P90X Results and Recovery Formula

By: BeachBody

P90X Results and Recovery Formula is a Post-Workout Product manufactured by BeachBody. It is designed to feed the muscles with protein, carbs and amino acids immedaitely following a workout to assist in muscle recovery and growth.

What should I take with P90X Results and Recovery Formula?
Dizzizziay
  January 6, 2011

Don't get me wrong. I love P90X, I love Insanity. I think they are great programs. I'm even a BeachBody Coach. BUT... I DO NOT recommend their products!!! They are jam packed with sugar!! It has 36 g of sugar, 220 calories, and only 10 grams of protein. UGH - You're better off just eating a chobani greek yogurt... that has 18 g of protein, 100 cals, and no fat. (Although I'm not a huge fan of anything dairy post workout!!)

It claims it has a good carb to protein ratio, but like I said, there is better stuff out there. And yes, it does have vitamins and minerals, but if you're taking your multi, that's no big deal.

It does taste good, but I just think there is better and more affordable stuff on the market. I liked Accelerade, but even that has too much sugar for me. I think my husband likes Xtend for post workout stuff, but I could be wrong.

Either way, before buying this product, do your research about what you are looking for in a post workout recovery drink. It was not for me.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Amazing
  • Refreshing After Hard Workouts
  • Too Much Sugar

• taysab23
    January 6, 2011

Good review.. i did the p90x for a month and loved it.
  April 27, 2011

This drink is hands down amazing, it taste like an orange Julius and I could drink it for days. Its very refreshing after a hard workout, especially cardio ones such as Plyo for all P90xer's. That being said a Krispy Kreme Doughnut is also hands down amazing and I could eat dozens of them. P90X drink is very tasty but I don't feel like I recover extremely fast from drinking it. It does have some Creatine, L-Arginine and L-Glutamine, but not nearly enough. Its got 36 grams of sugar and only 10 grams of protein. Typically BeachBody makes wonderful products, just don't go with their supplements.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Amazing
  • Cremesicle
  • Refreshing After Hard Workouts
  • Too Much Sugar

My first review so go easy on me.

Post workout the most optimal thing for your body is 4 grams of simple carbs for every 1 gram of protein (4:1 recovery ratio). Check out this article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pierce34.htm

My first review so go easy on me.

There's only two competetors out there to this stuff, Accelerade and Endurox. The ingredients and taste in this make this the best choice by far, but the price is a bit higher. I used Accelerade until my budget allowed me to afford this stuff every month now I'll never go back...

Mixability 10/10 - Toss it in a shaker cup and 10 seconds later it's smooth no chunks. When I mixed with a spoon occasionally there would be just a few chunks left but no big deal.

Taste 10/10 - Post workout is the one time of day it's ok to drink some tasty sugary carbs and have it be beneficial to your body. This stuff is like the ultimate reward after a workout, and exactly what you need to stay anabolic. I look forward to drinking it every resistance / HIIT training day. It refuels your sugar levels quickly and balances your body right back out again, I get no post workout downer feeling or headaches after I started this stuff.

Price 7/10 - You get what you pay for, but it is a bit pricier. Beachbody is known for bar none top of the line stuff, but the price is always something to consider. I used Accelerade until my budget increased to allow me this stuff. If you can't afford it, get Accelerade, tastes just as good as well.

Timing note: Best taken immediately after a workout, but no later than 30 minutes after to avoid going catabolic. Once you take your appropriate amount (which you can find out in the article I posted above) you'll want to wait 60 minutes to allow it to digest before eating anything else, otherwise you'll mess with the 4:1 ratio.

Overall: A staple in successful nutrition timing and a very tasty treat after exercise. The recovery formula is still somewhat recent in the athletic community but I have no doubt it'll grow over time. Until then people who drink these types of drinks will see much better results than those who drink straight protein after workouts.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Amazing
  • Refreshing After Hard Workouts
  • Optimal Post Workout Supplement
  • Reduces Soreness
  • Price

• AlphandOmega

Good first review.
  • Manimal
    February 24, 2012

Well written but I completely (and respectfully) disagree with pretty much all of your information.

• Jacob83
    February 24, 2012

Appreciate the feedback Manimal. Did you get a chance to read my article that I posted from Bodybuilding.com?

What are your thoughts on that and major reasons you disagree? I'm always seeking to advance my own knowledge on this stuff but I haven't heard anyone disagree with these post workout recommendations. Please share!
  • Manimal
    February 24, 2012

Articles like that are a dime a dozen, mah man. The post workout anabolic window is a huge marketing gimmick and will hopefully die out within the next decade or so.

I did post workout shakes, timed them, timed meals, and all that for years. I have been doing all whole foods whenever relevant to my schedule for months now and I will never go back to the old way. I'm recovering better than ever and I look better than I ever have.

Shakes aren't the devil. But they certainly aren't necessary. Our bodies are chemically engineered to process whole foods better and to use nutrients as needed, clear and cut.

Alot of pier-reviewed studies don't even show protein synthesis to go up for a couple hours after resistance training and fast glycogen replenishment is only required for people that do endurance sports several times a week (ie- track runners, marathon runners, etc).

Bottom line, shakes can be used to help meet protein needs but I recommend whole foods as much as possible. Alot of protein shakes and especially carb supplements leave out important micro nutrients as well.
Copyright © 2015 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.