Syntha-6 Reviews

By: BSN

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

10 42

Ranks #5 of 18 (better than 76%) in
Protein > Casein Protein

Syntha-6 is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by BSN. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.
INGREDIENTS (9)

DEALS
COMPARE SIMILAR

venom434
  April 18, 2011

I've tired a few tubs of these in the past, so i decided to finally write a review on it. i'm not bias when it comes to supplements, alot of people compare BSN to Muscle Tech in regards to fancy labeling, marking but lacking in the performance of their products. although many will disagree, i believe this is actually a decent protein supplement.

Ingredient Profile Per Serving/1 Scoop: 200 calories, 6g total fat, 55mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 170mg potassium, 15g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 2g sugar 22g protein, Papain And Bromelain to help aid in digestion. *The fats are a mixture of MCTs and EFAs*

the protein content comes from 6 different sources, hence the name "Syntha-6". Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin. this blend is a sustained/time released protein, coming from different sources allows for the protein to be absorbed throughout different times of the day. my only issue is that the product claims Rich in BCAAs and other Essential and Non-Essential Amino Acids, but it doesn't list the break down of them on the label; which seems kinda sketchy to me.

Taste and Mixability: probably the best aspect of this product. i had one tub of chocolate, which was average at best; but the mochachinno flavor was great. mixed well, really didn't clump in the shaker cup or blender. combined with water or milk the consistency creamy and just right.

Effectiveness: i've tried this in the morning, post workout and pre bed. because of its 6 protein blend i found it to work good in the aspect of getting sustained protein in throughout the day. i actually found myself using this more pre bed as a alternative to casein, because i don't care for the taste or consistency of it. waking up in the morning recovery seemed to be improved also.

as a meal replacement, there were times when i wasn't able to get a meal in or i just wanted an extra meal/snack; so i took an extra serving of this, it seemed to satisfy my appetite. after going thorough a few tubs of this, i do believe it helped achieve some lean muscle MASS without too much of a fat gain. one thing i will note is it didn't necessarily bloat me, but it did give me some gas..

Value: you can find 2.91lbs for around $25-$30 and 5.04lbs for $36-$45.

Overall: maybe due to the fact it's a "BSN" supplement doesn't get it the greatest reviews or pushes some people away from try it. i'm not saying it's the greatest protein out there; but it's not as terrible as some might make it out to be, and i personally found it fairly effective. i could also see this leaning more towards people maybe looking to bulk.

this is more of a protein for someone who might not be able to afford multiple proteins for morning, post workout and pre bed. it's kinda a use whenever you want protein, which could favor people that are shopping on a budget, but still want to cover all aspects. i'll end this review just by saying, don't knock it 'til you try it.
  • Mixes Good
  • Good Meal Replacement
  • You Fart A Lot For The First Week
  • A Little Pricey
  • Doesn't List Bcaa Amount
BodySpammer
  September 22, 2011

Sup everybody,

I'm starting off with an important information to some folks out there,

Syntha-6, by what I have looked at the results and what it contains, is mainly a protein to stack up MASS or to sustain muscle MASS on active people. Why I say this? Well, it has 22g of protein, 200 calories and around 13-18g of carbs(can't remember exact.) So when you compare it to a weight gainer, you'll find that if you combine 2 to 3 scoops of Syntha-6, you'll find ot to be almost identical to a weight gainer.

So, here is my recommendation to those trying Syntha-6 at the moment or are about to buy it. *Ahem* Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy this product if you are looking for a protein that will get you lean muscle or keep you lean all year round. Chances are that you will get massive with this product if you eat right and use it as a side snack, for example, to pack up size, but not for those who like it to keep it under 8% of body fat 'cause you ain't if you don't have a high metabolism or are an active person. This is what the product is mainly for. Is made for UFC fighters, remember?

Moving on...

This product might not be for you, BUT it might be for those people who have a high metabolism and burn too much calories through out the day, like me. Two, for those who are active and don't know was a chair is, like me, and three, for those skinny beginners who want to pack up some MASS and level up the weight scale, like you. :)

If you are the opposite person of what I just mentioned above then try something leaner like MyoFusion, Proto Whey, or Nitro-PEAK.

I just don't like to see a great product like Syntha-6 to have 8 stars out of 10 because a group of noobies out there bought it, got a different result of what they expected and blame it on the product. No! That is not right. Do yourself a favor and rate yourself a 2 out of 10 for not thinking smart enough and blaming on the product after. What are you thinking? Know what you buy before you buy it, boo boo.

---------------------------

Overall: Great product! Helped me keep my size and 200lbs intact for weeks. As you can see, it helped me maintain my MASS and muscle tone because, I as said earlier, I have a high metabolism, am very active, and have large muscle to maintain.

Effectiveness: Well, I didn't lose weight so that was pretty much what I was looking for. Something to keep my size and my muscles feeding.

I was full when I took it as a pre-workout the whole time at the gym. I would combine it with my meals or breakfast and will keep me satisfied for 2 to 3 hours which for me is great.

So it was what I was looking for. No doubt.

Value: Since 2 scoops is very similar to that of a weight gainer, I started to compare... Well, the price could be some 10% less, I don't know, I got money, I save and I know how to make the product last so I got no issue with the value.

What else can you ask for a product that is as effective and last longer than a weight gainer? I don't know, is no pain for me.

Taste: Do I really have to talk about the taste? Look at the reviews below mines and tell me if the taste if good or not for what others have said.

Conclusion: Know what you are going to buy and if is going to be effective to your goal or not 'cause this product deserves a 9 out of 10 like every great product out there.

Later, boo boo.

C. from Miami
  • Cool Name
  • Great For Meal Replacement
  • Awsome Strength Gains!!!!
  • High Sodium And Fat
  • Could Have 24 To 25g Of Protein Than 22g
str8edge
  December 28, 2014

I am back again with another protein review. This time for BSN Syntha 6. This product has been on my "To-do" list for a while now and about 2 months back, I got a chance to check it out. So, kindly bear with me while I sequence my thoughts and put together my evaluation of the product.

----Ingredient Profile----(8\10)
One look at the label, and you can tell that this is not your simple protein supplement, it's more of a meal replacement. It has got 200 calories per serving, dominated by whey concentrate, and followed by some other players like calcium caseinate, whey isolate, egg albumen, and a few tiny particles of hydrolyzed whey, and a few pieces of glutamine here and there, thus forming a wide spectrum of 22g of protein. This is, in my opinion, a not very bad approach to forming a "protein-acious food". Afterall, I do this kind of a thing when making my own recipes, by combining eggs with some cottage cheese, while preparing my dinner. It also has about 15g of carbs, some sunflower oil, and some MCT's among others, making a very balanced meal overall.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----(8.7\10)
As this was my first run with the product, I was playing it safe, and being circumspect, by choosing the Chocolate Milkshake flavour, and it failed to disappoint. The taste was simply yum! I usually like to add a bit of these low calorie sugar substitutes while mixing my protein with milk, and this product did not require that. For a product composed of so many different forms of protein (eggs being one of them), the mixability on this was effortless. Just a few hard shakes, and it was waiting to be consumed by me. At 200 calories per scoop, and bearing my idea to "get lean,stay lean" in mind, I would essentially consume about 1 to 1.5 scoops post workout on a regular basis. Despite this, the product saw me through the entire of last month.

----Effectiveness----(8\10, I guess)
This section is tough for a protein review, but it did help me sustain my muscle and strength gains. So......

----Value----(8\10)
I usually don't talk much about this because the dollar rates keep varying on a daily basis here in India, but I was pretty much satisfied with the purchase I made. (Albeit the product was on sale).

----Side Effects----(??????)
I repeat...??????????

----Conclusion----
My first run with Syntha 6 was extremely pleasing and satisfying. I was looking to get some quality calories to help me build some muscle and Syntha 6 has stood by me in every aspect of that hunt. That being said, I don't think (or atleast don't know) if it would help the average Joe in his search for gains. This product is perfectly hand-crafted for a person who is on the skinny side and is looking to get in some quality calories. Who it also applies is a person belonging to the working population, he who is on the move and finds it difficult to make time for preparing his own meals.
Given the ingredients in the formulation, the price may sound a tad on the expensive side, but since I picked it up on discount, I couldn't feel the heat as much. That's it about my experience with Syntha 6. I will be a sure repeat customer and I hope you will try it too.
Ciao.
  • Good In The Morning
  • Colesterol Is Too High.
Blade410

April 26, 2010

Overall, I am not a huge fan of BSN products. Haven't had much luck with many of them, so I typically stick with Optimum Nutrition and Sci-Fit.

However, the Syntha 6 RTDs are great for on the go needs. The RTD is packed with 40g of protein blend with only 6g total fat (2g sat). The fats are a mixture of MCTs and EFAs so you are getting some good fats in this.

Taste: Some of the best tasting RTDs out there. IMO, tastes better than many of the competitors out there.

Value: I typically get the RTDs at a local shop here in Baltimore for around 2.75 each. Which is a good deal if you are on the go and don't have time to lug around individual servings of powder.

Effectiveness: I use this as an in-between meals/MRP protein. Typically in the afternoons, since I eat an early lunch and work out around 4:30pm. I down this around 3:00pm and provides my body the necessary aminos and energy from healthy fats for the 4:30 push.

Recommended product with good value and good blend, even though it has the BSN boogyman on the label.
    Superdude246
      March 12, 2015

----Introduction----
    (Background info on yourself, diet, experience, goals, first thoughts on the product and how you discovered SR)
    The company BSN have been around for quite a little bit and got some major exposure because of UFC. I was honestly given this product as a gift a while back but since im finally back online I figured I would have to give this, I already know very known protein, a review. Did I forget to mention I got peanut butter cookie!
    ----Ingredient Profile----
    (Your thoughts on the ingredients/label of the product)
    When people want to use this as a super lean protein I almost want to die but I can say it is great as a meal replacement considering its blend of whey casein and egg proteins which is a preferable blend because of the fast absorption of whey medium digestion of egg protein and slow digestion of casein. I can do without the corn syrup solids but i guess hey the flavors have gotta come from somewhere. At 22g of protein per scoop and around 5 and 5 on fiber and sugar I would say that isnt so bad but 16g of carbs overall and around 6g in fat 200 calories in total according to label. This is why I would consider this way more efficient as a meal replacement or along with a snack to help bulk it up a bit but for post keep it more isolate based.
    ----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
    Awe man I can honestly say this is half the reason for the review. It is already known that syntha 6 is delicious compared to most proteins. Ive had sample packs of vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry but did I forget to mention I had PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE! It tasted like peanutbutter cookies that melted into the milk. I literrally had to double scoop and work twice as hard just to enjoy one of these bad boys. Mixability was great as they dont even advise so much water. Only 4-6oz and as I said I had to dose at 2 scoops which honestly made me fly through the bottle.

----Effectiveness----
    I can honestly say this was an efficient meal replacement but when you weigh out the macros at 44g of protein 32g of carbs with 10 being fiber and 12g of fat that sounds pretty decent. I put on about five pounds going from 175 to 180 but I didnt even care because I was never hungry and always felt a nice little muscle pump almost like a signal of thanks for feeding me.

----Value----
    As I said I got it for free so you cant beat that value but this usually will run you around 25 to 35 bucks anywhere decent for 28 servings so not bad on value I believe protein should honestly be your best bargain as The Great Hippocrates said "Protein should be of first importance" so why not pay the best prices for it. The rest is just extras.

----Side Effects----
    No side effects except maybe a few extra protein farts but thats no biggie

----Conclusion----
    It was a delicious run and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to throw an additional protein into their sack this protein is great in the morning, during the day, before bed so it would always come in handy. For the people that complain about taste look no further as this will definitely satisfy your taste buds. I enjoyed and if you try it I hope you do too. P.s If they have it Peanut butter cookie is the way to go on flavors;)
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Anytime
    • Fiber
    • Good Meal Replacement
    • Good Ratio Of Nutrition Levels
    • Mixes Good
      joshblue32
        December 13, 2010

this is absolutely the best TASTING protein money can buy..i had the strawberrry flavor a while back but didnt do a review on it because i was using it off and on, but i bought the cookies and creme flavor about a month back and used it nearly consistently so i will base my review on that..

as far as taste goes, syntha 6 is the best ...hands down anyone with a tongue could tell you that..but the cookies and cream is not quite as good as the strawberry suprisingly..it also doesn mix as well, but the little bits of cookie crumbs at the bottom come in handy to satisfy my sweet tooth lol..it also mixes well and i would put it in a blender with a half of a banana and call it a night..

effectiveness....i really didnt look at syntha 6 as a recovery protein because im stacking Pro Complex, WAR, and noxplode so i cant recover anymore than i already do lol..i really got it to add on a couple pounds and before i got it i was around 165 and now im at 173 and i know the syntha 6 ALONE didnt add on 8 pounds, but an extra 88 grams of sustained release protein from this supplement surely did help out lol..

all in all, i think this is the best COMPLIMENTARY protein..in saying that i wouldnt take this supplement alone, but its always good to have stacked with your whey, creatine, etc..and i also feels great to go to sleep feeling refreshened from a sweet protein shake and not on a sugar crash from cookies or whatever..and it feels GREAT to wake up without my stomach growling lol

oh yeay the price!! i see online it usually cost alot, but the GNC by my house doesnt get a whole lotta purchases...so i only paid 30 bucks for it

• Alittle Fatty
      • High Sodium And Fat
      GymJunkie
        May 29, 2012

First off I would like to give a big thanks to Eric Hart for giving me the opportunity to review this awesome protein.

As Im sure most of you know, BSN has been around since 2001, since then they have won over 35 awards in Sports Nutrition. In my honest opinion, BSN is within the top 5 brands out there for taste, quality, and variety. Now lets get into the review.

Effectiveness: 9/10. Ive used so many different kinds of protein in the past, sometimes I drink them and just feel them working, other times I feel I might be wasting my time and money. This time I felt really good about the product. 22 grams of protein from 6 different sources ranging from 2-8 hours of absorption makes this a great shake when you first wake up, mid-morning/day snack to hold you over, before bed...anytime really. With 10 grams total of Amino Acids per scoop, this protein also helps fight soreness and gives a boost towards building muscle quicker than several other proteins.

Per scoop you're looking at
      200 calories

10% calcium
      1% iron
      10% phosphorus
      4% magnesium

Made up of Whey Concentrate, Whey Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, and Egg Albumen.

Filling: 7/10. By far the most filling protein Ive ever had which makes it excellent for between meals or as a meal replacement (which is what its marketed as anyway). Only reason its 7 out of 10 is because it didnt actually fill me up but it did curb hunger for a bit.

Value: N/A for me since it was sent to me from BSN. If I was rating this based off the prices Ive seen Id have to give it a 7/10 because it is a bit pricey compared to Myofusion or Elite Fusion 7, but it is definitely better quality over Myofusion.

Taste: When I was asked what flavor to get I didnt want to get a flavor that EVERY company has (strawberry, chocolate, vanilla) so I asked for their Chocolate Mint, but along with that flavor I asked if he could send me a few sample packs of their other flavors so I could rate as much as I could. Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Milkshake were the additional.

Chocolate Mint in milk: 10/10 incredible, I cant get enough of this stuff, it tastes just like Thin Mints and Im addicted, even my EXTREMELY picky girlfriend loved the taste of this stuff.
      Chocolate Mint in water: 9.5/10. Tastes almost the exact same as milk which really surprised me, only real difference is it wasnt as thick.

Vanilla Ice Cream in milk: 8/10. very good in milk, tasted a LOT like melted vanilla ice cream.
      Vanilla Ice Cream in water: 10/10. I dont know what it is but for some reason it tasted a lot better in water, which is a huge plus if you are trying to cut calories.
      Vanilla Ice Cream in orange juice: 9/10 also very good, makes excellent protein packed mixed berry smoothies as well.

Chocolate Milkshake in milk: 10/10 another incredible taste, if it wasnt for the fact I knew it was protein, I'd swear I was drinking a real milkshake.

Each flavor was extremely smooth and pretty thick, actually have to take the top off the blender bottle to get it all.

Mixability: 8.5/10 in shaker cup. 9/10 in blender bottle. Once you shake quite a bit the clumps go away and you can enjoy this excellent tasting protein.

..Have I mentioned this protein tastes amazing?

Bottom line, if you have the extra cash and need something that tastes great and does everything it needs, I highly recommend you buy Syntha-6.

• Good Anytime
      • Good Before Bed
      • Excellent For Making Your Own Mass Gainer.
      • Colesterol Is Too High.
      • Not A Lot Of Servings
      Foxtrot7777
        October 31, 2013

I went through a phase in college where I really loved BSN products, especially Nitrix, Cellmass, and NO Xplode.

When Syntha-6 came out, I liked it--but it was pricey.

As time went by, I moved on to different supplements and did not go back to Syntha-6 until recently. The new flavors piqued my interest, and boy, that new flavor was delicious.

I bought mint chocolate chip.

TASTE 10/10

This is the only 10 I have ever given on the taste of a supplement, excepting Scivation's Xtend. Syntha-6 Mint Chocolate chip is the best-tasting protein drink I've ever experienced. Just mixed with water, it is incredibly smooth and tasty--like you're drinking an ice cream smoothie.

EFFECTIVENESS 6/10

With all that good, yummy taste? Comes a high calorie content. I got noticeably chunkier when I was knocking these back every day, multiple times a day.

SIDE EFFECTS 5/10

Getting fat was not the main issue. The main issue for me was the gas. Seriously. You may as well had been feeding me bowls of black beans instead of Syntha-6. Like clockwork, within an hour of drinking, I would get a disgusting case of the farts. The agony would last four, five, sometimes six hours.

We're talking paint-peeling-off-the-walls kinda smells, people. I frequently had to check myself, and there were some points where I made myself take a shower and change just to be careful.

A protein shouldn't do this to you. I tried to man up and muscle through it for three weeks, but it never went away.

My parents started complaining about the smell coming out of my room--and that's when I knew I had to throw the dang thing away. How dissappointing. No other protein has made me fart so bad.

It's a cruel irony that the best-tasting protein that has ever slipped down my tongue is the worst fart-inducing protein I've ever experienced.

OVERALL: 7/10

If you can get past the fart-a-thon, more power to you. This is a delicious protein blend. Just be careful about overdoing it if you gain weight easily. You can (and will) get a little fat on this if you aren't careful.

All the best,

J. O'Donnell
      • Alittle Fatty
      • Not A Lot Of Servings
      • Limitless Farts
      Tsunami2k

May 9, 2011

First off, I have to talk about how delicious this is. The taste alone is allowing it to always be bought by me. I currently have peanut butter chocolate, ohhhh man. I'm addicted.
      I like the concept of Syntha-6 providing 6 different types of protein which are supposed to metabolize at different times. This is why I take this as a post-workout/pre-bed protein. I have noticed that it is better than most other proteins, even though I still like platinum hydro-whey better. But I just can't get over how yummy this flavor is.

So I will continue to buy this protein. The calories aren't too high either, which is what I mainly look for.
      bprosano77
      Rep: -13
        August 31, 2010

Syntha is no lonegr expensive if you know what web sites to go to. That being said, it is the very best protein on the market when you consider taste vs. ingredient profile vs. value vs flavor assortment.

Taste: The best out there. Beats Muscle Milk hands down. The best flavors are Chocolate Mint, Chocolate PB, and Mochachino. The variety of flavors is another great thing about this product.

Value: Like I said, I have seen the 2.91 lb. for as low as $20 and the 6 lb. for as low as $33. Those are average prices for cheap protein, and this protein is far from cheap quality.

Profile: Excellent BCAA ratio, glutamine, and carb and fat content are relatively low.
      I wouldn't use this protein for PM because it has some maltodextrin, but this quantity is minimal.

This protein tastes great with breakfast, is great alongside oatmeal for a pre workout meal, and 2 scoops fits the post workout bill as well.

Not one negative about this product.