COR Performance Whey Reviews

By: Cellucor

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #12 of 94 (better than 88%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

COR Performance Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Cellucor. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (4)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
14095mg

Purest form of whey protein that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

COMPARE SIMILAR

SergioPLR12
  November 16, 2013

Hello everybody! Just finished a bit tub of this and it has worked great actually. The big COR Performance series from Cellucor really caught my atention and since it was on sale, I decided to give it a try. I bought the Whey and the BCAA's, but that's another story. So, cutting to the chase, this is my review.

Dose: 1 scoop after my workout and 1 scoop on my mid-morning meal

Effectiveness: 8.5/10
Pretty good actually, not the best recovery I've had but it did the job. Overall recovery was good, I judge the effectiveness based on both recovery and digestion. On the second aspect, my stomach took it well, sometimes I found it to be a little heavy but nothing significant

Taste: 7/10
Not the best aspect of the product actually. I had the Molten Chocolate flavor and I really like it at first, but but later on it became a little heavy and dense.

Mixability: 7/10
The reason I'm giving this a 7 is that sometimes I found that the powder hadn't actually disolved very well. I use my smartshaker almost every time and every now and then I could feel the powder on my mouth(not really enjoyable). However, when I used a blender, this wasn't so usual.

Good price, considering the amount of protein and BCAA's per serving, looks like a good deal to me. I really don't get much vote in this aspect since I live in Peru and here the prices are really different, but I base my rating on the regular prices from bb.com, amazon, etc.

Profile: 8/10
I liked the profile, 25gr of protein per serving is a pretty good deal actually, 5.5gr of BCAA's at 130 calories? Sounds good to me! Really liked the introduction of lactase in the product by the way.

Liked the product actually, it's definetely not my fav whey protein but it did the job. I think Cellucor really could do something about the mixability and taste, but then again, this is still a kind of new series.

Hope you found it helpful guys, if you have some questions about the product or the review, just reply.

Cheers!
  • Inclusion Of Lactase
  • Not All Flavors Mix Well
  • Didn't Like Molten Chocolate
DanTheManski
  May 31, 2013

I'm catching a little bit time to review this one. There's not much to say, so I'm not gonna drag this out.

Taste:

Cinnamon Swirl - 5/10

Molten Chocolate - 9.5/10

Peanut Butter Marshmallow - 9/10

Yeah, I know. You guys think I'm crazy. The Swirl just doesn't taste good to me whatsoever. I've tried it in milk, water, almond milk, oats. Just nothing about it is appealing to me in the least bit.

Chocolate and PBM however, are delicious. Molten Chocolate easily takes the cake for the most delicious protein I've had in a while, while PBM is just simple, smooth, and something that you really look forward to drinking. S/O to Cellucor. You guys nailed the taste.

This protein I believe is on par with GS and all the other proteins on the market, besides your whey isolate's of course. I don't notice an increase in recovery at all, but then again, I never did with any product except for AfterGlow, and thats an arm and a leg.

Cellucor's whey is just one of those old fashioned proteins thats very simple and effective as a snack, post workout, or before bed.

Solid 8 here. Not expensive at all. I bought the BB.com deal where for $60 after shipping I got 3 tubs of Cellucor's whey and a C4. So $60 for 75+ servings, is OK. But not fantastic.

With 5.5 grams of BCAA's, 25g of Protein per scoop, and 130 calories, this simple protein is great for anyone I believe. It's delicious, and cellucor continues to impress us with simple, effective products.

Back to the Log,

DanThaManski
mempp9
  June 26, 2013

I often find myself getting bored with whey proteins. I find one that I like, but after a few tubs it's time to move on. After using MTS Whey (already reviewed), I had to find something good enough to fill its shoes. Cellucore Performance Whey was my next choice for multiple reasons. I couldn't resist the Peanut Butter Marshmallow flavor, and Bodybuilding.com had an awesome sale at the time (three 2 lb tubs with free 30 serving C4 for $70). I got the Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Molten Chocolate, and Cookies and Cream. They were all awesome!

Calories: 120
Protein: 25g
Carbs: 3g
Fat: 1.5g

Results (9/10): All right, we all know that it is difficult to test the results from whey proteins due to other supplements being taken, training styles, diet, etc. However, I will say that it didn't cause any stomach discomfort or GI issues. I certainly didn't stop making gains, so it worked well for me. I was doing high volume training and the BCAA content of this protein kept me feeling great.

Taste (9.5/10): Wow. All three flavors were amazing! I'll break it down by flavor to keep things short, sweet, yet informative.

Cookies and Cream: Great taste and very sweet. It has little chunks of chocolate in it that sink to the bottom, but it's a nice addition.

Molten Chocolate: I have to admit that I waited too long to try this because I assumed it would be very generic. Man, was I wrong. This was a surprisingly great chocolate flavor that wasn't too rich, but just perfect.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow: This was amazing! It was a great mix of both flavors. I would describe it was being a peanut butter flavor that is toned down a bit. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something new to try.

I won't rank each flavor individually because everyone has different taste preferences. I will say, however, that every supplement I've had from Cellucore has been great!

Mixability (9.5/10): Mixed great but had a tiny bit of foam. No big deal. It didn't clump or sink to the bottom.

Value (9/10): Okay I'm biased on this one because I got such a great deal, but I feel that they are priced fairly in most of their products. The Cellucore website offers free shipping, which is nice. Oh, and there are discount codes if you look for them. NWB is a 20% off code (Nick Wright Bodybuilding is sponsored by Cellucore I believe). There ya go...20% off and free shipping!

Overall (9.5/10): Not only does this taste great, it is well priced, and has exciting flavors. I would certainly recommend this whey to anyone looking to try it. I will be buying it again in the future.
    kalans

August 29, 2015
    Verified Full-Container Use Through SR TROOPs

I was given the opportunity to test and review Cellucor: COR Performance Whey through the SRTroops program here on SupplementReviews.com, which I want to give a BIG Shout out and THANK YOU to SupplementReviews and Cellucor! Thank you for participating in our TROOPS reviewing program, and personally for the chance to test and review this product! This review is for the 26 serving product (2lb), in Red Velvet Cake Batter flavor.

Formula
    Seen below in the image, you can see the many different ingredients contained in COR Performance Whey which is contained in a Proprietary Blend! Yet while they are contained in a Proprietary Blend several other ingredients are shown in their dosages on the label. "For those who aren't aware, Proprietary Blends are ingredients listed in a total mix where the dosages of each are not known. There are many drawbacks to the consumer when the ingredients are given in this way, but one important element you need to know is how effective it is!" I include the supplement label in my reviews in case a product does a non-disclosed ingredient change in such a way you know that the product in this review is the one that matches your label.

The COR-Performance Whey Protein Matrix contains two quality forms of protein, but it is not disclosed how much of each is contained. It is possible that the Concentrate could be sprinkled due to it being listed in brackets with the Isolate, but either way I am ok with that because I LOVE Isolate and for this price you are getting a good amount of it. This is a "blended" protein powder, meaning not a single pure protein product. Then we see two thickeners, which is quite a combo! Cellulose Gum + Xanthan Gum, which in combo will provide a quality thickened shake but was a bit too think for my liking. The bigger winner for me is the inclusion of Lactase which is a digestive enzyme, allowing for better absorption of this product and whatever you may also have in your system! My issue with that is that there is no telling how much Lactase is included, which I feel was a bit on the low end especially since it is listed last in the ingredients. Low Carb/Sugar (1g), Minimal Fat (1.5g), High Protein (25g), Naturally Occurring BCAA's (Up To 5.5g), and Gluten Free (for those who have issues). It is a bit on the lower end of Protein per scoop with a 71.4% of protein per scoop, but does stand toe to toe with some other big name proteins (definitely better than being in the mid 60s, but not the best).

Mixability
    I used several different cups/bottles to mix this product including: a mesh screened shaker cup, and wire ball shaker cup. Each time in all of these cups I mixed 1-2 rounded scoops (35g/70g) to the 12/16/18/20/24 ounces of water. The mixability of this product is very good and is almost perfect, but you may have some clumping if you do not have a completely dried container. The directions indicate to mix one scoop with 6-12 ounces of water, which I went ahead and tried mixing this at varying amounts of water to change the level of sweetness and thickness that I desired. I feel that more water did in fact help with the mixability, but once you pass the 16 ounce mark it would bring the flavor down (based off of 1 scoop) in addition to that I was not able to make it with the thickness I liked. As I added more scoops I found that it tasted best with 14 ounces of water per scoop, but then again some like it a little sweeter than others.

Taste
    Below I have the rating for the container flavor that I was sent "Red Velvet Cake Batter", and Cellucor sent my three other flavors in the 4 serving packets which was awesome of them! Mint Chocolate Chip, Whipped Vanilla, and Strawberry Milkshake which are all rated below. I will note that the flavors did stay true to what they are described as "whipped" was really "fluffy" but tasted like a vanilla marshmallow, Red Velvet Cake Batter tasted so much like the name, Mint Chocolate Chip tasted TOO Minty, and Strawberry Milkshake was by far the best tasting of the four flavors I tasted! With a product like this it is important to have it taste well, as you are not meant to chug it down! With COR-Performance I know that flavors were solid, but it did not affect my overall score for this product.

Typically I followed the directions with 1 scoop being used for most of the duration of the container, but based on my nutritional needs I would add a second scoop. The container took me a while to finish because at the time my protein intake was reduced with my flexible dieting program, but it went very well with some pancakes at the end of the night where I could hit my remaining macros.

Effectiveness (8.8/10)
    Protein powder is meant to help you get in the Protein Macronutrients you need, but can also aid in recovery due to the Naturally Occurring BCAA's or additional ingredients (Lactase in this case) which aided somewhat in digestion. So let's start with digestion, it was good and on par with most Protein products I have used but should have been better with the inclusion of Lactase (digestion enzyme) which I feel is under dosed to be really any more effective. I never really felt bloated or "yuck" while taking COR-Performance Whey, which has happened to me with other products before. Cellucor does advertise that the protein is help maintain and build lean muscle which I know and felt it met, and that it does go well as a snack/meal replacement which it really did. It met my expectations of a Protein powder, and the advertised claims but fell a bit short due to not being as well digested as it should have with the added Lactase.

Value (6.8/10)
    The container comes with 26 servings for the 2lb container, coming out to $1.15 per serving which is on the higher end for a blended protein powder. You of course will find the cost per serving become cheaper as you buy the larger container, but vary per flavor. Red velvet cake batter is only available in the 2lb container, which is the only flavor I am rating based on value.

Overall (8.5/10)
    I would and have definitely recommended this product, and I have purchased this product in the past. This product comes from a solid trustworthy company, but with the bigger name comes a bigger price. Normally I base my protein powder purchases around quality, price, and taste which Cellucor did deliver but I know of other options that do have higher amounts of protein per serving which would make my decision based on price in comparison.

I want to say thank you again to SupplementReviews.com, and Cellucor for allowing me the opportunity to review their product COR-Performance Whey! Thank you for reading, and comment below!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Mixability
    • Inclusion Of Lactase
    • Red Velvet Cake Batter: 8/10
    jasonstith90
      January 24, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
    I'm not a fan of pure whey proteins. I prefer to go with a mixture of at least whey and casein, if not adding in egg protein as well. Whey is the fast digesting protein that is great for when you get out of bed and whenever you want the protein in your system asap.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    I thought that the molten chocolate was very good, but I have a sweet tooth.
    For me, it mixed decently. There was always some residue left over. If I used a funnel, there was always powder lingering on the funnel.
    It is an average sized dose for protein supplements.

----Effectiveness----
    It worked decently, but not more than the average protein on the market does.

----Value----
    To me, it was comparative to other protein supplements on the market. It would be worth it if they added in casein and egg proteins so muscle protein synthesis would last longer, making it more effective.

----Side Effects----
    I did not experience any side effects.

----Conclusion----
    To sum up, it tasted pretty good. I don't think that I will try this again, unless they redo the ingredient profile. They put too much emphasis on flavor and not enough on performance.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great In Milk
    • No Side Effects
    • Inclusion Of Sucralose
    • Lacks Slow Digesting Proteins
    • Lacks Medium Digesting Proteins
    Supps2Grow
      July 25, 2014

I like this protein for one reason. the Flavor selection is awesome! The S'mores is GREAT in oatmeal with some cinnamon, the Confetti is also great in oatmeal and protein pancakes, the PB is awesome in oatmeal with PB lol. And the Chocolate is good for all the above, plus your conventional protein shakes. I won't pay full price for this protein being a whey blend it's just not worth it. HOWEVER, if you can find a good deal, like a but 2 get one free then I would do it. My rule of thumb, I won't pay more then $10 an /LB unless it's a 100% whey isolate (or hydrolyzed).

Mixability is great for all. Taste I already mentioned above. I would say s'more is my favorite, that that's in oatmeal. I would rather use another brand for shakes, but personally I use the tasty protein's more for cooking (at least these days I seem to), just makes it a little more fun!

No side effects. No bad after taste. No inconsistency with flavors or quality. Oh and cellular packaging is always good. lol.

I like the profile, it's not bad. pretty standard for a 100% iso/concentrate. hopefully it's majority isolate but you never know these days.

All in all I would recommend the protein, I would try all the flavors, they're all great. A lot of people seem to like the cinnamon one also, I found the vanilla to be just the same if you add some cinnamon of your own (and then with plain vanilla you have the option of flavoring it otherwise too. win win)

Hope this review is helpful.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Amazing Taste
    • Great Mixability
    • Great In Water &/or In Milk
      htevans

Vitamin A 0%
      Vitamin C 0%
      Calcium 20%
      Iron 4%
      Cor-Performance Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Sucralose, Protease A-S, Lactase.

I really like the use of both concentrate and isolate here and it was a real selling point for me. Solid sources of whey (no ion-exchange, etc). Just an overall solid profile.

Mixability: 8/10
      Generally this product mixed well. With the suggested 8oz of water I felt it was a little too thin so I usually went with about 6oz, but I just eyeballed it. This worked well with one scoop but when using 2 scoops with around 12-14oz of water, there was some clumping. I guess I can't complain too much because I like my shakes a little thicker.

Taste: 9/10
      I ordered a 5lb tub of the Peanut Butter Marshmallow after finishing off a tub of Chocolate MTS Whey. I was looking for something different I had just gone through 5 tubs of chocolate flavored proteins. After reading tons of good reviews I decided to try the PB Marshmallow. Upon opening the tub I could smell the PB flavor from a good distance. I only used this with water and it tasted as it should have. I give it a 9/10 because the marshmallow was a little too faint for my liking. Personally I'll probably buy a different flavor because it was like drinking peanut butter but that is the flavor so I hate too much. I'd suggest this flavor for cooking and for big peanut butter fans, but others probably wouldn't want to commit to a 4lb tub like I did.

Effectiveness/Results: N/A
      Standard effects from a protein. Wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking, just normal recovery and such and that's what I got.

I didn't really find any super deals on this protein at the time of purchase (about 2 months ago), and trust me I looked everywhere. With that said, I got it for 50$ shipped which wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for free shipping though it would have been about 55-60$ depending on the site. Anywhere in this price range is just average for 54 servings in my opinion.

In the end, this is a solid product. I'd probably suggest trying a different flavor first but the profile is sound and that is what really counts. Still, being able to stomach the protein is pretty crucial as well and while drinking liquid peanut butter may not sound appealing, it was by no means torture. I'll be purchasing again in the future, just a different flavor.
        NoNrg
          July 9, 2014

Whey protein is an obvious staple for me following the type of high protein diet most of us on here do. I tend to bounce around between a couple different brands depending on price and what flavors I like/am sick of. I've been using Cellucor Cor-Performance Whey for about 6 tubs now and have liked it for the most part.

My general whey routine is a one scoop blended shake with fruit and peanut butter upon waking, sometimes a scoop mid-day and one post workout.

Below are the things I've noticed:

Mixability 9/10
        Mix perfectly in water, comes out a bit thicker but still great using almond milk.

Taste
        I'm going to review taste based on the flavors I have tried, some are great, some are meh.
        *Molten Chocolate - 7.5/10 Not bad, but a bit strong on the chocolate taste, more of a dark chocolate
        *Cinnamon Swirl - 8.5/10 Solid flavor reminding me of cinnamon oatmeal. Mixes well with fruit and berries if blended
        *Whipped Vanilla - 7/10 standard neutral vanilla flavor, nothing mind blowing here. Mixes cleanly with blended shakes if you like to flavor with fruit or other add-ins
        *Strawberry Milkshake - 7.5/10 Not bad for a strawberry flavor. I've had some brands that tasted like straight chemical azz. This one came close to nailing it, but still came off as artificial.
        *S'Mores (bb.com exclusive flavor) - 5.5/10 Flavor was so-so, but included one of my whey protein pet peeves, bits and pieces. Bits of hard marshmallow and graham cracker bits sink to the bottom for a nice mouthful at the end of your shake. Not sure why this flavor has a 9 taste rating on bb.com
        *Cookies & Cream - 6/10 Same as S'mores with the floatys, just not as aggressive. Able to tolerate it through a 2lb tub

Effectiveness 8/10
        I can only say for effectiveness that digestion was not an issue during any of my shakes and continues to be easy drinking. Protein farts towards the end of the day are a given, but thats to be expected.

Value 7/10
        Standard price is $29.99 for 2lbs (26srv) or $49.99 for 4lbs (54srv). This puts it on par with most of the offerings on the market these days. There always seems to be deal on it somewhere though so be on the lookout. (bb.com has a buy 2 get one deal on 2lb tubs).

Conclusion
        Good overall whey protein that I am happy to make a staple in my routine for the time being.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Amazing Taste
        • Great Mixability
        • Great In Water &/or In Milk
          IronBrother
            July 30, 2013

The Cellucor Cor Performance series was rather promising, but i always found it to be too expensive for my taste, having the ZMAs at 40$ and BCAAs at 40$ as well. Finding theprotein for 50$ for 52-56 servings (Depending on the flavor) then i found it to be very resonable. I have also never tried a Cellucor product.

Profile - 8.5. Very clean profile, having the proteins coming from Isolate and Concentrate and having the only downside being the sucralose, which honestly isnt going to do anythign drastic at all.

Taste/Mixability - 9. Only tried the Whipped Vanilla, but am definitely gonna give the PB Marshmellow a go. Whipped vanilla was very very tasty and mixed well in a half USP and half Cellucor sludge. I would definitely get Whipped Vanilla again but definitely want to give Cinnamon Swirl and PB Marshmellow a try.

Value - 8.5. Like i said, you find it for around 45-50$ so the price tag isnt bad at all. Going to give the other flavors a try for sure.

Effectiveness - 9. Not much to say other than it has a solid profile, meets label claims (FYI, according to Marc Lobliners testing) and tasted great.

Overall, i think this is a good mix-up to the ON 100% and tastes much better, although i looovee the Cake Batter flavor of ON 100% and how they have so many flavors. Definitely give it a try, well worth it in my opinion.
          • Inclusion Of Sucralose
          Rogiebear
            May 22, 2013

Whenever I go to review a protein powder, I always wonder exactly how I should go about it! Regardless, I'll give it a shot. From when I first tasted Cellucor Cor Performance Whey to the moment the last scoop was done, I loved it. So let's begin:

Value - 8/10:
          It's hard to give any supplement a higher rating than an 8 out of 10 when you live in a country where it's going to be pricey regardless. In Australia, I had to pay a solid $20 - $30 USD more for a tub of this protein, which ended up coming to $87 AUD. Regardless of that fact, I probably will end up buying this again as I loved it and figure it's worth paying for a protein powder you enjoy.

Ingredient Profile - 9/10:
          As far the protein blend in this goes, it seems to be of high quality. The Ingredient list lists a Whey Protein Matrix which is comprised of more Whey Protein Isolate than Concentrate which is good to see, as many other blends short change you by including a less than preferable WPI and WPC ratio. It also includes a lot of the usual suspects when it comes to protein, protease and lactase, as well as the Artificial sweeteners Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium which I'm sure will turn some people off. As such, it gets a 9.

Mixability - 10/10:
          On the tub, it claims that it "mixes instantly" and I have to agree, I added a scoop into a shaker with almond milk and it mixed up clump free in a couple of shakes. That being said there was a small amount of foaminess, but that really doesn't bother me at all. 10 out of 10.

Taste/Texture - 10/10:
          I ordered the Cinnamon Swirl variety of Cor Whey and I have to admit it is quite possibly one of the most delicious proteins I have tried, especially considering the relatively small amount of fats and carbs (1.5g fat, 3g carbs with 1g from sugars). It's hard to describe what it tasted most like, almost like a chai latte if I had to make a judgement. It mixed into a smooth texture that was not overly thick and had a slight amount of foaminess, which I quite like actually as it almost adds to the chai latte feel that it has. This is an easy 10/10 for me.

All in all, I can't really judge the effectiveness of a protein powder because it is essentially just food. It helped me reach my macronutrient goals for each day, and it did so in such a way that I enjoyed it. I think that after I have tried the new Myofusion I will be coming back to try this in a new flavour, perhaps peanut butter marshmallow.