salad so what do i do i eat a cliff bar!!! or what do i do if i am sitting in bed at night and decide i want something sweet... yup you guessed it i eat a cliff bar.
      they fill me up completly the only thing i suggest is to drink a whole bottle of water with it. oneto fill you up more and 2 cuz it's a pretty thick bar!
      as for value at my local food store they ALWAYS have them on sale for 10 for 10$ so i buy them a few boxes at a time
      i wouldnt exceed more than 1 MAYBE 2 bars a day... since you should be eating real foods and not just energy bars!
      oh! and they are also the perfect bar to take on a good hike... it taste better to me on top of a mountain!

flavor of choice: chocolate mint! :)

if anything just buy one and try it... i now you will fall in love

btw... if your like me and get a bloated feeling after most protien bars, ive never had a problem with these!
      • None!
      shinndigg

January 10, 2011

I've had many a Clif Bar during my several deployments to Iraq; we get these supplied to us in our dining facilities. I will give them a plug because they have been an iatrical part of my diet over the past six months and have helped me day in and day out get the calories and nutrients I need as they are an easy and convenient way to get a very diverse nutritional profile. Clif Bars feature simple and complex carbs including five grams of fiber, ten grams of protein, several essential vitamins and minerals, as well as a small amount of healthy dietary fats.

Clif Bars are good as part of a pick me up snack, or if you are in a rush to get something to eat. They do a good job of giving a steady source of energy, I would usually eat one these along with breakfast and then either as an addition to a meal, or in between meals. I've also started eating one of these after my workouts to get those fast and slow carbs and a little added protein. My favorite flavor is the black cherry almond, but the peanut butter and chocolate chip flavors are good as well. I would like these more if they had a higher amount of protein in them, you'd have to eat something else along with these in order to get an adequate amount of protein for a meal or even a snack. I also suggest drinking plenty of water with these as they have a dry texture with all the nuts and oats and such in them. However they aren't too hard, too chewy, or have that weird chalky protein bar consistency.

The value on these are pretty good, I got mine for free so you obviously can't beat that. I just had to sign my life away to Uncle Sam and get tossed into a crappy war-torn third world country, so I guess a little kickback on some protein bars doesn't make it that raw of a deal, haha. Even looking up the prices online, 13 bucks for 12 bars is a good deal. Most of the times you see prices in the mid 20's to mid 30's for a 12 pack of bars. $1.08 per bar is solid, especially considering the quality of the bars, and using mostly organic ingredients.

Depending on what your nutritional goals are, these can be good bars to have. If you are looking for more protein, you'd probably be better suited looking elsewhere. I do plan on trying the Builder's Bars from Clif in the near future though due to my good experience with these. I recommend these bars though for anyone looking for a healthy, good tasting way to get a well balanced snack or meal addition.

BS55
        March 6, 2013

Even tough these have been out there awhile i thought i'd write a review on them anyways. These are definitely one of my favorite protein bars!

Taste: 10/10 This is by far one of my favorite bars for taste. There not bland and there not super sweet. I think there perfect on taste. Chocolate chip being my favorite!

Ingredients: 7/10 My only complaint for this bar would be not having enough protein. With 10g i find it a little lacking. Carbs are around 43g and about 230 calories, so this is a great snack for anyone lacking in carbs on some day.

Value: 8/10 I buy this at Wal-mart for about 6 dollars per box(6 bars). Which to me is a pretty good deal. A dollar per bar is alright with me.

Overall: 8/10 While the protein may be a little lacking i think the taste and value make up for it. I eat this bar a lot for my breakfast and it helps get the day going. Anyone needing to add some protein and carbs to their daily macros would love this as a snack. And for the value and taste i would definitely recommend it!
      92SCtbird
        August 29, 2011

So i tried one of these Clif bars today while at school, i had a 3 hour long lecture style math class and found myself starting to doze off within the first hour and a half, my professor gave us a 20 minute break so i went out to my car to grab a snack, ate this little bad boy and in no time did it wake me back up, i was completely focused the last hour and a half of class and even still felt good clean energy afterwards.

these energy bars are so good i am going to start taking them with my pwo shake and even as part of my breakfast in the mornings.

these Clif bars really impressed me but i should have known they would work with all the clean carbs in them, however i wish they had more protein to offer..
      celtics
        August 3, 2010

Clif Bars taste really good compared to most energy bars. These bars are made with a lot of organic foods, which can make you feel a little better about what you're putting into your body. Sometimes if I got little sleep, I'll buy one of these bars and maybe something with a little caffeine in it to give me a boost, and it works like magic. You start to feel a lot more energy and focused, due to the healthy carbs in this bar. I'm a big fan of oats, so these bars are always awesome. I'd recommend this to everyone looking for a quick pick me up or whatever you may need and looking for some extra energy.