Builders Bar

By: Clif

Builders Bar is a Protein Bar manufactured by Clif. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Does Builders Bar work?
OptimumPump
  December 19, 2010

Alright so its been awhile since Ive done a supplement review since I've pretty much stopped using supplements other then whey protein powder(which technically is food). I've had several of these bars in the past and recently bought a whole box of em to add variety to my diet and prevent me from binging. Theres 20g of protein in one of these things which is enough for someone like me who doesnt weigh that much, but I'd imagine someone really heavy would find that theres not enough protein in these. The taste is fantastic and it really has a candy bar flavor to it, its also nice to know that the ingredients lean towards the organic side as opposed to using artificial flavors and chemicals like other protein bars(Big 100). The bar is also nicely sized making more satifying to eat then some other bars that I come off as bite sized snacks more then a real protein bar. Now that Im done giving out the positives I will now focus on the negatives. The calories round out at 270 calories per bar which is sort of alot, especially for someone my weight who has a overall lower TDEE. The fat content is moderately high to being at 8 grams per bar. The sugar and carb content is also high, with there being 20 grams of sugar and 30 grams of carbs. The back of the box says low glycemic, but Im not sure how something can be low glycemic when there is 20 grams of sugar in it! This is definately not a bar you use when you are losing weight and getting rid of fat. If you are strictly trying to gain muscle then maybe it would be ok to have one of these while your busy at work or school or traveling and just cant eat a regular meal, OR if you just want to treat yourself with purpose(providing protein for recovery) then having these could be useful especially if your a big guy who can take in alot of calories without it all going to the gut. Definately would not recommend this to anyone trying to lose weight, or lose weight and gain muscle at the same time as there is alot of empty calories. Its more of a moderately healthy treat and way of supressing your cravings then a useful addition to your diet. You can eat 2 cups of mixed vegetables and 3/4 cups of egg whites, get the same amount of calories and protein while getting in much more fiber to keep yourself full and much needed vitamins and minerals to nourish your body.
  • Organic Ingredients
  • Moderately Healthy Treat To Have Once In A While
  • Convenient Meal Replacement For Someone On The Go All The Time
  • Good Amount Of Protein For Light-weight People
  • Too Much Sugar
  • Too Much Fat
  • Too Much Empty Calories
  • How Is It Low Glycemic When There Is 20g Of Sugar?

• Cray
    December 19, 2010

This look like an excellent review, but the gigantic block of unbroken text makes it near impossible to read.
  • OptimumPump
    December 19, 2010

Sorry about that, I actually realized that after seeing what the review looked like after posting it. I didnt realize how long it was, Ill be sure to break it up next time into paragraphs.
  • Cray
    December 19, 2010

Yeah sometimes the formatting gets a little screwy.

I like these bars exactly as you described them - a craving curber. The Cookies'n'Creme is money.

Very nice review. I look forward to reading more.
umatkd
  April 14, 2010

As of lately I've been trying to eat more organic. These bars are all organic and have fairly high protein and fiber. The calories are low (270) and only 8 grams of fat. To top it off they taste great. I have yet to have a flavor I don't like. A lot of times I feel icky or sluggish after eating a protein bar but with these I feel pretty good after eating them. These bars are sold in most grocery stores so they sre easy to find.
 Cons:

So I'm currently bulking and I work a ton of hours and this makes for a great mid-day or mid-morning snack.

Taste 8/10
I love the cookies n cream and mint chocolate. they do have other flavors so you can find your favorite.The only problem is it leaves a numb feeling in your mouth after and a chalk like after taste.

Value 8/10

Taste 8/10

Value 8/10
Clif is a very well known company and you can find them just about anywhere that sells health foods. For one bar its between 1.50-2.50 and for a box of 6 you can get them for around 7.95.They fit into just about everyones budget on a bulk diet.The only down side is there are other brands that do the same thing slightly cheaper so you pay more for the reputation of the company.

Ingredients7/10
This is clifs only down fall in my personal opinion. The builder bar seems to have a lot of empty calories you might feel hungery an hour or so later.Also it is very high in sugar content a 20G.It does have 20G of protein witch on a bulk diet is great for those times in need of a quick protein fix.I would compare the content in the Clif bar to the like of the EAS Myoplex or the snickers marathon bar.

Overall 8/10
The Clif Builders Bar is a decent protein snack and by no means should be used as a Meal Replacement bar.The cost is pretty cheap compared to other protein snacks in its catagory.I will continue to use Clif Builders Bars on a bulk diet, but may think of a different bar when cutting.
  • Great Mid-day Snack
  • Too Much Sugar
  • Too Much Empty Calories
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.