Home > Categories > Protein > Casein Protein > BSN > Syntha-6 > Reviews

Syntha-6

By BSN
Syntha-6 BSN
8.3/10
(Weighted average based on 168 Reviews)

Ranks #5 of 21 (better than 80%)
in Protein > Casein Protein

venom434

I've tired a few tubs of these in the past, so i decided to finally write a review on it. i'm not bias when it comes to supplements, alot of people compare BSN to Muscle Tech in regards to fancy labeling, marking but lacking in the performance of their products. although many will disagree, i believe this is actually a decent protein supplement.

Ingredient Profile Per Serving/1 Scoop: 200 calories, 6g total fat, 55mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 170mg potassium, 15g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 2g sugar 22g protein, Papain And Bromelain to help aid in digestion. *The fats are a mixture of MCTs and EFAs*

the protein content comes from 6 different sources, hence the name "Syntha-6". Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin. this blend is a sustained/time released protein, coming from different sources allows for the protein to be absorbed throughout different times of the day. my only issue is that the product claims Rich in BCAAs and other Essential and Non-Essential Amino Acids, but it doesn't list the break down of them on the label; which seems kinda sketchy to me.

Taste and Mixability: probably the best aspect of this product. i had one tub of chocolate, which was average at best; but the mochachinno flavor was great. mixed well, really didn't clump in the shaker cup or blender. combined with water or milk the consistency creamy and just right.

Effectiveness: i've tried this in the morning, post workout and pre bed. because of its 6 protein blend i found it to work good in the aspect of getting sustained protein in throughout the day. i actually found myself using this more pre bed as a alternative to casein, because i don't care for the taste or consistency of it. waking up in the morning recovery seemed to be improved also.

as a meal replacement, there were times when i wasn't able to get a meal in or i just wanted an extra meal/snack; so i took an extra serving of this, it seemed to satisfy my appetite. after going thorough a few tubs of this, i do believe it helped achieve some lean muscle MASS without too much of a fat gain. one thing i will note is it didn't necessarily bloat me, but it did give me some gas..

Value: you can find 2.91lbs for around $25-$30 and 5.04lbs for $36-$45.

Overall: maybe due to the fact it's a "BSN" supplement doesn't get it the greatest reviews or pushes some people away from try it. i'm not saying it's the greatest protein out there; but it's not as terrible as some might make it out to be, and i personally found it fairly effective. i could also see this leaning more towards people maybe looking to bulk.

this is more of a protein for someone who might not be able to afford multiple proteins for morning, post workout and pre bed. it's kinda a use whenever you want protein, which could favor people that are shopping on a budget, but still want to cover all aspects. i'll end this review just by saying, don't knock it 'til you try it.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Mixes Good
  • Good Meal Replacement
  • Doesn't List Bcaa Amount
  • A Little Pricey
  • You Fart A Lot For The First Week

Posted April 18, 2011
Quite the decent review. I personally have had my staple of protein products that have allowed for myself to continue in my growth and progression but have recently invested in this protein. Shall complete my entire container and then a reveiw is to come from myself.... truthfully speaking, well done...

well done

venom434

Posted April 18, 2011
thanks, a lot of people don't like this, but personally i like this stuff a lot.

Great product

Sup everybody,

I'm starting off with an important information to some folks out there,

Sup everybody,

I'm starting off with an important information to some folks out there,

Syntha-6, by what I have looked at the results and what it contains, is mainly a protein to stack up MASS or to sustain muscle MASS on active people. Why I say this? Well, it has 22g of protein, 200 calories and around 13-18g of carbs(can't remember exact.) So when you compare it to a weight gainer, you'll find that if you combine 2 to 3 scoops of Syntha-6, you'll find ot to be almost identical to a weight gainer.

So, here is my recommendation to those trying Syntha-6 at the moment or are about to buy it. *Ahem* Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy this product if you are looking for a protein that will get you lean muscle or keep you lean all year round. Chances are that you will get massive with this product if you eat right and use it as a side snack, for example, to pack up size, but not for those who like it to keep it under 8% of body fat 'cause you ain't if you don't have a high metabolism or are an active person. This is what the product is mainly for. Is made for UFC fighters, remember?

Moving on...

This product might not be for you, BUT it might be for those people who have a high metabolism and burn too much calories through out the day, like me. Two, for those who are active and don't know was a chair is, like me, and three, for those skinny beginners who want to pack up some MASS and level up the weight scale, like you. :)

If you are the opposite person of what I just mentioned above then try something leaner like MyoFusion, Proto Whey, or Nitro-PEAK.

I just don't like to see a great product like Syntha-6 to have 8 stars out of 10 because a group of noobies out there bought it, got a different result of what they expected and blame it on the product. No! That is not right. Do yourself a favor and rate yourself a 2 out of 10 for not thinking smart enough and blaming on the product after. What are you thinking? Know what you buy before you buy it, boo boo.

---------------------------

Overall: Great product! Helped me keep my size and 200lbs intact for weeks. As you can see, it helped me maintain my MASS and muscle tone because, I as said earlier, I have a high metabolism, am very active, and have large muscle to maintain.

Effectiveness: Well, I didn't lose weight so that was pretty much what I was looking for. Something to keep my size and my muscles feeding.

I was full when I took it as a pre-workout the whole time at the gym. I would combine it with my meals or breakfast and will keep me satisfied for 2 to 3 hours which for me is great.

So it was what I was looking for. No doubt.

Value: Since 2 scoops is very similar to that of a weight gainer, I started to compare... Well, the price could be some 10% less, I don't know, I got money, I save and I know how to make the product last so I got no issue with the value.

What else can you ask for a product that is as effective and last longer than a weight gainer? I don't know, is no pain for me.

Taste: Do I really have to talk about the taste? Look at the reviews below mines and tell me if the taste if good or not for what others have said.

Conclusion: Know what you are going to buy and if is going to be effective to your goal or not 'cause this product deserves a 9 out of 10 like every great product out there.

Later, boo boo.

C. from Miami

Pros:
Cons:
  • Cool Name
  • Good In The Morning
  • Ridiculous Taste Sooo Goood
  • Unbelievable Taste
  • Great For Meal Replacement
  • Awsome Strength Gains!!!!
  • Could Have 24 To 25g Of Protein Than 22g
  • High Sodium And Fat

Blade410

Recommended product with good value and good blend

Overall, I am not a huge fan of BSN products. Haven't had much luck with many of them, so I typically stick with Optimum Nutrition and Sci-Fit.

However, the Syntha 6 RTDs are great...

However, the Syntha 6 RTDs are great for on the go needs. The RTD is packed with 40g of protein blend with only 6g total fat (2g sat). The fats are a mixture of MCTs and EFAs so you are getting some good fats in this.

Taste: Some of the best tasting RTDs out there. IMO, tastes better than many of the competitors out there.

Value: I typically get the RTDs at a local shop here in Baltimore for around 2.75 each. Which is a good deal if you are on the go and don't have time to lug around individual servings of powder.

Effectiveness: I use this as an in-between meals/MRP protein. Typically in the afternoons, since I eat an early lunch and work out around 4:30pm. I down this around 3:00pm and provides my body the necessary aminos and energy from healthy fats for the 4:30 push.

Recommended product with good value and good blend, even though it has the BSN boogyman on the label.

Cons:

This is absolutely the best TASTING protein money can buy

this is absolutely the best TASTING protein money can buy..i had the strawberrry flavor a while back but didnt do a review on it because i was using it off and on, but i bought the cookies and creme flavor about a month back and used it nearly consistently so i will base my review on that..

as far as taste goes, syntha 6 is the best ...hands down anyone with a tongue could tell you that..but the cookies and cream is not quite as good as the strawberry suprisingly..it also doesn mix as well, but the little bits of cookie crumbs at the bottom come in handy to satisfy my sweet tooth lol..it also mixes well and i would put it in a blender with a half of a banana and call it a night..

effectiveness....i really didnt look at syntha 6 as a recovery protein because im stacking Pro Complex, WAR, and noxplode so i cant recover anymore than i already do lol..i really got it to add on a couple pounds and before i got it i was around 165 and now im at 173 and i know the syntha 6 ALONE didnt add on 8 pounds, but an extra 88 grams of sustained release protein from this supplement surely did help out lol..

all in all, i think this is the best COMPLIMENTARY protein..in saying that i wouldnt take this supplement alone, but its always good to have stacked with your whey, creatine, etc..and i also feels great to go to sleep feeling refreshened from a sweet protein shake and not on a sugar crash from cookies or whatever..and it feels GREAT to wake up without my stomach growling lol

oh yeay the price!! i see online it usually cost alot, but the GNC by my house doesnt get a whole lotta purchases...so i only paid 30 bucks for it

• Alittle Fatty
    • High Sodium And Fat

birdman2211

Great for inbetween meals

Chocolate flavor tastes just like real chocolate milk, great for inbetween meals

Posted April 7, 2009
    8 of 8 found this helpful? Come on now.

birdman2211

Posted April 7, 2009
    Sorry, this was one of my first reviews ever.....my bad!!!

GymJunkie's Syntha-6 Review

First off I would like to give a big thanks to Eric Hart for giving me the opportunity to review this awesome protein.

As Im sure most of you know, BSN has been around since 2001, since then they have won over 35 awards in Sports Nutrition. In my honest opinion, BSN is within the top 5 brands out there for taste, quality, and variety. Now lets get into the review.

Effectiveness: 9/10. Ive used so many different kinds of protein in the past, sometimes I drink them and just feel them working, other times I feel I might be wasting my time and money. This time I felt really good about the product. 22 grams of protein from 6 different sources ranging from 2-8 hours of absorption makes this a great shake when you first wake up, mid-morning/day snack to hold you over, before bed...anytime really. With 10 grams total of Amino Acids per scoop, this protein also helps fight soreness and gives a boost towards building muscle quicker than several other proteins.

Per scoop you're looking at
    200 calories

10% calcium
    1% iron
    10% phosphorus
    4% magnesium

Made up of Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, and Egg Albumen.

Filling: 7/10. By far the most filling protein Ive ever had which makes it excellent for between meals or as a meal replacement (which is what its marketed as anyway). Only reason its 7 out of 10 is because it didnt actually fill me up but it did curb hunger for a bit.

Value: N/A for me since it was sent to me from BSN. If I was rating this based off the prices Ive seen Id have to give it a 7/10 because it is a bit pricey compared to Myofusion or Elite Fusion 7, but it is definitely better quality over Myofusion.

Taste: When I was asked what flavor to get I didnt want to get a flavor that EVERY company has (strawberry, chocolate, vanilla) so I asked for their Chocolate Mint, but along with that flavor I asked if he could send me a few sample packs of their other flavors so I could rate as much as I could. Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Milkshake were the additional.

Chocolate Mint in milk: 10/10 incredible, I cant get enough of this stuff, it tastes just like Thin Mints and Im addicted, even my EXTREMELY picky girlfriend loved the taste of this stuff.
    Chocolate Mint in water: 9.5/10. Tastes almost the exact same as milk which really surprised me, only real difference is it wasnt as thick.

Vanilla Ice Cream in milk: 8/10. very good in milk, tasted a LOT like melted vanilla ice cream.
    Vanilla Ice Cream in water: 10/10. I dont know what it is but for some reason it tasted a lot better in water, which is a huge plus if you are trying to cut calories.
    Vanilla Ice Cream in orange juice: 9/10 also very good, makes excellent protein packed mixed berry smoothies as well.

Chocolate Milkshake in milk: 10/10 another incredible taste, if it wasnt for the fact I knew it was protein, I'd swear I was drinking a real milkshake.

Each flavor was extremely smooth and pretty thick, actually have to take the top off the blender bottle to get it all.

Mixability: 8.5/10 in shaker cup. 9/10 in blender bottle. Once you shake quite a bit the clumps go away and you can enjoy this excellent tasting protein.

..Have I mentioned this protein tastes amazing?

Bottom line, if you have the extra cash and need something that tastes great and does everything it needs, I highly recommend you buy Syntha-6.

Pros:
    Cons:
    • Good Anytime
    • Good In The Morning
    • Ridiculous Taste Sooo Goood
    • Unbelievable Taste
    • Great For Meal Replacement
    • Good Before Bed
    • Excellent For Making Your Own Mass Gainer.
    • A Little Pricey But Cant Beat The Taste
    • Colesterol Is Too High.
    • Not A Lot Of Servings

It is the very best protein on the market

Syntha is no lonegr expensive if you know what web sites to go to. That being said, it is the very best protein on the market when you consider taste vs. ingredient profile vs. value vs flavor assortment.

Taste: The best out there. Beats Muscle...

Taste: The best out there. Beats
    Muscle Milk hands down. The best flavors are Chocolate Mint, Chocolate PB, and Mochachino. The variety of flavors is another great thing about this product.

Value: Like I said, I have seen the 2.91 lb. for as low as $20 and the 6 lb. for as low as $33. Those are average prices for cheap protein, and this protein is far from cheap quality.

Profile: Excellent BCAA ratio, glutamine, and carb and fat content are relatively low.
    I wouldn't use this protein for PM because it has some maltodextrin, but this quantity is minimal.

This protein tastes great with breakfast, is great alongside oatmeal for a pre workout meal, and 2 scoops fits the post workout bill as well.

Not one negative about this product.

mpcatch7

Posted August 31, 2010
      Where are you finding 6 lbs. for $33?

Posted August 31, 2010
      supplement warehouse and mass nutrition web sites

CamelE

This is one of the few BSN products that is really good

I know BSN gets bashed a lot for overpriced products, false advertising similar to MT. But this is one of the few BSN products that is really good. Since syntha 6 has 200 calories a scoop with 22g of Protein, it's not good if you're trying to get lean; however, it's great for trying to gain muscle or for a meal replacement because it has different Proteins for extended absorption time. Chocolate Mint is the GREATEST flavored Protein shake I've ever tasted. Tastes like a dessert and nothing like a Protein shake. Peanut Butter Chocolate and Mochachino are are amazing too. Cookies & Cream tastes like Vanilla Girl Scout Cookies with little bits of chocolate pellets. Syntha-6 definitely has the greatest taste. Mixing it with milk, you really can't tell the difference between it and a 2,000 calorie Baskin Robbins milkshake. With water it is still above average. Has 5g fiber per scoop too and decent carbs too, so if you're looking for a meal replacement, this is a definite go to. Keeps you full for hours. If you are on a CKD diet or wanting something leaner go for a standard whey isolate. As a meal replacement or just looking for muscle gains, give it a try. For the amount you get it's expensive, so try a tub if you haven't, but make sure to find it on sale.

Pros:
      Cons:
      • Great For Meal Replacement

Good review man.

I was on chocolate, then cookies and cream, and just bought Chocolate Mint.

Definitely the best out of the 3.

Posted February 23, 2010
      must say as much as I hate NO Xplode I really like SYntha 6. Actually not as hi in protein as most ON powders but great tasting and good digestion.

Posted February 23, 2010
      Good review. this is one of the better things I do like from BSN. Cookies & cream is the best really reminds me of the muscle milks cookies&cream

Be prepared to change your boxers

I went through a phase in college where I really loved BSN products, especially Nitrix, Cellmass, and NO Xplode.

When Syntha-6 came out, I liked it--but it was pricey.

When Syntha-6 came out, I liked it--but it was pricey.

As time went by, I moved on to different supplements and did not go back to Syntha-6 until recently. The new flavors piqued my interest, and boy, that new flavor was delicious.

I bought mint chocolate chip.

TASTE 10/10

This is the only 10 I have ever given on the taste of a supplement, excepting Scivation's Xtend. Syntha-6 Mint Chocolate chip is the best-tasting protein drink I've ever experienced. Just mixed with water, it is incredibly smooth and tasty--like you're drinking an ice cream smoothie.

EFFECTIVENESS 6/10

With all that good, yummy taste? Comes a high calorie content. I got noticeably chunkier when I was knocking these back every day, multiple times a day.

SIDE EFFECTS 5/10

Getting fat was not the main issue. The main issue for me was the gas. Seriously. You may as well had been feeding me bowls of black beans instead of Syntha-6. Like clockwork, within an hour of drinking, I would get a disgusting case of the farts. The agony would last four, five, sometimes six hours.

We're talking paint-peeling-off-the-walls kinda smells, people. I frequently had to check myself, and there were some points where I made myself take a shower and change just to be careful.

A protein shouldn't do this to you. I tried to man up and muscle through it for three weeks, but it never went away.

My parents started complaining about the smell coming out of my room--and that's when I knew I had to throw the dang thing away. How dissappointing. No other protein has made me fart so bad.

It's a cruel irony that the best-tasting protein that has ever slipped down my tongue is the worst fart-inducing protein I've ever experienced.

OVERALL: 7/10

If you can get past the fart-a-thon, more power to you. This is a delicious protein blend. Just be careful about overdoing it if you gain weight easily. You can (and will) get a little fat on this if you aren't careful.

All the best,

J. O'Donnell

• Limitless Farts
      • Alittle Fatty
      • Not A Lot Of Servings

Posted October 31, 2013
      Try adding in some probiotics. That helps me out tremendously

Posted October 31, 2013
      Good to know-- will try that my next time around and adjust the score accordingly (if it works). It's too tasty to be ignored :(

Posted October 31, 2013
      Good review man, Ive been a big fan of BSN for a long time too.

If you had these kinds of problems with Syntha-6, just a heads up, you might want to steer clear of any MuslcleTech proteins, you might kill some people.

Posted October 31, 2013
      No amount of probiotics will help you digest this junk, LOL. I had the same problem except one step further. Within an hour I would have to literally run to the bathroom to pee out my butt. EVERY TIME. But hey, if you need to clean out this is the only thing I've found that's even better than Chipotle. Thanks for the review.

Posted December 11, 2013
      ummm...maybe you should go to a doctor?

I like the concept of Syntha-6 providing 6 different types of protein

First off, I have to talk about how delicious this is. The taste alone is allowing it to always be bought by me. I currently have peanut butter chocolate, ohhhh man. I'm addicted.
      I like the concept of Syntha-6 providing 6 different types...
      I like the concept of Syntha-6 providing 6 different types of protein which are supposed to metabolize at different times. This is why I take this as a post-workout/pre-bed protein. I have noticed that it is better than most other proteins, even though I still like platinum hydro-whey better. But I just can't get over how yummy this flavor is.

So I will continue to buy this protein. The calories aren't too high either, which is what I mainly look for.