COR Performance Whey

By Cellucor
COR Performance Whey Cellucor
8.5/10
(Weighted average based on 34 Reviews)

Ranks #9 of 107 (better than 92%)
in Protein > Whey Protein

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 20%
Iron 4%
Cor-Performance Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Sucralose, Protease A-S, Lactase.

I really like the use of both concentrate and isolate here and it was a real selling point for me. Solid sources of whey (no ion-exchange, etc). Just an overall solid profile.

Mixability: 8/10
Generally this product mixed well. With the suggested 8oz of water I felt it was a little too thin so I usually went with about 6oz, but I just eyeballed it. This worked well with one scoop but when using 2 scoops with around 12-14oz of water, there was some clumping. I guess I can't complain too much because I like my shakes a little thicker.

Taste: 9/10
I ordered a 5lb tub of the Peanut Butter Marshmallow after finishing off a tub of Chocolate MTS Whey. I was looking for something different I had just gone through 5 tubs of chocolate flavored proteins. After reading tons of good reviews I decided to try the PB Marshmallow. Upon opening the tub I could smell the PB flavor from a good distance. I only used this with water and it tasted as it should have. I give it a 9/10 because the marshmallow was a little too faint for my liking. Personally I'll probably buy a different flavor because it was like drinking peanut butter but that is the flavor so I hate too much. I'd suggest this flavor for cooking and for big peanut butter fans, but others probably wouldn't want to commit to a 4lb tub like I did.

Effectiveness/Results: N/A
Standard effects from a protein. Wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking, just normal recovery and such and that's what I got.

I didn't really find any super deals on this protein at the time of purchase (about 2 months ago), and trust me I looked everywhere. With that said, I got it for 50$ shipped which wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for free shipping though it would have been about 55-60$ depending on the site. Anywhere in this price range is just average for 54 servings in my opinion.

In the end, this is a solid product. I'd probably suggest trying a different flavor first but the profile is sound and that is what really counts. Still, being able to stomach the protein is pretty crucial as well and while drinking liquid peanut butter may not sound appealing, it was by no means torture. I'll be purchasing again in the future, just a different flavor.

Cons:

Delicious taste? Of cellu-course it has!

Whenever I go to review a protein powder, I always wonder exactly how I should go about it! Regardless, I'll give it a shot. From when I first tasted Cellucor Cor Performance Whey to the moment the last scoop was done, I loved it. So let's begin:

Value - 8/10:
    It's hard to give...

Value - 8/10:
    It's hard to give any supplement a higher rating than an 8 out of 10 when you live in a country where it's going to be pricey regardless. In Australia, I had to pay a solid $20 - $30 USD more for a tub of this protein, which ended up coming to $87 AUD. Regardless of that fact, I probably will end up buying this again as I loved it and figure it's worth paying for a protein powder you enjoy.

Ingredient Profile - 9/10:
    As far the protein blend in this goes, it seems to be of high quality. The Ingredient list lists a Whey Protein Matrix which is comprised of more Whey Protein Isolate than Concentrate which is good to see, as many other blends short change you by including a less than preferable WPI and WPC ratio. It also includes a lot of the usual suspects when it comes to protein, protease and lactase, as well as the Artificial sweeteners Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium which I'm sure will turn some people off. As such, it gets a 9.

Mixability - 10/10:
    On the tub, it claims that it "mixes instantly" and I have to agree, I added a scoop into a shaker with almond milk and it mixed up clump free in a couple of shakes. That being said there was a small amount of foaminess, but that really doesn't bother me at all. 10 out of 10.

Taste/Texture - 10/10:
    I ordered the Cinnamon Swirl variety of Cor Whey and I have to admit it is quite possibly one of the most delicious proteins I have tried, especially considering the relatively small amount of fats and carbs (1.5g fat, 3g carbs with 1g from sugars). It's hard to describe what it tasted most like, almost like a chai latte if I had to make a judgement. It mixed into a smooth texture that was not overly thick and had a slight amount of foaminess, which I quite like actually as it almost adds to the chai latte feel that it has. This is an easy 10/10 for me.

All in all, I can't really judge the effectiveness of a protein powder because it is essentially just food. It helped me reach my macronutrient goals for each day, and it did so in such a way that I enjoyed it. I think that after I have tried the new Myofusion I will be coming back to try this in a new flavour, perhaps peanut butter marshmallow.

• Strong Artificial Smell For Some Flavors

cssrss

Posted May 22, 2013
    Hahahaha! I been using this supplement for a while with great results so I didn't need to read your review, BUT you tag line was so hilarious I just had to!

Posted May 22, 2013
    Classic title bro. But this stuff might be the best tasting whey protein out there.

This is by far my least favorite flavor

I discovered SR through a lifting partner that referred me to this site. I want to share personal experiences I have had with Cellucor products because I personally think they are one of the best and I definitely benefit from them. The only other product I have tried in the past is MusclePharm but nothing really compares to Cellucor's taste and effectiveness of their products. I have been taking this product for about two months now which doesn't seem like a long time but with Cellucor, you don't really need time to see progress because of how effective and awesome their products are! I have been lifting hard for about four months before using this product and then I recently started my cut about two weeks ago. I eat healthy and usually have a protein shake with my meals which doesn't allow me to eat as much and the protein by itself fills me which really helps with my diet. The results were definitely positive results because this products does what it's suppose to. I gained about 5-10 pounds of muscle within the last two to three months or so and since starting my cut I have lost about five pounds. There aren't any negative side effects of this product that I have experienced. I already love all of the flavors of this product so maybe a new flavor every now and then would make this product even better but there's really nothing I can complain about. I will definitely use this product again and probably all of the time.

Mixability: (10/10)
    This product mixes very well, especially if you have something similar to a blender shaker. Usually those come with some type of ball inside that way you don't get clumps and the one I have, the spiral ball in it always mixes my protein well and I never have clumps or tiny pieces of protein floating around.

Taste: (9/10)
    Of course it's protein so that's what it is going to taste like but you can taste the flavors when you mix them with milk/water but you can also tell at the same time that there is protein. It's not a bad thing but it would be probably even better if it tasted straight like the flavor and not protein at all but like I said, that's protein for you. I find that mixing the protein with milk tastes a lot better as well and even mixing different flavors.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow: (10/10)
    Definitely my favorite flavor. You can't taste the peanut butter more than the marshmallow and you can't taste the marshmallow more than the peanut butter. The flavors blend well. I sometimes mix this flavor with the molten chocolate and it's really close to tasting like a Reese's cup to me.

Molten Chocolate: (10/10)
    It taste a lot like chocolate pudding which I can't complain about. I'm not a huge chocolate fan but this being a Cellucor product, they don't overwhelm the flavor and this is my second favorite protein. I have made muffins with this protein and they turned out very well and delightful.

Whipped Vanilla: (8/10)
    This flavor by itself is not very tasteful. It is good but at the same time it taste plain. I have been mixing it with the molten chocolate which I find very appealing and the flavors mix well together. I have also been told you can use this flavor for a lot of deserts which I plan to try out sometime.

Strawberry Milkshake: (3/10)
    This is by far my least favorite flavor. When I first received the product, I was excited to taste it. I did notice that it is white in the tub but turns pink when you mix it with milk. You can taste the strawberry but it's more in an oatmeal form and not a milkshake form. I was a little disappointed with how it tasted and this is probably the only flavor that I don't enjoy as much.

• Great In Milk

NoNrg

NoNrg's COR Performance Whey Review - Solid Whey at a Standard Price

Whey protein is an obvious staple for me following the type of high protein diet most of us on here do. I tend to bounce around between a couple different brands depending on price and what flavors I like/am sick of. I've been using Cellucor Cor-Performance Whey for about 6 tubs now and have liked it for the most part.

My general whey routine is a one scoop blended shake with fruit and peanut butter upon waking, sometimes a scoop mid-day and one post workout.

Below are the things I've noticed:

Mixability 9/10
      Mix perfectly in water, comes out a bit thicker but still great using almond milk.

Taste
      I'm going to review taste based on the flavors I have tried, some are great, some are meh.
      *Molten Chocolate - 7.5/10 Not bad, but a bit strong on the chocolate taste, more of a dark chocolate
      *Cinnamon Swirl - 8.5/10 Solid flavor reminding me of cinnamon oatmeal. Mixes well with fruit and berries if blended
      *Whipped Vanilla - 7/10 standard neutral vanilla flavor, nothing mind blowing here. Mixes cleanly with blended shakes if you like to flavor with fruit or other add-ins
      *Strawberry Milkshake - 7.5/10 Not bad for a strawberry flavor. I've had some brands that tasted like straight chemical azz. This one came close to nailing it, but still came off as artificial.
      *S'Mores (bb.com exclusive flavor) - 5.5/10 Flavor was so-so, but included one of my whey protein pet peeves, bits and pieces. Bits of hard marshmallow and graham cracker bits sink to the bottom for a nice mouthful at the end of your shake. Not sure why this flavor has a 9 taste rating on bb.com
      *Cookies & Cream - 6/10 Same as S'mores with the floatys, just not as aggressive. Able to tolerate it through a 2lb tub

Effectiveness 8/10
      I can only say for effectiveness that digestion was not an issue during any of my shakes and continues to be easy drinking. Protein farts towards the end of the day are a given, but thats to be expected.

Value 7/10
      Standard price is $29.99 for 2lbs (26srv) or $49.99 for 4lbs (54srv). This puts it on par with most of the offerings on the market these days. There always seems to be deal on it somewhere though so be on the lookout. (bb.com has a buy 2 get one deal on 2lb tubs).

Conclusion
      Good overall whey protein that I am happy to make a staple in my routine for the time being.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Amazing Taste
      • Great Mixability
      • Great In Water &/or In Milk

I did make some sludge though which tasted great.

Macros:
        25g protein
        5.5g bcaa
        130 calories
        1.5g fat
        3g carbs
        Packaging:
        I think the cor series line has great new style design for its packaging. Catches your eye but not to flashy.

Mixability:
        Cor-whey mixes very easily. There is...
        Macros:
        25g protein
        5.5g bcaa
        130 calories
        1.5g fat
        3g carbs
        Packaging:

Mixability:
        Cor-whey mixes very easily. There is no clumping or left over protein particles that do not mix.

Taste:
        Now I am not a huge chocolate fan at all. Chocolate flavor just is not my thing. Especially when it comes to proteins because they have real artficial taste.

Now cellucor has always had great flavors so I figured I would give this one a shot. When I first tried it the choclate flavor tasted very good not artificial at all. More a long the lines of say a hershey bar, not gritty tasting at all.

At first try I used 12oz of water, which gave it the perfect consitancy and flavor, but made me feel a little bloated due to all the water after my workout. So I tried again with 6 ounces of water which made it very thick and sweet. Which I dont care much for. Still had great chocalte flavor but for I will use cor-whey as snacks through out the day and supersport post workout

I did make some sludge though which tasted great.

Results: I used cor-whey for a month. Helped great with my recovery and saw some lean muscle gains. Not crazy strength gains but I did end up recording some PR's while on the new cor-whey.

• Great In Water &/or In Milk

Overall, the most important thing to me is something that mixes fast

This review is for molten chocolate, peanut butter marshmallow, Cinnamon Swirl and Cookies N Cream!

Individually I prefer the sweet chocolate taste of MC, relative to the sweet Pb taste of PBM, which are 2 of my favorites of the above 4 flavors. However, all 4 flavors are amazing and give you distinct twists on current flavors out there!

Chocolate flavored protein has always been my go to source for shakes, and this one certainly didn't disappoint me at all!!
          There's not much one can say in regards to making a chocolate protein taste be significantly different than others, but this tasted like a legit chocolate bar!
          The one protein I've had for the longest time has tasted like chocolate milk, but this has a little stronger chocolate flavoring making it a little more sweet and a completely nice change-up that hits my sweet tooth perfectly for post-workout or even a little mid-day snack

This protein is exactly what you want if you're looking for a sweeter tasting chocolate shake!

The taste of the PBM is more on the PB side, but gives a nice distinct change from any of the PB & chocolate mix proteins I have tasted in the past. The best way I can describe it is how I used to add scoops of PB into vanilla protein a long time ago

**and if you want a real treat ... try doing 1 scoop of molten chocolate with 1/4-1/2 scoop of PBM and you'll hit one amazing combination of chocolate and peanut butter for a shake! :D

I've never had any protein Cinnamon flavored, so matching some other type to this is impossible for me. All I can say is that it was the perfect change from anything I've ever had before! Nice and sweet, like a sweetened vanilla shake, but not quite too overpowering

**and if you want a real treat, try mixing a cinnamon swirl shake and pouring it over a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch!!! = amazing!!

The flavoring for CnC seemed to be a little off/a miss for me, more so on the cream side relative to the cookie flavor. Although I was happy about the improved mixability of the CnC relative to every other company out there with this flavor, due to not having an excessive amount of cookie pieces in it!

--------------------------

Profile = 9/10

⇒ This part is key for me when it comes to protein, considering I have frequent bowel issues from IBS and lactose intolerance. Having a great protein, such as the CPW, that has isolate components to be rapidly absorbed, and still maintaining a good degree of digestive enzymes to help ensure I'm not grabbing my stomach in pain shortly after drinking the shake = exactly what I'm looking for.

For the CPW after having multiple shakes varying from 1-2 scoops I've been absolutely fine without any stomach upset at all. To me, based on this alone, this gives the profile exactly what I need, but if you start looking at other factors, such as the protein being clearly marked as Gluten-free then this just puts the protein into one of my top choices (considering my gf is Celiac and I like to make sure that when she's using my protein she won't be having any negative effects from it!)
          Those points are great for me ... but when you considering what other people want, being a good amt of protein per scoop, low calories/fat/carbs, then this protein hits the mark on the money and gives you exactly what you're looking for!

---------------------------------------------

Mixability = 8.5/10

⇒ Typically I have my shakes with water, but seeing as I'm home for the holidays I was able to test out having the shake with almond milk as well as with water (about 10-12oz of either water/milk for 1 shake).
          Overall, the most important thing to me is something that mixes fast, as I typically drink my shake after the gym/on my way to clinic in the morning & don't have much time to waste. With the statement of the CPW being that it mixes instantly I wanted to put it to the test, and with varying times of shaking (8-12 seconds shaking if with water, or 4-8 seconds on a blender if using milk) I would get the protein nearly to where I wanted it to be.
          I'm not going to say it mixes quite as perfectly as C4 does, due to a few remaining small grainy pieces on the side of the cup being visible after drinking the shake, but for the most part the mixability ensured there were no overtly large clumps and allowed for me to down the shake fast without any problems or the need to close the lid/re-shake it! (This is more so in reference to when shaking it with water, whereas when blending the protein with milk it mixes quite perfectly).

• Great In Water &/or In Milk

It mixed very well in water

First thing I noticed was the creamy vanilla aroma that comes out when first open the jug. Next is the mixing part. It mixed very well in water, nearly perfect with little sticking to the walls of the cup. Next came the taste. The taste was a very very light vanilla cake batter taste. A little light for me, but you can make it sweeter if you prefer it to be and I did. At 25g per protein per scoop and low to mid 100's calories per scoop makes this one a winner. Also this blends well with other flavors i.e. carbs.

Posted February 24, 2013
              The above review was for the whipped vanilla. I also tried the molten chocolate and cookies and cream.

The cookies and cream taste was a mild cookie taste with crunchy chocolate chips at the bottom. What I liked most about this one is the larger chocolate chips at the bottom of the cup. Most companies have tiny chips in their cookies and cream. Not Cellucor!

I also tried the molten chocolate. The taste was chocolate, but in between dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I haven't had any chocolate close enough to compare it to, but it was a unique chocolate. It wasn't creamy like the super sport milk chocolate, but not bitter like dark chocolate. It's right in between. I liked this one, though I prefer the cookies and cream to this one.

I highly recommend it.

Had the opportunity to try a tub of both cinnamon swirl and Peanut Butter Marshmallow. Let's jump into the review with my favorite part of this new protein, the taste. I've had the unfortunate luck of trying some terrible tasting and clumpy shakes; this was not one of them. My new favorite tasting protein is the Cinnamon swirl, I went so far as to order three more tubs from BB.com. As for the mix-ability I used a shaker bottle which left no clumps and made the consitency of a watery milkshake. Because it tasted so good I started to make my shakes at night and refridgerate them til morning. The cost per serving is around a dollar so comparable to any other major proteins on the current market. Very pleased with the new addition to the COR series and will be sticking with this product as my go-to whey. It's not "Super Sport" but it is definitely a solid everyday protein. If you're looking for the edge or just made a new year's resolution and need a solid protein then try some for yourslef; I highly recommend it.

Cons:

Great for the price and profile.

The Cellucor Cor Performance series was rather promising, but i always found it to be too expensive for my taste, having the ZMAs at 40$ and BCAAs at 40$ as well. Finding theprotein for 50$ for 52-56 servings (Depending on the flavor) then i found it to be very resonable. I have also never tried a Cellucor product.

Profile - 8.5. Very clean profile, having the proteins coming from Isolate and Concentrate and having the only downside being the sucralose, which honestly isnt going to do anythign drastic at all.

Taste/Mixability - 9. Only tried the Whipped Vanilla, but am definitely gonna give the PB Marshmellow a go. Whipped vanilla was very very tasty and mixed well in a half USP and half Cellucor sludge. I would definitely get Whipped Vanilla again but definitely want to give Cinnamon Swirl and PB Marshmellow a try.

Value - 8.5. Like i said, you find it for around 45-50$ so the price tag isnt bad at all. Going to give the other flavors a try for sure.

Effectiveness - 9. Not much to say other than it has a solid profile, meets label claims (FYI, according to Marc Lobliners testing) and tasted great.

Overall, i think this is a good mix-up to the ON 100% and tastes much better, although i looovee the Cake Batter flavor of ON 100% and how they have so many flavors. Definitely give it a try, well worth it in my opinion.

• Inclusion Of Sucralose

Good stuff

Taste(Molten choc)(9/10)- This stuff tastes pretty d@mn good! I have tried this in water, fat free milk and almond milk and the taste is still great. Reminds me of a nice refreshing chocolate nestle kwik. I used the recommended liquid ratios for each scoop of protein powder and it worked out perfectly. I didn't need to adjust anything for flavor.

Mix ability(9/10)- Definitely mixes well in a regular shaker cup with a blender ball in it. No excess foam with this flavor and no clumping issues. Product fully mixes in 10 or so secs.

In conclusion, another winner from Cellucor! I highly recommend this product for anyone looking for a great tasting whey. Thumbs up to Cellucor for making another awesome product. Go buy some and see for yourself.

• Great In Milk