Premium Whey Protein

By: Body Fortress

Premium Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Body Fortress. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Does Premium Whey Protein work?
Frankiemusc
  August 5, 2011

This is the first time I tried a lower budget protein as part of my "lower budget supps" experiment during the last 3 weeks.

I came across few coupons for this particular brand and wanted to see the difference of using a lower budget protein for a week and a half.

Each scoop yields 26 grams of protein.

Used this as my wake up protein drink (1 scoop) and my post workout protein (1 1/2 scoops) with either skim milk or Gatorade.

Value-10

I purchased this for $12, with a $3 coupon at Walmart. Pretty cheap for 2 lbs of whey protein, but you get what you pay for in price.

Mixablity-6

I usually mixed this with either skim milk or Gatorade. You really need to give it a stir or a good shake for at least a minute. Unfortunately, it was still slightly gritty regardless, as a result of the cheaper ingredients.

Taste-7

Purchased the vanilla flavor and it was decent with skim milk or Gatorade. I have had worse tasting proteins in the past than this product. The taste was decent even with the slight grittiness.

Side Effects

There is creatine mono in this product, but it doesn't state how much. This may or may not have caused the below

I did experienced bloating as compared to none, with my staple protein Dymatize Elite Whey, in using the same liquids to mix it with.

Effectiveness 7

This was a decent protein nonetheless. I did not notice any decrease in muscle size or appearance in the 1 1/2 weeks of using it, or notice any difference in my workouts.

I was expecting to notice a difference in the above.

Only issue was bloating,that subsided after about 1 hour of ingesting the product.

Overall 7

If you are on a budget and looking for a decent protein, then possibly give this a try.
  • Decent Protein On A Budget
  • Bloating
  • Gritty

• bignastyrico
    August 5, 2011

Great review. im looking forward to other "budget" reviews
  • kroberts9
    August 5, 2011

Top review frank!! on a body fortress whey haha
  • Frankiemusc

@Rico thanks guy, I am using their Super Nos Blast pwo now

@Krob Thanks "bro"
  • kris65

Great review broski REP+
  • kevO
    August 5, 2011

My bad bro, fukn touchscreen phones. I hate technology.

Good review btw.
  • BrooklynBuff
    August 6, 2011

Good review,check out their Isolate its pretty good+
  • Frankiemusc
    August 6, 2011

@BrooklynBuff I intended to buy that initially, but they were sold out
  • BobbyG
    Rep: 0
    5 weeks ago

I just cannot see the benefits from this product. First of all even though it's budget you need to use three times as much as another powder to get the same benefit. Here's ther real problem EIGHTY THREE grams of sugar in their 1 serving is OUTRAGEOUS!! Very unhealthy and three times the recommended daily intake. Crazy!!

There comes a time in every iron pumping barrel chested hero's life when the money is scarce and he's left with the ultimate life decision, buy high quality protein or buy toilet paper. This is where body fortress comes in, the cheapest most overlooked brushed off protein in today's modern way too technical world of protein. I bought this because buying a higher quality product just didnt fit my budget and in all honesty I was fairly surprised. What prompted me to write this review? To help all you broke barrel chested iron fiends.

I used this while on a lean bulk doing a 3 day split taking every fourth day off. Majority of my workout consisted of compound movements with complimentary isolation exercises. Im not going to get into before and after as protein products are just that, protein. This isnt supermechadianabol where the effects are noticeable in a week sorry to dissapoint.

--------TASTE/MIXABILITY (8)
I got the vanilla and to be honest this shizzz really surprised me with taste. I actually enjoyed it after my workouts considering I was expecting to taste like the backside of a donkey. It mixed really well in a shaker cup just a few clumps here and there but it wasnt a big deal. I only used it in a shaker a few times the rest i blended this with almond milk, ice cubes, raw honey and cinnamon to get dem fast acting carbs son! All in all solid taste, no issues here.

---------PROFILE (7)
This is the part that really surprised me when i was standing in that aisle at wal-mart embarrassed of myself for being there. On the ingredients it lists concentrate as the first ingredient and isolate as the second. The BCAA profile was decent I've seen better on other proteins. This even has L-glutamine in it... SCORE! and creatine monohydrate... DOUBLE SCORE!
At 140 calories per scoop with 2 grams of fat, 7 grams of carbs, and 26 grams of protein i'd say not bad at all.

--------EFFECTIVENESS (7)
The protein helps you reach your macro's for the day if your slacking. I suck at judging the effectiveness of a protein because its not something that isn't noticeable for the most part. With the BCAA's and glutamine in it i'll admit i didnt always feel sore the following day. As for the creatine, i never noticed it since I was using my purple STUFF. You know? Kre-Alkalyn.

--------VALUE (9)
At 14 dollars for a 2lb tub i'll give you two chocolate chip cookies and a gold star if you can find anything cheaper.

--------OVERALL (7)
Overall im pleased with this protein I dont really have anything negative to say about it. Would I recommend this? "Yeahhhhhh you'll make allll kindzzz of gainzzzz! yeahhhhh" I think I'm going to be coming back to this protein even when I'm not broke. From time to time when I'm feeling like a baller I might get some higher quality protein isolate. But in all seriousness if you ever find yourself tight on cash don't be afraid to walk down to wal-mart and get you one of these bad boys to hold you over.

....hope this helped anyone interested.

Pros:
 Cons:
  • ...oh And Did I Say Cheap!?
  • Cheap
  • Food Stamp Protein
  • The Colt 45 Of Protein Shakes

• SUPERBEASTO
    November 12, 2012

This was my first protein powder years ago, this, mass gainer and super nos.

Even though it made me fart every 3 seconds, i got amazing gains! The straberry tastes delicious with milk.

Nice review man. Rep+
  • Eliospeaks89
    November 12, 2012

The farts i get every time i switch proteins for the first few days haha.
    I never stray too far from vanilla but i might just give that strawberry a try now
  • lcscbaseball
    November 12, 2012

Cookies n Cream is closer to vanilla and in my opinion the best tasting of this product. But when the product is this cheap and your can find it at Walmart, taste is hard to come by.

So being only 16, I dont have a lot of money and what money I do have I usually blow on expensive supplements. Well I saw this at walmart and decided to give it a chance. I usually take AMP wheyabolic 60 and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two other than price.

Effectiveness: Being a bmx racer I am not to worried about my weight gains but I will say that I have gained about 4 pounds on this a leaned out a lot. My favorite part is recovery, I train 6 days a week and need my recovery and this product delivers it!

Taste: I bought chocolate peanut butter...

Taste: I bought chocolate peanut butter and it tasted pretty good. It didn't really taste like peanut butter at all but I use water with mine so I don't know if that makes a difference. It kinda taste like coffee but it is still satisfying.

value: obviously the value is great, and if you go on line you can find 3, 2 pound tubs for around 40 bucks; that's 6 pounds of protein for the same price as a 2 pound of any name brand. And with the amount of bcaa and creatine you get, you cant beat it.

Mix-ability: I use a shaker cup 24/7 and it works just fine. Like i said before, I only use water. I have heard and read that if you use water it filters into your muscles faster. just a few flicks and your good to go.

Overall this a great product, especially if you are on a budget. I will for being keeping this in my stack.

• AS79
    December 13, 2011

Generally you can find a
    5lb tub of myfusion for around $40 online.
  • mckadetalbot
    December 13, 2011

True, but with an extra pound and practically the same results my choice is body fortress. I am sure myofusion is great though.

I have tried the chocolate flavor only. I have only tried one other type of protein mix. I have purchased Body Fortress 5 times (2lb jugs).
I have made solid gains. It tastes good.
I have made solid gains. It tastes good.
I did not have any problems until tonight. I bought a jug that seemed to have a little something extra to it. There appears to be little white powder mixed in. At first I thought it was excess salt because it has changed the taste a little bit, but it does not dissolve in water as salt would. I am a little worried because the product is NOT inspected by anyone, it is simply "carefully manufactured". I worked in a "careful manufacturing" environment once and I know that sometimes things happen and EXTERNAL checks/inspections are the only thing that catches problems. I am considering trying some other brands, but cost is pretty high and still none are inspected by an external entity (to my knowledge). I want to keep up the gains, but I have to wonder if ingesting this product and the strange, ground up, plastic-like substance in this particular jug is worth it....
IGNORE MY RATINGS. I do not feel that I can rate the product because I do not really have a basis of comparison. I can tell you that taking a couple scoops before and after I work out and occaisionally when I miss a meal has helped me achieve my goal of getting bigger. The effects that it has had on my overall health are still unknown to me. I am not sure if I will use it again. I probably will because I have trouble putting on weight without it.
  • Mostly Sugar
  • The Colt 45 Of Protein Shakes
  • Bloating
gbganab
  March 28, 2010

I was running short on ON extreme chocolate milk and I needed something quick. It was on special for 12 bucks and cookies and cream sounded great! It tasted really good...didn't notice any real difference between that and ON's optimum. I mix my shakes with just water and I thought it was quite good. I'm going to try another brand but I know in the back of my head that this is probably just as good as anything else out there!
  • Cookies N Cream!

I've been through all the flavors. My favorites are Chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookies and Cream. Chocolate is typical chocolate. Vanilla is ok but a bit "thin" tasting. Tastes better with milk though. (I usually mix my supplements with water). I find the Vanilla is best for recipe's. If you like a good tasting vanilla protein powder don't expect Syntha-6 flavor.. However, the other flavors are good. The new tubs are now 60grams of protein per scoop. Primarily it's Whey Concentrate, which is the lower end whey, but hence the price. For $15 for a 2lb tub you can't beat it. I'm not made of money so I can't always buy the more expensive isolate. I feel recovery is good on this product as I experience no more muscle soreness than when regularly taking other higher end priced whey protein. It mixes very well too which is a huge positive. I have several different styles of shaker bottles and it mixes well in all of them.

If you're strapped for cash don't feel ashamed of buying this. It's the same ingredient list as other higher priced products you find at GNC and other places... (regarding whey concentrate, isolate).

I also get no bloating or gas from these. I would recommend these to everybody. You can't beat it for price and quality... great value!

They have redone their products not that long ago... so some of the older reviews are really not applicable anymore.
  • Cookies N Cream!
  • Cheap
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter!

• PhatGame
    May 29, 2013

I've bought this at Wal-Mart a few times and it definitely does the job.

I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet. A lot of people are skeptical of Body Fortress' Whey because it is relatively cheap (when compared to others) and because you can purchase it at Walmart. I think this criticism is, for the most part, unfair.

Overall, this protein did what it was supposed to do. It helped build muscle, and provided me with a good post-workout recovery shake or an occasional breakfast shake when I needed it.

This protein worked relatively well. To be honest, I can't complain much. It works good, but as in every other aspect of life, there are products that are better. One of my favorite things about this protein is that it contains Creatine monohydrate in it, and my muscles usually thanked it for that!

The price is really where this product shines to me. If you are a college student (like me), or on a tight budget, then it is nice to be able to go to any Walmart and get a decent protein supplement for around $14-15 for a 2lb jug. Like I said above, there are better protein supps out there, but there are worse ones as well.

Taste: 5/10
I only used the Chocolate flavor, since I'm not much of a Vanilla guy. The flavor was not too good I hate to admit. It was lacking in comparison to other proteins powders I've tried. BUT, let me say this, it is bearable and gets easier with time. It is not the worst thing you could drink, and it is not to best. It has a kind of strong and bitter taste to it. I guess for the price I can't complain.

Mixing: 6/10
Part of the reason the taste was sub-par was because the mixing was sup-par as well. No matter how vigorously or long I shaked my shaker cup, it still had some little chunky residue in it. Along with the taste, I guess I can't complain too much. I suppose I was spoiled from my favorite protein product!

I experience no side effects, and combined with exercise I think this protein is effective. If you are on a tight budget, and this is all you can get, don't feel bad, it is a good product that gets the job done. It's not the best, but it's not the worst either.
  • Tastes Pretty Bad
  • Gritty
deputy95
  April 16, 2011

This is a good protein. Many people buy into the hype of the more expensive proteins. I have tried both and to be honest. I can't tell a difference. When I drank the more expensive proteins the sky's didn't open up and angels didn't sing. This is protein. I have not experienced any of the negatives of any of the others.....especially the bladder infection in the first hour of taking tha(hope you all don't believe that one...It is a good powered with an ok taste and mixes well.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Cheap
  • Decent Taste

This is one of the better proteins on the market. I know that is hard to believe but if the label is right and you do the math it's true. 26 grams of protein per serving with 130 calories perserve that makes it 80% of the calories come from protein.
(total grams of protein) 26
x (number of calories per gram of protein)4 = 104
(number of calories of protein divided by total calories)
104/130 = 80%.
Please chcek the chocolate flavor for values other flavors have 140 calories per serving.
This is the same standard as ON and above many other brands.
(total grams of protein) 26
x (number of calories per gram of protein)4 = 104
(number of calories of protein divided by total calories)
104/130 = 80%.
This is the same standard as ON and above many other brands.
  • Effective
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.