CellMass Reviews

By: BSN

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

6.6

Ranks #3 of 3 (better than 0%) in
Creatine > Ethyl Ester

CellMass is a Creatine Ethyl Ester Product manufactured by BSN. It is an ethyl ester derivative of creatine. It has been proposed to be more effective than the traditional version, though this hasn't been proven. It can increase muscle power, translating to strength gains and increased muscle mass.
INGREDIENTS (10)
THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Pre-digested form of whey protein that speeds digestion and absorption by the body.

THIS PRODUCT
(Amount not disclosed)

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

COMPARE SIMILAR

ddyoungbsu
  December 3, 2010

Cellmass is a great creatine and recovery product from BSN. I have tried Green Mag and SizeOn as well, and after being done with all 3, I decided on making CellMass the one I stuck with.

I typically take one scoop mixed with Beta Alanine intra-workout so that creatine levels are up during workout, and then I follow up my workout with one scoop of just CellMass. From this, along with a preworkout blend and different protein blends, I have added about 12lbs of lean muscle while cutting body fat as well. I cannot attribute this solely to the CellMass (as creatine does not build muscle directly, but rather indirectly by letting your muscle retain more water so that you can do a little more weight per lift and perhaps knock out another rep or two), but it being in my stack has given me the greatest results.

The taste is tolerable. None of the flavors are my favorite, but with about 6 oz of water per scoop, it definitely is not something I dread taking.

As far as price is concerned, it is a bit on the more expensive side. Each scoop is a serving, and I take 2 a day, so each tub lasts about a month. You can find it just above $30 or $31 on some wesbites, but that still is a little pricey.

I thought Green Mag was a decent product as far as the creatine intake, but I think where CellMass has Green Mag beat is the recovery part. I definitely can tell a difference in how quickly my body repairs when taking CellMass. As far as comparing it to SizeOn, size on was just entirely to sugary and had more unnecessary calories (I took the Max Performance blend). Where it did have some other benefits such as protein and other vitamins, I get those from other supplements. With that said, I think that CellMass has the best overall blend in respects to results.

One warning, as with any creatine, drink plenty of water. In between servings, I have at least 20 oz of water, and I try to load up on water throughout the day. I have heard about headaches and other issues with those not drinking enough water, so get to it on the water haha.

Overall, I recommend this product to others. It seems to have a good creatine blend as well good recovery agents in it as well.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Quick Recovery
  • Size Gains
  • Slightly Expensive
markp
  September 20, 2010

Just finished my tub of cell mass today, and was overall pretty satisfied with this product. Before you read my review though, you should know that this is the first creatine product that I've taken, so bare in mind that I have nothing to compare it to. Also, I followed the directions on when to take it as well as I could, but i did forget to take my serving on multiple occasions.
Taste: 10/10
I had Arctic Berry, and the taste is phenomenal. In fact, when I first bought the tub, i would look forward to working out more just to drink some cell mass at the end.
Results: 8/10
After a week or two in, I was a little disappointed with the results I was seeing. To be honest, I wasn't sure it was working at all. But the past week and a half to two weeks, I started noticing significant gains and my self-esteem was even rising because of it. I just hope I don't lose them like some people have reported. It also reduced my recovery times dramatically.
As for value, it's a little pricey, especially when compared to other creatine products, but that's BSN for you. I can't really complain though, it works and didn't leave too big a dent in my wallet.
I found this product great overall, and don't regret buying it whatsoever. I'm not really a fan of BSN, but they have started to win me over. I would definitely buy this again.
  • Amazing Taste
Adammazda06
  December 5, 2010

Well I took a break from Kre-Alk for a while, and decided to try something different.
Taste - I had the artic berry. When I first opened it up, it smelled like strawberry jello powder. Upon drinking it, it tastes like salty strawberry jello powder. Not exactly bazooka fruit AfterGlow, but I certainly didn't mind drinking it.
Recovery - It was better, but not by much.
Weight gain and Strength - Strength went up, and reps went up. 10lbs here and there for most upper body exercises, but legs jumped up as much as 50lbs on leg press. (I did focus slightly more on legs over the last month which is certainly part of that gain) I gained a solid 5lbs, with very minimal bloat. I only seem to cramp in my traps, but I only had a couple the entire month.
Weight gain is the only thing this has over Kre-Alkalyn. Kre-Alk never put more than a couple pounds on me, but strength and endurance were better. Price wise cell mass can't touch Kre-Alk.
Over all this is a very good product, but bang for the buck Kre-Alk still takes the cake.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Tasting
  • Aids Recovery
  • Slightly Expensive
bristol
  May 8, 2010

There are problems with cell mass. There are problems with the company, BSN, which in the past few years has Progressively been cheapening their products, generation by generation.

I am convinced that the current cell mass (not hte NT formula- I have not tried that) is pretty horrible. I got my hands on 3 tubs of this stuff (arctic berry flavor, if that matters) last year. I finished them all, as the directions state.

The taste is good. It mixes horribly though, leaving this gross sludge at the bottom of the cup. This is a problem for me, as cell mass is ALREADY an extremely weak formula, so I don't like that 50% of it is stuck on the bottom of the cup.

I am seasoned in supplements and working out (10 plus years, solid results). This is one of the few weakest creatine formulas I have ever taken (cell tech being the worst). The stuff did very little for me, in comparison to what xc4 or other pill form creatine ethyl esther compounds do (good ones can work wonders).

Also, this product made me feel bloated and gave me gas. Overall, a dud of a product. I would avoid. Spend your money on a creatine ethyl esther pill like kre-alkalyn or if you have the $, xc4 (by German American Technologies).
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Very Good
  • Aids Recovery
  • Gave Me Bad Gas!
  • Not Sure If It Is Real At All Or Placebo
dammit
  October 20, 2009

I regretfully bought into BSN's CellMass thinking it was this new block-buster creating that was going to change years of previous creatine usage, and it simply performed the same as regular creatine monohydrate. There is even a class action suit against BSN for using regular creatine instead of their "supposed patented" creatine ethyl malate (which according to the suit isn't even real). I will admit that this product does mix well and the taste was above average for most creatine mixed drinks so still gave it an OK overall score. While stacking this with NO XPlode and a good diet and workout routine I was able to put on ~8lbs of weight in one month but ended up losing it all after coming off the cycle. Although I would still use BSN's protein's, I would steer away from their creatine based products until they become legit. (Just google "class action suit BSN")
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Tasting
    ThickSamoan
    Rep: -8
      August 14, 2012

A little pricey but don't shy away, so worth it. Creatine works different for everyone but Cellmass works so well for me.

It is primarily creatine ethyl ester with a little glutamine for recovery support.

Directions state to take a scoop post workout then a scoop before bed or if on offdays scoop when you wake up and scoop 8 hours later.

I follow directions to a T and got some great strength and mass results.

Water Retention:
    Did retain water but that translates directly to more strength, weight, and size so its all good with me

Taste:
    Fruit punch tastes great, a little hard mixing but thats the nature of the creatine ethyl ester beast.

Overall 10/10
    Love this product, put on great size, strength, and increased overall recovery.
    • Size Gains
    StudforLife
      August 7, 2012

Love my cellmass!!! This is a staple everytime I am lifting hard or bulking. The water retention isn't too bad.

Ingredients are creatine ethylester with some glutamine and blends of other fluff for the label.

Directions say take 1 scoop post workout and one scoop before bed. I double that bad boy up to get HUUUGEEE results. This drops value as it is already expensive but otherwise I don't get the strength results that I am looking for.

Taste is amazing although it doesn't mix very well. I always go with fruit punch and actualy dont know if there is even another flavor. Creatine ethyl ester is usually very tart and bitter and they do a great job at masking that bite and it is very smooth.

Overall 10/10

favorite creatine on the market. Gets me strong, tastes great, I don't care about money and it gives me the results I am looking for. You want to pack on 8 pounds quick mostly water but you get super strong take 4 scoops a day!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Decent Tasting
    McGilla
      September 19, 2011

I feel bad giving a product this bad of a review, but here we go...

I found this product did absolutely nothing for me. Zero, zilch, nada. I never used this as a "night time" recovery, as it explains itself, but more of a postworkout, as I figure most use this. The product tasted like absolute crap(Fruit Punch), chalky, chunky water. Amongst the worst tasting supplements out there.

I found Absolutely Zero gains on this product, I also didn't retain water(bloat), so I guess that's a plus.

For comparison's sake, as a post workout supp(Not Amino/Glutamine/Creatine/whatever ingredient profile...strictly as a post WO supp), MusclePharm's Recon makes my muscles feel "full" after a workout. CellMass makes my arms feel like they are on fire. Not a good, "oh man 'feel the burn'!!!" or a Beta Alinine tingle...no, it's like someone held a lighter underneath my skin inside my muscle. Didn't hurt...just felt...awful.

I also got some mad dumps every single time I used this product. I'm talking 4 times 90 minutes after consumption. Can't imagine how I'm gonna retain much water after all that...

In terms of value, you can get Recon for practically the same price/serving ratio.

I wouldn't recommend this product to my dog, but it won another bb.com award this year...so I guess it works for some people.
     Pros:
     Cons:
      • Gave Me Bad Gas!
      • Not Sure If It Is Real At All Or Placebo
      killaz5
        June 13, 2011

now i dont think this was to bad of a product. i got two tubs of it a while back, and i finished the first one a while ago and i still have the second..

So first of all i used to take this as my creatine source and during that time i saw some pretty nice gains. never really got to bloated or anything. Now i currently take Kre-Alkalyn which i think is much beter, but ill take cell MASS on my off days jus to save myself the pills, and i think it aids in recovery pretty nice.

As for taste, i had fruit punch or whatever and i thought it was pretty good, almost refreshing after a workout or nice to sip on before bed.

for effectiveness, i gotta say not to bad, but not the greatest ive taken yet. i did see some strength gains and i have gotten a little bigger. This probobaly would have happened anyway but im sure the cell MASS helped. The best part is the recovery. deffinately speeds recovery time up nicely.

Price i honestly got this as a present so im not to sure what the price was, but im pretty sure its not to terrible.

Overall its not a bad creatine. Im sure there are better options out there, i personally am really enjoying the kre-alkalyn, but if you want slow, consistent Muscle Gains and good recovery, give it a try.
      • Tastes Very Good
      • Strength
        thekingyeti
          March 27, 2011

all right im fairly new to the site but not fairly new to exercising or cell mass for that matter. I have finished about 4 containers of this and these are my experiences/results.

Taste: to me, incredible almost refreshing after a workout,although you do have to mix vigerously to avoid powder build up in the bottom of your shaker, other then that tastes awesome. the one thing i really didnt like about it is the two servings a day training days and non-training days. if you work out late like me have one scoop after working out then 3 hours later right before you go to bed then adding your post work-out shake and your casein(if you take it) youll wake up at 5 am for a 2 min ***. you could take one in the morning and one at night but i think using at night is what its really intended for.

strength- in all honesty very little. im not going to say none because some people may swear by this product but unfortunatly not me. i found my best results came with the very first container. i did feel strength gains and put on about 4 pounds of muscle. the other 3 just seemed to be placebos.

Recovery- this is pretty much a very expensive glutamine product. you feel refreshed every morning and like some others have said you have an excellent sleep your body just feels relaxed it really helps with the soreness quite a bit.

All in all unless someone leaves a free brand new container of this on your front porch then by all means go crazy but dont go out to a GNC or a supp store and pick it up you'll most likely be let down. in canada ive seen it range between $59-$89. buy your self Con-Cret for less money and better results.
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Tastes Very Good
        • Aids Recovery
        • Slow Gains