Blox

By: BPI

Alright, this is going to be my personal unbiased review on the new product BLOX by BPI Sports. This product is touted as the next generation of intra-workout because supposedly silk amino acids are better than regular amino acids. I chose to personally buy, try, and review this product because of the marketing hype, exorbitant prices, and inconsistent reviews on this product thusfar.

Ingredients:

30 Servings 5g/serving

SAA Sequenced Proteins 3,960mg
(Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Threonine)

Other Ingredients (Citric Acid, Taurine, Silica, Flavors, Sucralose,...

Ingredients:

30 Servings 5g/serving

SAA Sequenced Proteins 3,960mg
(Alanine, Glycine, Serine, Valine, Threonine)

Other Ingredients (Citric Acid, Taurine, Silica, Flavors, Sucralose, ect)

Research:

A recent animal study, found that when exercising mice were given three different doses of silk amino acids for 44 days, the mice experienced: Improved exercise performance.

SAA fed mice exercised more than twice as long as mice not fed SAAs (28 minutes vs 13 minutes)

In terms of absolute improvement in exercise performance, SAAs produced improvements that were six times greater than that seen with just exercise (18 minute increase compared to 3 minute increase).

Eliminated the increase in blood lactate levels (which were significantly increased with just exercise)

Eliminated the increase in muscle oxidation (which was also significantly increased with just exercise)

Maintained blood glucose levels (vs being significantly lowered in exercising mice)
Increased muscle glycogen and liver glycogen (compared to exercise alone)

Increased testosterone levels (64% increase vs 36% reduction in exercise group; in absolute terms, blood testosterone levels that were 2.6 times higher in SAAs group compared to exercise group)

Reduced cortisol (140% increase in cortisol in exercising group while no significant increase was seen when SAAs were given)

Increased anabolic ratio (4-fold higher anabolic ratio; ie, the testosterone to cortisol ratio compared to mice not receiving any)

Increased muscle size (16% increase with high-dose)

All these claimes were gleaned from wikipedia, there was a workes cited to the actual study. The three doses that they gave the mice were 50, 160, and 500mg/kg. That would translate between 5-50 GRAMS for someone my size (approx 100kg). So, according to the study, if we reacted proportionatly with mice, we would need approx 12-15 scoops of BLOX per day for results mimicking the upper level dosages in mice.You can claim all you want, but if I'm really going to have to take 50 grams for proportionate results I want to know that ahead of time.

Now for my ratings:

--------------Effectiveness(7/10)------------

In order to gauge comparable effectiveness, I took a similar amount of BLOX as I would any other amino acid intra, which is approx 3 scoops (15 grams) per workout. Ok, so not quite accurate as 3,960mg/scoop makes 3 scoops what? 11.8grams? Anyway, I dosed it that way after switching off of my normal intra amino. During the entire time I took this, I did not notice any increase in recovery whatsoever. I was, in fact, a lot more sore, but I also switched my routine to a more demanding set toward the end and I added more in to make up for the recovery gap.

Overall, my summary for effectiveness is that it didn't stand out to me as the "next generation in recovery". Did it work? Yes, as opposed to nothing it worked, but I don't think it worked any better than your run-of-the-mill intraworkout.

----------------Taste(9/10)------------------

I tried out the watermelon flavor and it was pretty good. It was not overly sweet or an overpowering flavor, it was a good flavor to drink as an intra, when in my opinion, you would rather feel like you are drinking water than a soda or something thick tasting.

--------------Dosing/Value(3/10)-------------

First off, dosing. There are 30 scoops per tub, but needing at minimum 3 scoops per workout, the tub will only last 10 workouts. The price of this product has come down a little bit, but even now, its about 30 bucks a tub. That makes each necessary dose cost $3 bucks a day which is very steep. Amino acid powder is very cheap, Modern BCAA sells 35 actual servings (10g BCAA's) for 29.99. That's less than $1 a serving!

---------------Overall(5/10)-----------------

I think I am very generous giving this product an overall 5 rating. Why? First off, their own research on silk amino's put the effective dose at between 5-50 grams per day. I did not go through the actual paper to find out which claims went with which doses, but I think it's safe to assume that the bigger claims went hand in hand with the huge doses. Do you want to take a tub and a half of BLOX a day for results?

Ok, but it works ok right? Yeah sure, in comparison to the same amount of BCAA's its fine, but it also costs THREE TIMES AS MUCH. Not only three times as much as and BCAA product, but three times as much as USP's Modern BCAA, which is one of the highest rated BCAA products available.

Overall, this is not an outstanding product at all, and it is not worth the exorbatant price that they offer it for. Not only did I not notice commendable results, but their own research data does not back up their claims.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good

• Rebel29073
      April 19, 2012

I have only tried samples of this product so I am unable to gauge effectiveness. Glad ot see a CER on this. Ima stick with my Xtend ++
    • Reinger
      April 19, 2012

Saved me 35 bucks... thanks :)
      April 19, 2012

Yet again BPI loses reputation in my eyes.
      April 19, 2012

Dang, I forgot. I was going to put a con as, "does not give wolverine-like" recovery.
    • josephobrien
      April 19, 2012

Man sorry this didnt work for you, i havent bought this again because im trying myobuild from muscletech, like alays good review!!!!
    • MMAFreak
      April 20, 2012

Glad to see that all of my expectations of what this product would be like are 100% accurate.
    • NattyGMan
      April 20, 2012

Great review, very helpful!!! I'm sticking with my modern bcaa's. Fruit Punch actually tastes pretty good..
    • SippinPreWrk
      (-50)
      April 20, 2012

Didn't read way to long. Sorry sucker
    • rickybobby
      (0)
      April 20, 2012

I take one scoop preworkout and it works great. Why on earth would you take 3 scoops. Read the label !!!!
    • Phays
      April 20, 2012

They taste awesome, but dont do anything lol. USP labs BCAA's all the way.
    • Frankiemusc
      April 20, 2012

I guess this is why M & S has a BOGO on the reg size tub going on now.

Alright, was really against ever trying this product based off of previous reviews and my own personal experience with some BPI products. But after getting offered a tub for 19$, I figured I could at least give it a try.

Content:
    1 serving (per scoop): 5 grams
    Servings per container: 30
    Amount Per serving: 3,960 mg

SAA Sequenced Proteins:(including Alanine, Glycine, Valine, and Threonine)

Content:
    1 serving (per scoop): 5 grams
    Servings per container: 30
    Amount Per serving: 3,960 mg

SAA Sequenced Proteins:(including Alanine, Glycine, Valine, and Threonine)

Instead of using the typical BCAA/EAA blends you see in most intras, BPI instead opted to be the first to bring Silk Amino Acids (SAAs) to the market. Toting Blox as pretty much the next great breakthrough in exercise science based off of a medical study done on mice (See FlashSunday's Blox Review or Wikipedia) that included SAAs. The conclusion of the study offered some pretty great claims/results but the dosages used and how to they correlate into effective proportions for humans indicates that basically anyone over 150 pounds would have to consume what I consider a ridiculous amount of Blox to achieve similar results.

Dosing/ Effectiveness: 5/10
    On the tub, BPI recommends dosing Blox with either one scoop pre-workout, one scoop during, and one scoop immediately post-workout. BPI also recommends using one scoop first thing in the morning on non-training days. I at first followed this protocol and began using one scoop of Blox and sipping on it during my workouts, just as I typically do with most intras that I use. This however did not yield any kind of results except for making my water taste fantastic. So I began upping the dosage to see what was the most effective for me until I finally started to see some results at 3 scoops per training day.

So as I previously stated, one scoop did absolutely nothing for me in terms of recovery and endurance. With taking two scoops, I was getting the same kind of results. Then I bumped it up to three scoops, with taking one scoop pre-workout and two scoops during. This yielded better results and there was definitely a difference in terms of recovery and endurance as compared to taking just one scoop, but was still nothing remarkable or as fantastic as the claims BPI makes on the label. Then I finally began using four scoops per workout, with taking two scoops mixed in with two scoops of my pre-workout formula (Purus Labs Condense). And then mixing two scoops of Blox in twenty ounces of water and sipping on it during my workout. This combination yielded the best results, as there was a noticeable difference in my energy/endurance levels along with slightly shorter recovery times between sets. But sadly, even at four scoops per workout, the results I got were still nowhere close to say CL Purple Wraath or Iforce Compete, which I had actually just finished two tubs of before beginning Blox.

Mixability/Taste: 10/10
    I had the "Green Apple" flavor and it is by far the best tasting apple flavored supplement, or consumer product for that matter, that I have basically ever used. It has a very crisp and sweet taste to it, with a mellow tanginess that definitely satisfied my taste buds. Blox also mixes very easily in a shaker bottle and causes only a little bit of foam to form at the top, even with two scoops. And this is basically all the positive things that I have to say about this product.

Initially BPI was charging right around 40$ for a single tub of Blox when they first introduced it. Now you can pick a tub up online for right under 30$, depending of course where you order it from. And normally this would not be all that bad and is competitively priced to similar products. But based on how I got nothing out of the recommended serving and eventually bumped it up all the way to four scoops, I burned through an entire tub in just about 12 days. So therefore I have to give a very low rating here as the amount of scoops I had to take from a product that only has 30 scoops per tub is nowhere economical or justifiable in my mind.

Overall Blox tastes great and I believe you have to take basically a seventh of the tub per workout to really get anything out of it. So I would definitely not recommend this to anyone, unless of course you like paying 30$ for a water flavor enhancer. In the future, the only SAAs I'll be using will probably be the ones in my shampoo and conditioner.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Good Flavor
    • Easy Mix
    • Tastes Good

September 26, 2013

Meant to put thumbs Down, Damnit.
      • BrooklynBuff

19$ for some dam kool-aid
      • tiktik
        September 26, 2013

It's an awesome tasting kool aid though, despite the fact that it's overprice and vastly ineffective.
        September 26, 2013

Yup, just expensive ass Kool-Aid pretty much
      • ODAAT365
        September 26, 2013

BPI operates under the "people will buy anything if it tastes good" marketing principle. It's basically the only reason they sell any of their supplements. Nice review.
      • Sal
        September 27, 2013

Sadly, I used this product and love it. I do not know why. Every time I use it I feel great. I will be glowing with joy when every retail outlet clearances it out.

I don't even know where to start with this one. With the general direction of the supplement industry going more towards research based ingredients, BPI took more of the old school Muscletech approach with this one. The claims associated with this product are no better than the folks over at force factor when marketing their products. The old mentality of over hyping a supplement based off of very inconclusive research is not good for the reputation of the supplement industry in general. The only reason this product still exists is because of its unbelievable taste and strong placebo effect in humans.

Value:

$35-$50 depending on where you go. You get 30 servings of five grams and 1/5 of the container is artificial sweeteners or dyes. So they recommend 2-3 scoops a day so you're looking at $70 a month to run this as directed. 70$ a month for AT MOST decreased soreness and increased recovery. I got multiple tubs of this thrown my way when I managed a GNC, and I probably wouldn't pay more than $10 for this product if I saw it sitting in the clearance section today.

Performance:

I ran about 3 tubs total. I ran it 2-4 scoops a day and didn't change any parts of my lifting schedule. I saw no strength increases or significant changes to my LBM. While running this product I did not notice a significant difference in recovery. Not much else I can say about the matter.

Taste:

They had to make this taste good and they did. Tastes like a perfect batch of Koolaid. I enjoyed the Watermelon and Fruit Punch flavors the most. The Blue Razz was meh, and I wasn't a fan of the lemonade either. Good mixability and no clumping at all. This product is extremely heavy on the dyes.

Conclusion:

Unless you are given this for free I really think you are wasting money here. BPI was smart in unleashing thousands upon thousand of samples to the world. The great taste and placebo effect is strong at first, but at the end of the tub you will be disappointed.
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Easy Mix
      • Tastes Good

November 6, 2013

This tastes so good that if it were $10 I'd buy it and I'd pretend that it worked. Good review bro
        • Gkeezy
          November 6, 2013

Sorry fat finger will +rep u elsewhere

hello sr brothers!!, been a long time since i did my last review and this one will be my best review.

I have gone through a 30 serv tub and a 60 serving tub and currently on my 3rd tub,60 as well, i will rate this product based off different categories.

taste/flavor/texture-10- i have taking blue raspberry, watermelon,green apple.and sampled fruit punch and lemonade. all flavors were great, the texture was easy, very easy to mix,it does eventually settle but it doesn't stick to bottom and with an effortless shake it mixes up nice.

Effectiveness-10- now the first tub...

Effectiveness-10- now the first tub i had i used it up in two weeks, i did a scoop throughout my workout and after,days i didn't lift i took it first thing in a.m. and before bed- this product was amazing for reducing DOMS, my soreness literally was non existent.even with me changing up lifts and reps it really helped me recover alot faster and I felt a big difference in endurance and strength during my workouts.

value-6-this is the bullet i bit, a 30 ct tub cost me 31.99 and was only a two week supply, yes its better than other bcaa's but i didn't mind paying more for better results.others may disagree but you get what you pay for, however i cant afford to make this a staple supplement.

overall i recommend giving this product a run for two weeks as long as you can get it for 30 or less, but it really does work well and taste was amazing
         Pros:
         Cons:
        • Good Flavor
        • Effective
        • Slight Increased Strength
        • Good Recovery
        • Eliminates Soreness

March 21, 2012

I just invested in this along with modern bcaa to see how they compare. I had a gift card for muscle and strength so i figured what the heck, ill give it a go. I hope the effectiveness is up with the price tag.
          • josephobrien
            March 21, 2012

Its worth it to at least go through a tub for the experience. i felt like its value was 25$ for the servings to effect ratio
          • Reinger
            March 21, 2012

Really really want to try this. Big claims for such an unassuming product. Stocking up on samples. I might give it a go.after Flash does...
          • Antell32
            March 21, 2012

I agree with you on this stuff. Fantastic.

Clipper83

Alright I got this as a free gift from BPI. They gave me a full tub of the flavor I wanted to try (watermelon), along with a few other samples. While I am thankful for that, I am giving an honest review here.

Taste- 10/10, honestly, this is the best thing I have ever tasted in my life. I heard great things about the taste and was very curious. I already love anything with watermelon flavor so it was great that my free tub happened to be just that! I have an absolute hatred for any taste in fruit punch, in fact, I even got a free tub of N0 Extreme from work, and even though I love the energy I got from it, I still gave it to my friend because I hate fruit punch. Why am I telling you this? Because I actually liked the fruit punch flavor I got with this, which is VERY impressive to me. The lemonade flavor was the best in my opinion.

Effectiveness- 2/10, even giving this a 2 is generous to be really honest. I stopped taking Modern BCAA for BLOX, which I have always been a fan of. I took this during and after my workout, and on off days I would take it in the morning. I never knew how effective Modern BCAA really was until I switched to BLOX. I was getting REALLY sore. My diet is in check as well so I know it wasn't a lack of nutrients or water. If the product claims a speedy recovery, I expect a speedy recovery ! This product was not effective for recovery.

Value-1/10, I believe this is around $50 at GNC. Even with my discount I wouldn't buy this. The only value I get from this would be the taste, and that is not why I take this product.

Overall- 3-10, I gave this a 3 being generous because BPI NAILED IT with the taste. I would like to try the other flavors because I am sure they taste amazing as well, but I am not going to fork over the money for expensive kool-aid. I would not recommend this product, unless you don't mind spending lots of money for great taste!

Sorry for the long review but these are my thoughts. I enjoy criticism !
           Pros:
           Cons:
          • Good Flavor

April 3, 2012

I forgot to say, I wouldn't buy this even at internet prices !
              April 3, 2012

I'm so torn on this product. The reviews keep going back and forth.

Stick to leucine !

I stick to AI RecoverPro
            • JNip24
              April 3, 2012

From what you said I take it you work at GNC, same here. I got the free bottle with the same flavor. One of the best tasting supplements ever and one of the least effective supplements ever. Nice review bro.
              April 4, 2012

Haha yeah I was happy i got to try it, but i wasn't surprised by the outcome.

I don't want to absolutely crush this supplement because who knows how effective it actually is, but I felt no different while taking it. I think BCAA are more effective for sure.

There has been one clinical trial on BLOX that BPI alledgedbly did on mice. They concluded that BLOX gives you more endurance and recovery and gave some numbers of improvements that the mice made.

SAA (silk amino acids). BPI marketed the hell out of this supplement, claiming that SAA is the new revolutionary product for enhanced recovery and performance. This is a load of crap in my book and just great marketing on their side.

Recovery and Endurance:
            My recovery and endurance felt the same as not taking anything. The only thing I got to do is enjoy the great watermellon flavor. This was probably the best flavored supplement I have ever tried. Recovery, strength, and endurance was the same as the month before when I wasn't taking anything

Overall:
            I won't buy blox again. It is like 35 bucks for 25 servings I believe. Superexpensive, overmarketed, and overhyped. I'd rather buy standard BCAA
             Pros:
             Cons:
            • Good Flavor

• bjj
                July 4, 2012

Good review man and I would agree with you. If i were to pay for an amino acid product, it would have to be modern bcaa's by usp labs.

one word worthless....

i did not see anything from this product other than the fact that it tasted great. i have used many amino acid supplements and with this new rage of SAA i figured what the hell why not. in all honestly i did not notice a single thing. no recovery, no strength gains etc...

like the reviews before me the science behind this is there in mice but the levels of dosaging is completely impractical with the cost.

one word worthless....

i definitely wouldnt go with this product nor recommend it to any one. not to mention muscles are made of amino acids that have been around forever just as humans have. im sure silk aminos have too but why allof the sudden infuse them into human bodies? we know bcaa and other aminos work stick with it.

i suggest this product of you want and expensive kool-aid or something to break the monotony of water other than that look for amino x, modern bcaa, dymatize recoup etc....
               Pros:
               Cons:
              • Good Flavor

• coachjschrot
                  June 22, 2012

I saw this product a while back and was considering it. I ready the profile and had to do a double take when I saw that there was no Leucine. I was like WTF! I promptly put it back on the shelf haha
                • mloui89
                  June 22, 2012

Yeah I got a good deal on it and I always like to try new things like I said crystal lite would be a better buy but thats all good that's why we try them
                  June 22, 2012

Funny how most reviews on this(including mine) always say how great it tastes, but how worthless it is

I was surprised by this product. I usually don't feel any effect from BCAAs. I assume they help my recovery, but I could never really tell from the why I feel. I still don't understand what a "silk" BCAA is. But it has had a definite effect on my first months use. I stack it with DS Craze (which is fantastic for focus and stamina) as a pre-workout drink. The first time I used it, I had a really good Chest and back workout but didn't attribute the effect to Blox. Then my second workout, I did legs and I notice a significant "freshness' and added strength during my heavy sets. The next workouts went just as well. The only change I made was the addition of Blox. Since I took some after working out, it only lasted a couple of weeks. The container is small and it is WAY too expensive.I know alot of people have been saying that they don't notice any difference in soreness. But I sure did. I usually has some shoulder soreness after Bench workout and days I workout shoulders. Blox seemed to really help. I am cautious though because I have only used it for a couple of weeks.
                 Pros:
                 Cons:
                • Effective
                • Slight Increased Strength
                • Eliminates Some Soreness
                • Good Recovery
                • Good Flavor

February 26, 2012

I would like to try this, but i wouldn't pay for it...at least not at first.
                  • musclemaniac
                    (0)
                    February 26, 2012

I agree I bought this and I've taken tons of bcaa's and i drink a pwo with bcaas on lifting days but when I sipped this at the beginning of my workouts it helped a little with recovery like it wasnt crazy or anything but when I was really motivated I could go really hard with little fatigue.
                  • kaufy1987
                    February 26, 2012

Valine is the only BCAA in this product which meant this isn't a true BCAA product. I tried this and its just expensive flavored water...

DISCLAIMER: This is my first review.

Now that we got that out of the way. I will start with the "Pros."

This product tastes verrrrry good. Not like traditional "chemical" tasting BCAAs.

With that said, lets move to the "Cons"

DISCLAIMER: This is my first review.

Now that we got that out of the way. I will start with the "Pros."

With that said, lets move to the "Cons"

This product, in my opinion costs way too much for what it is. They market the fact that it mixes amazing and stays perfectly mixed even after a day. Well, that is because there is only one of the 3 BCAAs in the blend. BCAAs by nature are not water-soluble so this was an obvious red flag. Regular aminos (BTW this only has 5!) don't even cost much per serving.

OVERALL: There is no benefit to this product other than sipping on a tasty beverage after a meal. It's overpriced for whats actually in and does not serve a purpose to bodybuilders or athletes.
                   Pros:
                   Cons:
                  • Good Flavor

• Tsunami2k
                      February 24, 2012

So the infamous 'Silk Amino Acids' aren't worth it huh?
                      February 24, 2012

This wasn't exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting but I'm not surprised Blox are useless
                    • Momo1
                      February 24, 2012

So what you are saying, it's great for Magaritas? Sad how BPI has gone down with products that over promise and under deliver :(
                    • JohnBouchell
                      February 24, 2012

Bummed. Waited for a review on this and was hopeful ... thanks for the review. I just submitted a 'bust' review as well.
                    • kaufy1987
                      February 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback guys. I hope the review was helpful. I didn't want to come off as an ass but I've purchased some products that did nothing for me in the past. If a product is snake-oil, it should be called out because people work hard for and spend a lot of $$$ on supps!
                    • line6reed
                      February 25, 2012

Everywere i look this crap is getting 10 stars i agree to good to be true im not a huge fan of bcaa anyway ive used xtend for 3 months now and dont see to much of a diffrence just something tasty to have while i lift
                    • jburton
                      February 25, 2012

You have no idea what your talking about, half of what i heard you says was wrong. Research some more, then go for a run and dont stop.

First Review ever. (Be easy on meh)

Okay. So blox is basically something you can drink before, during, or after your workout. Typically priced around $30 so about $1 a serving, and It's supposed to raise Test levels, reduce cortisol levels and help with basically blunting the pain while you train. It does just that for me, but i'll get into more detail.

Taste Rating (10/10)
                    First Review ever. (Be easy on meh)

Taste Rating (10/10)
                    Taste seems to a good factor on this product, it's basically a few aminos and sugar (sucralose) in the bottle. It's very fine powder, and I've tried every single flavor and never have had a problem with any. It mixes very well too.

Effectiveness (8/10)

I gave this an 8 simply for the fact that i do feel more endurance when i drink it, and I'm not as sore, but then again I intake quite a bit of protein post workout so that could be the effect. Also, SAA's aren't really backed by any research but I do enjoy them.

Price (7/10)

If you pick these up at GNC its about $64 for 2 tubs after GC discount, or you get the 60 serving sucker for $60 and thats not terrible, but then again if I'm gonna pay $1 a serving it better be doing all that it says and more.

Overall (8/10)

I gave this a 8 simply for the fact is that it works for me, tastes good and does increase my recovery time (I think). I just wish there was more science behind it and they made it a bit cheaper. $25 would be perfect considering most supps are made for extremely low cost.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Thanks everyone.
                     Pros:
                     Cons:
                    • Good Flavor
                    • Slight Increased Strength
                    • Eliminates Some Soreness
                    • Good Recovery
                    • Easy Mix
                    • Tastes Good
                      Copyright © 2014 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.