Premium Whey Protein Reviews

By: Body Fortress

Overall Score   How is this Calculated?

7.1

Ranks #84 of 91 (better than 8%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

Premium Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Body Fortress. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
INGREDIENTS (7)
THIS PRODUCT

CATEGORY AVG

1.5g

Molecule that supports ATP production in the body and increases lean body mass, strength, power, and stamina.

THIS PRODUCT

MIN. EFF. DOSE

0.5g
CATEGORY AVG

1.5g

Amino acid that draws water into muscle cells which improves hydration, recovery, performance and pumps.

COMPARE SIMILAR

Frankiemusc
  August 5, 2011

This is the first time I tried a lower budget protein as part of my "lower budget supps" experiment during the last 3 weeks.

I came across few coupons for this particular brand and wanted to see the difference of using a lower budget protein for a week and a half.

Each scoop yields 26 grams of protein.

Used this as my wake up protein drink (1 scoop) and my post workout protein (1 1/2 scoops) with either skim milk or Gatorade.

Value-10

I purchased this for $12, with a $3 coupon at Walmart. Pretty cheap for 2 lbs of whey protein, but you get what you pay for in price.

Mixablity-6

I usually mixed this with either skim milk or Gatorade. You really need to give it a stir or a good shake for at least a minute. Unfortunately, it was still slightly gritty regardless, as a result of the cheaper ingredients.

Taste-7

Purchased the vanilla flavor and it was decent with skim milk or Gatorade. I have had worse tasting proteins in the past than this product. The taste was decent even with the slight grittiness.

Side Effects

There is creatine mono in this product, but it doesn't state how much. This may or may not have caused the below

I did experienced bloating as compared to none, with my staple protein Dymatize Elite Whey, in using the same liquids to mix it with.

Effectiveness 7

This was a decent protein nonetheless. I did not notice any decrease in muscle size or appearance in the 1 1/2 weeks of using it, or notice any difference in my workouts.

I was expecting to notice a difference in the above.

Only issue was bloating,that subsided after about 1 hour of ingesting the product.

Overall 7

If you are on a budget and looking for a decent protein, then possibly give this a try.
  • Decent Protein On A Budget
  • Decent Taste
  • Gritty
Eliospeaks89
  November 12, 2012

There comes a time in every iron pumping barrel chested hero's life when the money is scarce and he's left with the ultimate life decision, buy high quality protein or buy toilet paper. This is where body fortress comes in, the cheapest most overlooked brushed off protein in today's modern way too technical world of protein. I bought this because buying a higher quality product just didnt fit my budget and in all honesty I was fairly surprised. What prompted me to write this review? To help all you broke barrel chested iron fiends.

I used this while on a lean bulk doing a 3 day split taking every fourth day off. Majority of my workout consisted of compound movements with complimentary isolation exercises. Im not going to get into before and after as protein products are just that, protein. This isnt supermechadianabol where the effects are noticeable in a week sorry to dissapoint.

--------TASTE/MIXABILITY (8)
I got the vanilla and to be honest this shizzz really surprised me with taste. I actually enjoyed it after my workouts considering I was expecting to taste like the backside of a donkey. It mixed really well in a shaker cup just a few clumps here and there but it wasnt a big deal. I only used it in a shaker a few times the rest i blended this with almond milk, ice cubes, raw honey and cinnamon to get dem fast acting carbs son! All in all solid taste, no issues here.

---------PROFILE (7)
This is the part that really surprised me when i was standing in that aisle at wal-mart embarrassed of myself for being there. On the ingredients it lists concentrate as the first ingredient and isolate as the second. The BCAA profile was decent I've seen better on other proteins. This even has L-glutamine in it... SCORE! and creatine monohydrate... DOUBLE SCORE!
At 140 calories per scoop with 2 grams of fat, 7 grams of carbs, and 26 grams of protein i'd say not bad at all.

--------EFFECTIVENESS (7)
The protein helps you reach your macro's for the day if your slacking. I suck at judging the effectiveness of a protein because its not something that isn't noticeable for the most part. With the BCAA's and glutamine in it i'll admit i didnt always feel sore the following day. As for the creatine, i never noticed it since I was using my purple STUFF. You know? Kre-Alkalyn.

--------VALUE (9)
At 14 dollars for a 2lb tub i'll give you two chocolate chip cookies and a gold star if you can find anything cheaper.

--------OVERALL (7)
Overall im pleased with this protein I dont really have anything negative to say about it. Would I recommend this? "Yeahhhhhh you'll make allll kindzzz of gainzzzz! yeahhhhh" I think I'm going to be coming back to this protein even when I'm not broke. From time to time when I'm feeling like a baller I might get some higher quality protein isolate. But in all seriousness if you ever find yourself tight on cash don't be afraid to walk down to wal-mart and get you one of these bad boys to hold you over.

....hope this helped anyone interested.

• Good Amino Acid Profile
  • ...oh And Did I Say Cheap!?
  • Food Stamp Protein
mckadetalbot
  December 13, 2011

So being only 16, I dont have a lot of money and what money I do have I usually blow on expensive supplements. Well I saw this at walmart and decided to give it a chance. I usually take AMP wheyabolic 60 and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two other than price.

Effectiveness: Being a bmx racer I am not to worried about my weight gains but I will say that I have gained about 4 pounds on this a leaned out a lot. My favorite part is recovery, I train 6 days a week and need my recovery and this product delivers it!

Taste: I bought chocolate peanut butter and it tasted pretty good. It didn't really taste like peanut butter at all but I use water with mine so I don't know if that makes a difference. It kinda taste like coffee but it is still satisfying.

value: obviously the value is great, and if you go on line you can find 3, 2 pound tubs for around 40 bucks; that's 6 pounds of protein for the same price as a 2 pound of any name brand. And with the amount of bcaa and creatine you get, you cant beat it.

Mix-ability: I use a shaker cup 24/7 and it works just fine. Like i said before, I only use water. I have heard and read that if you use water it filters into your muscles faster. just a few flicks and your good to go.

Overall this a great product, especially if you are on a budget. I will for being keeping this in my stack.
    IGetMoney1
      August 12, 2012

I have tried the chocolate flavor only. I have only tried one other type of protein mix. I have purchased Body Fortress 5 times (2lb jugs).
    I have made solid gains. It tastes good.
    I did not have any problems until tonight. I bought a jug that seemed to have a little something extra to it. There appears to be little white powder mixed in. At first I thought it was excess salt because it has changed the taste a little bit, but it does not dissolve in water as salt would. I am a little worried because the product is NOT inspected by anyone, it is simply "carefully manufactured". I worked in a "careful manufacturing" environment once and I know that sometimes things happen and EXTERNAL checks/inspections are the only thing that catches problems. I am considering trying some other brands, but cost is pretty high and still none are inspected by an external entity (to my knowledge). I want to keep up the gains, but I have to wonder if ingesting this product and the strange, ground up, plastic-like substance in this particular jug is worth it....
    IGNORE MY RATINGS. I do not feel that I can rate the product because I do not really have a basis of comparison. I can tell you that taking a couple scoops before and after I work out and occaisionally when I miss a meal has helped me achieve my goal of getting bigger. The effects that it has had on my overall health are still unknown to me. I am not sure if I will use it again. I probably will because I have trouble putting on weight without it.
    • Decent Taste
    • Mostly Sugar
    Nutrexpert
      July 29, 2012

We've all been here: the low-budget trip to Walmart to pick up a tub of protein just to hold you over until you can get the money for ON's Gold Standard Whey, or some other higher quality protein powder. I've used it and USP Labs Jack3d for a majority of my high school career. Needless to say, I don't still use it. Here's the specifics:

Taste: 9/10. The cookies and cream were incredible tasting, even with water. I loved it and could drink it as a normal beverage throughout the day if I wanted to. The texture isn't too chalky, like the chalkolate is (haha, get it?).
    The whey isolate version of this product only came in vanilla where I'm from, and the taste for that wasn't bad either (7.5/10). I'd prefer the isolate (as any lifter would) over the normal stuff, at just 7 dollars more per tub.

Recovery/effectiveness: 5/10. It's not a bad product, but I didn't notice a decrease in recovery time when I took it. There are much, much better products for recovery like Myogenix Aftershock, ON 2:1:1 recovery, and Allmax Isoflex.

Ingredient concoction: 4/10. This is where the product gets thrown in a ditch. The protein complex is almost entirely whey concentrate, the least absorptive of the three types of whey protein. It's basically the garbage bi-product of milk, and has only a 55%-60% bioavailability rate. Compared to whey isolate (90%), and whey hydrolysate (near 100%), this is not good. You're basically seeing all of your protein go into the toilet...literally. The amino count is decent, but hard to tell because the recovery wasn't quite there.

Price: 7.5/10. You basically get what you pay for with this product. It's a very cheap price at $14.99, but you're almost better off using the money to buy 10 dozen eggs and eating egg whites after you workout. That's what I would do if I was ballin' on a budget supplement wise. If you're a poor high school student, this isn't a bad option, and any protein is better than no protein. The isolate is $21.99 if you want to spend the extra money and get higher quality protein. This is probably the cheapest in terms of isolate powders.

The worst part about this protein is getting bad gas and being on the toilet more frequently. Other proteins don't do that to me. I would recommend Allmax Isoflex, Myogenix AfterShock, or most other proteins/post workout supplements before this one.
    • Low-quality Ingredients
    • Bubble Guts
    gbganab
      March 28, 2010

I was running short on ON extreme chocolate milk and I needed something quick. It was on special for 12 bucks and cookies and cream sounded great! It tasted really good...didn't notice any real difference between that and ON's optimum. I mix my shakes with just water and I thought it was quite good. I'm going to try another brand but I know in the back of my head that this is probably just as good as anything else out there!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Cookies N Cream!
    • Cheap
      Sycoholic
      Rep: -9
        May 29, 2013

I've been through all the flavors. My favorites are Chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookies and Cream. Chocolate is typical chocolate. Vanilla is ok but a bit "thin" tasting. Tastes better with milk though. (I usually mix my supplements with water). I find the Vanilla is best for recipe's. If you like a good tasting vanilla protein powder don't expect Syntha-6 flavor.. However, the other flavors are good. The new tubs are now 60grams of protein per scoop. Primarily it's Whey Concentrate, which is the lower end whey, but hence the price. For $15 for a 2lb tub you can't beat it. I'm not made of money so I can't always buy the more expensive isolate. I feel recovery is good on this product as I experience no more muscle soreness than when regularly taking other higher end priced whey protein. It mixes very well too which is a huge positive. I have several different styles of shaker bottles and it mixes well in all of them.

If you're strapped for cash don't feel ashamed of buying this. It's the same ingredient list as other higher priced products you find at GNC and other places... (regarding whey concentrate, isolate).

I also get no bloating or gas from these. I would recommend these to everybody. You can't beat it for price and quality... great value!

They have redone their products not that long ago... so some of the older reviews are really not applicable anymore.
      • Cheap
      • Chocolate Peanut Butter!
        spwjww909311
          October 31, 2012

I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet. A lot of people are skeptical of Body Fortress' Whey because it is relatively cheap (when compared to others) and because you can purchase it at Walmart. I think this criticism is, for the most part, unfair.

Overall, this protein did what it was supposed to do. It helped build muscle, and provided me with a good post-workout recovery shake or an occasional breakfast shake when I needed it.

This protein worked relatively well. To be honest, I can't complain much. It works good, but as in every other aspect of life, there are products that are better. One of my favorite things about this protein is that it contains Creatine monohydrate in it, and my muscles usually thanked it for that!

The price is really where this product shines to me. If you are a college student (like me), or on a tight budget, then it is nice to be able to go to any Walmart and get a decent protein supplement for around $14-15 for a 2lb jug. Like I said above, there are better protein supps out there, but there are worse ones as well.

Taste: 5/10
        I only used the Chocolate flavor, since I'm not much of a Vanilla guy. The flavor was not too good I hate to admit. It was lacking in comparison to other proteins powders I've tried. BUT, let me say this, it is bearable and gets easier with time. It is not the worst thing you could drink, and it is not to best. It has a kind of strong and bitter taste to it. I guess for the price I can't complain.

Mixing: 6/10
        Part of the reason the taste was sub-par was because the mixing was sup-par as well. No matter how vigorously or long I shaked my shaker cup, it still had some little chunky residue in it. Along with the taste, I guess I can't complain too much. I suppose I was spoiled from my favorite protein product!

I experience no side effects, and combined with exercise I think this protein is effective. If you are on a tight budget, and this is all you can get, don't feel bad, it is a good product that gets the job done. It's not the best, but it's not the worst either.
        • Tastes Pretty Bad
        • Gritty
        LilTank06
          December 11, 2011

Now I want to start off by saying, I am not comparing this to a major brand protein, because its an unfair contest.

Flavor(8/10)-Chocolate, I liked this stuff pretty well, using milk makes it taste much better.It does have a sweet, and kinda different taste but its protein and as far as protein goes its pretty good.

Effectiveness(7.5/10-Typically not my main protein but when I run out and need a quick hitter, this is where I go. Contains Creatine and helps with water retention and recovery.You dont really see any huge gains, or size difference but it is a good protein to go with in a pinch.

Value(9/10)- This stuff is $14-16 when you pick it up at walmart and contains 140 cals and 26grams of protein, sounds like a solid deal to me.

Overall(7/10)- Not a protein you keep around for months unless your cutting but stil need a good source of protein but this stuff is taste good and it is solid 2nd option.
        vk
          November 15, 2011

Every time I run out of the ON Whey protein and don't order it on time online (oops), I get this stuff to use while I am waiting for my ON. Then I ended up using the tub anyway.
        It's a good protein if you are on budget or need to get something from your local store. If you are buying your protein from general store (like wall-mart or target), go with this stuff.

I am going to start with the CONS:
        There are 2 big cons with this product and one small. First of all, its main ingredient is Whey Concentrate (and only second is Whey Isolates). Its basically like buying juice that says its "100%" natural and then you read the small print and it says – "From Concentrate". Same goes with the Whey Protein. You want the ISOLATES be the main (or ONLY) protein ingredient. Isolate is the purest form.

Second, I don't know what they were thinking putting creatine into this product. WTH? I want protein, not creatine. If you are on your creatine off-cycle, forget about this product. First, they don't tell you how much creatine is in it, so you can only guess (my guess would be 1-1.5 grams per serving). If you take 4 shakes a day, that 4-6 grams of creatine. So, if you are cycling off, you can't take this product.

Finally, the BCAA profile is little "low". If you use ON and have 3-4 shakes a day, you don't need to add any more BCAAs to you diet, that protein has enough. This one definitely doesn't.

Now for the PROS:
        Well, they are obvious, its cheap (you can get it for $13 on wal-mart.com and free shipping or $15-16 in your local store) but the funny part is, if you buy 10lbs bag of ON on Supplement Warehouse, then the serving price will be almost the same as this stuff, but you get a much better product.

It mixes well, tastes good. It is only 140 calories for 26g of protein (that's not bad at all), but most importantly you can go buy it from your local store and don't overpay twice for it. I compared all the proteins available in local department stores (wal-mart, target, grocery stores) and this was the best product in terms of value/price.

If you are on budget or you are out of protein and need it TODAY – this is your product.
        • Has Creatine