COR Performance Whey Reviews

By: Cellucor

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

10 24

Ranks #8 of 93 (better than 92%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

COR Performance Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Cellucor. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (6)

CATEGORY PREVALENCE

COMPARE SIMILAR

DanTheManski
  May 31, 2013

I'm catching a little bit time to review this one. There's not much to say, so I'm not gonna drag this out.

Taste:

Cinnamon Swirl - 5/10

Molten Chocolate - 9.5/10

Peanut Butter Marshmallow - 9/10

Yeah, I know. You guys think I'm crazy. The Swirl just doesn't taste good to me whatsoever. I've tried it in milk, water, almond milk, oats. Just nothing about it is appealing to me in the least bit.

Chocolate and PBM however, are delicious. Molten Chocolate easily takes the cake for the most delicious protein I've had in a while, while PBM is just simple, smooth, and something that you really look forward to drinking. S/O to Cellucor. You guys nailed the taste.

This protein I believe is on par with GS and all the other proteins on the market, besides your whey isolate's of course. I don't notice an increase in recovery at all, but then again, I never did with any product except for AfterGlow, and thats an arm and a leg.

Cellucor's whey is just one of those old fashioned proteins thats very simple and effective as a snack, post workout, or before bed.

Solid 8 here. Not expensive at all. I bought the BB.com deal where for $60 after shipping I got 3 tubs of Cellucor's whey and a C4. So $60 for 75+ servings, is OK. But not fantastic.

With 5.5 grams of BCAA's, 25g of Protein per scoop, and 130 calories, this simple protein is great for anyone I believe. It's delicious, and cellucor continues to impress us with simple, effective products.

Back to the Log,

DanThaManski
  • Strong Artificial Smell For Some Flavors
mempp9
  June 26, 2013

I often find myself getting bored with whey proteins. I find one that I like, but after a few tubs it's time to move on. After using MTS Whey (already reviewed), I had to find something good enough to fill its shoes. Cellucore Performance Whey was my next choice for multiple reasons. I couldn't resist the Peanut Butter Marshmallow flavor, and Bodybuilding.com had an awesome sale at the time (three 2 lb tubs with free 30 serving C4 for $70). I got the Peanut Butter Marshmallow, Molten Chocolate, and Cookies and Cream. They were all awesome!

Calories: 120
Protein: 25g
Carbs: 3g
Fat: 1.5g

Results (9/10): All right, we all know that it is difficult to test the results from whey proteins due to other supplements being taken, training styles, diet, etc. However, I will say that it didn't cause any stomach discomfort or GI issues. I certainly didn't stop making gains, so it worked well for me. I was doing high volume training and the BCAA content of this protein kept me feeling great.

Taste (9.5/10): Wow. All three flavors were amazing! I'll break it down by flavor to keep things short, sweet, yet informative.

Cookies and Cream: Great taste and very sweet. It has little chunks of chocolate in it that sink to the bottom, but it's a nice addition.

Molten Chocolate: I have to admit that I waited too long to try this because I assumed it would be very generic. Man, was I wrong. This was a surprisingly great chocolate flavor that wasn't too rich, but just perfect.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow: This was amazing! It was a great mix of both flavors. I would describe it was being a peanut butter flavor that is toned down a bit. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something new to try.

I won't rank each flavor individually because everyone has different taste preferences. I will say, however, that every supplement I've had from Cellucore has been great!

Mixability (9.5/10): Mixed great but had a tiny bit of foam. No big deal. It didn't clump or sink to the bottom.

Value (9/10): Okay I'm biased on this one because I got such a great deal, but I feel that they are priced fairly in most of their products. The Cellucore website offers free shipping, which is nice. Oh, and there are discount codes if you look for them. NWB is a 20% off code (Nick Wright Bodybuilding is sponsored by Cellucore I believe). There ya go...20% off and free shipping!

Overall (9.5/10): Not only does this taste great, it is well priced, and has exciting flavors. I would certainly recommend this whey to anyone looking to try it. I will be buying it again in the future.
    jasonstith90
      January 24, 2015

----Ingredient Profile----
    I'm not a fan of pure whey proteins. I prefer to go with a mixture of at least whey and casein, if not adding in egg protein as well. Whey is the fast digesting protein that is great for when you get out of bed and whenever you want the protein in your system asap.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    I thought that the molten chocolate was very good, but I have a sweet tooth.
    For me, it mixed decently. There was always some residue left over. If I used a funnel, there was always powder lingering on the funnel.
    It is an average sized dose for protein supplements.

----Effectiveness----
    It worked decently, but not more than the average protein on the market does.

----Value----
    To me, it was comparative to other protein supplements on the market. It would be worth it if they added in casein and egg proteins so muscle protein synthesis would last longer, making it more effective.

----Side Effects----
    I did not experience any side effects.

----Conclusion----
    To sum up, it tasted pretty good. I don't think that I will try this again, unless they redo the ingredient profile. They put too much emphasis on flavor and not enough on performance.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great In Milk
    • No Side Effects
    • Thickness Can Be A Bit Much In Some Of The Flavors
    • Inclusion Of Sucralose
    • Lacks Slow Digesting Proteins
    • Lacks Medium Digesting Proteins
    Supps2Grow
      July 25, 2014

I like this protein for one reason. the Flavor selection is awesome! The S'mores is GREAT in oatmeal with some cinnamon, the Confetti is also great in oatmeal and protein pancakes, the PB is awesome in oatmeal with PB lol. And the Chocolate is good for all the above, plus your conventional protein shakes. I won't pay full price for this protein being a whey blend it's just not worth it. HOWEVER, if you can find a good deal, like a but 2 get one free then I would do it. My rule of thumb, I won't pay more then $10 an /LB unless it's a 100% whey isolate (or hydrolyzed).

Mixability is great for all. Taste I already mentioned above. I would say s'more is my favorite, that that's in oatmeal. I would rather use another brand for shakes, but personally I use the tasty protein's more for cooking (at least these days I seem to), just makes it a little more fun!

No side effects. No bad after taste. No inconsistency with flavors or quality. Oh and cellular packaging is always good. lol.

I like the profile, it's not bad. pretty standard for a 100% iso/concentrate. hopefully it's majority isolate but you never know these days.

All in all I would recommend the protein, I would try all the flavors, they're all great. A lot of people seem to like the cinnamon one also, I found the vanilla to be just the same if you add some cinnamon of your own (and then with plain vanilla you have the option of flavoring it otherwise too. win win)

Hope this review is helpful.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Amazing Taste
    • Great Mixability
    • Great In Water &/or In Milk
      htevans

Vitamin A 0%
      Vitamin C 0%
      Calcium 20%
      Iron 4%
      Cor-Performance Whey Protein Matrix (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Protease, Acesulfame Potassium (Ace-K), Sucralose, Protease A-S, Lactase.

I really like the use of both concentrate and isolate here and it was a real selling point for me. Solid sources of whey (no ion-exchange, etc). Just an overall solid profile.

Mixability: 8/10
      Generally this product mixed well. With the suggested 8oz of water I felt it was a little too thin so I usually went with about 6oz, but I just eyeballed it. This worked well with one scoop but when using 2 scoops with around 12-14oz of water, there was some clumping. I guess I can't complain too much because I like my shakes a little thicker.

Taste: 9/10
      I ordered a 5lb tub of the Peanut Butter Marshmallow after finishing off a tub of Chocolate MTS Whey. I was looking for something different I had just gone through 5 tubs of chocolate flavored proteins. After reading tons of good reviews I decided to try the PB Marshmallow. Upon opening the tub I could smell the PB flavor from a good distance. I only used this with water and it tasted as it should have. I give it a 9/10 because the marshmallow was a little too faint for my liking. Personally I'll probably buy a different flavor because it was like drinking peanut butter but that is the flavor so I hate too much. I'd suggest this flavor for cooking and for big peanut butter fans, but others probably wouldn't want to commit to a 4lb tub like I did.

Effectiveness/Results: N/A
      Standard effects from a protein. Wasn't expecting anything groundbreaking, just normal recovery and such and that's what I got.

I didn't really find any super deals on this protein at the time of purchase (about 2 months ago), and trust me I looked everywhere. With that said, I got it for 50$ shipped which wasn't too bad. If it wasn't for free shipping though it would have been about 55-60$ depending on the site. Anywhere in this price range is just average for 54 servings in my opinion.

In the end, this is a solid product. I'd probably suggest trying a different flavor first but the profile is sound and that is what really counts. Still, being able to stomach the protein is pretty crucial as well and while drinking liquid peanut butter may not sound appealing, it was by no means torture. I'll be purchasing again in the future, just a different flavor.
        NoNrg
          July 9, 2014

Whey protein is an obvious staple for me following the type of high protein diet most of us on here do. I tend to bounce around between a couple different brands depending on price and what flavors I like/am sick of. I've been using Cellucor Cor-Performance Whey for about 6 tubs now and have liked it for the most part.

My general whey routine is a one scoop blended shake with fruit and peanut butter upon waking, sometimes a scoop mid-day and one post workout.

Below are the things I've noticed:

Mixability 9/10
        Mix perfectly in water, comes out a bit thicker but still great using almond milk.

Taste
        I'm going to review taste based on the flavors I have tried, some are great, some are meh.
        *Molten Chocolate - 7.5/10 Not bad, but a bit strong on the chocolate taste, more of a dark chocolate
        *Cinnamon Swirl - 8.5/10 Solid flavor reminding me of cinnamon oatmeal. Mixes well with fruit and berries if blended
        *Whipped Vanilla - 7/10 standard neutral vanilla flavor, nothing mind blowing here. Mixes cleanly with blended shakes if you like to flavor with fruit or other add-ins
        *Strawberry Milkshake - 7.5/10 Not bad for a strawberry flavor. I've had some brands that tasted like straight chemical azz. This one came close to nailing it, but still came off as artificial.
        *S'Mores (bb.com exclusive flavor) - 5.5/10 Flavor was so-so, but included one of my whey protein pet peeves, bits and pieces. Bits of hard marshmallow and graham cracker bits sink to the bottom for a nice mouthful at the end of your shake. Not sure why this flavor has a 9 taste rating on bb.com
        *Cookies & Cream - 6/10 Same as S'mores with the floatys, just not as aggressive. Able to tolerate it through a 2lb tub

Effectiveness 8/10
        I can only say for effectiveness that digestion was not an issue during any of my shakes and continues to be easy drinking. Protein farts towards the end of the day are a given, but thats to be expected.

Value 7/10
        Standard price is $29.99 for 2lbs (26srv) or $49.99 for 4lbs (54srv). This puts it on par with most of the offerings on the market these days. There always seems to be deal on it somewhere though so be on the lookout. (bb.com has a buy 2 get one deal on 2lb tubs).

Conclusion
        Good overall whey protein that I am happy to make a staple in my routine for the time being.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Amazing Taste
        • Great Mixability
        • Great In Water &/or In Milk
          IronBrother
            July 30, 2013

The Cellucor Cor Performance series was rather promising, but i always found it to be too expensive for my taste, having the ZMAs at 40$ and BCAAs at 40$ as well. Finding theprotein for 50$ for 52-56 servings (Depending on the flavor) then i found it to be very resonable. I have also never tried a Cellucor product.

Profile - 8.5. Very clean profile, having the proteins coming from Isolate and Concentrate and having the only downside being the sucralose, which honestly isnt going to do anythign drastic at all.

Taste/Mixability - 9. Only tried the Whipped Vanilla, but am definitely gonna give the PB Marshmellow a go. Whipped vanilla was very very tasty and mixed well in a half USP and half Cellucor sludge. I would definitely get Whipped Vanilla again but definitely want to give Cinnamon Swirl and PB Marshmellow a try.

Value - 8.5. Like i said, you find it for around 45-50$ so the price tag isnt bad at all. Going to give the other flavors a try for sure.

Effectiveness - 9. Not much to say other than it has a solid profile, meets label claims (FYI, according to Marc Lobliners testing) and tasted great.

Overall, i think this is a good mix-up to the ON 100% and tastes much better, although i looovee the Cake Batter flavor of ON 100% and how they have so many flavors. Definitely give it a try, well worth it in my opinion.
          • Inclusion Of Sucralose
          Rogiebear
            May 22, 2013

Whenever I go to review a protein powder, I always wonder exactly how I should go about it! Regardless, I'll give it a shot. From when I first tasted Cellucor Cor Performance Whey to the moment the last scoop was done, I loved it. So let's begin:

Value - 8/10:
          It's hard to give any supplement a higher rating than an 8 out of 10 when you live in a country where it's going to be pricey regardless. In Australia, I had to pay a solid $20 - $30 USD more for a tub of this protein, which ended up coming to $87 AUD. Regardless of that fact, I probably will end up buying this again as I loved it and figure it's worth paying for a protein powder you enjoy.

Ingredient Profile - 9/10:
          As far the protein blend in this goes, it seems to be of high quality. The Ingredient list lists a Whey Protein Matrix which is comprised of more Whey Protein Isolate than Concentrate which is good to see, as many other blends short change you by including a less than preferable WPI and WPC ratio. It also includes a lot of the usual suspects when it comes to protein, protease and lactase, as well as the Artificial sweeteners Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium which I'm sure will turn some people off. As such, it gets a 9.

Mixability - 10/10:
          On the tub, it claims that it "mixes instantly" and I have to agree, I added a scoop into a shaker with almond milk and it mixed up clump free in a couple of shakes. That being said there was a small amount of foaminess, but that really doesn't bother me at all. 10 out of 10.

Taste/Texture - 10/10:
          I ordered the Cinnamon Swirl variety of Cor Whey and I have to admit it is quite possibly one of the most delicious proteins I have tried, especially considering the relatively small amount of fats and carbs (1.5g fat, 3g carbs with 1g from sugars). It's hard to describe what it tasted most like, almost like a chai latte if I had to make a judgement. It mixed into a smooth texture that was not overly thick and had a slight amount of foaminess, which I quite like actually as it almost adds to the chai latte feel that it has. This is an easy 10/10 for me.

All in all, I can't really judge the effectiveness of a protein powder because it is essentially just food. It helped me reach my macronutrient goals for each day, and it did so in such a way that I enjoyed it. I think that after I have tried the new Myofusion I will be coming back to try this in a new flavour, perhaps peanut butter marshmallow.
          • Strong Artificial Smell For Some Flavors
          jaseb3
            May 7, 2013

Let me tell you first off, I get sick of proteins powders VERY easily. I have to switch them up all the time, and typically have 3-4 different brands sitting on my counter at any given time because I got sick of the one sitting right next to it. While I still have 3-4 tubs of protein hanging out on my counter, what has changed is that they are ALL Cellucor's COR Whey!...and I didn't switch because I was sick of that flavor. Instead , the flavor I currently had was so good that I had to try another! This stuff is NOT your typical protein powder! It is seriously a dessert in a bottle that you'll be excited to drink day after day.

Taste: 10/10 I never give 10s to proteins powders for taste, but Cellucor hit the spot on their new line of proteins! Strawberry is excellent. It tastes very similar to that good old strawberry milk that some companies used to make. If you don't like that stuff, then you likely won't like this flavor. But I love strawberry milkshakes, so this stuff is perfect for me!
          I've also tried the Molten Chocolate (which seriously is like chocolate cake) and the Whipped Vanilla (which tastes more like frosting than protein powder!).

Mixability: 8/10 It's really hard to find a protein that mixes "really well". This is definitely the best-mixing protein I've tried, but I'm still looking for the day when a protein powder will be mixed well in a glass with a spoon. That said, if you have a shaker bottle, you're all set! It mixes very well in any type of shaker, and doesn't have the typical clumps that most proteins develop as you're trying to gag it down. This stuff really is like a milkshake and you'll enjoy drinking every drop. I typically mix it 50/50 water and milk for my morning shot, and 100% with water after a workout. It tastes great both ways. I've found that if I use only milk, it is a little too thick for my liking.

Effectiveness: 10/10 You couldn't ask for more in a protein powder. Cellucor's COR Whey series has EVERYTHING you need in a protein, plus it is such a clean protein that it still mixes well and tastes great. I still try to eat as much protein as I can throughout the day from natural sources, but coupling eating well with Cellucor's protein has been pretty much my only source of amino acids...which are the building blocks of protein. If you're lacking on amino acids, you can't build proteins or muscles. I've definitely gained some lean mass since adding COR Whey to my daily regiment...but still, the best part about it is that you don't have to choke this stuff down in order to meet your fitness/health/dietary goals! It tastes so good that you actually enjoy supplementing with it!
            adamderr
              May 2, 2013

I discovered SR through a lifting partner that referred me to this site. I want to share personal experiences I have had with Cellucor products because I personally think they are one of the best and I definitely benefit from them. The only other product I have tried in the past is MusclePharm but nothing really compares to Cellucor's taste and effectiveness of their products. I have been taking this product for about two months now which doesn't seem like a long time but with Cellucor, you don't really need time to see progress because of how effective and awesome their products are! I have been lifting hard for about four months before using this product and then I recently started my cut about two weeks ago. I eat healthy and usually have a protein shake with my meals which doesn't allow me to eat as much and the protein by itself fills me which really helps with my diet. The results were definitely positive results because this products does what it's suppose to. I gained about 5-10 pounds of muscle within the last two to three months or so and since starting my cut I have lost about five pounds. There aren't any negative side effects of this product that I have experienced. I already love all of the flavors of this product so maybe a new flavor every now and then would make this product even better but there's really nothing I can complain about. I will definitely use this product again and probably all of the time.

Mixability: (10/10)
            This product mixes very well, especially if you have something similar to a blender shaker. Usually those come with some type of ball inside that way you don't get clumps and the one I have, the spiral ball in it always mixes my protein well and I never have clumps or tiny pieces of protein floating around.

Taste: (9/10)
            Of course it's protein so that's what it is going to taste like but you can taste the flavors when you mix them with milk/water but you can also tell at the same time that there is protein. It's not a bad thing but it would be probably even better if it tasted straight like the flavor and not protein at all but like I said, that's protein for you. I find that mixing the protein with milk tastes a lot better as well and even mixing different flavors.

Peanut Butter Marshmallow: (10/10)
            Definitely my favorite flavor. You can't taste the peanut butter more than the marshmallow and you can't taste the marshmallow more than the peanut butter. The flavors blend well. I sometimes mix this flavor with the molten chocolate and it's really close to tasting like a Reese's cup to me.

Molten Chocolate: (10/10)
            It taste a lot like chocolate pudding which I can't complain about. I'm not a huge chocolate fan but this being a Cellucor product, they don't overwhelm the flavor and this is my second favorite protein. I have made muffins with this protein and they turned out very well and delightful.

Whipped Vanilla: (8/10)
            This flavor by itself is not very tasteful. It is good but at the same time it taste plain. I have been mixing it with the molten chocolate which I find very appealing and the flavors mix well together. I have also been told you can use this flavor for a lot of deserts which I plan to try out sometime.

Strawberry Milkshake: (3/10)
            This is by far my least favorite flavor. When I first received the product, I was excited to taste it. I did notice that it is white in the tub but turns pink when you mix it with milk. You can taste the strawberry but it's more in an oatmeal form and not a milkshake form. I was a little disappointed with how it tasted and this is probably the only flavor that I don't enjoy as much.