AfterGlow

By BioRhythm
AfterGlow BioRhythm
8.1/10
(Weighted average based on 41 Reviews)

Ranks #9 of 44 (better than 81%)
in Protein > Post-Workout Recovery Formulas
Dashboard Reviews Discussion Related Prices

Meuth

Best tasting post workout ever (at a price)!

Thank you BioRhythm for allowing me to use and review a container of After Glow. After Glow has been around for a long time and I have heard great things about its post workout recovery properties. After Glow is a post workout recovery drink that targets the "anabolic window" post workout. Here is my experience:

Taste 12/10 Bazooka Fruit

Yes, 12! This is the BEST tasting post workout I've ever tried. In fact, I've only tried one that was even playing on the same field in taste. Most of us will "man up" and take a bad tasting supplement if we see results with it and eventually get used to it. I actually looked forward to completing my workout just so I could mix this up and drink it. This flavor didn't really have one flavor that stood out (the front has strawberries, blue berries, black berries, raspberries, and then what I believe are oranges or mangos and limes). It's a great mixture of these that honestly, the Kool-Aid man needs to look into. No issues with mixing. Always nice and smooth with the right amount of H2O.

Profile 8/10

There sure is a lot of stuff in here! So let's talk about the stuff!

100% Unrefined Evaporated Cane Juice: It's here to replenish glycogen in a healthy organic form. Just like refined sugar, it will create an insulin spike that will aid in the muscles uptake of aminos, protein, and creatine for example. It is composed mostly of sucrose and has the same sweetening properties as refined sugar so your drink will taste better!

You can read the other reviews where the protein source is discussed. Personally for me, it's not my main source of protein for the day and it's supposed to be the most biological available. That means it should give you the quickest bang for your buck during the window. I'm good with that.

KreAlkalyn at 1g: So Kre is a debatable subject on if it is better than mono or not. I have personally had better experiences with Kre than mono so I do like it but to each his own. However, 1g is not enough. 3-5 is the recommended serving. I can only think that 1g is assuming you are not just getting creatine from this source? It does show up in a lot of pre workouts and even proteins today so maybe that is it?

That's all the profile I wanted to go into detail on. The label reads like this:
2 scoops
Phosphatidylserine cortisol suppressant 800mg
R-ALA anti-oxidant 100mg
Pomegranate powder anti oxidant 750mg
Grape seed extract anti-oxidant 3mg

I didn't put all the vitamins but there is a sufficient amount. This is a very solid profile. I'm a little disappointed in the Kre amount however. I say either put enough in there to make the 3-5g or take it out and save some cost.

Effectiveness 8/10

What can I say? It works. I could tell a difference in my recovery when on this for sure. It wasn't mind boggling recovery because I do take in a lot of macros a day so I usually have plenty of quality calories on hand to rebuild with. I did notice that on my deadlift and squat days that my legs and back seemed to be less sore when I got up in the morning. It took less stretching when I got out of bed to get them moving.

To be honest, I ran out of intra while I was using this too. I started making this after my major compound movement for the day and finished out my workout with it. I partially did this because it tastes so good but also because I could get a quick endurance boost out of it to finish out the isolation movements. This was my preferred way to use it instead of strictly afterwards.

I workout in the afternoons right now. Lava mentioned a crash but I never had that since I normally eat within 2 hours after my workouts anyway. I encourage you to read his review on his crash for your own information.

Value 6/10

This is really a hard one. If you take all the extras that are in this above and beyond protein and add that cost into your normal protein, it still makes this seem slightly expensive. I do use most of the things in here in some form but not all at the same time probably. It is very convenient to have them all in one powder but at $3.75/serving, it's a bit much. There are RTDs for this too but they even come in at $4-5 a serving.

Overall 7/10

I really struggled with this rating. In terms of effectiveness and taste, it's easily 8. The value takes a huge hit however and while I debated putting it at overall 6 because it's just too expensive for the casual gym rat, I felt 6.5 with a round up to 7 was more appropriate. This is a well put together product with an amazing taste. Would I suggest to try it? If it fits your budget and you want to use something besides a whey protein that is "milky" give it a shot! For the casual gym rat I'd try and find a single serving packet and give that a shot just to say you've tried it. Maybe it's good enough that you will splurge and spend the money, maybe you won't. The product is quality but you will pay for it. So, my maybe is based on your pocketbook basically.

I would love to see them try and reduce the cost of this some. I know that is hard to do without reducing the quality but I would use this on the regular if they could for sure!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Reduces Soreness
  • Great For Recovery
  • Lists Everything On The Label
  • Uses Real Sugar(not Artifical)
  • Builds Endurance

grldrgn

Posted February 3, 2014
Great review, I've never had another pre-workout that tastes as good as AG!

Recovery Like This Is Absolutely Worth It To Me

BioRythm's Afterglow is a product that has had my interest for a while now. I've seen it touted as the "˜Best Recovery Product Available', "˜Way over-priced', "˜Worth every penny', "˜Filled with cheap ingredients' and more. Opinions on this product seem to cover the entire spectrum from positive to negative. Excellent recovery is something I yearn for and Afterglow has had enough positive reviews on it where it was worth a shot.

Profile Overview

Some reviewers have already posted up the entire profile here but I encourage you to check it out for yourself at BioRythm's website. All their marketing info for Afterglow plus the nutrition label can be found here: http://biorhythm.us/categories/product-category/after-glow/#
The key ingredient standouts (per 2 scoop serving) for me are:
- Glutamine – 7.5g
- Cissus Quadrangularis – 1g
- Phosphatidylserine – 800mg

Other ingredients I found important with respect to recovery are:
- Unrefined Evaporated Cane Juice (simple carbs) ~26g
- Whey Protein Isolate ~20g

You'll note that those are "˜approximate' dosages because the label mentions 32g carbs with 26g as "˜unrefined' and the singular amino acids are contributing to the total protein content listed as 20g on the label.

The label recommends taking a two scoop (60g) serving 15-30 minutes post workout. Some days I would take it immediately after working out, others I'd take it anywhere from 10-45 minutes post workout. In any case, I personally didn't notice a measurable difference in affect.
As other reviewers have said this has got to be one of, if not THE best tasting supplements on the market. I could slam this down without hesitation but always drank it slowly or moderately rather than making myself feel sick with a huge influx of ingredients. I have now tried every flavor and have no complaints. My favorite is Bazooka Fruit closely followed by Watermelon. If nothing else, get your hands on a single serving sample to try and see what you think – Delicious!
It foams a lot when shaken and I always had about an inch or more of foam at the bottom of my cup when I was done with it. I'd run some more water into the cup and drink that down to insure I'm getting every last microgram of ingredient ;)

Afterglow flat out works for me. It helps to speed up my recovery, reduce DOMS and make the entire process of lifting, eating, sleeping, recovering, etc better. Now please bear in mind that this may be a component of age as well. As I've gotten older, effective recovery has become more elusive. All of you younger folks may recall these words 15-20yrs down the road when it catches up with you too. It's just a consequence of aging however, for now, and hopefully into the future we have a product like Afterglow that can help tip the scales back in our favor.
Beyond reduced DOMS and improved recovery time there are a couple more aspects of Afterglow that are worth mentioning. The 800mg dose of Phosphatidylserine (PS) is big – and effective by any measure I can attest to. PS is an ingredient that helps combat/reduce cortisol and when taken post-workout, should in effect immediately get to work on bringing those levels down. Interestingly, this apparently also has a suppressive effect on appetite. I kid you not, after drinking a single serving of Afterglow post-workout, it KILLS my appetite. After drinking it, I could go for several hours without eating. Since I didn't really want to do this during some of my usage of this product, I found that drinking Afterglow while eating a meal (typically dinner for me as I workout after I get home from work and before dinner) would allow me to get in some solid food as well. On the flipside of that, if you're cutting and restricting calories I can't think of a much better way to do so since you're getting (in my opinion) some high quality ingredients from this product. PS is expensive. No two ways about it. I've tried to find PS on it's own to see if I could take an 800-1,000mg dose post workout and compare to Afterglow but I seriously could not find it cheap enough to do so. BioRythm must buy a literal ton of it to get their costs down cheap enough. With the best deals I could find online, it would still cost me right around $70 for 32 ~800mg doses of PS alone. For that money, I would rather stick with Afterglow.
Finally there's the overall sense of "˜feeling better' I get when integrating Afterglow into my regimen. The compounded effect of the quality ingredients, improved recovery, less DOMS, etc really does have (as corny as it may sound) a positively life-altering benefit to it.

Afterglow is not cheap but can be found for what I consider a reasonable price. For my money however, it is worth it – every penny. I have a local retailer where I can go in and get this off the shelf for ~$70 for a 4.23lb container. That's 32 servings after 32 individual workouts. I only consumed this after lifting sessions (not after cardio) and, on average, that's 4 times per week for me. A 4lb container is approximately 8wks worth based on my schedule. Yes, it's over $2 per serving however, the net benefit affects that I experience with this, compounded over time, make it absolutely worthwhile. At the price I'm able to get Afterglow for it will remain a staple in my regimen.

Afterglow is the best, most effective recovery product I've used. Why doesn't it have a 9 or 10 rating? I'm cheap and would love to get this even more reasonably priced if possible. Also, there's the potential for an ingredient tweak here and there as time goes on and more effective ingredients are introduced that could make Afterglow even better.
I highly recommend you give this a shot and you can do so affordably. For example, years ago I got a free single serving sample with an order from somewhere and it sat on my shelf for months. I finally gave it a go and thought it was a complete placebo effect because I felt so good after taking that single serving. Since then I have now gone through pounds of this product with stunningly consistent results. You could spring for the 2.1lb container that has 16 servings in it as a reasonably priced way to try Afterglow. It's really not much more than what you'd pay for a quality protein product but it should last just as long or longer when used exclusively post workout. And, the benefits you get from it (in my opinion) will be better than what you'd get from that protein alone.

Thank you to the folks at BioRythm for allowing the Expert Reviewer Team to trial and review this product for them. I hope this helps you gain a better perspective of this product and assists in your decision to purchase.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Effectively Dosed Ingredients
  • Tastes Great
  • Reduces Soreness
  • Great For Recovery
  • Very Foamy

Dat Der Ion Exchange! :)

Posted March 21, 2014
Good review. I just started taking this and so far really liking it a lot. This is my first time ever trying this. Looking forward to seeing what this product will do for me as seeing all the good reviews on this.

Posted March 21, 2014
Awesome review, I've tried the bazooka fruit and the taste is insane. Like liquid crack.. It's just so dang expensive. I get the same results from dark matter at half the price

Posted March 21, 2014
BB - I have yet to try Dark Matter but it's on the list of things to run. I'd like to try and get a good deal on both Dark Matter and Aftershock to see how they compare.
Like you said though, the taste and results from Afterglow are great and have me hooked!

Posted March 21, 2014
It just went off Wednesday, but GNC.com was 45% off BEFORE the goldcard. They had watermelon, bazooka fruit, and cherry bomb, 4lb tubs for $45!

Posted March 21, 2014
Wow bro, that's an awesome deal^^^^

Posted March 22, 2014
@sdunlimited great review! I've been taking this for about a month now, using both orange push up and bazooka fruit. Both are amazing for recovery and have great taste. I'm also interested in trying aftershock, wonder how they compare.

ron

Posted March 23, 2014
Excellent review my friend!!!!

lava135

Impressive but cost/benefit doesn't favor the novice

Afterglow is a product that I've had on my radar for a long time but until recently I didn't think that it would fit into my personal training methods. Over the past few months I have gradually changed how I approach training nutrition (specifically post workout carbs) and as a result was happy to give this a try when it became available to the ER team. Many thanks to the guys at BioRhythm!

Profile: 8/10
In my opinion, the primary factor of whether or not Afterglow is for you is how you view post workout carb intake. If you only use protein post workout, or prefer complex carbs, then this is not a product for you as there is no way around the fact that a standard 2 scoop serving contains 32g of carbs, 26g of them from simple sugars. You could use a single scoop and add additional protein, but for the purpose of this review, I stuck with the recommended 2 scoop serving.

Others have done a fine job detailing the ingredients but for me the short version is that it's a solid profile for what it desires to achieve. You get the simple carbs (can juice and glucose polymers) to spike insulin and then protein and aminos to help rebuild. Phosphatidylserine is included for cortisol control and R-ALA for energy support, antioxidant properties and glucose metabolism. Other antioxidants and aminos are also included for the sole purpose of helping the body rebuild and replenish after training using free form aminos and protein. Creatine is also included in the form of KreAlk.

Others have given this a lower mark due to the inclusion of ion exchange whey. I personally do not have quite the issue with that in this specific product since the ion exchange process is designed to strip as much fats and carbs from the protein as possible and generally results in whey with the highest amounts of aminos (although at the cost of other beneficial properties). Would I want to use ion exchange as my sole source of protein – no. However, its inclusion in this doesn't really bother me since the entire product is formulated to deliver aminos as fast as possible – thus limiting fats and carbs from the whey is significant. Perhaps something like PeptoPro would be a better choice but that would make an expensive product even more expensive so at the end of the day, I really don't take issue with it. But again, it's a different mindset then what we normally look for in whey supplements.

Taste & Mixing: 10/10
I had the bubblegum flavor and it's fantastic. I have become a huge fan of these post workout proteins that mix in water and have a very "Gatorade" taste, texture and appearance as opposed to the heavier "milk-like" texture and consistency that most whey products have. This mixed up clean and clear with minimal grit. Foaming was what is to be expected and quickly settled. It was quite easy to either sip or chug.

Afterglow is touted as a superior recovery product and I will say that I do not consider any single product the key to better recovery, nor have I ever received noticeably improved recovery benefits using a single product (including BioGro). For me, the entire nutrient intake during the day is far more important. That being said, my recovery actually fell off a bit with this, although muscle growth and strength improved. I attribute that to the fact that Afterglow tends to be a superior supplement for training progression and/or muscle growth. And if you look at what most of us are trying to achieve through training that would make sense. As a result I was seeing slightly improved muscle mass and hardness beyond what I see when I just take a typical whey supplement post workout. I also experimented with taking this about half way through my training and it delivered a superior pump and fullness; again, no real surprise there due to the carbs.

For me, the greatest drawback to using Afterglow was that I really had to pay attention to my food intake in the few hours afterwards or I would suffer a crash or fatigue; however, once I started eating breakfast an hour or so afterwards, things improved. This is very similar to the methods used by John Meadows and after doing a little homework, I was able to work the kinks out of how I used this and started to see some positive progress.

Ok, Im going to get blasted for this, but I do not see Afterglow as a terribly poor value if you are a person who trains using the approach/methods I touched upon earlier. If you are a person who normally takes two scoops of whey and calls it a day then Afterglow is a terrible value. A tub of Afterglow is going to set you back $60- $70 dollars for 16 servings. That's in the $4.00 per serving range and that's a pretty rich neighborhood. Too rich for my blood, but not because of what you get, but because I simply don't train in a manner that makes it worth it for me personally. For me, the real cost/benefit comparison comes not in comparing Afterglow to a whey isolate but comparing it to something like 360Post or SSP Nutrition, two products that I've rated highly in the past and use a carb-centric approach to post workout nutrition. And even that comparison falls short since really this is a product that one would consider in comparison with say, BioTest Plazma. But at the end of the day I simply can't leverage a product like Afterglow for additional performance gains in the gym. So for me personally, value is lower.

There are many things that I really liked about Afterglow, and those positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion. But the main consideration for using a product like this is really your own individual training style and needs. This is top tier or luxury product in my opinon and not to be confused, nor compared, with a standard whey or whey/carb blend. And that's not necessarily a bad thing - Omega Sports Strive is such a product but I was able to integrate that into my training in a beneficial manner; I simply can't do that with this.

For the average recreational lifter, this is a tough sale at its current price point. I was glad to get the chance to try it and for people at a higher level of training intensity or people who use Mountain Dog or CBL methods, you may well want to give this a try.

irondude

Posted January 2, 2014
sooooo pricey, I'll stick with my gummy bears and protein shake!!!

lava135

Posted January 2, 2014
No doubt, but I look at all the goofy stacks that people waste money on and what those cost so I'd rather spend $70 on this than $150 on some natty test stack

Posted January 4, 2014
Lava - can you provide a few more details on the post workout/post Afterglow food choices you made to prevent the crash you were getting?
Curious as to what worked and what didn't.

I'm finding that my appetite gets quite suppressed post workout after drinking this.

Blade410

The watermelon flavor is great

Finally got my hands on some AfterGlow (roughly 15 servings). Friend of mine was cycling off creatine and sold it to me for much below market price.

I have run all sorts of recovery...

I have run all sorts of recovery drinks. (Aftershock, Torrent, 2:1:1). Currently I prefer Aftershock, but wanted to give this a fair shake.

How I ran it: I was skeptical on the ingredients due to only 20g of WPI and 36g of carbs. Ran this along side Gluta-lyn and the standard Kre-Alkalyn cycle. Also supplemented 10g of additional hydrowhey about 30 minutes after AfterGlow.

Effectiveness 10+: Recovery was amazing. Love the 2:1 ratio. Better than aftershock and 2:1:1. Can't think of a better product. Most notably on Leg split. Soreness is reduced. I think it can be attributed to the 2:1 ratio and a new ingredient that I wasn't too familiar with (phosphatidylserine 800mg). This ingredient is very expensive and reduces cortisol making it anti-catabolic. This had to be the item that makes this product work better than the other recovery drinks.

Taste 10+: All I can say is wow. The watermelon flavor is great. I thought tropical typhoon of Aftershock tastes great, well AfterGlow makes that taste like motor oil.

Value/Price 6: This is the huge and only downfall. Even with the great effectiveness, it can not be justified with the high price tag. Even with the phosphatidylserine in it (which adds about $30 per tub). I hope BioRhythm has the smarts to drop the price to more reasonable.

Conclusion 8.5: Overall I was really impressed with the results, however the price is a huge hurdle and one that can't be overlooked. My recommendation, if money is no object, check this out. Even if you don't use it as part of your standard cycle. Otherwise, Aftershock is a good alternative that provide close results.

Pros:
Cons:
  • 2:1 Ratio

Posted June 20, 2010
Great review man! Can't wait to get my hands on some of this some day...

Posted June 20, 2010
You're like the only person I know that's taken this. Good review, broski.

Manimal

Posted June 20, 2010
Damn Fine review from mah man blade, as always!

Posted June 20, 2010
I am not sure how much you paid for this, but performance nutrition has the best price I have found. I don't think they can sell it online, but you can call them and order it. I am on my 6th tub. Not sure why I haven't reviewed it yet.

thx for the review. 2 questions;
1.) i take con-cret & was wondering if i can still take it pre-w.o. w the 1000g of kre-ak in afterglow?
2.) does adding a scoop of extra protein to this or take separate like u did have different effects?

1.) Yes, you can pre workout is fine to take con-cret
2)Yes you can add an extra scoop of protein. I wouldn't go over 40 total.
3.) This stuff is insanely expensive dude, I would recommend being in 2:1:1

Posted June 21, 2010
thanks Blade, appreciate the response!

Posted June 21, 2010
At my local GNC this thing is like $90+ dollars... F THAT!

AdamG

Posted June 21, 2010
I get the 4.26 lb tub for $85 shipped to my house. Email me at beta1n@yahoo.com for the contact info.

WarMachine

I would definitely recommend giving afterglow a try

What's that SR?...You want some more reviewing goodness from the machine? Well here you go!!!!!

What's up SR brethren, today I will be reviewing another one of my Boots to Asses 2 log supplements which I had used with great results. That product is Biorhythm's Afterglow. As a beginning overview, Afterglow is a specially formulated post-workout supplement designed to help encourage post-workout induced hypertrophy by replenishing muscular glycogen, feeding fatigued muscles with efficient whey isolate protein and BCAAs, reducing catabolic cortisol levels, and scavenging muscle wasting free radicals. My only other experience with a product of similar purpose of afterglow is myogenix's aftershock. I enjoyed aftershock very much in terms of the improved recovery and some of the strength benefits I received from its usage. However, after using afterglow, I am going to say it takes the cake for being the better of the two. Make no mistake though, afterglow does have one major con that would discourage its purchase over aftershock, THE FRIGGIN TRIPLE DIGIT PRICE!!!! For those of you who kept with my log know that I actually was lucky enough to get two full 4.23 lbs tubs from a gym buddy of mine as a thank for helping his son in high school football training. Nonetheless, the value must be taken into context.

Taste/Mixability (10++): I give this beyond ten because it was truly one of the best tasting supplements I have ever had. I used the bazooka fruit and watermelon and they both effing delicious. Hard to tell which one was better. I do enjoy fruit in general so I think it depends on how fond you are of watermelon LOL Afterglow also comes in cherry bomb, but unfortunately I never got to try that. Overall, big time points for taste. The mixability was also very good. I never had any problems with undissolved contents or clumps.

Usage (10): Very simple; I would combine two scoops with 12 oz of water and enjoy right after my workout. On non-training days, I took a serving split into morning and afternoon. Essentially, one scoop in the morning and one scoop sometime in the mid-afternoon.

Ingredient Profile: (10): A very solid profile for post-workout recovery support if I do say so myself;

1 Single Serving Bottle Watermelon

Phosphatidylserine 800mg **
Pomegranate Powder 750mg **
R-ALA 100mg **
Grape Seed Extract 3mg

20 grams of whey Isolate, plenty of glutamine, a decent dose of bcaas, kre-alkalyne creatine, and anti-oxidants all ensure that the anabolism window undergoes and effective ignition into superb recovery. A couple of things to note are the addition of Phosphatidylserine and Cissus Quandrangularis.

Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid compound that has been shown to reduce cortisol and improve memory and cognition. The effective does for this ingredient is roughly 400mg or higher. With twice that dosage in afterglow, it's very clear that the cortisol inhibition claims of afterglow are imminent. However it is also one of the reasons why afterglow is so expensive because phospatidylserine stand alone as a supplement tends to be quite expensive itself.

Cissus Quandrangularis is best known for its anti-inflammatory benefits on joints and possesses anti-cortisol effects of its own. In addition, the ketosteroid extracts from this plant are said to have anabolic properties, but that I don't believe has been demonstrated. A good addition nonetheless for other reasons.

Effectiveness (10): For the benefits I experienced with Afterglow, a score of 10 is very worthy of this product. As early as the first couple of days of usage, I experienced a dramatic improvement in my post-workout recovery to the point where fatigue was nearly non-existent. Of course, when combined with Dymatize elite whey, mass hgh, AD-3 PCT, and plenty of sleep, recovery was near 100% each time I would wake-up the next day to hit the gym on my next training session. My overall body felt more refreshed an rejuvenated as well critically less fatigued. There were times where I would feel like I barely hit the gym even on those days where I would unintentionally over-train due to the energy from versa-1, oxyeca, and micro. I also noticed less joint stiffness which I can definitely equate to the cissus. Furthermore, there was also a feeling of better general health that I experienced from afterglow, most likely from the anti-oxidants. Of course, this is not to say that I ever felt unhealthy without it and I do get plenty of vitamins and minerals from my diet. However, there was simply a better and healthier bodily feel with afterglow. (Too bad I couldn't say that when I had my food poisoning a little while back LOLOLOL) Lastly, I did notice that the improved recovery did help me push harder in my following training sessions and there were times where extra sets and heavier giant sets were possible. Overall, afterglow definitely delivered in the recovery department.

Value (4): Now here is where afterglow will show its thorns (more like pit spikes LOL). Afterglow comes in two size: 2.12 and 4.23 lbs tubs. The 2 lbs tub has about 16 servings, while the 4 lbs tub as 32 servings. The price for a 2 lbs tub is about 70 dollars for 16 servings. That would equate to a value ratio of about 4.35 a serving. A 4 lbs will splurge your bank account of 125 dollars on average based on the prices I've seen. That is about 3.95 a serving. In either case despite the effectiveness of afterglow, this is simply outrageous. I personally thing it would be more cost effective to perhaps concoct your own post workout formula with miscellaneous proteins, bcaa, carbs, and whatever else you'd like to add. Even though I was gifted my tubs of afterglow, I can honestly say that I would only purchase afterglow if it were on a VERY reasonable sale. I would say for the effectiveness of afterglow I would pay no more than 80 dollars for a 4 lbs tub. Anyone who plans on using afterglow will absolutely need to make sure you've got some money to spare. Do not break the bank for one supplement.

Overall (8): When combined with my intensive training and frequent diet, afterglow made a remarkable difference in my overall bodily recovery and integrity. Along with all of my other supplements, afterglow allowed me to recover much more efficiently, allowing to push continuously harder in the gym with extra drive and integrity. I am mostly thankful that I got these tubs as a gift because the price of this product is a major downfall that would most likely make users think twice before trying it. As a final thought, if you've got the money, I would definitely recommend giving afterglow a try. Of course, don't forget diet and training.

TRAIN HARD BROSKIS!!!!

Pros:
Cons:
  • Better Feeling Of General Health
  • Enhances Strength
  • Builds Endurance
  • Uses Real Sugar(not Artifical)
  • Lists Everything On The Label
  • Great For Recovery
  • A Bit Foamy At Times

ron

Posted March 26, 2013
Great review as usual. Out of curiosity, were you on versa at the same time as glow and if so, how far into your versa run were you when you noticed this recovery? I ask because some of the benefits you describe above, i felt while on versa by itself.

Posted March 26, 2013
@Ron: thanks for the compliment Ron man, to answer your question I was running versa-1 at the same as afterglow. I recall when I ran versa-1 in my standalone beta test log, I did get the same benefits but not to as great an extent in comparison to when I combined it with afterglow and everything else in this log.

I would conclude that afterglow greatly complimented versa-1's recovery benefits because everything in relation to my recovery was drastically improved. Safe to say both supplements compliment each other quite well.

In response to your experience, if you were to add a post workout formulation, I am confident the benefits you exhibited from versa-1 would be amplified.

petey7408

Posted March 26, 2013
I like the review, but please refrain from statements like 'the reviewing machine'. It makes me want to ....stab things.

Clipper83

So hyped up, just not worth it

A big shout out to BioRhythm for hooking me up with the famous recovery product AfterGlow. I've used several sample bottles of this in the past, and always loved the way it tasted. I kind of like the idea behind this product, but after doing some research and going through a tub, I now have a different view on this.

Profile:

Pros-
There are some nice things in this, I love the amount of potassium in here. 1.37 grams is a very good amount. A gram of taurine, some Cissus(I personally don't respond to it, but many do so I see it as a pro) are good. Grape Seed Extract is good for blood pressure and is a good antioxidant. 7.5grams of glutamine is nice, however, I still find glutamine unnecessary, as I have never gotten much benefit from it... others will disagree. The use of real sugar is nice too.

The use of R-ALA is awesome, as opposed to the cheap ALA. The R is a biologically active component of ALA and is required for absorption. Having this in a post workout is nice in theory, because it enhances glucose uptake.

Cons-
Alright, there are a good amount of pros here, but there is a BIG con here. I am very much against the use of Ion-Exchange whey. If you don't know what it is, it's basically whey that has been so denatured, which can actually hinder some benefits of whey. This process kills some essential amino acids and hinders the use of certain vitamins and minerals.(Thank you Petey for giving me plenty of lectures on this over XBL)

I wish BioRhythm would me more open about what forms of vitamins and minerals are used in this. It would be good to know whether or not the minerals are carbonate or citrate form, or whether the B12 is methylcobalamin or cyanocobalamin.

Not too fond of Kre-Alkalyn, not because is doesn't work, more because it's underdosed and probably makes this product more expensive.

Taste/Mix:(9.4/10)

This stuff tastes awesome. I enjoyed the watermelon flavor a lot. It tastes like a certain candy I've had before, but I can't remember which one. I'm thinking Airheads, but I'm still not sure if that's it. It smells great too! I loved smelling the tub every time I opened it lol.

It mixes fairly well too, sometimes though I would notice clumps at the bottom of my cup once I was done, even though I always shook it rather well.

Effectiveness:(4/10)

Despite me liking the idea of this product, it just did not work as I had hoped. I expected less DOMS, but that just did not happen. I was getting as sore as ever when I took this. I did some light rear delt work 3 days ago, and my whole upper back is still sore! All I can really give it credit for are the good sources(some) of ingredients. It was also good at keeping my appetite suppressed post-workout.

I also wanted to see how this worked for immunity, due to the glutamine and other ingredients in there.... Here I am, writing this review with a cold... enough said.

Value:(3/10)

Yeah, this stuff is expensive. I know AfterGlow has some nice ingredients in there, but for 16 servings and the lack of results, I see no reason to ever buy this. Not worth the $60+ you spend on it at all. (The price was taken off of bb.com)

Overall:(3.5/10)

I cannot recommend this. I'd rather you buy some good whey, and if you are into fast-digesting carbs post workout, buy some Gatorade powder or straight dextrose. If you like some of the ingredients, like I do, get them by themselves(the PS and R-ALA in this case), but I would highly advise against spending your money on any Ion-Exchange whey product.

Pros:
Cons:
  • R-ala
  • Tastes Great
  • Uses Real Sugar(not Artifical)
  • Ion-exchange Whey

Posted January 2, 2014
Wes Welker uses this so it explains why the pats had to release him..lmfao!!

Sweet review as always Clipper!!

Posted January 6, 2014
Thank you to all the Expert Reviewers and replies to their detailed accounts. Biorhythm and AfterGlow has developed a strong grass roots following over the years and we appreciate all honest feedback. Your comments are great tools for improvement of our brand.

Occasionally we like to chime in to add to the discussion. Reviewer Clipper83 called attention to the Ion Exchange Whey Protein Isolate in AfterGlow. While it is true the ion exchange process will damage some naturally present anti-bodies and digestive aids in the raw protein, there are specific benefits to this process. The first benefit is less fat. The studies on recovery indicate fat can slow the nitrogen uptake in the post workout environment. Our goal was to have virtually zero grams of fat. In fact, there is less than 0.25g of fat per serving. The second benefit of ion exchange filtering process yields a very low lactose level. Both fat and lactose are not the best thing to have in your stomach after 60 minutes of intense training. To address the slight reduction of anti-bodies, digestive aids and some amino acids, we re-fortified AfterGlow with powerful anti-oxidants (by the way anti-oxidants are highly recommended if you use a nitric oxide booster), BCAA’s and glutamine. The use of WPI nearly guarantees fast absorption even if an ion exchange filtering process is used. Add in AfterGlow’s vitamin and mineral fortification and the “cons” of the filtering method have all been addressed thoroughly.

Every aspect of recovery needs are addressed in AfterGlow; protein, carbs, vitamins, amino acids, anti-oxidants and even cortisol suppressants. Because of this (and despite the price), the overall user experience has been extremely favorable. However, no one supplement works for everybody. Additionally, no one supplement is the end all be all answer to your fitness goals. The user must still understand their body type. The appropriate diet and exercise program has always been and will always be the most important component to achieving your fitness goals. So yes, you can take AfterGlow and still experience DOMS. You can take AfterGlow and still be susceptible to catching a cold. But that is just common sense though, right?

Visit our new website (www.biorhythm.us) and feel free to ask us nutrition questions. We employ a Registered Dietitian who will use his education and 10+ years of clinical and sports nutrition experience to customize a meal plan based on your lifestyle and experience…all free of charge of course.

Thanks again for all of your support and input!
Mark Mangieri
Founder and CEO, ES Inc. & Biorhythm

Plain and Simple, If It's the right price, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I'mma let you finish.. But BioRythym AfterGlow is one of the best supplements of all time!

Anyways....

Profile: 10/10

Anyways....

Profile: 10/10

No fat, 32g of carbs, 20g WPI, 10g of BCAA's and Glutamine, 1g of Kre-Alkylyn, 1g of Cissus Quadrangularis, 800mg of Phosphatidylserine, and more. Need I say more?

Taste:

Watermelon: 10/10

Hands down the best flavor of this product. It tastes perfect. Literally. Probably one of the best tasting products I've ever had, and multiple reviews will agree with me on this.

Orange Pushup: 8/10

A little weird, honestly. At first, I thought it was terrible. After a week or so of drinking this, It grew on me pretty fast and ended up enjoying it for the most part. It does not however, taste anything like the Flinestones Pushup pops :(

Bazooka Fruit: 9.5/10

Second best flavor of this product. It's a perfect blend of a bubblegum taste/fruit. Hence the name. Absolutely fantastic.

Wow. That's all I can really say about this product. The recovery was great. Really. Leg day DOMS was a non-factor surprisingly. I had 0 soreness 90% of the time post workout. Which is very un-common. I tried multiple styles of training after going through 4 tubs of this. DTP, 3 days on, 1 day off splits. The body part trained that day was rarely ever sore the next day.

My strength also increased with this product quite a bit. I noticed the better recovery I had, the more energy I could put out the following workout. I almost felt as if i could train the same body part 2 days in a row and feel near 100% doing it. Really unbelievable stuff.

Every great product has a somewhat downfall. With the cost of this product being around the $3 range per serving. This product is very very expensive. I really recommend trying to snag this on a BOGO half off deal @ GNC. Also, some Max Muscle's have this on sale as well.

Solid 9 here deserved for AfterGlow. I can't complain too much. This stuff did everything it said it would and more! It even depleted my bank account ;).

Till next time bro's

DanTheManski

• Small And Pricy

bigmc

Very complete post workout, but is it worth the price?

Ok the popular post workout After Glow, what can I say? It really does have everything you should be looking for in a post work.

Profile-9/10

Profile-9/10
20g of cold processed WPI also providing high glycemic carbs, pH buffered creatine, and anti oxidants. I would like to see a little bit more protein in here as well as a creatine HCl, I've personally have seen better results with this form. Other than that this is a very nice profile for a post workout. (sorry I couldn't post the exact profile but it seems biorhythm reformulated after glow)

Effectiveness-10/10
I would use this post workout and even after the most intense leg days I would feel amazing. This stuff is the real deal and will really help you speed up recovery, increase strength, and help you build lean muscle mass.

Taste-10/10
Normally I do not like to comment on taste because honestly unless it is undrinkable as long as it works I will take it. With that being said as an added bonus this stuff tastes amazing. Literally the best tasting post workout shake I've ever had.

Price-5/10
Ok now for the huge downfall to this product, the price. I got this for $85 at a franchise GNC around my house. The only problem is I'm a bigger guy and the tub says I should be downing 3 scoops of this compared to the normal 2 scoops. So for me instead of getting 32 servings, which is still pricey, I only got about 21. Either way this product is super pricey.

Overall-7/10
Honestly this product was amazing,I can't really speak to the new formula out there now but it does appear to be inferior judging by the profile, but the price was outrageous. It would be cheaper to just buy a good WPI, dextrose and a creatine product yourself.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Great For Recovery

workoutguru

OH WOW what can I say this stuff really had me Glowing.

A couples months ago I was contacted by one of the members on this site MuscleCow and he told me he had won this on a contest BioRhythm did back in Dec but could not receive it because they would not ship to Canada where he lives he told me. He asked me if I would be interested in it and said they would ship it to me if I wanted it and I told him yes I would like to try it. I want to give a big shout out and thanks to MuscleCow for letting me try this amazing product. I had heard about this product awhile back but never really knew much about it and what it was until now.

Ingredients:
Phosphatidylserine 800mg
Pomegranate Powder 750mg
R-ALA 100mg
Grape Seed Extract 3mg

To see the rest of the ingredient profile click on the link below and then click on the little tab supplement facts.

The ingredient profile for this I thought was very good. This has so many good things in here. I like that they do not use prop blends in this and let you know how much of everything they use. This has a lot of really top quality ingredients in it. There might be a couple things I would maybe add a little more of or change but other than that it looks really good.

I really dislike artificial sugars and glad they used real sugar instead. I know some people do you not like the ION exchange whey in this but I was fine with that. I would not use it as my main source of protein intake. Since most of the ingredient profile has been covered pretty good by others on here I am not going to say to much more about it except for I really liked it.

Value:
I never knew how expensive this product really was until I started looking for it online. This is a huge down side for me. Why does a product like this have to be so pricey. I know of other post workout products that are pretty good but don't have such a high price tag like this does. Right now the cheapest I can find the 16 serving container for is $67 and the 32 serving $95 and that's on naturalbodyinc.com This is hard to find because most sites do not carry this and wish more sites did. I just feel that this price tag is just way to high for me even though the product I thought was really good. I wish they could make this a little better so you don't need two scoops to get everything out of it. I feel they could drop the price of this a bit. I guess if your going to spend this amount of money I would rather spend it on this product than some of the natty test stacks a lot of people waste their money on. I feel this would be a much better item to spend your money on.

Taste/Dosing/Mixing
I was sent the bazooka fruit. I kept hearing how great this stuff was suppose to taste and could not wait to try it. I thought this tasted pretty good. It reminded me of sherbert ice cream smoothie. I was also sent 4 bottles of this two in bazooka fruit and 2 watermelon. I thought the watermelon was a little better tasting. There are still two more flavors I would like to try cherry bomb and orange push up.

Dosing/Mixing.
It says on the label if your 140lbs or less take 1 scoop. Your between 140 and 239 take 2 scoops and if your over 240lbs take 2.5 scoops. I only did one scoop each time even though I should have been doing 2 scoops. My body weight at the time of using this was between 200 and 205. One scoop seemed to work just fine for me and it helped make it last a bit longer.

Mixing:
Had no issues with mixing this. It does get a bit foamy when mixed but nothing to bad. I did notice just a little bit of sediments on the side of my shaker cup when finished drinking this but it was nothing I was worried about at all.

This was my first time ever using a post-workout product. I have never really been big on using them and normally just take protein right away after my workouts instead. I had heard about this product but never really knew much about it until now. WOW this product was amazing. This gave me some of the best recovery I have ever gotten and I workout 2 plus hours a day 6 days a week and need good recovery. Only a few days after I started using this I could all ready start to feel my recovery was better.

I usually get a lot of soreness in my upper back, shoulders, and neck/tap area and this really took a lot of that pain and soreness away. My DOMS were way better and a lot less sore. Even my joints felt a lot better and believe that was due to the cissus quadrangularis they put in this. I would like to see the dosage of this upped a little more. I like the kre-alkayln they use in this for creatine. I feel the amount of creatine should either be upped a bit to be a little more effective.

I felt like I gained a lot more muscle mass while on this. My muscle felt and looked more full and harder which I liked. I feel this will helped me build more muscle and some strength if your diet is right on with this product. I felt like I gained a lot more from this than what I normally get from straight protein. I noticed a big increase in my endurance and recovery which is always nice to have. I would say this product is a little better to take if your on more of a bulk because of the high amounts of carbs and few other things. If your going to take something like this if your trying to cut a bit then you will really need to watch your diet a bit more.

My over all body just felt more healthy while taking this. I never felt unhealthy before I started this but I do believe the extra vitamins and minerals I got from this really helped a lot. My overall immune system I thought was really improved since I noticed no real issue with it. This was a big plus for me to feel better and healthier overall.

Side Effects.
Had no real issues with any side effects. Maybe just a little bit of bloating from this because of to much so some of the ingredients along with to much food intake.

Overall:
This product really impressed me a lot. After taking this it has really gained my interest a lot more now in post workout products. This is something I would really like to use a lot more often instead of just protein but at the hefty price tag it will be really hard to keep using again. Unless I can get a really good deal on this I won't be using it for awhile even though it really works good. If you have never tried this product before I would high recommend giving it a try. Like I said before this gave me some of the best recovery I have ever had and for what it does makes this a product I would like to keep taking.

Pros:
Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Enhances Strength
  • Hard To Find For Me. Cant Usually Shop Online
  • Very Foamy
  • Pricey

Posted April 29, 2014
A big side effect to this is a hefty cut into your wallet!!!

Posted April 29, 2014
Yes I totally agree with you Gkeezy on price. I can't believe they can even sell this at the prices they want for this and for such few servings.

Posted April 29, 2014
Awesome review @workoutguru. If you were to take each ingredient in AfterGlow and buy them separately, you would be carrying around 10 containers and would end up paying 3x's as much! Just wanted to speak on the value aspect. Thanks for the review, glad you enjoy it!

GTpro900

Posted April 30, 2014
This product contains expensive ingredients and isn't designed for those on a budget. I think it's unfair to expect this ingredient profile to be sold at a much lower price, especially with ingredients like phosphatidylserine at 800 mgs.

Posted April 30, 2014
I understand that buying all these ingredients separately would not be cheap and with the number of servings you get in this it is not a lot. If your having to buy other supplements also it really starts to add up. That is why this could not be something I always use because of price even thought it's good. If a product like this could last me as long as a 5lb tub of protein than I would be fine with the price.

Posted April 30, 2014
Glad you enjoyed it Guru :)
I am happy to of been able to share some love by sending this your way.
Great reviews too!

willyb87

Posted May 1, 2014
Keep your eyes open on GNC, every now and then they put up their 30-40%off or BOGO sale and you can snag this for cheap( or well cheap for this stuff) i think i got a big container for like 50 bucks shipped after all discounts.

Hype or the real deal?

There are two types of reviewers for this sup believers and non-believers. The twins on youtube bash the product while most on here seem to like it but hate the cost. Turns out, I am believer and will continue to be as long as the price is right.

My review;
Taste 10/10
I...

My review;
Taste 10/10
I went through two tubs, Bazooka Fruit and Orange Pushup. I know, I know, just asking for orange pushup will test any guys manliness but it was worth the embarrassment.. Orange p/u tastes like Tang and mixed well in my blender bottle. No issues with clumping. Bazooka Fruit was just as good and had zero after taste. The taste is awesome. I would mix two scoops w 20 0z ice cold water and the flavor was true and not watered down.

Effectiveness; 10/10
No better test than the DOMS test after a brutal leg day. Again, I was skeptical like most but wound up being sold and a believer. I am 6'3" cursed w chicken legs and have to work damn hard to add size. I push myself to the point of lightheaded and nausea and the DOMS can be brutal for after a good leg day. Two scoops right after, sometimes during, helped with recovery like no other supplement. I am a little sore the next two days but not anywhere near without using the afterglow.

No side effects to speak of, no bloat no nausea. No water weight gain. As for benefits, No crash after hard workout. Recovered faster, I tended to push harder. As for size, it is a byproduct of hard work and being able to push more in the gym.

Cost 7/10
I was hesitant due to the Outrageous Price. It retails for 100.00 or more for a 4.23# tub. I have to give a BIG Thank You to Adammazda06 for the heads up on the best price so far 69.99 + shipping from Performance Nutrition for a 4# tub all flavors.

You have to call in as they don't sell it online or if you are lucky enough to live in MA walk in.

Ingredient profile 10/10
; Been covered ad nauseum but here we go:
2 scoops 60g gets you 20g protein (whey protein isolate), 32g carbs, 7.5 g L-Glutamine, L-leucine akg 1375mg,l-valine akg 625 akg, l-isoleuci akg 625mg, taurine krealkalyn (creatine), Cissus Quandrangularis (joints),Phosphatidylserine (cortisol blocker), pomegranate powder, R-ALA and grape seed extract.

Like everyone has said before me, I don't know how they justify the retail price and hope they realize they would sell more if they lowered the price. They would easily make up the cost in volume sales because it is a quality product and it works.

At 18.00-20.00 a pound this product is pricey but worth it if you push hard and want a great recovery product.

Again, I was a skeptic at first but bit the bullet when I found a deal.

Posted September 30, 2013
Damn, these kind of reviews make me want to get some. But I then see the $58 tag for 16 serving in amazon and forget about it.

Posted September 30, 2013
Call Performance Nutrition in Mass. 69.00 for a 4# tub any flavor. Cheapest price around. It's a great change from regular chocolate and Vanilla..

Posted September 30, 2013
I'd love to. I live abroad though man.

Posted September 30, 2013
Got this on a GNC Bogo 30% discount 2 2.2lb tubs for $50, winner winner chicken dinner, I love this stuff

Posted December 26, 2013
Just an FYI, Amazon IS NOT a certified BioRhythm retailer.

Posted December 27, 2013
Bioquest, Thanks for making a solid product and you're welcome for commenting on my Glowing review.... get it glowing...as in afterglow...lol that's gold Jerry!

Posted December 27, 2013
Sorry I meant biorythm not bioquest.. festivus kicked my butt this year.