TROOP CP

COR Performance Whey Reviews

By: Cellucor

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #9 of 99 (better than 92%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

COR Performance Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Cellucor. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (6)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
16910mg

Purest form of whey protein (contains at least 90% protein) that maximizes protein synthesis and minimizes muscle breakdown with almost no carbs or fats.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)
CATEGORY AVG
14000mg

Rapidly digested form of protein rich in amino acids that helps support lean body mass gains and muscle protein synthesis.

COMPARE SIMILAR

NoNrg
  July 9, 2014

Whey protein is an obvious staple for me following the type of high protein diet most of us on here do. I tend to bounce around between a couple different brands depending on price and what flavors I like/am sick of. I've been using Cellucor Cor-Performance Whey for about 6 tubs now and have liked it for the most part.

My general whey routine is a one scoop blended shake with fruit and peanut butter upon waking, sometimes a scoop mid-day and one post workout.

Below are the things I've noticed:

Mixability 9/10
Mix perfectly in water, comes out a bit thicker but still great using almond milk.

Taste
I'm going to review taste based on the flavors I have tried, some are great, some are meh.
*Molten Chocolate - 7.5/10 Not bad, but a bit strong on the chocolate taste, more of a dark chocolate
*Cinnamon Swirl - 8.5/10 Solid flavor reminding me of cinnamon oatmeal. Mixes well with fruit and berries if blended
*Whipped Vanilla - 7/10 standard neutral vanilla flavor, nothing mind blowing here. Mixes cleanly with blended shakes if you like to flavor with fruit or other add-ins
*Strawberry Milkshake - 7.5/10 Not bad for a strawberry flavor. I've had some brands that tasted like straight chemical azz. This one came close to nailing it, but still came off as artificial.
*S'Mores (bb.com exclusive flavor) - 5.5/10 Flavor was so-so, but included one of my whey protein pet peeves, bits and pieces. Bits of hard marshmallow and graham cracker bits sink to the bottom for a nice mouthful at the end of your shake. Not sure why this flavor has a 9 taste rating on bb.com
*Cookies & Cream - 6/10 Same as S'mores with the floatys, just not as aggressive. Able to tolerate it through a 2lb tub

Effectiveness 8/10
I can only say for effectiveness that digestion was not an issue during any of my shakes and continues to be easy drinking. Protein farts towards the end of the day are a given, but thats to be expected.

Value 7/10
Standard price is $29.99 for 2lbs (26srv) or $49.99 for 4lbs (54srv). This puts it on par with most of the offerings on the market these days. There always seems to be deal on it somewhere though so be on the lookout. (bb.com has a buy 2 get one deal on 2lb tubs).

Conclusion
Good overall whey protein that I am happy to make a staple in my routine for the time being.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Amazing Taste
  • Great Mixability
  • Great In Water &/or In Milk
    htevans

Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 20%
    Iron 4%
    Cor-Performance Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Sucralose, Protease A-S, Lactase.

I really like the use of both concentrate and isolate here and it was a real selling point for me. Solid sources of whey (no ion-exchange, etc). Just an overall solid profile.

Mixability: 8/10
    Generally this product mixed well. With the suggested 8oz of water I felt it was a little too thin so I usually went with about 6oz, but I just eyeballed it. This worked well with one scoop but when using 2 scoops with around 12-14oz of water, there was some clumping. I guess I can't complain too much because I like my shakes a little thicker.

Taste: 9/10
    I ordered a 5lb tub of the Peanut Butter Marshmallow after finishing off a tub of Chocolate MTS Whey. I was looking for something different I had just gone through 5 tubs of chocolate flavored proteins. After reading tons of good reviews I decided to try the PB Marshmallow. Upon opening the tub I could smell the PB flavor from a good distance. I only used this with water and it tasted as it should have. I give it a 9/10 because the marshmallow was a little too faint for my liking. Personally I'll probably buy a different flavor because it was like drinking peanut butter but that is the flavor so I hate too much. I'd suggest this flavor for cooking and for big peanut butter fans, but others probably wouldn't want to commit to a 4lb tub like I did.

Effectiveness/Results: N/A
    Standard effects from a protein. Wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking, just normal recovery and such and that's what I got.

I didn't really find any super deals on this protein at the time of purchase (about 2 months ago), and trust me I looked everywhere. With that said, I got it for 50$ shipped which wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for free shipping though it would have been about 55-60$ depending on the site. Anywhere in this price range is just average for 54 servings in my opinion.

In the end, this is a solid product. I'd probably suggest trying a different flavor first but the profile is sound and that is what really counts. Still, being able to stomach the protein is pretty crucial as well and while drinking liquid peanut butter may not sound appealing, it was by no means torture. I'll be purchasing again in the future, just a different flavor.
      SergioPLR12
        November 16, 2013

Hello everybody! Just finished a bit tub of this and it has worked great actually. The big COR Performance series from Cellucor really caught my atention and since it was on sale, I decided to give it a try. I bought the Whey and the BCAA's, but that's another story. So, cutting to the chase, this is my review.

Dose: 1 scoop after my workout and 1 scoop on my mid-morning meal

Effectiveness: 8.5/10
      Pretty good actually, not the best recovery I've had but it did the job. Overall recovery was good, I judge the effectiveness based on both recovery and digestion. On the second aspect, my stomach took it well, sometimes I found it to be a little heavy but nothing significant

Taste: 7/10
      Not the best aspect of the product actually. I had the Molten Chocolate flavor and I really like it at first, but but later on it became a little heavy and dense.

Mixability: 7/10
      The reason I'm giving this a 7 is that sometimes I found that the powder hadn't actually disolved very well. I use my smartshaker almost every time and every now and then I could feel the powder on my mouth(not really enjoyable). However, when I used a blender, this wasn't so usual.

Good price, considering the amount of protein and BCAA's per serving, looks like a good deal to me. I really don't get much vote in this aspect since I live in Peru and here the prices are really different, but I base my rating on the regular prices from bb.com, amazon, etc.

Profile: 8/10
      I liked the profile, 25gr of protein per serving is a pretty good deal actually, 5.5gr of BCAA's at 130 calories? Sounds good to me! Really liked the introduction of lactase in the product by the way.

Liked the product actually, it's definetely not my fav whey protein but it did the job. I think Cellucor really could do something about the mixability and taste, but then again, this is still a kind of new series.

Hope you found it helpful guys, if you have some questions about the product or the review, just reply.

Cheers!
      • Inclusion Of Lactase
      • Thickness Can Be A Bit Much In Some Of The Flavors
      • Not All Flavors Mix Well
      • Didn't Like Molten Chocolate
      abischof
        September 23, 2013

Hello SR, first review going up! I decided to review Cellucor's performance whey as it is my most recent completed product.

Ingredient Profile: 8/10
      I'm not going to spend too much time discussing ingredients, as many other previous reviews have the profile extensively covered. I will point out my appreciation of the low fat, as I am missing a gallbladder and still tend to experience slight negative reactions upon ingesting too much fat. I did not have a single issue with side effects, which was fantastic. I know a few guys out there don't mind the protein farts, however, as a female I was pleasantly surprised that I never experienced these on this product.

Mixing: 7.5/10
      So from other reviews I've read, it seems the consensus is the mix-ability of this product hasn't been a problem. Maybe this is my inexperience with many protein powders, but unless I was using a shaker, I did have a few issues with clumping. I had to make sure to use a shaker every time, and always making sure I had a clean one around soon became a pain.

Taste: 8/10
      The first tub I finished was Strawberry Milkshake. I've noticed with all the flavors Cellucor has to offer, strawberry was never really anybody's first choice. However, I love strawberry flavored anything, so of course I decided on this flavor for my protein. Despite warnings from my fellow athletic peers that strawberry wheys are usually pretty gnarly, I decided to give this one a go first. I used coconut milk with my whey, and it really wasn't too bad. The smell upon opening the container began to bother me a bit, as it was pretty artificial, but it did not affect the taste. I've had difficulty finishing entire protein tubs in the past, as I usually get sick of the flavor relatively quickly, however, this was not an issue with the Strawberry Milkshake flavor(although I will say the name is a slight exaggeration). I do believe there is room for improvement, as I tried the Cinnamon Swirl flavor and must say it was pretty delicious.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10
      This protein delivers what it claims to do. I currently use intermittent fasting as my diet of choice, and usually broke my fast with this shake. For the beginning of the tub, I was not working out incredibly hard, as I was still recovering from gallbladder surgery. During that time period I used a single scoop, and it was able to curve my appetite until I had the time to make my full meal. School started for me, so my eating window shrank; I normally workout at 5:00am, and eat from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. This protein helped me out immensely with my schedule. I would typically get off work at 5:00pm, and often had school related meetings at 6:00pm. Because my meetings occurred in the middle of my eating window, the only option I had was to drink a shake and wait until usually 7:30pm before consuming any solid food. Typically on this schedule I would be ravenously hungry come 7:30pm, however once I began implementing the shake within that first hour I found myself not obsessing about food as much. It maintained my hunger until I had time to eat fully, which is exactly what I'm looking for in a protein product, although I did start using two scoops. I was only using this product to get some extra protein in, as well as maintain weight, and it was successful on all accounts. I'm sure you could use it to bulk, however, bulking is usually never my goal. I could (and probably will) use this product as a nice cutting tool as well.

I was able to buy every protein flavor Cellucor has to offer with a sale from bodybuilding.com. They offered a buy one get one free, and I split the cost and the tubs with my brother. So I would say my value isn't exactly typical with the product. Normally this protein runs for roughly $30, so pretty average compared to other products.

Overall: 8.5/10
      With the tons of different proteins out in the market now, it can be difficult to decipher which is best. I find you can typically get the macros you desire with several different products, and price ranges are usually similar. So honestly, when I look for a protein it usually comes down to three things; if it can keep me full, no side effects, and if it tastes good. Cellucor delivered on all accounts, the flavor does have a bit of room for improvement, but I would definitely recommend to anyone who has a craving from some sweet strawberries. I look forward to trying and using my other two tubs, Whipped Vanilla and Cookies 'N Cream!
      • No Side Effects
      • Kept Me Full
      • Not All Flavors Mix Well
      IronBrother
        July 30, 2013

The Cellucor Cor Performance series was rather promising, but i always found it to be too expensive for my taste, having the ZMAs at 40$ and BCAAs at 40$ as well. Finding theprotein for 50$ for 52-56 servings (Depending on the flavor) then i found it to be very resonable. I have also never tried a Cellucor product.

Profile - 8.5. Very clean profile, having the proteins coming from Isolate and Concentrate and having the only downside being the sucralose, which honestly isnt going to do anythign drastic at all.

Taste/Mixability - 9. Only tried the Whipped Vanilla, but am definitely gonna give the PB Marshmellow a go. Whipped vanilla was very very tasty and mixed well in a half USP and half Cellucor sludge. I would definitely get Whipped Vanilla again but definitely want to give Cinnamon Swirl and PB Marshmellow a try.

Value - 8.5. Like i said, you find it for around 45-50$ so the price tag isnt bad at all. Going to give the other flavors a try for sure.

Effectiveness - 9. Not much to say other than it has a solid profile, meets label claims (FYI, according to Marc Lobliners testing) and tasted great.

Overall, i think this is a good mix-up to the ON 100% and tastes much better, although i looovee the Cake Batter flavor of ON 100% and how they have so many flavors. Definitely give it a try, well worth it in my opinion.
      • Inclusion Of Sucralose
      mempp9
        June 26, 2013

I often find myself getting bored with whey proteins. I find one that I like, but after a few tubs it's time to move on. After using MTS Whey (already reviewed), I had to find something good enough to fill its shoes. Cellucore Performance Whey was my next choice for multiple reasons. I couldn't resist the Peanut Butter Marshmallow flavor, and Bodybuilding.com had an awesome sale at the time (three 2 lb tubs with free 30 serving C4 for $70). I got the Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Molten Chocolate, and Cookies and Cream. They were all awesome!

Calories: 120
      Protein: 25g
      Carbs: 3g
      Fat: 1.5g

Results (9/10): All right, we all know that it is difficult to test the results from whey proteins due to other supplements being taken, training styles, diet, etc. However, I will say that it didn't cause any stomach discomfort or GI issues. I certainly didn't stop making gains, so it worked well for me. I was doing high volume training and the BCAA content of this protein kept me feeling great.

Taste (9.5/10): Wow. All three flavors were amazing! I'll break it down by flavor to keep things short, sweet, yet informative.

Cookies and Cream: Great taste and very sweet. It has little chunks of chocolate in it that sink to the bottom, but it's a nice addition.

Molten Chocolate: I have to admit that I waited too long to try this because I assumed it would be very generic. Man, was I wrong. This was a surprisingly great chocolate flavor that wasn't too rich, but just perfect.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow: This was amazing! It was a great mix of both flavors. I would describe it was being a peanut butter flavor that is toned down a bit. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something new to try.

I won't rank each flavor individually because everyone has different taste preferences. I will say, however, that every supplement I've had from Cellucore has been great!

Mixability (9.5/10): Mixed great but had a tiny bit of foam. No big deal. It didn't clump or sink to the bottom.

Value (9/10): Okay I'm biased on this one because I got such a great deal, but I feel that they are priced fairly in most of their products. The Cellucore website offers free shipping, which is nice. Oh, and there are discount codes if you look for them. NWB is a 20% off code (Nick Wright Bodybuilding is sponsored by Cellucore I believe). There ya go...20% off and free shipping!

Overall (9.5/10): Not only does this taste great, it is well priced, and has exciting flavors. I would certainly recommend this whey to anyone looking to try it. I will be buying it again in the future.
        DanTheManski
          May 31, 2013

I'm catching a little bit time to review this one. There's not much to say, so I'm not gonna drag this out.

Taste:

Cinnamon Swirl - 5/10

Molten Chocolate - 9.5/10

Peanut Butter Marshmallow - 9/10

Yeah, I know. You guys think I'm crazy. The Swirl just doesn't taste good to me whatsoever. I've tried it in milk, water, almond milk, oats. Just nothing about it is appealing to me in the least bit.

Chocolate and PBM however, are delicious. Molten Chocolate easily takes the cake for the most delicious protein I've had in a while, while PBM is just simple, smooth, and something that you really look forward to drinking. S/O to Cellucor. You guys nailed the taste.

This protein I believe is on par with GS and all the other proteins on the market, besides your whey isolate's of course. I don't notice an increase in recovery at all, but then again, I never did with any product except for AfterGlow, and thats an arm and a leg.

Cellucor's whey is just one of those old fashioned proteins thats very simple and effective as a snack, post workout, or before bed.

Solid 8 here. Not expensive at all. I bought the BB.com deal where for $60 after shipping I got 3 tubs of Cellucor's whey and a C4. So $60 for 75+ servings, is OK. But not fantastic.

With 5.5 grams of BCAA's, 25g of Protein per scoop, and 130 calories, this simple protein is great for anyone I believe. It's delicious, and cellucor continues to impress us with simple, effective products.

Back to the Log,

DanThaManski
        Rogiebear
          May 22, 2013

Whenever I go to review a protein powder, I always wonder exactly how I should go about it! Regardless, I'll give it a shot. From when I first tasted Cellucor Cor Performance Whey to the moment the last scoop was done, I loved it. So let's begin:

Value - 8/10:
        It's hard to give any supplement a higher rating than an 8 out of 10 when you live in a country where it's going to be pricey regardless. In Australia, I had to pay a solid $20 - $30 USD more for a tub of this protein, which ended up coming to $87 AUD. Regardless of that fact, I probably will end up buying this again as I loved it and figure it's worth paying for a protein powder you enjoy.

Ingredient Profile - 9/10:
        As far the protein blend in this goes, it seems to be of high quality. The Ingredient list lists a Whey Protein Matrix which is comprised of more Whey Protein Isolate than Concentrate which is good to see, as many other blends short change you by including a less than preferable WPI and WPC ratio. It also includes a lot of the usual suspects when it comes to protein, protease and lactase, as well as the Artificial sweeteners Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium which I'm sure will turn some people off. As such, it gets a 9.

Mixability - 10/10:
        On the tub, it claims that it "mixes instantly" and I have to agree, I added a scoop into a shaker with almond milk and it mixed up clump free in a couple of shakes. That being said there was a small amount of foaminess, but that really doesn't bother me at all. 10 out of 10.

Taste/Texture - 10/10:
        I ordered the Cinnamon Swirl variety of Cor Whey and I have to admit it is quite possibly one of the most delicious proteins I have tried, especially considering the relatively small amount of fats and carbs (1.5g fat, 3g carbs with 1g from sugars). It's hard to describe what it tasted most like, almost like a chai latte if I had to make a judgement. It mixed into a smooth texture that was not overly thick and had a slight amount of foaminess, which I quite like actually as it almost adds to the chai latte feel that it has. This is an easy 10/10 for me.

All in all, I can't really judge the effectiveness of a protein powder because it is essentially just food. It helped me reach my macronutrient goals for each day, and it did so in such a way that I enjoyed it. I think that after I have tried the new Myofusion I will be coming back to try this in a new flavour, perhaps peanut butter marshmallow.
        Daloof911
          May 7, 2013

I've always been into Dymatize proteins, but due to recent articles about the poor consistency of their quality and nutrition facts, I've been steering more towards Cellucor's Cor Performance Whey.

Profile: 9/10
        130 Calories
        25g Protein/ 1g Carbs/ 1.5g Fat/ 5.5g BCAAs
        Blend of Whey Isolate and Concentrate

Pretty great profile; 71% protein content, low carb, low fat. A higher-end whey protein if you ask me.

Taste:
        I've tried a few of their flavors, I'll rate them individually. Overall very good flavors.I feel like flavor is a big selling point for a lot of people when it comes to protein, and with this you can't go wrong.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow (9): Fairly mellow peanut butter flavor, but has a nice marshmallow/malty flavor. Good for a shake if you don't want fats from peanut butter.

Molten Chocolate (8): Strong chocolate flavor, not for the faint of heart. Reminds me of Swiss Miss hot chocolate. A little hard for me to get down postworkout because of how sweet and intense the flavor was.

Cookies and Cream (8): Typical cookies and cream flavor with cookie chunks. The bits of cookies are small and inhale-able.

Whipped Vanilla (9): Nice creamy flavor, not too overwhelming postworkout. Probably my favorite of the flavors I tried.

Mixability: 9/10
        Cellucor's Whey mixes great. They recommend 5-6oz of liquid per scoop. If you mix 1 scoop in 5oz of liquid it makes a very thick shake, but its a little gritty. 8oz was more my ball game: thinner, but still had good flavor.

This seems to be right on par with Gold Standard in price, maybe just a little bit more expensive. A 4lb tub runs around $45 for 52 servings and a 2lb tub runs around $28 for 26 servings. Obviously the larger container is a significantly better deal. Bodybuilding occasionally has good deals on this protein.

On a side note: I've noticed that this protein fills me up quite a bit. It seems like it would be an effective post shake during a cut, because it usually kills my appetite for a while and I sometimes need to force myself to eat my postworkout meal.

Cellucor Cor Performance has taken the cake for being my favorite whey protein. With a solid profile, great taste, and a pretty competitive price, I would highly recommend trying this protein next time you're in the market.
          jaseb3
            May 7, 2013

Let me tell you first off, I get sick of proteins powders VERY easily. I have to switch them up all the time, and typically have 3-4 different brands sitting on my counter at any given time because I got sick of the one sitting right next to it. While I still have 3-4 tubs of protein hanging out on my counter, what has changed is that they are ALL Cellucor's COR Whey!...and I didn't switch because I was sick of that flavor. Instead , the flavor I currently had was so good that I had to try another! This stuff is NOT your typical protein powder! It is seriously a dessert in a bottle that you'll be excited to drink day after day.

Taste: 10/10 I never give 10s to proteins powders for taste, but Cellucor hit the spot on their new line of proteins! Strawberry is excellent. It tastes very similar to that good old strawberry milk that some companies used to make. If you don't like that stuff, then you likely won't like this flavor. But I love strawberry milkshakes, so this stuff is perfect for me!
          I've also tried the Molten Chocolate (which seriously is like chocolate cake) and the Whipped Vanilla (which tastes more like frosting than protein powder!).

Mixability: 8/10 It's really hard to find a protein that mixes "really well". This is definitely the best-mixing protein I've tried, but I'm still looking for the day when a protein powder will be mixed well in a glass with a spoon. That said, if you have a shaker bottle, you're all set! It mixes very well in any type of shaker, and doesn't have the typical clumps that most proteins develop as you're trying to gag it down. This stuff really is like a milkshake and you'll enjoy drinking every drop. I typically mix it 50/50 water and milk for my morning shot, and 100% with water after a workout. It tastes great both ways. I've found that if I use only milk, it is a little too thick for my liking.

Effectiveness: 10/10 You couldn't ask for more in a protein powder. Cellucor's COR Whey series has EVERYTHING you need in a protein, plus it is such a clean protein that it still mixes well and tastes great. I still try to eat as much protein as I can throughout the day from natural sources, but coupling eating well with Cellucor's protein has been pretty much my only source of amino acids...which are the building blocks of protein. If you're lacking on amino acids, you can't build proteins or muscles. I've definitely gained some lean mass since adding COR Whey to my daily regiment...but still, the best part about it is that you don't have to choke this stuff down in order to meet your fitness/health/dietary goals! It tastes so good that you actually enjoy supplementing with it!
          • Great In Milk

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.