Whey Tech Reviews

By: BodyTech

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #73 of 94 (better than 23%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

Whey Tech is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by BodyTech. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

October 6, 2015

Another review here guys. I have been dying to write a review on here for this product since the first day I tried it. Thanks to SR's deal section, I was able to see that this product was part of a BOGO 1/2 off sale on Little background on myself: I train for strength, primarily centered around powerlifting. Ripped, jacked, and abnormally buff are great for others. Personally I would rather be able to have a 1500 total at 198 lbs than be 220 with 23 inch arms. Different strokes for different folks. My routines range from 5/3/1, sheiko, smolov, cube kingpin, and madcow among others. I beat the living snot out of my body on the regular between my working out and working in manual labor. I am constantly on the hunt for the best supplements to aid in muscle recovery. When I saw this on sale at vitamin shoppe I was pretty stoked. I know Body Tech is one of their few in house brands. I have had great success with their other inhouse products and decided to try it out.

----Ingredient Profile(6.3/10)----
The ingredient profile on this is a bit higher than average in my opinion. There is a "protein blend" which doesn't concern me as much as the other ingredients. The ingredients that do raise my eyebrows a bit are the amounts of sugars and different oils. Also I'm not a fan of anything to do with soy which they have in here. Also the amount of fillers in this product is nothing to be happy about. The saving grace as to why I rated this so high is the fact that there is 18 different amino acids in this product. Most of these are right on the money in terms of effective amounts.

Arginine- Maximum dose considered to be safe is 400-6,000 milligrams. This product goes just above the minimum with 617 mgs. This plays a vital role in immune function, releasing hormones, and cell division.

Glutamine- On average supplements have close to 5 grams. This has 3.83 grams. Considering this isn't a strict BCAA or Glutamine product I feel this is a great amount.

IsoLeucine- Added benefits have been documented as low as .3 grams, this has 1448 mgs.

Leucine- Known benefits have started at 1.7 grams, this product contains 2354 mgs.

Lysine- Daily amount should include 1-3 grams, Whey Tech has this dosed at 2234 mgs.

Proline- The recommended dosage is 500 mgs- 1 gram per day, they overshot the mark on this with 1.343 grams.

Serine- Usual daily dosages range from 300 mgs- 1 gram per day, this carries 1094 mgs.

Threonine- Although the dosage can range from 2-4 grams per day, there is a chance for negative side effects such as headaches, queasiness, and skin rashes. They played it safe with 1533 mgs.

The taste on this is decent. Nothing to yell from the top of a roof and shout how good it tastes, but all the same not so horrible its more than a chore to drink. I got their cookies and cream flavor. I feel it is almost a direct rip off of BioNutritional's Power Crunch Proto Whey powder in which the flavor didn't match up whatsoever. Again this isn't a terrible tasting protein powder, but I would describe it as bland as possible. The mixability with this product is awesome. No clumps or any issues for that matter. The dosing on this is simple. One scoop equates to 24 grams of protein and 18 amino acids. I would always have this post workout. On my off days I started using it in my morning coffee. Tastes awesome considering I usually drink straight black coffee with no sugar or cream.

Ok here is the only really substantial area where I feel this product could be improved up. I did get my normal not as sore as before from this product but that's where it ended. This wasn't the product to help me feel as if my muscles were in the recovery stage. Whenever I have a great workout and drink a really good protein shake I feel the pump turn into a full feeling as if the protein is attacking the broken muscle fibers and healing them right away. Some really good whey protein powders I have tried has also even given me an energy boost. This product didn't do either of those. Hours later I could tell that my body was in the process of recovery and this product was working. I feel it did above its bare minimum. This is an effective product but not one that I would say rivals its competitors.

Ok so with the BOGO deal that I saw on here I got two two pound containers for $40. This equaled out to 57 servings. $0.70 per serving is an outstanding deal for any product that is somewhat effective.

----Side Effects(10/10)----
No noticeable side effects whatsoever. I have a very weak stomach stemming from years of my body getting beat up. My stomach cannot take a lot of protein products. This product tho delivered results without any side effects which is always a plus.

My conclusion on this is I probably should have shopped around a little bit better. Instead of jumping on this deal like any eager consumer, if I would have done my homework I would have found a better deal. I may or may not stick with this product. I am going to try out ON's 100% whey next and than I'll see if this is worth buying again. I won't say this is a horrible product, but I will say I have had better. The price point and ingredient profile packed with its aminos is a plus, but it gets a little overshadowed by not being as effective as others. POPS OUT
  • Tastes Decent
  • Good Amount Per Serving Of Amino Acids
  • Low Carbs
  • Low Calories
  • Not As Effective As Other Products
  • Ingredient Profile Could Be Drastically Improved

June 18, 2014

I bought this during a Vitamin Shoppe BOGO offer a few weeks ago. I went with the French Vanilla flavor. I tend to use it during breakfast and post-workout (either lifting or cardio).

taste/mixability = 7/10
It doesn't taste bad, but it isn't the best. It is not overly sweet or fake tasting, which is a plus. It tends to mix well by hand, in a shaker or in a blender. It didn't matter if I used water, milk, almond milk, etc.

effectiveness/digestibility = 8/10
If I don't use whey after workouts, I am much more fatigued and sore- I did not skip any post workout shakes, so by assumption, this helped with soreness and recovery. As a first morning whey, it mixed well in everything I put it in (cereal, milk, coffee, oatmeal, etc). I also like a whey protein that I can digest with no problem. I had no GI issues with this product.

cost = 10/10
At my local Vitamin Shoppe store I can get this on sale for less than $10 per pound, which is pretty good value in comparison to the majority of the Whey powders out there.

profile = 9/10
I don't want to list the entire profile, but this product seemed to deliver 24g protein per 29.4g scoop and only 110 cals in that serving. I don't higher calorie whey powders, with less than 24 grams of protein per serving. I worry about "fillers", which I don't really want immediately first thing in the morning or post-workout, from my whey powder. Though they do put the first ingredient as "protein blend" of whey protein isolate AND concentrate, without saying how much of either is in the product, having both listed on the label, in that order is good enough for me.

Overall, I would buy this again (actually bought another tub yesterday, with a 10% coupon- can't beat the price!!) I recommend it for anyone that likes the ON whey powders. I felt that it was very similar to it in quality for a little less $$. Because I like vanilla for most powers, I have not yet tried the chocolate.
      August 29, 2012

Alright everyone ive used 2 tubs of this so ill give my review!

I was choosing between this and Gold Standard and decided to pull the trigger on this due to cost and servings.

The nutritional profile is very similar to Gold standard and its a few bucks cheaper so i figured why not!

Taste 10/10
    I honestly thought this tasted MUCH better than Gold Standard. I honestly feel Gold Standard tastes bland and i honestly get sick of the taste halfway through a 5 pound tub. I can say i actually looked forward to these shakes though. I had chocolate and to me it tasted like nesquick.

Mixability 10/10
    I never had any clumping when using this product. I would just throw it in the shaker shake it up and i was good to go.

Overall i say this is a good quality protein for a good price. You get a lot of servings for the money.
    • Tastes Great!
        August 28, 2012

Protein is one of those necessities that just stays in the shadows and inconspicuously does its job. Protein is kind of like a janitor: it is a key member of the team - a member whose contributions you probably take for granted - and he only get's noticed when he's not doing his job well; i.e., the toilet gets backed up.

Here are my metrics for evaluation of a protein supplement (they aren't in any particular order and aren't all weighted the same): Taste, Mixability, Ingredient Profile, Digestability, Value.

Product: BodyTech Whey Tech; 5lb tub; Whey Protein Concentrate

Taste: 7 (Chocolate)
      It was pleasant, but with a bit of an artificial aftertaste. It tastes good in milk, and is definitely manageable in water as well.

Mixability: 8
      It mixes better than I expected it to; the drink goes down smoothly and the texture is just fine. No clumping. There will be some residue that settles out on top of the liquid and gets left on the inside of the shaker cup. Not a big deal, it's easily rinsed out with water.

Ingredient Profile: 6
      The nutrition facts are quite comparable to gold standard 100% whey. Per serving: 1.5g fat, 4g carbs (1g sugar), and...17g protein. That's where things get a bit off track. Each scoop is only 71% protein, and to get your 20g protein you're also taking in roughly 2g fat and 5g carbs. I didn't personally find this to be an issue; it's just something to remember when tallying up the macros.

As far as the protein source goes, it comes from 100% whey protein concentrate, so that explains the extra fat and carbs. The label doesn't say how the concentrate was manufactured. There's 3.6g of naturally-occurring BCAAs, and "whey protein hydrolysate" (I expect that's a typo) and "l-glutamine" are both listed with the ingredients (though likely at minimal doses).

Digestability: 8
      I know concentrate as a whey source poses a gastrointestinal challenge for some people. I've had poor quality protein before, and my stomach doesn't shy away from letting me know. I will tell you that my digestive issues with this protein were few and far between, and even then, some of that discomfort had to be due to the mass amounts of calories I was packing in.

Value: 9
      I got this at Vitamin Shoppe. Regular price was about $45 with tax, but you can get it on BOGO 50% off or, like I did, with a 20% off coupon. As I said above, there's 17g protein per serving. Most protein supplements are at least 20g, so I did a little math: the 5lb tub has 80 servings of 20g of protein (calculated from 94 servings of 17g). Stick with me now – I did that so we can compare the cost per serving much more accurately to other proteins. (The calculations below are based on 80 servings.)

Regular price = $.56/serving.
      20% off price = $.45/serving.

I thought that was a great price considering how much protein costs these days.

Overall: 8

Lightning round:
      - I would buy this protein again, just not at list price. (With a 20% off coupon or the BOGO 50% off, yes.)
      - Acceptable taste and above-average mixability.
      - This is a solid quality whey concentrate; minimal digestive issues.
      - No, it's not fat-free and carb-free, but you get what you pay for. They save money on the filtration, we save money on the protein.
          August 1, 2011

Okay so this is my first review after I took an unpleasant break from lifting weights so here we go!:

This whey came across to me as an effective "value" proposition after I started a lifting routine once again. The Whey is a mix of concentrate and "protein-hydrolyzed" whey.

Effectiveness 8.: After I recovered from hernia surgery and after a long hiatus from lifting I was... well no other way to say it.. weak! This whey quickly helped me regain my strength and mass. Its only 17g of protein per serving but alas its also over 90+ servings.

Taste 7.: Well, I am not picky when it comes to taste but have tried a lot of proteins and if you can get past the fact that its sweetened with Splenda then you will enjoy it. Mixability is pretty good as well.

Dosing: I take this protein postworkout, at bed time (not the best for it... yes). On off days during the morning and at night

Overall 8.: I would recommend this whey as a good value to someone wanting to save some dough and not obsessed with grams per serving. There is better out there but this value is hard to beat.
        • Great Value

Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.